[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1948057 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: NM
« Reply #2300 on: April 03, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
Furnaces have a device called a flame sensor.  You'll find it sticking in the fire box from the bottom.  It's a thin metal rod about four inches long.  Its connected with a screw to the bottom of the fire box and has a red wire attached to it.

The flame sensor serves a similar purpose to a thermocouple.  When your furnace is about to cycle, a pilot flame first heats the flame sensor.  After a certain amount of time, usually about 30 seconds, the furnace computer will call for gas to ignite in full burn mode.  If the flame sensor does not detect flame, it shuts the furnace off. 

You will know if your flame sensor is bad when the furnace keeps trying to start, but shuts off before the flame box ignites. 

Flame sensors get dirty over time, and lose their ability to work because of buildup.  All you need to do is to clean it with a piece of sand paper.  A dollar bill will work to, as it has just enough abrasiveness.   Eventually, you will need to replace the flame sensor.

Chances are, if your furnace won't start, it's the flame sensor.  It's really as simple as changing a spark plug on a car. 

A flame sensor costs $24 retail.  It's about half that cost if you know someone in the trades who has an account with a wholesaler. 

I guarantee if I called an HVAC tech, they would have spent 30 minutes checking this, cleaning that.  Bill would have been at least $200.

Your gas powered water heater works the same way.  If it stops firing, it's 98% likely to be the flame sensor too.

Tomorrow's lesson, electric dryers.

I've learned this stuff from a neighbor who has an appliance installation business for 20 years.  He's saved me a ton of money with his tips.

Very interesting and helpful.

I'm just starting to learn the wonders of fixing stuff on my own. The boiler on my espresso machine started to leak, so I looked into repair techs. Nobody here in RST, so I'd either have to (1) take it to a qualified tech in Minneapolis; (2) send it to a repair place; (3) fix it myself.

The first two options would have cost about $100 for parts and labor, plus the cost and hassle of two trips to MPLS or shipping (about $150 RT). The second option would entail buying a new gasket, plus an impact wrench and socket (about $70 total), and spending time reading, watching repair videos, and talking with a helpful tech at the place I bought the machine.

After some trepidation, I chose door #3...and it worked great! The new gasket sealed the leak, plus I learned enough about the innards that I'm ready if/when other things need repair, or if the gasket leaks again in a few years. And I have an impact wrench.

And while the cost savings is nice, the knowledge that I did it myself is awesome.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2301 on: April 03, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »
With any modern appliance, there's a youtube video that will show you how to get into diagnostic mode.  Then find a service manual for your appliance, or another youtube video to figure out the problem.

Also, toothpick + epoxy = fixes any stripped screw hole.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2302 on: April 03, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2304 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
Natives must be restless.

And Michigan was on the NCAA penalty pill when JB took over from the Dookie....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:14:29 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2305 on: April 03, 2018, 10:16:32 AM »

Well according to some, we instituted our own poison pill for some strange reason.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2306 on: April 03, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »
Well according to some, we instituted our own poison pill for some strange reason.

It was the only way to get the taste of armpit sweat out of our mouths.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2307 on: April 03, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »
It was the only way to get the taste of armpit sweat out of our mouths.

Really, I just got done eating.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2308 on: April 03, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
Really, I just got done eating.

Beef 'N Cheddar?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2309 on: April 03, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »

Not to mention JB & Wright had both been winners as head coaches before taking over their current roles ... that's such a self-serving, bush league post. The pressure must be real, no?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2310 on: April 03, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »
Not to mention JB & Wright had both been winners as head coaches before taking over their current roles ... that's such a self-serving, bush league post. The pressure must be real, no?

NM

Are ya with me, people?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2311 on: April 03, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
NM

Are ya with me, people?
Yup, let’s not ruin a good thread with basketball related stuff
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2313 on: April 03, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2314 on: April 03, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
Why is is that if you tell the clerk at the binoculars shop that you're an avid bird-watcher, he'll nod approvingly; but if you tell him that you're an avid people-watcher, he'll contact the authorities?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #2315 on: April 03, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »
NM

Are ya with me, people?

Am I with you??
Does this answer your question?

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2316 on: April 03, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
NM

Are ya with me, people?

I'm going to take things in a different direction.

MN

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2317 on: April 03, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
I'm going to take things in a different direction.

MN
Having quite a snow storm today I hear.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2318 on: April 03, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »

6+ inches of wet snow, then dropping to 10 tonight.

Couple of years ago I was fishing the Mississippi in shorts for walleye his time of year.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: April 03, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »
Furnaces have a device called a flame sensor.  You'll find it sticking in the fire box from the bottom.  It's a thin metal rod about four inches long.  Its connected with a screw to the bottom of the fire box and has a red wire attached to it.

The flame sensor serves a similar purpose to a thermocouple.  When your furnace is about to cycle, a pilot flame first heats the flame sensor.  After a certain amount of time, usually about 30 seconds, the furnace computer will call for gas to ignite in full burn mode.  If the flame sensor does not detect flame, it shuts the furnace off. 

You will know if your flame sensor is bad when the furnace keeps trying to start, but shuts off before the flame box ignites. 

Flame sensors get dirty over time, and lose their ability to work because of buildup.  All you need to do is to clean it with a piece of sand paper.  A dollar bill will work to, as it has just enough abrasiveness.   Eventually, you will need to replace the flame sensor.

Chances are, if your furnace won't start, it's the flame sensor.  It's really as simple as changing a spark plug on a car. 

A flame sensor costs $24 retail.  It's about half that cost if you know someone in the trades who has an account with a wholesaler. 

I guarantee if I called an HVAC tech, they would have spent 30 minutes checking this, cleaning that.  Bill would have been at least $200.

Your gas powered water heater works the same way.  If it stops firing, it's 98% likely to be the flame sensor too.

Tomorrow's lesson, electric dryers.

I've learned this stuff from a neighbor who has an appliance installation business for 20 years.  He's saved me a ton of money with his tips.

If your electric dryer ever stops running, it’s likely a thermal fuse.  They are easy to replace and readily availble.  Plenty of demos on YouTube.  They trip if the unit gets too hot.

We bought a used dryer 30 years ago, and replaced it after 10 years with a fancy pants Maytag.  Did my research and replaced the fuse.  Also cleaned out all the lint from the dryer and inspected the dryer vent.  Good to go

Well, 45 days later, the dryer stops again. This time, I replace the fuse, and take a leaf blower to the dryer vent and blow out the vent from the outside. Holy sh1t, the last 6 feet of vent pipe must have been plugged. Problem solved

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2320 on: April 03, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »
Am I with you??
Does this answer your question?

A picture is worth a thousand...of something.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2321 on: April 03, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »

Very white here in Rochester. Probably 6 inches with a few more overnight.

MN

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2322 on: April 03, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
Well, 45 days later, the dryer stops again. This time, I replace the fuse, and take a leaf blower to the dryer vent and blow out the vent from the outside. Holy sh1t, the last 6 feet of vent pipe must have been plugged. Problem solved
I'll continue embracing my role as "NM thread village idiot for all things mechanical" by asking.....if you blow the vent from the outside what do you do to prevent the 6 feet of lint from getting everywhere?  I'm picturing a scene like when the drywall guys sealed off a room with plastic, swore it would keep the dust in, and we were noticing it for a month. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2323 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »
I'll continue embracing my role as "NM thread village idiot for all things mechanical" by asking.....if you blow the vent from the outside what do you do to prevent the 6 feet of lint from getting everywhere?  I'm picturing a scene like when the drywall guys sealed off a room with plastic, swore it would keep the dust in, and we were noticing it for a month.

It was ugly. Fortunately I closed the door to the laundry room door. Thank god for a shop vac.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2324 on: April 03, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »
Very white here in Rochester.

Is UW holding a recruiting event?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback