[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1948137 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: NM
« Reply #2275 on: April 01, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »
Hopefully I'm not the only one to have these questions, but:
- What's a "Husky"?
- What's an "HFT special"?
- Are these short life resources?  If not, why does $70 matter?
- "MMMMMM pancakes"
- I've only heard of 'sandblasting' in excavation or etching......8 gallon seems either woefully inadequate or excessive for either of those.

Basically....what the hell are you talking about? 

I'm going to throw guesses at the first two questions. A Husky when talking about tools is a Husqvarna. It's a brand name. I have a number of Husky tools at home and we use Husky saws at work.

HFT I would guess is Harbor Freight Tools based on the context of the thread. Their prices are usually significantly lower and you can always find coupons or sales.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2276 on: April 01, 2018, 10:08:59 PM »

If not, why does $70 matter?
- "MMMMMM pancakes"

I can address these two:

1. $70 = 17.54 Beef 'N Cheddars
2.  MMMMMMMM

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2277 on: April 01, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »
Husky is actually HD’s house brand of tools.  Not sure if there’s any relation with Husqvarna.   

HD is Home Depot.

Home Depot is a place where Gen-X’ers and Boomers shop for home improvement goods.

Home Improvement was a TV show back in the 90’s starring Tim Allen whose character hosted a TV show where they talked about tools.

Home improvement (not capitalized) for Millenials is that which typically entails using an app to hook up with middle aged guys in coveralls who hook things up.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: April 02, 2018, 05:07:31 AM »
Hopefully I'm not the only one to have these questions, but:
- What's a "Husky"?
- What's an "HFT special"?
- Are these short life resources?  If not, why does $70 matter?
- "MMMMMM pancakes"
- I've only heard of 'sandblasting' in excavation or etching......8 gallon seems either woefully inadequate or excessive for either of those.

Basically....what the hell are you talking about? 

When you say "Sunday paper" do you mean your local paper that is physically delivered to your house?

I'm going to guess you've never changed the oil in your car. 

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2279 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »

I can address these two:

1. $70 = 17.54 Beef 'N Cheddars

I feel the appropriate amount of shame for not seeing the obvious.
Correct - wouldn't know where to start.  That's one of those things that I know a lot of people do it themselves, i just don't know a lot of people who do it. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: April 02, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
Honestly, all the questions have been answered better than I could have.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2281 on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »

I'm going to guess the 20% off coupon excluded compressors - as they usually do!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: April 02, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
I'm going to guess the 20% off coupon excluded compressors - as they usually do!

What compressor you looking for?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2283 on: April 02, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
Here's a new bookmark for you.

http://www.hfqpdb.com/harborfreightcoupons

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2284 on: April 02, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »
What compressor you looking for?

Oh, I only borrow compressors.  Every single one of my idiot* buddies has one, and barely uses it (mostly to blow out their irrigation systems).  Saves me $98  every few years apparently!

* (you don't need to tell them I called them idiots)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2285 on: April 02, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
Oh, I only borrow compressors.  Every single one of my idiot* buddies has one, and barely uses it (mostly to blow out their irrigation systems).  Saves me $98  every few years apparently!

* (you don't need to tell them I called them idiots)

Oh, I'm telling everyone of them....that'll show you for running a website and not giving me the value that I paid for.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: April 02, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »

I knew Scoop was my type of people. 

Off the top of your head, who can name three other things also typically excluded from the 20% coupons.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: April 02, 2018, 12:11:49 PM »

Off the top of your head, who can name three other things also typically excluded from the 20% coupons.

Welders, floor jacks and tool storage.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2288 on: April 02, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »

Things I need.
Things I want.
Things I see along the way that look kinda cool.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2289 on: April 02, 2018, 02:08:32 PM »
pizza for lunch makes me tired

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2290 on: April 02, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »
pizza for lunch makes me tired

Good thing it’s nap time then!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2292 on: April 02, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
Furnace went out. Pulled the flame sensor, hit it with some 100 grit.  Back in business.

Saved a $200 house call with a 5 min fix.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2293 on: April 02, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »
Furnace went out. Pulled the flame sensor, hit it with some 100 grit.  Back in business.

You might need to translate for naginiF. Well, and for me.

Would it help if I reiterate that ND sucks?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2294 on: April 02, 2018, 05:42:02 PM »

Don't forget "turned off the pilot"...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2295 on: April 02, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
Don't forget "turned off the pilot"...

Now that's why I stay away from things like furnaces....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2296 on: April 02, 2018, 07:30:27 PM »
You might need to translate for naginiF. Well, and for me.

Would it help if I reiterate that ND sucks?

Furnaces have a device called a flame sensor.  You'll find it sticking in the fire box from the bottom.  It's a thin metal rod about four inches long.  Its connected with a screw to the bottom of the fire box and has a red wire attached to it.

The flame sensor serves a similar purpose to a thermocouple.  When your furnace is about to cycle, a pilot flame first heats the flame sensor.  After a certain amount of time, usually about 30 seconds, the furnace computer will call for gas to ignite in full burn mode.  If the flame sensor does not detect flame, it shuts the furnace off. 

You will know if your flame sensor is bad when the furnace keeps trying to start, but shuts off before the flame box ignites. 

Flame sensors get dirty over time, and lose their ability to work because of buildup.  All you need to do is to clean it with a piece of sand paper.  A dollar bill will work to, as it has just enough abrasiveness.   Eventually, you will need to replace the flame sensor.

Chances are, if your furnace won't start, it's the flame sensor.  It's really as simple as changing a spark plug on a car. 

A flame sensor costs $24 retail.  It's about half that cost if you know someone in the trades who has an account with a wholesaler. 

I guarantee if I called an HVAC tech, they would have spent 30 minutes checking this, cleaning that.  Bill would have been at least $200.

Your gas powered water heater works the same way.  If it stops firing, it's 98% likely to be the flame sensor too.

Tomorrow's lesson, electric dryers.

I've learned this stuff from a neighbor who has an appliance installation business for 20 years.  He's saved me a ton of money with his tips. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:33:00 PM by real chili 83 »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2297 on: April 02, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »
You'll find it sticking in the fire box from the bottom.
Read, out of context, to my wife...this sentence was not received with the amusement i thought it would.

I do appreciate the detailed explanation though.  From a behavioral perspective i'm not going to try to 'hit my flame sensor with 100 grit' (unless the Mrs finds her sense of humor), but out of curiosity what factors contribute to a flame sensor getting dirty and not firing?  obviously age - but how many years, maintenance cycle - we are on a 6 mo system check, and environment - we've not cleaned the furnace room in years.

ND sucks

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2298 on: April 02, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »
Read, out of context, to my wife...this sentence was not received with the amusement i thought it would.

I do appreciate the detailed explanation though.  From a behavioral perspective i'm not going to try to 'hit my flame sensor with 100 grit' (unless the Mrs finds her sense of humor), but out of curiosity what factors contribute to a flame sensor getting dirty and not firing?  obviously age - but how many years, maintenance cycle - we are on a 6 mo system check, and environment - we've not cleaned the furnace room in years.

ND sucks

Dirty air, usually. Dryer vents not sealed, open dry laundry detergent, litter boxes, saw dust, really any thing.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: April 02, 2018, 10:48:45 PM »
Furnaces have a device called a flame sensor.  You'll find it sticking in the fire box from the bottom.  It's a thin metal rod about four inches long.  Its connected with a screw to the bottom of the fire box and has a red wire attached to it.

The flame sensor serves a similar purpose to a thermocouple.  When your furnace is about to cycle, a pilot flame first heats the flame sensor.  After a certain amount of time, usually about 30 seconds, the furnace computer will call for gas to ignite in full burn mode.  If the flame sensor does not detect flame, it shuts the furnace off. 

You will know if your flame sensor is bad when the furnace keeps trying to start, but shuts off before the flame box ignites. 

Flame sensors get dirty over time, and lose their ability to work because of buildup.  All you need to do is to clean it with a piece of sand paper.  A dollar bill will work to, as it has just enough abrasiveness.   Eventually, you will need to replace the flame sensor.

Chances are, if your furnace won't start, it's the flame sensor.  It's really as simple as changing a spark plug on a car. 

A flame sensor costs $24 retail.  It's about half that cost if you know someone in the trades who has an account with a wholesaler. 

I guarantee if I called an HVAC tech, they would have spent 30 minutes checking this, cleaning that.  Bill would have been at least $200.

Your gas powered water heater works the same way.  If it stops firing, it's 98% likely to be the flame sensor too.

Tomorrow's lesson, electric dryers.

I've learned this stuff from a neighbor who has an appliance installation business for 20 years.  He's saved me a ton of money with his tips.

Yep.  This. 

Modern appliances all throw off diagnostic codes... download a service manual online and you’d be surprised how easily you can diagnose yourself.  There is rarely a problem you’ll have that someone else hasn’t already had before you and posted the fix on the interwebs or YouTube for all to see.  Heck, I had the blower on my HVAC go out on me during the July heat wave couple years back. The diagnostics were showing nothing wrong.  So I went on the web and no fewer than a half dozen people reported circumstances with the exact same symptoms... some had called techs who said the motor needed to be replaced... but someone pulled their motor apart and found a blown inrush current limiter (basically a surge protector in thermistor form)... the others that followed found the same thing.  So instead of paying a tech $200 for a diagnosis and labor and $850 for the motor, I pulled out my $10 soldering iron, and replaced the $2 thermistor.  30 minutes later, I was kicking back with a few cold ones in 70 degree coolness.

YouTube can be amazing when used for good, instead of posting stupid cat videos.

feedback