[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: SCOTUS Leak  (Read 8289 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: SCOTUS Leak
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2022, 10:08:49 AM »
I didn't watch any of the confirmation hearings except a flew blips here and there.  My memory of Comey Barrett is that she refused to answer whether she would overturn Roe V Wade.  Are you saying these alleged 5 justices under oath specifically said they would not overturn this decision?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/susan-collins-slams-justices-neil-gorsuch-and-brett-kavanaugh-over-completely-inconsistent-draft-supreme-court-opinion-overturning-roe-v-wade/ar-AAWSErj?ocid=uxbndlbing

"If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office," Collins said in a statement. "

Ahh, Susan Collins. Still pretending she didn't know they were lying.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2022, 10:09:13 AM »
I didn't watch any of the confirmation hearings except a flew blips here and there.  My memory of Comey Barrett is that she refused to answer whether she would overturn Roe V Wade.  Are you saying these alleged 5 justices under oath specifically said they would not overturn this decision?

WASHINGTON (AP) — During his confirmation to the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh convinced Sen. Susan Collins that he thought a woman’s right to an abortion was “settled law,” calling the court cases affirming it “precedent on precedent” that could not be casually overturned.

Amy Coney Barrett told senators during her Senate confirmation hearing that laws could not be undone simply by personal beliefs, including her own. “It’s not the law of Amy,” she quipped.

To Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., Kavanaugh stressed “the importance of the precedent” under the previous court rulings and a “woman has a constitutional right to obtain an abortion before viability,” referring to the 24 weeks of pregnancy now in question under the Mississippi law, which would lower the threshold to 15 weeks.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/is-roe-v-wade-settled-law-justices-earlier-assurances-now-in-doubt

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2022, 10:11:13 AM »
As the saying goes, everyone in favor of abortion has already been born…
All Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2022, 10:11:55 AM »
With all due respect, thats BS.  I'm pretty staunchly pro-choice, but don't think the leak is at all kosher, much less the people who are celebrating it as heroic.  Many would surely be losing their minds at the fall of democracy or judicial process if it was flipped.  This situation is a sh**show from the court to the leak.

What I do find amusing, and is rampant on social media, is the number of politic obsessed people who clearly don't understand government, legislation/legislative process, or federal vs state.

I completely agree with you and am also pro-choice.  I think this discussion is two pronged with the potential decision itself and separately the fact that it was leaked. 

My take on the issue itself is that we have generally been 50/50 since the 70's.  My thought has always been that if you overturn it however abortions become much less safe for people.   

As far as the leak it's extremely concerning imo.  Our institutions seem to be at risk.  Now maybe some here and across the country want to completely overthrow our system, but that prospect isn't exactly thrilling to me and the vast majority of American citizens.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »
As the saying goes, everyone in favor of abortion has already been born…

Thanks for gracing us with that exceptionally stupid saying.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2022, 10:15:51 AM »
Good luck to J.P. Mandel in the Ohio primary tonight! I look forward to his posts on Trooth Senshul.

Hey, that’s my favorite candidate you are talking about.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2022, 10:16:47 AM »
In before the lock, but anyone wringing their hands about the leak is just doing so because they feel dirty dancing a jig in the town square about the result.

And anyone who has no issue with the leak is because it’s the last remaining chance of getting their preferred outcome of Roe not being overturned.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2022, 10:21:55 AM »
This is going to be an extremely difficult summer. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2022, 10:22:18 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/susan-collins-slams-justices-neil-gorsuch-and-brett-kavanaugh-over-completely-inconsistent-draft-supreme-court-opinion-overturning-roe-v-wade/ar-AAWSErj?ocid=uxbndlbing

"If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office," Collins said in a statement. "

Susan Collins is a liar AND a fool.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2022, 10:22:48 AM »
Basically, yes.
Basically isn't an answer. Did they or didn't they specifically answer that question.
Also, the decision hasn't been published yet, it's a draft.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »
And anyone who has no issue with the leak is because it’s the last remaining chance of getting their preferred outcome of Roe not being overturned.

Focusing on the leak here is like focusing on a gunshot victim's scraped knee in the ER, instead of the gaping hole in his chest.
Yeah, the leak is a problem, but it's not the problem.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »
Let’s try to look at the good news from this ruling.

No more death penalty. The Rs have shown that they respect every human life.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry if I can’t be serious. But since perjury by the highest jurists in the country is a ‘thing’ now, there was never a way this day was not going to come.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2022, 10:27:42 AM »
Impeach the leaky judge!!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2022, 10:28:55 AM »
https://constitution.congress.gov/resources/decisions-overruled/

You've heard of at least some of these I'd wager.

I know my eyes are not that great but I did not see the Brown vs Board of education decision over turning almost 70 years of precidence where separate but equal education was permissible under the constitution. Is there something wrong with the filter.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2022, 10:28:57 AM »
Good luck to J.P. Mandel in the Ohio primary tonight! I look forward to his posts on Trooth Senshul.

🐷🐷

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2022, 10:30:34 AM »
Focusing on the leak here is like focusing on a gunshot victim's scraped knee in the ER, instead of the gaping hole in his chest.
Yeah, the leak is a problem, but it's not the problem.

In some/most instances I would agree with you.  But something as contentious and combative as this decision the motivation behind the leak (imo) was to gin up public anger and emotion to try and intimidate justices to change their mind.  So assuming that was the intention I think that’s an incredibly dangerous road to go down.  I could be overreacting but only time will tell I suppose.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2022, 10:31:34 AM »
Let’s try to look at the good news from this ruling.

No more death penalty. The Rs have shown that they respect every human life.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry if I can’t be serious. But since perjury by the highest jurists in the country is a ‘thing’ now, there was never a way this day was not going to come.

You know abortion doesn’t go away with this ruling right?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2022, 10:37:34 AM »
In some/most instances I would agree with you.  But something as contentious and combative as this decision the motivation behind the leak (imo) was to gin up public anger and emotion to try and intimidate justices to change their mind.  So assuming that was the intention I think that’s an incredibly dangerous road to go down.  I could be overreacting but only time will tell I suppose.

1. The ruling is the source of the anger. It was going to be there whether the ruling was leaked or published as normal. People aren't any more or less angry because this was leaked.
2. I suspect the justices aren't so obtuse as to be unaware that it would stir anger.
3. If they allow public reaction to a ruling change their mind, they're not worthy of serving on the court.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2022, 10:41:14 AM »

Is she concerned yet?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2022, 10:41:44 AM »
You know abortion doesn’t go away with this ruling right?

Tell that to women in Texas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and the 10 other states with trigger laws set to go into effect as soon as Roe is overturned.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2022, 10:50:30 AM »
Tell that to women in Texas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and the 10 other states with trigger laws set to go into effect as soon as Roe is overturned.
If Roe is overturned, does that also ban all means of transportation? Or free will to move?
All Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
If Roe is overturned, does that also ban all means of transportation? Or free will to move?

Super easy for a poor woman in San Antonio to hop a flight to Los Angeles and rent a hotel for a couple nights on top of paying for a costly medical procedure.
Oh yeah, I forgot. Health care is for the rich.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2022, 11:02:18 AM »
1. The ruling is the source of the anger. It was going to be there whether the ruling was leaked or published as normal. People aren't any more or less angry because this was leaked.
2. I suspect the justices aren't so obtuse as to be unaware that it would stir anger.
3. If they allow public reaction to a ruling change their mind, they're not worthy of serving on the court.

Fair points and I don’t think it will change the majority opinion but doesn’t make the intent of the leak any less dangerous. If this changes nothing aside from the timeline of the public anger/reaction why do it I guess?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2022, 11:06:19 AM »
Not that anyone thought it was fake, but the court has confirmed that the draft ruling is legit.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1521509850181742592/photo/1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »

Glad that you NOW are against ginning up public anger and emotion leading to dangerous or even deadly outcomes. Can't we just call this leak "tourists taking a stroll through the Capitol" or "antifa being agitators"?

Seriously ...

Though I'm staunchly pro-choice, I actually think the leak wasn't good. IMHO, we simply shouldn't have leaks from SCOTUS.

But that roQQet and maybe a couple of others here are pinning blame for it on Politico -- as if any news organization would have or should have ignored such a leak -- is beyond comical.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson