[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 442253 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »
Dead on correct. I get great enjoyment tuning into Bernstein and Boores Boers (sp) after the Bears lose to the Packers. Extremely Very entertaining.

Fixed it for you.

Flipside, WTMJ used to get some hilarious drunk callers after Packers losses. It seems like they've cut down on these callers the past five years, I remember one boorish drunk lady calling up and was completely incoherent.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
Fixed.

That's part of it.

It's a mix of disappointment, anger, jealousy, and alcohol.

It's like Cleveland, but with less despair and self loathing. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:56 AM »

It's like Cleveland, but with less despair and self loathing. 

Brought to you by the Minnesota Office of Tourism

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
Football fans in general are the most meatheaded (my unscientific research).

Packers fans are knowledgeable, but they do consider the Packers the crown jewel of sports, and anybody that says ANYTHING against them, is automatically some sort of hater... and thus the meatheaded reaction begins.

The Vikes have their share of white trash fans who seem to just carry around too much anger... and far too many of them wear face paint. It's disturbing the amount of face paint at a Vikes game.

Bear fans always want more defense, RUN THE BALL!, and they want every player to give 110%, "Just like Butkus!" The post game radio shows are EPIC when they lose.

I don't know anything about Detroit fans.

Dead-on!

As a Bears fan, I have to say the proportion of meathead Bears fans out there is pretty substantial. However, the silver lining to every Bears loss is listening to B&B take calls the following day because it's just so damn entertaining, especially when B&B relish in the idiocy of their callers and Dan doesn't go off on them.

After a loss, the meathead Bears fans tend to rip the head coach for not focusing solely on defense and smashmouth football (aka "Chicago Bears football").

After a loss, the meathead Packers fans tend to blame the officials or some sort of flukish happening because there's no way that another team could have just flat-out beaten their beloved Pack without some sort of strange turn of events.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
Dead-on!

After a loss, the meathead Packers fans tend to blame the officials or some sort of flukish happening because there's no way that another team could have just flat-out beaten their beloved Pack without some sort of strange turn of events.

Right, because no other fan base would complain about that Seattle game last year for example.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Right, because no other fan base would complain about that Seattle game last year for example.

That's obviously an exception.  But as a Bears fan I loved the call.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »

Packers fans are knowledgeable, but they do consider the Packers the crown jewel of sports, and anybody that says ANYTHING against them, is automatically some sort of hater... and thus the meatheaded reaction begins.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »

Guns,

At the risk of keeping this ridiculous topic going….

The reason I brought the Seattle game up was because Merritt was one of those last year who thought the call was accurate and Packer fans were just being crybabies.  I am pretty sure that is one of the things he was alluding to in his post.  That sounded an awful lot like a bias, meatball fan, as you put it, accusing other fan bases of exactly the same thing he is/was doing.

The fact of the matter is if you are a fan of a team, you have an automatic built in bias to some degree. I find it amusing that some Bear fans here play the “meatball fan” or team bias card every time someone says something negative about the Bears or positive about their rivals.  I call it as I see it, is their some bias based on my perspective, hell yes, but there is just as much on the other side too, you and others do not see it because of the nfl fan blinders.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »
Guns,

At the risk of keeping this ridiculous topic going….

The reason I brought the Seattle game up was because Merritt was one of those last year who thought the call was accurate and Packer fans were just being crybabies. I am pretty sure that is one of the things he was alluding to in his post.  That sounded an awful lot like a bias, meatball fan, as you put it, accusing other fan bases of exactly the same thing he is/was doing.

Show me where I said that. I'll save you the time - I didn't. If anything, I probably said that I could see how the official could make that call in real time and that there were other bad calls in the game that went in favor of GB.

The fact of the matter is if you are a fan of a team, you have an automatic built in bias to some degree. I find it amusing that some Bear fans here play the “meatball fan” or team bias card every time someone says something negative about the Bears or positive about their rivals.  I call it as I see it, is their some bias based on my perspective, hell yes, but there is just as much on the other side too, you and others do not see it because of the nfl fan blinders.

Again, show me some examples of Bears fans on here playing the team bias card because someone says something negative about the Bears.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »
Show me where I said that. I'll save you the time - I didn't. If anything, I probably said that I could see how the official could make that call in real time and that there were other bad calls in the game that went in favor of GB.

Heres one:

- 12 men on the field call that was reviewed. Roach was off the field. Led to 3 points for GB instead of a punt.
- Williams' INT clearly hit the ground. Led to 3 points for GB.
- Personal foul call on Carimi should have been off-setting or nothing. Moved Bears from 2nd and 11 at GB 38 to 2nd and 26 at own 47.
- Illegal contact call on Wright. He stood there and Finley ran into him. Instead of 2nd and 10 at CHI 38, 1st and 10 at CHI 33.
- Raji (maybe Pickett?) grabbed Allen's facemask not once, but twice, while bringing him down in the backfield. Led to 3rd and 6 at own 41 instead of 1st and 10 at GB 44.

Another:

Dear Packers,

Enjoy the win we gave you.

Sincerely,
The Chicago Bears & Replacement Refs

Another:

Don't get me wrong, the Bears did plenty to lose this game by themselves but the Packer-friendly officiating didn't help.

Specifically to the Seattle game:

The play was not reviewable because simultaneous possession is considered a judgment call and when it is slowed down to frame-by-frame and viewed from difference angles, it becomes obvious that an incorrect call was made. However, if you watch the play in real time (with an unbiased eye), it's easy to see why an official could view Jennings and Tate having possession of the football simultaneously, especially when you consider that the official himself was running and did not have the same angle(s) as the TV camera(s). The play happened very quickly and Tate briefly ended up on top of Jennings with both holding the football. That's what the official was basing his call on. If anything, the "outrage" should be over the fact that a play that could have been easily corrected was considered to be non-reviewable.

That's an awful lot of ref complaining from someone who is accusing others of it.

Again, show me some examples of Bears fans on here playing the team bias card because someone says something negative about the Bears.

What the hell does this have to do with Cutler? Take off the green and gold glasses for christs sake. This has to do with common sense and not making idiotic statements. He's getting beaten up nationally for his stupid comments and rightfully so. My god, who cares that he's the Packers QB. Any idiot that said that should get hammered.

You are correct you didn't say anything specifically about the Seattle call being incorrect, but you did chirp about quite a bit. Also quite a bit of ref complaining in general, and that's just a few.

Don't get me wrong I think you are one of the better posters here, but I bet you wear some blue and orange glasses once in a while.  (Sorry about the difficult to read post, my computer illiterate ars couldn't figure out how to post old posts.)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:54:35 PM by hairyworthen »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2013, 02:53:29 PM »

Where did I say that the officials cost the Bears a game? Again, I actually said specifically, "the Bears did plenty to lose this game by themselves." I also never said that I don't point out poor calls made by the officials. That's different than many Packers fans I know who seem to think that any time their team loses, it's a total fluke.

What is the context of the other quotes? Specifically, the bad calls in the Bears-GB game and the bottom quote about Cutler?

In the end, you're really proving the point that Packers fans often get all riled up when you say anything remotely negative about their team.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »
Where did I say that the officials cost the Bears a game? Again, I actually said specifically, "the Bears did plenty to lose this game by themselves." I also never said that I don't point out poor calls made by the officials. That's different than many Packers fans I know who seem to think that any time their team loses, it's a total fluke.

What is the context of the other quotes? Specifically, the bad calls in the Bears-GB game and the bottom quote about Cutler?

In the end, you're really proving the point that Packers fans often get all riled up when you say anything remotely negative about their team.

I just cut and pasted direct posts made by you, all complaining about refs. The bottom quote was made by MUdish, but it is an example of someone playing the team bias card.

I really am not riled up at all and don't get riled up from negative comments about the packers. What I am trying to point out is that Bear fans and other fans act the same way, yet call out others for the exact same behavior. As far as I am concerned this pissing match is over.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »

Plenty of Bears fans got riled up here when I told them Cutler isn't a top rate QB.

Fans of all teams do this, yet some people like to act like Packers fans are the only ones that do this.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
Plenty of Bears fans got riled up here when I told them Cutler isn't a top rate QB.

Fans of all teams do this, yet some people like to act like Packers fans are the only ones that do this.

thank you, that's all I was trying to say, you did it in one sentence

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
I really am not riled up at all and don't get riled up from negative comments about the packers. What I am trying to point out is that Bear fans and other fans act the same way, yet call out others for the exact same behavior. As far as I am concerned this pissing match is over.

Of course all fans do this. I never said otherwise. That's what being a fan is. However, based on my own experiences, Packers fans seem to do this far more than other fans.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
Of course all fans do this. I never said otherwise. That's what being a fan is. However, based on my own experiences, Packers fans seem to do this far more than other fans.

ok, last thing, (I hope). Maybe you are right, packer fans may bitch more and may be more defensive, I don't know. But, maybe just maybe your bias as a Bear fan and hatred for the Packers slants your analysis and your own experiences.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »

What the hell does this have to do with Cutler? Take off the green and gold glasses for christs sake. This has to do with common sense and not making idiotic statements. He's getting beaten up nationally for his stupid comments and rightfully so. My god, who cares that he's the Packers QB. Any idiot that said that should get hammered.

Hairy, man...I'm almost at a loss on what to say here...umm...YOU brought up Jay Cutler (not me, you) in reference to Ryan Braun and Aaron Rodgers. How in the hell is this bias of me as a Bears fan to bash you on this? Again, Y.O.U. brought him up....so yeah...it has ZERO to do with the Bears, never did have anything to do with them or Cutler.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2013, 03:57:44 PM »

Hairy, man...I'm almost at a loss on what to say here...umm...YOU brought up Jay Cutler (not me, you) in reference to Ryan Braun and Aaron Rodgers. How in the hell is this bias of me as a Bears fan to bash you on this? Again, Y.O.U. brought him up....so yeah...it has ZERO to do with the Bears, never did have anything to do with them or Cutler.

Dish,

Didn't mean to call you out on anything. Merritt asked for an example of a poster calling a Packer fan bias. The quote "take off the green and gold glasses..." pretty much is telling me I have bias.
 I am not insinuating that you are bias. In fact, you are probably the most un-bias poster here regarding the NFL. Although that little Bear fan in you comes out once in a while.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
Dish,

Didn't mean to call you out on anything. Merritt asked for an example of a poster calling a Packer fan bias. The quote "take off the green and gold glasses..." pretty much is telling me I have bias.
 I am not insinuating that you are bias. In fact, you are probably the most un-bias poster here regarding the NFL. Although that little Bear fan in you comes out once in a while.

Looks like I misunderstood your original point. I thought you meant that every time someone says something negative about the Bears, the Bears fans show their bias by defending their team/players, not that Bears fans call out other fans as being biased. Don't want to speak for anyone else, but seems like others understood it that same way.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
Looks like I misunderstood your original point. I thought you meant that every time someone says something negative about the Bears, the Bears fans show their bias by defending their team/players, not that Bears fans call out other fans as being biased. Don't want to speak for anyone else, but seems like others understood it that same way.

Correct, my bad, having problems articulating today.  My point is almost every time I make a negative comment about the Bears or positive comment about the packers I get called bias or wearing green and gold glasses by bear fans. It's not true, I actually try to give supporting evidence to my comments.

I don't think Bear fans particularly over defend their team or players, maybe the opposite is more true.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »
I think fans are fans no matter which team (speaking in general terms) In your experience you mention that Packer fans sem to do this far more than others, question, is that perhaps just because you have more exposure to Packer fans than other teams fans?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
For the record, Packer fans are great fans, maybe the best in the NFL. There are a handful of franchises that sell out, travel well, have tradition. I'd put the Pack, Bears, Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Redskins, Chiefs as probably those franchises that stand out. I've said this before, but both my work experience with the Bears and much moreso as a season ticket holder, for the most part, Bears/Pack games are civilized at Soldier Field. No opponent has more fights in the stands than when the Vikings come to town. What exactly that means, I don't know, I'm using my sample size of the last 20 years.

Packer fans should be passionate and knowledgable. They have a great facility, tradition/history on par with any franchise, extremely well managed/coached, and have perhaps the best paper guy in the league in McGinn. All of this combined with being the smallest market in the league, and having a fully invested (literally) community team makes the Packers franchise probably the most unique in sports. To an extent, the Bears and Packers will forever be tied at the hip, with Halas (to a degree) making the NFL system work so Green Bay could survive. Sure I'm a Bears fan, but being an NFL fan and having gone to school in the state of Wisconsin, I have the utmost respect for the Packers. Of course I want to see the Pack (and Vikes, Lions) lose each week and the Bears win, but the NFL fan in me far and away appreciates great play and great coaching, no matter what colors the other team (or my team) has on.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »
For the record, Packer fans are great fans, maybe the best in the NFL. There are a handful of franchises that sell out, travel well, have tradition. I'd put the Pack, Bears, Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Redskins, Chiefs as probably those franchises that stand out. I've said this before, but both my work experience with the Bears and much moreso as a season ticket holder, for the most part, Bears/Pack games are civilized at Soldier Field. No opponent has more fights in the stands than when the Vikings come to town. What exactly that means, I don't know, I'm using my sample size of the last 20 years.

Packer fans should be passionate and knowledgable. They have a great facility, tradition/history on par with any franchise, extremely well managed/coached, and have perhaps the best paper guy in the league in McGinn. All of this combined with being the smallest market in the league, and having a fully invested (literally) community team makes the Packers franchise probably the most unique in sports. To an extent, the Bears and Packers will forever be tied at the hip, with Halas (to a degree) making the NFL system work so Green Bay could survive. Sure I'm a Bears fan, but being an NFL fan and having gone to school in the state of Wisconsin, I have the utmost respect for the Packers. Of course I want to see the Pack (and Vikes, Lions) lose each week and the Bears win, but the NFL fan in me far and away appreciates great play and great coaching, no matter what colors the other team (or my team) has on.

just so you know where I come from, I respect the Bears and their fans. There are not many franchises that can match their history. However, as a Packer fan they are still a bitter rival, but that doesn't mean I don't respect them.  If you would ask me my most hated team the Bears would be a ways down the list believe it or not. Vikings would earn the top spot followed by Cowboys and Lions.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:24:55 PM by hairyworthen »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »
When asked if the Vikings have championship qualities...
-------

"We do," Jennings told KFXN-FM, via FoxSportsNorth.com. "One of the things that obviously drew me to coming over here was the makeup of the team. When I came over here, I kind of had, I was kind of brainwashed. There's no 'kind of' to it. Being over in Green Bay, you're brainwashed to think that anyone in the division is just tiers below.

"So coming over here I meet the people within the organization and I'm like, 'Wow, these are really great people.' "

Skol Vikings!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.