[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History?  (Read 1112 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History?
« on: May 03, 2024, 12:47:47 PM »
A person posted this question on Reddit and it got me wondering. If all else in their career trajectory happened as it did at MU who hurt the most leaving?

Obvious answer is Sam

Other contenders are Deonte and McKay, Maymon probably Mbakwe

Garcia & Joey, put up decent numbers but seemed way over ranked in HS. Haanif & Christopherson got pretty good their final years but were average prior. Taylor did well in the mid majors his last year.

Who else truly hurt leaving and watching their success elsewhere? (Non grad transfer)
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
Re: Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 12:49:42 PM »
Odartey would have helped in 2004.

Not a transfer but LeDarryl killed me. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 12:57:27 PM »
The stories on each are so fascinating and so specific.

Sam
Jeronne
Odartey

Garcia didn't hurt.   Any transfer that becomes a punchline at the banquet three years later can't hurt too much.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 01:06:44 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 12:59:08 PM »
A person posted this question on Reddit and it got me wondering. If all else in their career trajectory happened as it did at MU who hurt the most leaving?

Obvious answer is Sam

Garcia & Joey, put up decent numbers but seemed way over ranked in HS. Haanif & Christopherson got pretty good their final years but were average prior. Taylor did well in the mid majors his last year.

Who else truly hurt leaving and watching their success elsewhere? (Non grad transfer)

Jameel’s departure was an omen for that season.

Would have been nice to have Mbkawe but I’m not sure how those rosters are different if he stays.

It’s Sam, though his departure hastened the end of the Wojo era.  Odartey is probably a close second

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 01:08:20 PM »

Garcia didn't hurt.   Any transfer that becomes a punchline at the banquet three years later can't hurt too much.

Story time? Did I miss something?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 01:09:15 PM »
I second the Odartey Blankston call above. Very good looking player and could have been a key piece when he left.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 01:25:22 PM »
Story time? Did I miss something?
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/board/104085/Contents/great-banquetlasted-45-hrs-and-it-seemed-like-2-hrs-230258647/?page=1

At the end of the first post, Dodds references a remark Shaka dropped about a player leaving who thought MU was going to stink and now Oso is better than that player.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 01:38:58 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/board/104085/Contents/great-banquetlasted-45-hrs-and-it-seemed-like-2-hrs-230258647/?page=1

At the end of the first post, Dodds references a remark Shaka dropped about a player leaving who thought MU was going to stink and now Oso is better than that player.

Hah nice. Thanks for the explanation
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 02:00:43 PM »

Obvious answer is Sam

Karon Bradley would have helped as a point guard

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 03:24:35 PM »
Not a transfer…..but when Joe Wolf declared for UNC , My Grandpa almost cried. My Uncles were yelling and swearing. They knew that the slope was slipping and weren’t too happy.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 03:32:24 PM »
I second the Odartey Blankston call above. Very good looking player and could have been a key piece when he left.

I agree and also think he could have helped in the Final Four.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 08:19:35 PM »
Or maybe they wouldn’t have made the Final Four with him around.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 09:17:55 PM »
Odartey was tough but it probably allowed Novak to get more run, and they don't win that Mizzou game without him.

Sam leaving still bugs me. He was my favorite player on those teams from the time he got to campus. Decided to leave what would have been a pretty solid legacy at MU. It obviously worked out for him anyway.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 09:30:41 PM »
Odartey was tough but it probably allowed Novak to get more run, and they don't win that Mizzou game without him.

Sam leaving still bugs me. He was my favorite player on those teams from the time he got to campus. Decided to leave what would have been a pretty solid legacy at MU. It obviously worked out for him anyway.

I guess it did. But nothing he did at UVA got him to the NBA. He was the same player at UVA, and led a team that was coming off a national title to a first round upset exit. All he really did was delay his NBA career by a year. In a career with a limited earning window, probably not the best thing to do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 10:02:43 PM »

It’s Sam, though his departure hastened the end of the Wojo era.  Odartey is probably a close second

Sam stays, no Shaka. No Big East regular season title. No Big East tournament championship. No back to back #2 seeds. No bright future. Instead, a team/program stuck in mediocrity.

His jersey should be hanging in the rafters. His transfer was that essential to our resurrection.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2024, 10:06:02 PM »
Sam stays, no Shaka. No Big East regular season title. No Big East tournament championship. No back to back #2 seeds. No bright future. Instead, a team/program stuck in mediocrity.

His jersey should be hanging in the rafters. His transfer was that essential to our resurrection.

The savior. A martyr. Only thing above Jesus Christ to this Jesuit school. Sacrificed so we could survive.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2024, 10:13:36 PM »
The savior. A martyr. Only thing above Jesus Christ to this Jesuit school. Sacrificed so we could survive.

LOL. Of course he didn’t do it so we could survive. He did it for himself, to get away from a guy who couldn’t coach effectively at this level (in spite of some thinking he would deliver Duke North). The unintended consequence was Shaka and (finally) a first class program. Lucky us. Thank you Sam.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2024, 10:16:57 PM »

Two of these guys were addition by subtraction.  Not going to get into it, but the losses of these two still make me laugh. When I heard one of them was being recruited, I said to a friend "WTF".   .The other one shouldn't have been recruited either.  The other two I don't know enough about, so can't comment.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:19:40 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2024, 10:46:32 PM »
Sam stays. No Big East regular season title.

I mean that's debatable, do Markus, Sam and crew get one standing position better with age minus Joey? I'd say probably. What's not debatable is that we certainly don't get a tournament run with them their senior year either way. Also very likely still a gigantic step down despite a phenomenal class in 2021. then we likely can't get rid of the guy who just went 2nd in BE and followed it with 1st.

All that said it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt seeing him not be an MU guy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2024, 10:50:03 PM »
LOL. Of course he didn’t do it so we could survive. He did it for himself, to get away from a guy who couldn’t coach effectively at this level

Given that he (and his brother) would have stayed at Marquette had Markus gone pro, Sam left to get away from his former roommate and close friend.

Turned out, Sam didn’t really get any more shots at Virginia, nor did he experience any more success.

And had Covid not ended the 2019-20 season early, the teammates and coach Sam left behind at Marquette would have made the NCAA tourney without him.

So not sure how Sam had much to do with Wojo getting the boot 2 years later.

The guys we really should be thanking for Shaka being at Marquette now were the wonderful basketball studs of Abilene Christian. If Texas beats that team, Shaka is probably still there.

Not that any of this matters today, of course.

Ultimately …

Glad Wojo got canned. Glad our alma mater got Shaka. And, yes, glad Sam has taken advantage of a good situation with the Celtics.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: Today at 05:11:05 AM »

Yes! Who knew that the Hausergate would lead to getting Shaka and dumping Wojo.
The Hausers living in MU Hall of Fame
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.