'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: 2008 - 2009 Expectations  (Read 13829 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
2008 - 2009 Expectations
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »
The previous post on how good we'll be got me thinking about expectations.  What ARE people's expectations for the team this year?

My thoughts

23-26 wins overall
Finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th in conference (11-12 wins total)
Make the NCAA tournament (duh) and win the first game

In short, not much different than last year.  Anyone else?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

JSwarriors08

Re: 2008 - 2009 Expectations
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »
I certainly don't think we've lost anything significant enough to cause a significant decline in our success this year, but conversely I fail to see anything that will make us significantly better this year.

In short, I agree

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
I also agree on the regular season, I think certaan matchups will cause us problems and vice versa.

However, i think we might enjoy more tournamnet success both BE and NCAA wise.  Our style and maturity will create havoc for teams and our experience will carry us thru in pressure situations

4th place BE
BE Tourney finals runnersup
Elite 8
28-9

JSwarriors08

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »
I think Elite 8 is significantly optimistic.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »
same expectations for me this year...sweet 16

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »
sweet 16

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
the only chance we have to advance far into the BE tournament is if Pitt is on the opposite side of the bracket.  You guys do realize that it's their home away from home...and they are all NY'ers???  Just ask Elmore.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
the only chance we have to advance far into the BE tournament is if Pitt is on the opposite side of the bracket.  You guys do realize that it's their home away from home...and they are all NY'ers???  Just ask Elmore.

LEEEEEEN EEEEEELLLLLLMORE

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 04:23:51 PM »
Burke and Otule will need to provide a reasonable inside presence with points, boards, and defense while staying out of foul trouble.  Barro was playing at a pretty high level for the most part as last season progressed.  Those shoes will be hard to fill.  

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 05:10:31 PM »
I am cautiously optimistic about Burke. Otule would be a major surprise if he can give anything at all. Expectations are essentially where they were last year, although the conference looks tougher this year and that may adversely affect seeding in the NCAA for us should we slip down a couple spots.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »
although the conference looks tougher this year and that may adversely affect seeding in the NCAA for us should we slip down a couple spots.

I'm feeling sick about that. Big East will get terrible seeding again.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »
If we get 23 - 26 wins, I will be thrilled!  Otule would have to be pretty good for us to significantly improve - AND, as stated above, the BEast will be a bigger beast this year - it is significantly tougher this year, I think, than previous years.  And we have some tough non-conference games.

23 - 26 would be thrilling. . .I hope we can do it, and will be cheering at all the home games. . . GO MARQUETTE!  GO BUZZ!!!!!!!

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:50:49 PM »
If we get 23 - 26 wins, I will be thrilled!  Otule would have to be pretty good for us to significantly improve - AND, as stated above, the BEast will be a bigger beast this year - it is significantly tougher this year, I think, than previous years.  And we have some tough non-conference games.

23 - 26 would be thrilling. . .I hope we can do it, and will be cheering at all the home games. . . GO MARQUETTE!  GO BUZZ!!!!!!!

MU won 25 games last year why do you think they will be worse?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:55:43 PM »
MU won 25 games last year why do you think they will be worse?

I think
1) The Big East is much tougher this year
2) We will miss Barro in the middle
3) I hope I am wrong and thrilled at the end of the season!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 07:15:30 PM »
I am with majority about center position worries.  But with returning starting four, subs Aker and Cubs, believe the wildcard is Fulce.  He needs to produce substantially more than what Fitz did off the bench. I like our experience though, Sweet 16.   

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
i dont really get any of this. unless you think the 3 seniors will get worse theres really no reason to have a season any worse than last year. by all accounts, jerel is looking sick. I think DJ will have a great year. Not to mention Lazar will only get better.

Highly likely 3 first team all BE, with one of the best defenders who can by POY.

Tons of experience. I really do not see how this team can justify not being top 3-4 in conference and do any worse than sweet 16.

I know i know new inexperienced coach and no inside presence. Remember the Illini a few years back? they almost were undefeated.

Im not saying we are as good but we have a good team with some good players, 3 that are possible NBA type guys. I know its the same guys as last year, but for the most part they should only get better. Also, there is a chip on their shoulder. this team should do VERY well

I predict 3-4 losses and a top 2 finish in conference. No worse than sweet 16. After that its hard to predict until you see certain matchups

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
I actually thought Burke outplayed Barro in many cases last year.  Not laways but I think Barro had good games and Burke had good games.  Burke always seemed to have a really short leash.  I expect really good things from him this year.  He has size, athleticism, hands, etc.  I think he will really surprise people now that he will actually get minutes.  Must stay out of foul trouble.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »
Remember the Illini a few years back? they almost were undefeated.

All five Illini starters were either drafted by an NBA team or signed as free agents after college.  4 of them were drafted, including 2 in the first round and 1 in the lottery.

Being incredibly generous, MU might get 3 guys off this team into the NBA at some point, but it would take a miracle for any of them to be drafted as high as the Illini players.

As for the supposed lack of interior play, the Illini had James Augustine, who was UofI's all time leading rebounder, all time leader in field goal percentage, and one of only 12 players in the history of the Big 10 to score 1000 points and grab 1000 rebounds.  He averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds a game during that season. 

MU has Dwight Burke, who has scored in double figures twice in his career, and has one double digit rebound game.

They aren't even close to being comparable teams.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 08:39:49 PM »
The previous post on how good we'll be got me thinking about expectations.  What ARE people's expectations for the team this year?

My thoughts

23-26 wins overall
Finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th in conference (11-12 wins total)
Make the NCAA tournament (duh) and win the first game

So, uh, what is it, Hank?

From the Cracked Sidewalks thread:

Personal predictions on the team's BE conference victories?  Somewhere between 6 - 10 wins.

Pardner

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 09:58:38 PM »
http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2008/09/30/Sports/Bullock.Author.Predicts.2630.Win.Mens.Basketball.Season-3458401-page2.shtml

Pudner says expect 26-30 wins in the Tribune based on his starters returning formula.

My expectations?  Always a National Championship.  Prediction though:  22-9, 11-7 in the BE.  Deeper run in the NCAA to Elite 8.   We will start out hot in the BE but our last five BE games are killer match-ups for us without a 5. 

Henry, worried about Buzz's in game coaching?  Realistically, a coach decides 10% of the games (or three games) with his decisions.  I say Crean won the Wisconsin game with some change up defenses and a key time out last year, but lost the Georgetown and Stanford games.  Buzz cannot do much worse.

Game prep is another story.  This was actually a strong part of TC's game.  Buzz has already stated that all the spotlight shouldn't be on him only, but on all his staff.  Even when he hired them, the assistants mentioned that Buzz said he offered them broad responsibilities.  Buzz has excellent help on the bench and he seems very organized and prepared.  I am not worried here either.

Offensively, the 4 out and 1 in motion offense will be exciting to watch.  Buzz's teams will shoot the trey's at a quick pace.  Lazar, Jerel, Mo, Fulce, Butler and a healthy dCube will add a higher shooting percentage to the perimeter to what we saw last year.  This will create spacing for DJ and Wes.  Hazel and Otule will need to add physical minutes.  Burke=boards, picks, put backs.  If we are not hot, it will be a long game.

Defensively, we will see more of the same as under TC--on ball pressure to create more possessions on O.  Buzz says (quoting Henry's recap of the Chi event) expect the "need to create turnovers and make the game "longer".  In a follow-up question later, Buzz mentioned that the team will need to play an unorthodox and unconventional style."  With the taller Fulce and Butler, we may see zone traps and situational presses.  We will give up a lot of points, but we will hope to outscore our opponents.

This year's play will reflect his senior talent that he will help showcase.  The Buzz system and its impact will be fully implemented with a taller and bigger frontcourt starting next year.  Our seniors will shine this year and will carry us deep into the postseason as Buzz will just let them do what they do best.  Just my take on it all.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »

So, uh, what is it, Hank?

2008-2009
Somewhere around 11-12 wins

2009-2010
Somewhere between 6-10 wins
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »
NON CONFERENCE 10-3 TO 12-1
BIG EAST 9-9 TO 11-7
BIG EAST TOURNAMENT 1-1 TO 2-1
NCAA TOURNAMENT 0-1 TO 2-1
WORSE CASE 20-14
BEST CASE 27-10
IF THEY END UP IN NIT, I THINK THEY WILL WIN IT.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 01:12:02 AM »
All five Illini starters were either drafted by an NBA team or signed as free agents after college.  4 of them were drafted, including 2 in the first round and 1 in the lottery.

Being incredibly generous, MU might get 3 guys off this team into the NBA at some point, but it would take a miracle for any of them to be drafted as high as the Illini players.

As for the supposed lack of interior play, the Illini had James Augustine, who was UofI's all time leading rebounder, all time leader in field goal percentage, and one of only 12 players in the history of the Big 10 to score 1000 points and grab 1000 rebounds.  He averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds a game during that season. 

MU has Dwight Burke, who has scored in double figures twice in his career, and has one double digit rebound game.

so you are saying that williams, brown, and head are not comparble at the college level to mcneal, james, and matthews? I dont care where they get drafted. Ill give you augustine as a solid contributor being the difference, and that those 3 guards may be balanced each other better. however, we have Lazar at the 4 and they had roger powel jr.

I just dont see how you think theres no comparison. Personally, I think Id take DJ, Jerel, Wes, Lazar and anyone at the 5 over their line-up of williams, brown, head, powell, and augustine. Its atleast close

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 06:32:33 AM »
It will be interesting to see if Burke can hit a free throw and actually put in a putback or feed.  If not, just expect a lot of fouls from him and an occasional rebound.  I am pretty much expecting our semi-annual  thrashings from Louisville.  We should have a respectable record, but if the BEAST improved with us only holding par, we may slip this year in BEAST standings.  Injuries will be key.  We drop off everywhere pretty quickly in talent from the bench, except at the 5 where it just can't get any worse.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:59:01 AM by NCMUFan »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »

The flaw in your analysis is that you are comparing Illinois AFTER their final four run to MU the season before.  You're comparing teams at differnet points of their development.

Let's face it, the Illinois players got NBA consideration because of their play THAT season, not because of their play the year before. 

You cannot compare the Illinois team from AFTER their final four run--you have to look at what they did the previous year--BEFORE the 2004-05 season.   THAT is where MU is today.

If you do that, then the comparson of MU right now to Illinois BEFORE their final four run is an apt comparision.  Illinois had a very slight edge making the sweet 16 the year before, while MU fell one basket short.  Illinois finished with a #11 rank versus #21 for MU--which I view as more related to the relative strenght of conference than anything else--Indeed, MU in 2008 had an RPI edge, #20 compared to #23 for the 2004 Illini.

If anything stops MU it will be the strenght of the Big East which will result in a few more losses during the year.  4 or 5 losses may be very respectible in the BE this season, but it won't get you a #1 or #2 seed, which means facing tougher teams earlier in the tournament, and more potential for a loss.

I'm not predicting that MU will make the final four, but I would say that a comparison to the 2005 Illinois team isn't as farfetched as you make it sound.

feedback