[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maymon to Mu  (Read 34000 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Maymon to Mu
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 10:37:38 AM »
My esoteric mind tells me that you're being sarcastic, which is fine.  It also tells me MU has Williams, Fulce, Maymon, Wilson, and Lazar all playing the same two positions?  Based on what I've read Maymon said he wanted to start right away, importance of 10 on a 1-10 scale.  I'm sorry, but he wouldn't have come here had he been told MU had a shot at Wilson.

It doesn't take George W. to figure out that Wilson is likely out for MU.

I have no idea what Wilson will do and won't pretend to know something I don't.

But, as to your remarks re: Maymon, those comments about starting were, in fact, made by his father, not Jeronne himself. And, they're comments his father has backed away from as recently as today.
So, if you're going to make a big deal about those comments, at least be aware of who made them and when they were made.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
As for your comment, didn't Erik Williams commit to MU while Tom Crean was the head coach?  Just asking

Houston prep writer Jim Hicks speaking to Cracked Sidewalks about Erik Williams and Chris Otule:

Was MU in on these kids before Buzz Williams joined the Marquette staff?

I doubt very seriously that Marquette was anything more than Dwyane Wade's old school before Buzz arrived. Actually, after the results of Karon Bradley (from the same HS as Erik Williams), it was a very long shot for you guys to land another kid from that very same high school, especially an underclassman. That just simply proves the impact of pre-existing relationships in recruiting.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/11/in-depth-look-at-chris-otule-and-erik.html

I'd say it's pretty evident that E. Williams and Otule (not to mention Joseph Fulce) came to Marquette because of Buzz Williams.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 10:48:14 AM »
A couple of key quotes from the Mark Miller article:

“My mom wants me to still be around people of God,” Maymon said. “She liked the fact Marquette is a Christian school. She wants me to be around God and still be listening to the word.”

“They guaranteed me a starting spot, but I know I will have to work hard to keep that starting spot,” Maymon said.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 11:12:36 AM »
Chicos,
I understand your argument that most kids committ to coaches and I agree with that statement as evidence shows with NW, TT, and any other recruit we were after before Crean left that is now on "indiana's list".  however, EW remain committed to MU after Crean left, with Buzz as the head coach, as did Fulce and O'Tule which tells me they were more committed to either the program or Buzz, the guy who recruited them.
Of course EW committed when Crean was here but let's be honest...it wasn't until Buzz was there that we landed him and before that Crean hadn't even seen Texas on a map let alone recruited anyone out of that state.  I'm still including EW and JM as Buzz's recruits...

Yes, but if Crean had stayed would people say Erik Williams committed to Buzz?  Please.  Of course not...the head coach ALWAYS gets the final credit for landing a kid because that's who he is playing for.  Downtown apparently forgot about top 100 Trevor Mbakwe just the year prior....another forward.  Or some guy named Lazar Haywar, another top 100 player...another forward.

Crean signed plenty of forwards, just not plenty of power forwards or centers.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Madison Memorial's Maymon commits
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 11:15:03 AM »
Madison Memorial's Maymon commits

Written by: Todd Rosiak

For the second year in a row and the third year in the last four, the Marquette Golden Eagles have landed Wisconsin's state high school player of the year.

Jeronne Maymon, a forward from Madison Memorial who's finishing his junior year, has given an oral commitment to play for MU and new coach Buzz Williams.

He announced his commitment earlier today, selecting MU over, among others, Tennessee, Southern California, Providence, Iowa State and Baylor. NCAA champion Kansas also expressed interest in Maymon as recently as last week.

"I was definitely elated that he picked somewhere close that wouldn't stress the family out," said Tim Maymon, Jeronne's father. "We're his support and we're always going to be his backbone, and be there for him. We just want to make sure my son will have the best college career he can have, and we want to do everything possible to be pleasing in his eyes as well as God's." 

Maymon averaged 21.0 points and 11.7 rebounds last season at Madison Memorial, which is also the alma mater of MU senior guard Wesley Matthews, who was named Wisconsin's Mr. Basketball in 2005. He will enter next season just 133 points shy of breaking Matthews' school scoring record (1,322) and 30 rebounds shy of breaking Keaton Nankivil's rebounding record (581).

Nankivil was named co-state player of the year in 2007 along with former MU guard Scott Christopherson, and currently plays at Wisconsin.

"They've got a great relationship. They're pretty much buddy-buddy," said Tim Maymon. "Him and my two sons talk all the time. Jeronne and Devonte both talk to Wesley. They do a lot of 1-on-1 techniques at Memorial, a lot of players come back and they do a lot of scrimmaging. They just help each other out, and I thank Wesley and Keaton and all them guys for being an influence and role models for Jeronne and Devonte, I really do." 

Ranked as the 58th-best player overall heading into the summer by Scout.com, Maymon burst onto the scene in March when he averaged 30.0 points, 14.6 rebounds, 4.7 blocks, 3.7 steals and 3.0 assists per game for the Spartans in the WIAA state basketball tournament, where they lost to Wauwatosa East in overtime in the Division 1 championship game.

Memorial finished with a 23-3 record.

Maymon, who visited MU unofficially on May 20, is the second member of MU's 2009-'10 recruiting class, joining 6-7 forward Erik Williams of Cypress Springs (Texas) High School. The Golden Eagles have three additional scholarships available, one of which is almost certain to be earmarked for a point guard.

He is also the first in-state recruit for Williams, who replaced Tom Crean on April 7.

Maymon likely will be projected as a combination forward at MU, although his size and strength would seem to make him a natural fit at power forward -- he's measured out at 6 feet 7 inches and 238 pounds within the last two weeks, and also boasts an impressive 7-6 wing span to go along with an estimated 36-inch vertical leap.

"(Williams) said Jeronne will play pretty much the two, three, four, and Jeronne loves the three," said Tim Maymon. "He'll play some two and some four depending on the teams. We're going to create a lot of matchups." 

Williams, ranked 83rd overall by Scout.com, is projected as a small forward who might be able to play some shooting guard as he develops.

There are questions about Maymon' s academic standing; his GPA is currently a 2.0. Tim Maymon said his son's grades have been on an uptick lately, however, and that he'll be attending summer school in an attempt to improve them even more heading into his senior year.

"His grades are decent," said Tim Maymon. "He has Bs and Cs. He has one D in chemistry that he's brought up already. He took a test and I think he brought it up to a C+, but he still has the final to go. His grades are decent. The only thing we're worried about is the core GPA, which we've got to bring up over a 2.1.

"Jeronne, I project him a 2.3, 2.4 GPA by the time his senior year is over. We're definitely glad we're committed because now we have the structure in place to get Jeronne to the right grade level."

Williams, due to NCAA regulations, is unable to comment on Maymon until he signs a national letter of intent with MU in November.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/05/27/maymon-commits-to-mu.aspx

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 11:16:59 AM »
Houston prep writer Jim Hicks speaking to Cracked Sidewalks about Erik Williams and Chris Otule:

Was MU in on these kids before Buzz Williams joined the Marquette staff?

I doubt very seriously that Marquette was anything more than Dwyane Wade's old school before Buzz arrived. Actually, after the results of Karon Bradley (from the same HS as Erik Williams), it was a very long shot for you guys to land another kid from that very same high school, especially an underclassman. That just simply proves the impact of pre-existing relationships in recruiting.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/11/in-depth-look-at-chris-otule-and-erik.html

I'd say it's pretty evident that E. Williams and Otule (not to mention Joseph Fulce) came to Marquette because of Buzz Williams.

I don't disagree...but when you say who landed a kid, it's the head coach that always gets the final credit because that's who he's playing for.  Afterall, last I checked it was the head coach that hires the assistant coaches.  ;)  You hire assistant coaches to bring in players and the captain of the ship gets the ultimate credit for that....always has and always will.

Point is, the past coaching staff signed several forwards in the last few years that were highly rated....not sure where some people suggest that wasn't the case.  Williams, Mkwabe, Hayward, Saunders were all signed by the previous coaching staff....all were top 100 or 4 star players.  It's terrific Williams is staying and I love the Maymon get but to suggest that MU under Crean wasn't landing quality forwards recently is just not factually correct.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:22:05 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2008, 11:17:38 AM »
Congrats to Buzz and the staff.  Great get!!! 
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Madison Memorial's Maymon commits
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2008, 11:19:43 AM »
Besides GPA, what does he need to do on the ACT/SAT to be in good academic standing going into his Freshman year at MU?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »
+1
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:22:20 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »
I don't disagree...but when you say who landed a kid, it's the head coach that always gets the final credit because that's who he's playing for.  Afterall, last I checked it was the head coach that hires the assistant coaches.  ;)  You hire assistant coaches to bring in players and the captain of the ship gets the ultimate credit for that....always has and always will.

Fair enough.
But at this point, unlike Fulce and Otule, Erik Williams is a junior who could easily re-open his recruitment and go anywhere else without any paperwork or penalties. He chose instead to re-affirm his verbal to Marquette and head coach Buzz Williams.
If the fact that he only committed to MU because of assistant coach Buzz Williams isn't enough for you to call him a Buzz recruit, then the fact he re-affirmed his verbal to head coach Buzz Williams should be all the persuasion you need.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26:54 AM »
Besides GPA, what does he need to do on the ACT/SAT to be in good academic standing going into his Freshman year at MU?

Good luck making sense of this, but it appears that if he can get a 2.1 GPA, he'd need a 970 on his SAT.

http://www.jacksonville.k12.al.us/uploadedFiles/Image/NCAAeligibility.pdf

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »
Most Midwesterners take the ACT instead of the SAT. With a 2.1, he'd need an ACT composite of 82, which averages out to be a 20.5 on each section. Given that the minimum ACT is a 17 (68 composite), lets hope that he takes the test early and gives himself enough opportunities to repeat if need be (in addition to getting that core GPA up).

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
Fair enough.
But at this point, unlike Fulce and Otule, Erik Williams is a junior who could easily re-open his recruitment and go anywhere else without any paperwork or penalties. He chose instead to re-affirm his verbal to Marquette and head coach Buzz Williams.
If the fact that he only committed to MU because of assistant coach Buzz Williams isn't enough for you to call him a Buzz recruit, then the fact he re-affirmed his verbal to head coach Buzz Williams should be all the persuasion you need.

+1

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Thats not good.  If he has had academic trouble, I think he might have some problems getting a 970 which is slightly above average if memory serves me well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
Fair enough.

LOL.  I'm not saying he isn't a Buzz recruit...in fact I'll say out loud HE'S A BUZZ RECRUIT.  I took exception to Downtown's comments about MU not signing quality forwards the last few years...that was incorrect.  Glad Buzz is reeling them in, let's hope it continues.  So far so good.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »

Point is, the past coaching staff signed several forwards in the last few years that were highly rated....not sure where some people suggest that wasn't the case.  Williams, Mkwabe, Hayward, Saunders were all signed by the previous coaching staff....all were top 100 or 4 star players.  It's terrific Williams is staying and I love the Maymon get but to suggest that MU under Crean wasn't landing quality forwards recently is just not factually correct.

I find it funny how Chicos always comes to the defense of Crean even though it is nearly universally recognized that he proved to be pretty lousey at recruiting forwards.   I would like to mention that Hayward was projected to be a "2" out of prep school (he played the 2 in prep school) and was not projected to play the "4" like he has been at MU.  It was only the logjam at guards that forced him to play at the "4."  Chicos, here is a challange, name one "Crean"  forward recruit (besides Hayward who is really a guard playing out of position) amongst the list you mentioned, or not on the list you mentioned, that has had a positive impact on the program.  RJax is the only forward who comes to mind but is he really a Crean recruit?   The results have been mixed at best.  I hope Buzz can right the ship here.  

On the other hand, college ball is a guards game and having lots of highly ranked forwards will not do us any good if we don't have the guards who can get them the ball and can play defense.   I have always said, you need balance.  

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 01:07:01 PM »
YES!  Maymon_toMU09!  :D

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
Pretty amazing job by Buzz, he steps in and basically steals a top 100 recruit in 2 months.  He deserves a lot of credit for pulling this off.  

Was this kid recruited at all by TC before he left for IU?
We Are Marquette

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
From an interview with Jeronne's dad, any recruiting by Crean was tepid at best.  It only heated up after Buzz became the head coach.  Buzz essentially sealed the deal in less than two months without any substantial contact with Jeronne beforehand. 

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »
Thats not good.  If he has had academic trouble, I think he might have some problems getting a 970 which is slightly above average if memory serves me well.

1990Warrior - I am guessing from your name you took the SAT in the late 1980s, so you might not be aware the test changes a few years ago and a third section was added.  All three scores are reported on the 200-to-800 scale.  So before a perfect score was a 1600, now it is a 2400 I believe.

2007 College-Bound Seniors' Average Scores

* Critical reading: 502
    * Mathematics: 515
    * Writing: 494
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/scores/sending/sendingFAQ.html

nyg

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »
So he would need a 325 in Math, 325 in Reading and a 325 in Writing to get the 970?  My son, who took the new SAT two years ago (brag time here - got a 2150) told me you get a 200 in each section just for taking it. Sure it will all work out, but interesting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
I find it funny how Chicos always comes to the defense of Crean even though it is nearly universally recognized that he proved to be pretty lousey at recruiting forwards.   I would like to mention that Hayward was projected to be a "2" out of prep school (he played the 2 in prep school) and was not projected to play the "4" like he has been at MU.  It was only the logjam at guards that forced him to play at the "4."  Chicos, here is a challange, name one "Crean"  forward recruit (besides Hayward who is really a guard playing out of position) amongst the list you mentioned, or not on the list you mentioned, that has had a positive impact on the program.  RJax is the only forward who comes to mind but is he really a Crean recruit?   The results have been mixed at best.  I hope Buzz can right the ship here.  

On the other hand, college ball is a guards game and having lots of highly ranked forwards will not do us any good if we don't have the guards who can get them the ball and can play defense.   I have always said, you need balance.  

Downtown...before I asnwer your question...do you think a 3 is a forward.  When you answer that question, I can answer your question.  For the record, I consider the 3 a small FORWARD. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »

Not much....Crean's staff was worried about the kids grades as was Bo Ryan's staff.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »
Not much....Crean's staff was worried about the kids grades as was Bo Ryan's staff.

It wasn't just grades.  Maymon wasn't really considered to be a high major prospect until the end of the prep season, but his game exploded over the last few months.  Prior to that his only high major interest was from Baylor and Clemson.  The rest of the schools were places like UWM, UWGB, Temple etc. 

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
nyg

The referred to 970 total is in the two original areas;critical reading and math. Most schools are still trying to figure out what to do with the third score other than for placement purposes.

feedback