[Today at 12:29:26 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by rocky_warrior
[Today at 12:26:02 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBE Classic banner  (Read 6758 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

CBE Classic banner
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:40:28 AM »
Did we really hang a banner that contains the names of the teams we beat during this tournament? If so, I find that completely unbecoming a Big East team with three Final Fours in its history. Are we so impressed with our victory over Duke that we need to hang their hide from our rafters?

SoCalstu09

• Starter
Re: CBE Classic banner
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:02:49 PM »
It has all the teams, then the final team "#8 Duke." It was kind of weird. They also did not leave space on the banner for any more. The Great Alaska shootout has room for at least two more years if we win.

I guess we're not going back to the CBE?
"I think the world is run by C students."- Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 12:33:32 PM »
The CBE banner was simply designed the same way as the GAS championship banners which hang at the AL.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:37:30 PM »
It just sounds small-time to me. Do you think NDSU will hang a B&G Classic banner from their rafters trumpeting their victory over #8 Marquette? I doubt it.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:54:24 PM »
Agreed.  Banners are for national championships, final fours and retired numbers (if MU actually retired numbers  ;D).  Please dispense with the CBE, GAS, National Catholic whatever champions, etc.  It looks very "mid-major".

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 01:09:18 PM »
If you've ever paid attention to TC, he always talks about winning championships of all kinds and promotes that with his players.  Just the way it is.  I agree its kind of schmaltzy; but, again, its just the way it is with TC and his program.  Kind of falls into the are of coachspeak and the like.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:15:36 PM »
you want coachspeak, hang a 2006 B&G championship banner on it with NDSU in  big bold letters (throw the score on it for extra effect).  see how well that works as coachspeak to the players everytime they walk onto the court.  heck put it in the middle of the lineup, one on each side, and shine a huge spotlight on em... maybe even have the announcer reference it during the introductions..  I WANNA SEE THESE PLAYERS PLAY MAD AND LIKE THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO PROVE.
yep yep.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
Ummm, excuse me, but whats your problem.  Lets be civil here. >:(

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »
Ummm, excuse me, but whats your problem.  Lets be civil here. >:(

huh?  ???
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 04:02:57 PM »
I have yet to see this banner. But i do think that there should be banners for the NCIT championship and the NIT championship. don't tell me those were not worthwhile
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »
It just sounds small-time to me. Do you think NDSU will hang a B&G Classic banner from their rafters trumpeting their victory over #8 Marquette? I doubt it.

Regular season wins, no....kind of a silly comparison.   Tournament championships....many schools do it.  Go inside the Dean Dome on North Carolina's campus, there are more banners in there then I have ever seen in my life.  38 jerseys, every ACC championship banner including tournament banners, NCAA banners, etc.

Other schools do similar things, especially in their practice facilities.

Now, many schools don't do it.

Personally, for as much tradition and history at Marquette, having only three Final Four banners in the building seemed very underwhelming to me. I'm glad we are honoring other champions because that's what they are.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:34:35 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 04:51:04 PM »
not really a silly comparison.  NDSU just won the Blue and Gold Classic tournament, which is probably their first tournament championship in teh history of their program.  How is that any different than us winning the CBE classic?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 05:35:53 PM »
not really a silly comparison.  NDSU just won the Blue and Gold Classic tournament, which is probably their first tournament championship in teh history of their program.  How is that any different than us winning the CBE classic?

My fault, I read it as they would hang a banner for simply beating a top 10 team...I was reading too fast.  If they want to hang a banner for winning the B&G Classic, by all means.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 06:00:31 PM »
I'd like to see them split the difference.  Hang all of the banners in the Al, to remind players and recruits of MU's accomplishments.

Leave the NCAA Championship Banners in the Bradley to remind Bucks, Admirals, Bruce Springsteen fans and every other visitor that this is the main stage for the Warriors.  I don't like all of the banners in the Bradley because it's not exactly our true home.  We share the place with a bunch of roommates, so it doesn't have the same effect as UNC.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »
Hanging a banner for the BCE Championship is lame. Going out of our way to include "#8 Duke" on the banner, makes us look like nobodies. And don't kind yourself, this is clearly all about pounding our chest about beating the "great" Duke, who basically starts nothing but freshmen and sophomores. It was a nice win, but come on...does it deserve to be recognized in perpetuity? To hang next to a National Championship banner? Why aren't the teams we defeated in Alaska listed individually? Because South Carolina doesn't have the cachet of Duke. How else can you explain that?

Having two FF banners, a National Championship banner, an NIT Championship banner and at least two banners with retired numbers is enough. I don't give a rat's ass what North Carolina does, but I have a hard time believing they hang banners for minor early season titles. I agree with the other poster. If you want to hang those things to "reward" players, hang them in the McGuire Center. Don't make the thousands of fans who go through the Bradley Center every year look up and see how desperate we are to pat ourselves on the back for relatively minor victories.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 08:15:23 PM »
I'd just like to point out that the original GAS championship banner from 2001 also had the 3 school we beat and scores of the game (including the #21 ranking of Indiana).  By no means do I agree with hanging banners for these titles but when we won another GAS title they took down the old one and put one up with both years.   
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 08:17:30 PM »
Hanging a banner for the BCE Championship is lame. Going out of our way to include "#8 Duke" on the banner, makes us look like nobodies. And don't kind yourself, this is clearly all about pounding our chest about beating the "great" Duke, who basically starts nothing but freshmen and sophomores. It was a nice win, but come on...does it deserve to be recognized in perpetuity? To hang next to a National Championship banner? Why aren't the teams we defeated in Alaska listed individually? Because South Carolina doesn't have the cachet of Duke. How else can you explain that?

Having two FF banners, a National Championship banner, an NIT Championship banner and at least two banners with retired numbers is enough. I don't give a rat's ass what North Carolina does, but I have a hard time believing they hang banners for minor early season titles. I agree with the other poster. If you want to hang those things to "reward" players, hang them in the McGuire Center. Don't make the thousands of fans who go through the Bradley Center every year look up and see how desperate we are to pat ourselves on the back for relatively minor victories.

What can I say, every coach is different and every program different.  That's the direction he wants to go in, to recognize championship accomplishments whethere it's the Maui Invitational, the Great Alaska Shootout our the CBE.  To each his own.  You can bet if we win the Maui next year, a banner is going up.  I can't say I would disagree with that approach but obviously some people do.

SoCalstu09

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 12:52:39 AM »
If we can win three thanksgiving tourneys in a row...i wanna see that banner hang! That would be a great accomplishment. 
"I think the world is run by C students."- Al McGuire

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 07:05:39 AM »
I don't mind the hanging on banners due to TC's message of winning championships and hanging banners.  I think everyone else would agree too if you could have seen the team watching the banner unfold from the rafters before the Northwestern State game.  Every single player was focused proudly on that banner.  Too bad the BC crowd that night couldn't give a louder ovation.

In my eyes the main problem with the hanging of banners is the inconsistency between them all.  Someone in the AD needs to decide on a theme here.  Even if it requires taking some of the older banners down for a revamped design lets do it.  The old banners would make a lot of money at auction.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 08:05:55 AM »
I have no problem commending smaller tournament wins, but a single banner for the CBE takes away from the prestige of the national championship banner.  I would put all small tournament wins (Great Alaska, CBE, etc.) on one banner, with room to add on.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 08:10:46 AM »
It is a joke that the CBE is the same size as the 1974 Banner...hell its a joke that the 1974 banner doesn't say Runner Up or Warriors on it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart