'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Tom Crean Book Signing  (Read 4883 times)

HoopDreams

• Starter
Tom Crean Book Signing
« on: November 30, 2006, 06:36:41 PM »
Is there a better Public Relations coach in basketball?? The guy loves fans..and he makes himself very visible for Marquette and in the city of Milwaukee. It is nice to see a coach that trully embraces the university..
Tradition Never Graduates..

SoCalstu09

• Starter
Re: Tom Crean Book Signing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 06:53:53 PM »
Just came back from the book signing too. He truly tries to make a connection with each fan. He knows what the fans want and he gives it to them. I'd be interested in knowing if high profile coaches do the same.

Anyway, it was a pretty good showing for just a one hour time slot. I would say over 100 people sifted through the shop in an hour getting stuff signed. I got a NCAA Final Four banner signed and his book. Good times.

And Hoopsdreams...im convinced that there is no better PR coach in the nation. With what he has done at the Bradley center with the atmosphere, the AL, and community involvement (Al's run and events like this), i'm a Crean believer. 
"I think the world is run by C students."- Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:10:11 PM »
Just came back from the book signing too. He truly tries to make a connection with each fan. He knows what the fans want and he gives it to them. I'd be interested in knowing if high profile coaches do the same.

Anyway, it was a pretty good showing for just a one hour time slot. I would say over 100 people sifted through the shop in an hour getting stuff signed. I got a NCAA Final Four banner signed and his book. Good times.

And Hoopsdreams...im convinced that there is no better PR coach in the nation. With what he has done at the Bradley center with the atmosphere, the AL, and community involvement (Al's run and events like this), i'm a Crean believer. 

He is very good at it.  Some people (mostly Badger fans and anti-Crean types) think it's "salesy", but to me he is just doing his job and doing it well.  From the very first day I met the guy on April 1st 1999, the guy was always looking at things from a big picture perspective and I have to give him a big nod for doing so.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
I know quite a few Badger fans who wish Bo were more like TC.  They would not admit it publicly, but they have said it to me privately.  TC brings the students and the alums energy.

The same Badger fans that you speak of Chico's, were critical of TC pushing the fans to all wear Gold (until the students at UW games wore ugly tie-dye red shirts), naming the student section (until UW did the same) and the introductions (which UW also has copied to some extent).  I guess those were all Bo's idea's!   ;D

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
The Grateful Red at UW suck...and I think TC does a good job at including the alumni and is appreciative of their support. There is nothing better than those Marquette basketball gold vests they sold to alumni..
Tradition Never Graduates..

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »
It's too bad you can't buy them anywhere.  Does anyone know where to go and get one??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 06:56:24 AM »
But I like to throw handfuls...

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:21:01 AM »
SoCal -- are we now crediting Crean with popularizing Al's Run? Good grief!

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 11:36:19 AM »
He is a PR guru.  If you have ever been to his radio show on Mondays, you get to see the real crean.  I have to tell you, seeing him at those has brought a whole new respect for him.  most of the times he is willing to sit around and have a beer and talk basketball on a personal level after the show.  he talks to you just as another person, not down to you like a high profile coach to a fan.

i also remember back when i was a student, before the Louisville game that reece gaines made me block out of my head, he showed up multiple times to get the students fired up who were waiting outside.  No news teams or reporters in sight, he did this for the fans and for the team.  he even came back and brought boxes of doughnuts and stood on the bumper or trunk of his car and started thanking all the fans and pumped everyone up big time despite the 10 degree weather. 

the kids that put up a tent for the night to be first in the door for that game also said that crean came down around 11pm the night before and brought them quizno's since it was the only place open that crean could find at that time.  he just showed up, tapped on the tent, then he sat in there and talked hoops with the kids for a little bit.  this guys is a true believer in fan support and he isn't too showy, i think all his actions are sincere despite how people view them.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 12:31:50 PM »
A basketball coach with a CEO mentality.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »
makes me want to go set up a tent now  ;D
hmm.. that could solve our hotel issue rocky.. just tent it out on the bradley center sidewalk.. anyone know if there is free wifi there?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 03:27:30 PM »
Thanks Chili but I was actuallly talking about the Gold sweater vests mentioned in the post above mine.  Does anyone know where to get one of those??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.