[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Breaking down Bucky  (Read 3460 times)

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
Breaking down Bucky
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
Lets take a look at the badgers roster:

1) Happ- great player sadly surrounded by a terrible cast

2) Davison- he flops more than a smallmouth bass loose in a boat.  Great player but I don't think his ceiling is as high as some might think.  He isn't overly athletic.  Will be good all 4 years

3) Pritzl- a 3 point sniper who can't shoot.  Not a high level DI player.  Adds nothing

4) Reuvers- too skinny and can't shoot worth a lick.  Appears to be overrated as a recruit the few times I've seen him.  Atrocious FG% for a big

5) Iverson- decent player for... the Horizon league.   Very athletic but can't do anything great other than the occasional highlight dunk

6) Moesch- never heard of him.  his stat line today: 0 pts, 0 reb, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 1 technical

7) Thomas- there's a reason he doesn't play

8) Van Vliet- wouldn't shock me if he transfers at the semester

9) AI- another likely transfer who adds nothing

10) Trice- average to below average big ten PG

11) Kobe King- significant talent who put up big numbers in preseason scrimmages but is not being utilized correctly. 

Summary:  throw in a decommit for 2018 and a miss in the tourney this year and this team is heading no where but south.   I wouldn't want to join this mess if I were a recruit.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
Re: Breaking down Bucky
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
Take it to the Superbar this one is for Marquette basketball.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:18:38 PM »
Great win. The transformation from a Big East roster/style to an ACC roster/style is nearly complete.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »
Hard is simply not a recruiter not a good enough coach to make 1 or 2 star players better.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »
Every coach has to rebuild - some get short a reprieve like Buzz and some get the 'dumpster fire' on day one like Wojo. 

I don't know if Gard is going to make it but like every coach the next 24 months are critical.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 06:11:15 AM »
With every Coach you learn something about them in the first six months.  When Wojo still had a head coaching record of 0-0 he landed Henry Ellenson (the commitment).  He also brought in a Carlino.  And despite a 13-19 record he landed Rowsey (transfer), Heldt, Amin, Hannif and Traci Carter.

Yes, a couple of guys left but he showed that he could recruit with no experiences and one bad season.

Buzz showed he could take Crean’s team and still get them to a top 10 ranking (2008) and potentially more if DJ does not break his foot.  He also brought in some guy named Jimmy Butler (along with Fulce) within days after being named head coach.

Point is it takes time but right away you can see they have something in their recruits or how they get their team to outperform.

Holtzman at Butler is another name that comes to mind.

So in year 3, what has Gard done?  Has he recruited?  He whiffed on Stone, J Hauser and had Herro decommit.  Has he outperformed with his talent?  I say no. A new coach with S16 in both his first two years should have Stone, Hauser, Hauser and Herro in the fold.  That should be his base to get even more talent.  Bottom line is Gard flat out cannot recruit.

My guess is Bucky will not fire him this year, which means this year and next are lost. Couple that with a crappy recruiting class for 2018 and 2019, andsome transfers when the existing players see where this is going, and Bucky has a long run of being “Nebraska” basketball.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:14:49 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 06:27:17 AM »
Great win. The transformation from a Big East roster/style to an ACC roster/style is nearly complete.
The type of team isn't important.
I thoroughly enjoyed the team of DJ, McSteal, Wesley and Lazar (only if they had a center).
Who didn't enjoy Jae, Jimmy, the Ox, Junior, DJO.
Kudos to this team also.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 07:01:52 AM »
With every Coach you learn something about them in the first six months.  When Wojo still had a head coaching record of 0-0 he landed Henry Ellenson (the commitment).  He also brought in a Carlino.  And despite a 13-19 record he landed Rowsey (transfer), Heldt, Amin, Hannif and Traci Carter.

Yes, a couple of guys left but he showed that he could recruit with no experiences and one bad season.

Buzz showed he could take Crean’s team and still get them to a top 10 ranking (2008) and potentially more if DJ does not break his foot.  He also brought in some guy named Jimmy Butler (along with Fulce) within days after being named head coach.

Point is it takes time but right away you can see they have something in their recruits or how they get their team to outperform.

Holtzman at Butler is another name that comes to mind.

So in year 3, what has Gard done?  Has he recruited?  He whiffed on Stone, J Hauser and had Herro decommit.  Has he outperformed with his talent?  I say no. A new coach with S16 in both his first two years should have Stone, Hauser, Hauser and Herro in the fold.  That should be his base to get even more talent.  Bottom line is Gard flat out cannot recruit.

My guess is Bucky will not fire him this year, which means this year and next are lost. Couple that with a crappy recruiting class for 2018 and 2019, andsome transfers when the existing players see where this is going, and Bucky has a long run of being “Nebraska” basketball.

I think that's right.  I think they're in a heap of trouble.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
I think that's right.  I think they're in a heap of trouble.

In 11 months, Marquette is going to have four additional players who are going to provide a lot of balance to the roster...not to mention a lot of talent.  Losing Rowsey will hurt.

Madison will have...who exactly?  I don't want to crow too much, and I can see some hope for them in their younger players, but their next 18 months look a little bleak.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 07:14:10 AM »

In 11 months, Marquette is going to have four additional players who are going to provide a lot of balance to the roster...not to mention a lot of talent.  Losing Rowsey will hurt.

Madison will have...who exactly?  I don't want to crow too much, and I can see some hope for them in their younger players, but their next 18 months look a little bleak.

Yep.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
Quote from: 1.21 Jigawatts link=topic=55047

Come on, now. We all know that Stone would’ve gone to UW if he could’ve met the superior academic requirements. And they couldn’t offer Sam because they really needed a point guard. Bo told Sam to wait until spring, but he didn’t want to wait. No Sam, no Joey. And now we’re hearing that Tyler refused to retake his ATC to improve in his score of 17, so he was gone, too. 
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the team of DJ, McSteal, Wesley and Lazar (only if they had a center).
Kudos to this team also.
I loved those teams! I’m simply pointing out that this team plays ACC style basketball. I really like this squad!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
Couldn't the thread be retitled "Bucky breaking down"?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
Kudos to this team also.

When I look at Elliott and Sacar, I see a little some comparisons to McSteal and Wesley.  The main difference right now is that both Elliott and Sacar need to work on their ball handling and range.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
Couldn't the thread be retitled "Bucky breaking down"?

I think the OP knew exactly what he was doing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »

Theoretically, they return everyone for next year's season. Another year of development for guys like Davison, King, Trice, Ford, and Reuvers could be enough to get them back in the tournament. But their 2018 recruiting class is bad.

2019 recruiting is going to be what saves or kills Greg Gard and the rodent. The Badgers currently have 6 openings in their 2019 class and to date Gard has employed a very targeted approach to recruiting. He seems to only go after one guy per opening which bit in him the rear with Joey and Herro. Their top targets are DJ Carton out of Iowa, Nobal Days out of Racine, and Matthew Hurt from Minnesota. Hurt ain't going there, he's a top 5 kid with a brother at Minnesota. Its blue blood or Golden Gophers for him. And guess who is also recruiting Carton and Days? If they were watching the beatdown yesterday...and we win again next season....which team might they prefer to play for?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.