[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Calling My Shot  (Read 7037 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Calling My Shot
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »
Today's win marks a new era of the Marquette/Wisconsin rivalry. I know people have gotten sick of my "year 5 is the year" schtick since Wojo took over, but I truly believe it. Barring disaster, I see Marquette as a program on the rise for the next couple of years. 2019 recruiting will be critical to continue it but I think Wojo gets it done with the big fish we have on the hook already. Meanwhile, the Rodent is struggling.  They might have a short resurgence next season with zero seniors on the roster this year, but their 2018 recruiting has been a bust. 2019 will be critical for them if they don't want to take a major tumble. Would love to see Wojo land Carton and Days over Gard.

Marquette will dominante this rivalry for the next few years. If Wojo sticks around long enough, he might even see Marquette take the series lead.
In the last 10 years the series has been pretty even both teams winning 5 games. I agree we are in the uptrend and the Badgers are on the down trend. However, I do not believe that Barry Alverez will commit to Coach Guard for the long term. It's Just not in Alverez DNA to suffer through losing . So yes we may gain a slight upper hand for a while based on roster and pipeline, but I expect a new young coach to bring their program back into prominence again soon. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 07:16:05 AM »
In the last 10 years the series has been pretty even both teams winning 5 games. I agree we are in the uptrend and the Badgers are on the down trend. However, I do not believe that Barry Alverez will commit to Coach Guard for the long term. It's Just not in Alverez DNA to suffer through losing . So yes we may gain a slight upper hand for a while based on roster and pipeline, but I expect a new young coach to bring their program back into prominence again soon.
I'd happily take another year-and-a-half of sucking under Gard followed by sucking through a 3-4 year rebuild.  Bucky sucking for 6 years?  Sign me up.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
One of the things that UW needs to worry about, and maybe this is why Gard gets a longer leash, is who would they turn to?

Obviously Tony Bennett is the obvious answer.  (And he would be a great hire for them no doubt.)  But what if he turns them down?  The Bo coaching tree is either poor or untested.  And word is that Barry learned from the Anderson football debacle that coaches with Wisconsin ties are the best way to build a program in the long-run. (I think he is right about that.)  But if they can't find that guy, where do they go?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
One of the things that UW needs to worry about, and maybe this is why Gard gets a longer leash, is who would they turn to?

Obviously Tony Bennett is the obvious answer.  (And he would be a great hire for them no doubt.)  But what if he turns them down?  The Bo coaching tree is either poor or untested.  And word is that Barry learned from the Anderson football debacle that coaches with Wisconsin ties are the best way to build a program in the long-run. (I think he is right about that.)  But if they can't find that guy, where do they go?

Bo’s best teams had players from Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, SD to complement the Wisconsin crop. However, Gard is missing on the Wisconsin crop and their crazy fan base is in full force victim blaming those recruits who high tailed it elsewhere.

If Gard cannot recruit Wisconsin, put a fork in him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
Why would any one want to follow K?

Ding, ding, ding! Following a coaching icon/legend almost never works out - only exception I can think of is Bill Self.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »
Why would any one want to follow K?

Exactly.  People say "well, it's Duke."  But Duke at this point is entirely a Coach K creation.  Remember how hard it was for UCLA to replace Wooden, where even successful coaches (Larry Brown) were run out of town?  This is going to be harder.  Much harder. 

A successful coach, without ties to Duke, isn't going to leave a comfortable situation to jump into that.  I don't think that includes Brey.  I think it's Capel, Wojo and Collins with Capel the big favorite.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:01:35 AM by Sultan of Kookiness »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »
Ding, ding, ding! Following a coaching icon/legend almost never works out - only exception I can think of is Bill Self.

I think you could add Pitino following Crum at Louisville and Joe B. Hall following Rupp at Kentucky to the list, but you're correct, maintaining coaching legend's success is difficult at best,

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »

The recruiting for football and basketball is much different. Football relies on high school coaches where relationships are built over many years . Basketball has AAU set up which makes for easier evaluations .  UW will easily find the right guy if and when they sour on Gard.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
I always assumed Ben Jacobson of UNI would be a good choice for them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
The recruiting for football and basketball is much different. Football relies on high school coaches where relationships are built over many years . Basketball has AAU set up which makes for easier evaluations .  UW will easily find the right guy if and when they sour on Gard.

That's a good point about recruiting.  But "easily" finding the right guy might be wishful thinking.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »

And even that ... as well as Williams did at Kansas, he never won the big one there. And Self was a proven commodity.

Replacing Roy at UNC will be tougher.

As for F%cky ... why would Bennett want to leave UVa? I'm not saying he wouldn't, just interested in the reasons besides maybe some draw to "home." I would think he has made a pretty good home for himself at UVa.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 12:02:24 AM »
Today's win marks a new era of the Marquette/Wisconsin rivalry. I know people have gotten sick of my "year 5 is the year" schtick since Wojo took over, but I truly believe it. Barring disaster, I see Marquette as a program on the rise for the next couple of years. 2019 recruiting will be critical to continue it but I think Wojo gets it done with the big fish we have on the hook already. Meanwhile, the Rodent is struggling.  They might have a short resurgence next season with zero seniors on the roster this year, but their 2018 recruiting has been a bust. 2019 will be critical for them if they don't want to take a major tumble. Would love to see Wojo land Carton and Days over Gard.

Marquette will dominante this rivalry for the next few years. If Wojo sticks around long enough, he might even see Marquette take the series lead.

Bump.

Well we didn't land any of the big fish in 2019....and Days ended up at Tulane with no serious high major offers...but we beat Bucky.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback