[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Calling My Shot  (Read 6962 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Calling My Shot
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
Today's win marks a new era of the Marquette/Wisconsin rivalry. I know people have gotten sick of my "year 5 is the year" schtick since Wojo took over, but I truly believe it. Barring disaster, I see Marquette as a program on the rise for the next couple of years. 2019 recruiting will be critical to continue it but I think Wojo gets it done with the big fish we have on the hook already. Meanwhile, the Rodent is struggling.  They might have a short resurgence next season with zero seniors on the roster this year, but their 2018 recruiting has been a bust. 2019 will be critical for them if they don't want to take a major tumble. Would love to see Wojo land Carton and Days over Gard.

Marquette will dominante this rivalry for the next few years. If Wojo sticks around long enough, he might even see Marquette take the series lead.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Calling My Shot
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
Today's win marks a new era of the Marquette/Wisconsin rivalry. I know people have gotten sick of my "year 5 is the year" schtick since Wojo took over, but I truly believe it. Barring disaster, I see Marquette as a program on the rise for the next couple of years. 2019 recruiting will be critical to continue it but I think Wojo gets it done with the big fish we have on the hook already. Meanwhile, the Rodent is struggling.  They might have a short resurgence next season with zero seniors on the roster this year, but their 2018 recruiting has been a bust. 2019 will be critical for them if they don't want to take a major tumble. Would love to see Wojo land Carton and Days over Gard.

Marquette will dominante this rivalry for the next few years. If Wojo sticks around long enough, he might even see Marquette take the series lead.

Marquette will pay, has premier facilities, in arguably the best basketball conference and will play in arguably the best basketball arena next year.

Can Wojo leave?  Sure, but given all of the above, the list of suitors is getting small.

Light a candle for coach K’s continued health.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Marquette will pay, has premier facilities, in arguably the best basketball conference and will play in arguably the best basketball arena next year.

Can Wojo leave?  Sure, but given all of the above, the list of suitors is getting small.

With the success Brey is having at ND why wouldn't Duke take a hard look at him?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:11 PM »
With the success Brey is having at ND why wouldn't Duke take a hard look at him?

Is this supposed to be teal? No way Duke goes for a 58-year-old who has never been a force on the recruiting front.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »
I love your optimism but we’ve been at points with TC & Buzz where we could have said the same.  Will this be different?  If it is I think it all goes back to Sam Hauser.  If Bo recruits him, IW has a great piece next to Happ this year and Joey & Tyler coming in next.  That is a colossal mistake.  Will they recover?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »
Great, fun win today. No doubt. But let's pump the brakes a bit here folks. Wisconsin is 4-7 and nobody, even after this win, is projecting MU to even make the NCAA Tourney.(fans on this site excluded)
I welcome the day when Wojo is a hot name for a "top job" and even more so for the Duke job (means he's doing a great job, right?) but we are a long ways off from that day.
I'm no Dookie, but I'd guess that Wojo is not on their top 10 list for Coach K's successor, (yet).

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
I love your optimism but we’ve been at points with TC & Buzz where we could have said the same.

While some may have said that, in reality it was just blue and gold talk with Bo around. Bo's a Hall-of-Famer for a reason. Without him, you have to admit UW is currently at a crossroads.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on Sam though. That was a mega miss for UW. Not only for the player that Sam is, but in regards to the dominos that sent into motion.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »
Great, fun win today. No doubt. But let's pump the brakes a bit here folks. Wisconsin is 4-7 and nobody, even after this win, is projecting MU to even make the NCAA Tourney.(fans on this site excluded)
I welcome the day when Wojo is a hot name for a "top job" and even more so for the Duke job (means he's doing a great job, right?) but we are a long ways off from that day.
I'm no Dookie, but I'd guess that Wojo is not on their top 10 list for Coach K's successor, (yet).

This thread is about us vs Wisconsin

Not making the tourney.

So the 4-7 record is actually kinda the point
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »

Brey and Collins would be considered before Wojo.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »

Collins for sure.
Capel, also. He deserves a lot of credit for Duke's current run of recruiting success.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »
I love your optimism but we’ve been at points with TC & Buzz where we could have said the same.  Will this be different?  If it is I think it all goes back to Sam Hauser.  If Bo recruits him, IW has a great piece next to Happ this year and Joey & Tyler coming in next.  That is a colossal mistake.  Will they recover?

There were times during TC & Buzz that I though Marquette was on the upswing. There was never a time where I thought Bucky was on as bad of a downswing as I think they are now. That is the difference IMHO between those times and these times.
TAMU

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »

Jeff Capel ahead of these two I think.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 06:10:07 PM »
Mike White
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »

Duke is not hiring Brey. If they go for someone older and established, it'll be a bigger name than that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »
Brey’s not really a Duke guy.  He was a HS coach that K hired to help with Baltimore recruiting.  Nowhere near the legacy of Wojo & Co. 

Mark Titus is convinced it’s Capel bc Ge leads how they recruit NOW.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
Might as well have been watching JV girls HS ball vs varsity boys. That was the disparity today. We were faster, stronger, more active, more talented and better coached.

Loved it!!!!!!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
I know this isn’t supposed to be a coach K replacement thread.... but insomuchas it impacts Wojo’s standing:

Look to the pros:
Duke guy: Quin Snyder
Pedigree: Billy Donovan
Squeaky clean: Rick Pitino looking for a job  ;D :o ::)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 07:01:14 PM »
TAMU

Respect you calling your shot and hope you are right. I think it might be a bit premature. Fun win today, but a lot of work ahead. I like the freshman and think they all might be good players. Again, a ton of work ahead before I would be calling a shot.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
Brey’s not really a Duke guy.  He was a HS coach that K hired to help with Baltimore recruiting.  Nowhere near the legacy of Wojo & Co. 

Mark Titus is convinced it’s Capel bc Ge leads how they recruit NOW.

Why would any one want to follow K?

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
The Age of the Popcorn Skunk is over. The Age of the Eagle is about to begin.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
Why Quin Snyder?  Had recruiting violations and a run in with the AD at Mizzou. Not the Dukie way.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
What about Bobby Hurley? Didn't coach under K  but he's definitely a Duke guy.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »

Trash is spot on here!  If WOJO were ever to get the Duke job that would be the best thing to happen to our program in a very long time.  Can't begrudge the guy for going back to his alma-mater if it's offered to him and if it is, we'll be in a great position to hire an outstanding experienced head coach instead of an up an comer as we have in the past.  As of now, WOJO doesn't appear to be a strong candidate for any job, let alone Duke.  Porky is definitely rooting for Wojo to get the Duke job in the next 7 years or so as long as he doesn't go somewhere else first.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »
There were times during TC & Buzz that I though Marquette was on the upswing. There was never a time where I thought Bucky was on as bad of a downswing as I think they are now. That is the difference IMHO between those times and these times.

Agreed.  Gard did OK with Bo's recruits, but the pipeline is drying up.  UW@Madison probably won't suck as bad as they did from the Big Bang until about 1980, but they are definitely on a downward trend.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »

In the last 10 years the series has been pretty even both teams winning 5 games. I agree we are in the uptrend and the Badgers are on the down trend. However, I do not believe that Barry Alverez will commit to Coach Guard for the long term. It's Just not in Alverez DNA to suffer through losing . So yes we may gain a slight upper hand for a while based on roster and pipeline, but I expect a new young coach to bring their program back into prominence again soon. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 07:16:05 AM »
In the last 10 years the series has been pretty even both teams winning 5 games. I agree we are in the uptrend and the Badgers are on the down trend. However, I do not believe that Barry Alverez will commit to Coach Guard for the long term. It's Just not in Alverez DNA to suffer through losing . So yes we may gain a slight upper hand for a while based on roster and pipeline, but I expect a new young coach to bring their program back into prominence again soon.
I'd happily take another year-and-a-half of sucking under Gard followed by sucking through a 3-4 year rebuild.  Bucky sucking for 6 years?  Sign me up.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
One of the things that UW needs to worry about, and maybe this is why Gard gets a longer leash, is who would they turn to?

Obviously Tony Bennett is the obvious answer.  (And he would be a great hire for them no doubt.)  But what if he turns them down?  The Bo coaching tree is either poor or untested.  And word is that Barry learned from the Anderson football debacle that coaches with Wisconsin ties are the best way to build a program in the long-run. (I think he is right about that.)  But if they can't find that guy, where do they go?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
One of the things that UW needs to worry about, and maybe this is why Gard gets a longer leash, is who would they turn to?

Obviously Tony Bennett is the obvious answer.  (And he would be a great hire for them no doubt.)  But what if he turns them down?  The Bo coaching tree is either poor or untested.  And word is that Barry learned from the Anderson football debacle that coaches with Wisconsin ties are the best way to build a program in the long-run. (I think he is right about that.)  But if they can't find that guy, where do they go?

Bo’s best teams had players from Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, SD to complement the Wisconsin crop. However, Gard is missing on the Wisconsin crop and their crazy fan base is in full force victim blaming those recruits who high tailed it elsewhere.

If Gard cannot recruit Wisconsin, put a fork in him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »

Ding, ding, ding! Following a coaching icon/legend almost never works out - only exception I can think of is Bill Self.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »

Exactly.  People say "well, it's Duke."  But Duke at this point is entirely a Coach K creation.  Remember how hard it was for UCLA to replace Wooden, where even successful coaches (Larry Brown) were run out of town?  This is going to be harder.  Much harder. 

A successful coach, without ties to Duke, isn't going to leave a comfortable situation to jump into that.  I don't think that includes Brey.  I think it's Capel, Wojo and Collins with Capel the big favorite.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:01:35 AM by Sultan of Kookiness »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »
Ding, ding, ding! Following a coaching icon/legend almost never works out - only exception I can think of is Bill Self.

I think you could add Pitino following Crum at Louisville and Joe B. Hall following Rupp at Kentucky to the list, but you're correct, maintaining coaching legend's success is difficult at best,

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »

The recruiting for football and basketball is much different. Football relies on high school coaches where relationships are built over many years . Basketball has AAU set up which makes for easier evaluations .  UW will easily find the right guy if and when they sour on Gard.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
I always assumed Ben Jacobson of UNI would be a good choice for them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
The recruiting for football and basketball is much different. Football relies on high school coaches where relationships are built over many years . Basketball has AAU set up which makes for easier evaluations .  UW will easily find the right guy if and when they sour on Gard.

That's a good point about recruiting.  But "easily" finding the right guy might be wishful thinking.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »

And even that ... as well as Williams did at Kansas, he never won the big one there. And Self was a proven commodity.

Replacing Roy at UNC will be tougher.

As for F%cky ... why would Bennett want to leave UVa? I'm not saying he wouldn't, just interested in the reasons besides maybe some draw to "home." I would think he has made a pretty good home for himself at UVa.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 12:02:24 AM »

Bump.

Well we didn't land any of the big fish in 2019....and Days ended up at Tulane with no serious high major offers...but we beat Bucky.
TAMU