'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Harry Froling Era Now Begins  (Read 20487 times)

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
Re: The Harry Froling Era Now Begins
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »
Agree. I think he will come off the bench but his minutes could expand as the BE season rolls on. Very excited to see how he will fit in with the team.

It will be interesting to see how he uses him,  Matt and Theo just set picks and roll to the basket.  Watching the O carefully yesterday, the bigs set picks free throw
line extended, then roll.  Not sure where Froling gets shots from except back to the basket.  It will be interesting to see how Wojo uses him.  If he uses him like the
other 2,  he will not be impressive.  Opens up the middle like Kentucky then he has a chance to get some looks.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
I don't think it's too big of a stretch to say that he could potentially take us from the #13 offense to top 5 range (territory currently occupied by Villanova, Duke, Wichita St., Xavier, and St. Mary's), which makes 10 conference wins look more achievable (especially if we can get our defense from 150's closer to 100). I think his biggest impact might come from us getting more consistent good looks, which would prevent strings of empty possessions/droughts. With a defense this bad, offensive droughts turn into unanswered scoring runs by the opposition rather quickly.

If you can't stop 'em, just never stop scoring.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
It will be interesting to see how he uses him,  Matt and Theo just set picks and roll to the basket.  Watching the O carefully yesterday, the bigs set picks free throw
line extended, then roll.  Not sure where Froling gets shots from except back to the basket.  It will be interesting to see how Wojo uses him.  If he uses him like the
other 2,  he will not be impressive.  Opens up the middle like Kentucky then he has a chance to get some looks.

Part of that is a result of Matt and Theo not having the ability to make shots. If Harry is cable of hitting some shots he will have an expanded roll.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
If he's a net contributor we should be able to sneak into the tourney.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »
Part of that is a result of Matt and Theo not having the ability to make shots. If Harry is cable of hitting some shots he will have an expanded roll.

I had an expanded roll after I ate too much on Thanksgiving.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »
Having a 6'11 guy who can shoot from 3 stretches the defense.    It pulls a big away from the basket, much like Luke would get pulled away from the basket.   Also, I remember Diener and Novak running pick-and-pops all of the time.   I can see Rowsey going off of a Froling screen, being followed by a big, and throwing it back to Froling who shoots over a guard.    I also think that there will be two-big sets, with Harry taking Joey's spot as the spot up stretch 4.    Defensively, if he just moves his feet and keeps his hands up, especially in a two-big set, it will clog passing lanes.    When opponents run the high pick and roll on Matt, now it may be Froling as the weak side wing dropping down to contest at the rim.    This is contingent on HF's ability to adequately defend in space. 

Or, he could stink and the team does not improve.   IMO, how much HF positively impacts the team depends on whether he can defend opposing 4's in space.   In Big East play, it would be nice to be able to have two bigs on the floor, play Sam at the 3.   When Sam rests, play Sacar or Jamal at the 3.    Can't wait to find out.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
In my opinion Sam is a much, much bigger mismatch for other teams to deal with at the 4 than the other team’s 4 is a mismatch for Sam. We’ve been asking Sam to guard the opponent’s best forward every game and he’s done an outstanding job of it and, with the exception of WSU, has stayed out of foul trouble. He handled an All American in Maten about as well as anyone will this year. Sam, Froling, and Heldt on the court together makes for a pretty big lack of lateral quickness on the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
Just imagine how nice those screen plays for Rowsey and Howard are gonna be when one of the screeners can also shoot  :-*

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
I love watching that video.   Notice how this was a high pick and roll that left #15 looking like Luke Fischer trying to defend an attacking guard in space.   Which is why everybody runs it.     MU just has to get better at defending it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »
We're going to the tourney, Froling is going to be a difference maker

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
At the MKE Coaches Luncheon Wojo asked for patience but only until later in the year.  He kept saying we'd make mistakes but we would be a better team late, a fun team, a team we would all like.   Everyone at my table took that as we're going to the NCAAs.  He easily could have said we graduated a lot of seniors, have great underclassmen, please be patient we're building.  He made it seem like we're building in season. 

I think Harry is a big part of that optimism along with Greg & Jamal of course. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 01:04:50 PM »
In my opinion Sam is a much, much bigger mismatch for other teams to deal with at the 4 than the other team’s 4 is a mismatch for Sam. We’ve been asking Sam to guard the opponent’s best forward every game and he’s done an outstanding job of it and, with the exception of WSU, has stayed out of foul trouble. He handled an All American in Maten about as well as anyone will this year. Sam, Froling, and Heldt on the court together makes for a pretty big lack of lateral quickness on the court.

Well stated, wades.

People talk about the wonders of getting Harry to pick-and-pop. Sam has done this with great success all season - even with all the hype on Markus and Rowsey, Sam is our highest-percentage 3-point shooter this season. I'd be darned surprised if Harry shoots it as well.

Sam also is an above-average to good defender of the 6-6 to 6-9 players he's been asked to defend (give or take a couple inches). A couple of our best runs have come when he's been our tallest player on the court.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to see too much of a Heldt-Froling-Sam frontcourt, just as I didn't particularly care for the Gardner-Otule-Jamil frontcourt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »
How about the Theo, Froling, Sam front court?   If they just move their feet and keep their hands up, it will be a lot. 

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »
How about the Theo, Froling, Sam front court?   If they just move their feet and keep their hands up, it will be a lot.

When Wojo realizes his guards can not really guard anybody and decides to play zone, why not, MU won the championship with Whitehead, Toone and Bo since
Toone had no idea how to play D.  Big back line, agreed!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
The problem with MU and zone is the tiny guards.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »

One wonders if Haanif transferring was more about Sam taking his time at the three with Harry moving in...

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 01:27:54 PM »
One wonders if Haanif transferring was more about Sam taking his time at the three with Harry moving in...

Haanif wants to play in the NBA, good luck.  For Tower, play zone when you have Elliott in.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 02:17:05 PM »
Haanif wants to play in the NBA, good luck.  For Tower, play zone when you have Elliott in.
Yep
Elliot/Rowsey
Elliot/Markus
Goal is National Championship

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
Here's how KenPom.com breaks down the front court minutes in the past 5 games:

C
Matt Heldt (62%)
Theo John (24%)
Sam Hauser (12%)

PF
Sam Hauser (69%)
Jamal Cain (23%)
Sacar Anim (8%)

Harry was rated as a 4-star recruit even before getting serious about his conditioning and working out with the team for the past year. He's been compared to current NBA big men. Based on that alone, I think he'll see more time on the court than any of the freshmen — I'd guess 20+ mpg.

So where do those minutes come from?

Depending on how Harry defends and rebounds, I think he'll play at least 10+ mpg at the 5. This assumes Matt gets 20 mpg (instead of 25+) and Sam doesn't play the 5 anymore at all. I hope Theo continues to earn valuable court time and experience (about 10 mpg).

The other 10 mpg will come from Jamal, Sacar and possibly Sam (at least a bit) at the 4. Again, it depends on how he defends and rebounds. Ultimately, I don't see Jamal (21.6 mpg over the past 5 games) or Greg (22.0 mpg over the past 5 games) getting more minutes than Harry.

As for production, I expect he'll slot in as the 4th best scorer (maybe 8-10 ppg) and 3rd best rebounder behind Matt and Sam (say 4.5 rpg).

Lots of assumptions here. But I expect he'll make a noticeable impact the rest of the way.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
If Harry does turn out to be a monster stud, you gotta give props to Wojo for holding it close to his vest.

Not once has he ever said anything even remotely resembling, "Well, just wait until Harry is eligible" when talking about a disappointing team performance.He hasn't even hinted it.  I don't even recall him discussing Harry unless he was asked a direct question about him.  He expected the team to perform well without him.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
If Harry does turn out to be a monster stud, you gotta give props to Wojo for holding it close to his vest.

Not once has he ever said anything even remotely resembling, "Well, just wait until Harry is eligible" when talking about a disappointing team performance.He hasn't even hinted it.  I don't even recall him discussing Harry unless he was asked a direct question about him.  He expected the team to perform well without him.

I hear he is taller than Rowsey.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »
Don't forget, he was also injured when at SMU (they were playing him anyway).  Not saying he will be a season changer. 

Some here are building expectations a bit high.  He will be a contributor, and probably help us win 1 or 2 games we may not have without him.  That is about the best we can expect.
Winning 1 or 2 games more than not with him could be the difference between dancing and watching from the stands.  Ok, going into Big East play we will probably have 9 victories.  Assuming 20 victories to get to the dance that leaves us needing to win 11 out of 19 games.  No small task in the Big East. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »

I hear he is taller than Rowsey.

Only while Rowsey is sitting down.
Have some patience, FFS.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »
Don't forget, he was also injured when at SMU (they were playing him anyway).  Not saying he will be a season changer. 

Some here are building expectations a bit high.  He will be a contributor, and probably help us win 1 or 2 games we may not have without him.  That is about the best we can expect.
Winning 1 or 2 games more than not with him could be the difference between dancing and watching from the stands.  Ok, going into Big East play we will probably have 9 victories.  Assuming 20 victories to get to the dance that leaves us needing to win 11 out of 19 games.  No small task in the Big East. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »
9 wins in the BE and not losing to DePaul or Georgetown in the first round of the BET gets us dancing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter