[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PMT trashes MU campus  (Read 5554 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
PMT trashes MU campus
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
My boys from PMT trashed MU’s campus as one of two worst in the country (with Purdue). In interview w Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio (who led the trashing), so I suspect some bad beat memories may have contributed to the “hit takes.”

It was in the heels of discussing how Herro was recruited by KY and Big Cat (a badger grad) saying that he gets pissed when Bucky loses a recruit to MU, but he understands how that can happen but it should never happen out of state.

I take the bashing as a badge of honor.

Skitch

• All American
Re: PMT trashes MU campus
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
What is PMT?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 07:18:19 AM »
Yeah, seconded, what is PMT?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 07:42:42 AM »
Pardon My Take. It's a Barstool podcast (although I'd argue a different type of content than the stereotypical Barstool stuff).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
MU's campus .. is pretty rough.

3 years ago, my (step) niece came from Arizona to campus visit MU.  (My sister also went.)  I was tasked to do a night-before driving tour.  The day prior, my sister tells me she got rejected from her #1 school, Syracuse, so MU was on the clock and not to screw it up.

We pile into the mini-van and I have her sit in the front seat.  It was a misty, dark 42 degree day in May.  It was a brutal contrast for this Arizona girl.

We turn West on Wisconsin and 6th and within 30 seconds of her being in the car .. we drive through .. a garbage tornado.  Literal garbage, whirling around pelting our car.  -- I smile at her, saying .. "this is out of season for garbage tornadoes."

.. We drive up Wisc Ave .. I'm pointing out all the new buildings (my sister graduated in the 80s, it's been a while..)  .. all the while I'm thinking, this 17 year old girl could give a crap about all the new buildings.    MU has ZERO curb appeal.    Sure, the buildings are nice.  Golly.

We drove down to the completely dark, empty, brown lakefront (May) .. BEHOLD!  The lakefront.  Maybe you'll see it if you stay over the summer ..

(And now .. for the rest of the story:  she had a great official campus visit and when her mom asked "Well, should we figure a way to get to Purdue (third on the list to visit)? .. Answer:  No, I love it here, I'm going to MU.  -- She lived at McCormick .. lasted one year before transferring to ASU.)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »

3 years ago, my (step) niece came from Arizona to campus visit MU.  (My sister also went.)  I was tasked to do a night-before driving tour.  The day prior, my sister tells me she got rejected from her #1 school, Syracuse, so MU was on the clock and not to screw it up.

We pile into the mini-van and I have her sit in the front seat.  It was a misty, dark 42 degree day in May.  It was a brutal contrast for this Arizona girl.

We turn West on Wisconsin and 6th and within 30 seconds of her being in the car .. we drive through .. a garbage tornado.  Literal garbage, whirling around pelting our car.  -- I smile at her, saying .. "this is out of season for garbage tornadoes."

.. We drive up Wisc Ave .. I'm pointing out all the new buildings (my sister graduated in the 80s, it's been a while..)  .. all the while I'm thinking, this 17 year old girl could give a crap about all the new buildings.    MU has ZERO curb appeal.    Sure, the buildings are nice.  Golly.

We drove down to the completely dark, empty, brown lakefront (May) .. BEHOLD!  The lakefront.  Maybe you'll see it if you stay over the summer ..

(And now .. for the rest of the story:  she had a great official campus visit and when her mom asked "Well, should we figure a way to get to Purdue (third on the list to visit)? .. Answer:  No, I love it here, I'm going to MU.  -- She lived at McCormick .. lasted one year before transferring to ASU.)

In my opinion, MU looks like ASU compared to Syracuse. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »
Admittedly, MU certainly isn't pretty. However, the more I was there the more I appreciated how walkable everything was. Because ya know, Milwaukee winters.

Illinois State has one ugly campus. They have this carpet in their student union that looks like it's been there since the 70s.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »
  unfair comparison of MU and ASU

MU is truly an urban setting and they have done a really nice job with the campus over the last 50 years.  what you see is what you get

ASU-weather weather weather.  yes it gets hot between may-september, but we get cold from november-april.  you can dress for the cold?  ok, but for the guys in the crowd-check out how they dress for the warmth down at ASU and i rest my case. 

ASU blends right into scottsdale, MU blends in to...
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »
Don't know who PMT is.

Don't give a rat's rump what they say about Marquette.

Ring out ahoya!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
Don't know who PMT is.

Don't give a rat's rump what they say about Marquette.

Ring out ahoya!

If you are podcast listener 82, give them a shot.  Very funny stuff IMHO

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »

You've got to really want to be in an urban environment to like MU.  I only considered city schools, and for me, the worse the neighborhood surrounding the school was, the more it appealed to me.  Ended up choosing MU over Temple (which is in an even worse neighborhood than MU) because at that time Temple was like 70% commuter and I wanted a school with a more traditional college residential life if not traditional campus.  I absolutely loved MU but it's definitely not for everyone and the weather is absolutely awful.  It boggles my mind that anyone from the West coast would choose to go there so I'm puzzled that CA is MU's 3rd biggest draw these days after IL and WI, even more than MN.  I'm from the northeast where we also have cold winters but unlike MKE, there's this season called Spring here.  Out there, Fall is basically 2 weeks and Spring does not exist.  For perspective, we got a snowstorm with an accumulation of 6 inches or more in the first week of May 3 of the 4 years I was there.  My Sr. year was the only year that didn't happen  WTF??   Porky likes 4 full seasons, not two, one of which is 9 months.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:45:14 PM by PorkysButthole »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »
It would be interesting to knowthe last time PMT actually visited campus.

It's changed a lot, even within the last 5-10 years.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »
If you are podcast listener 82, give them a shot.  Very funny stuff IMHO

Now I feel old(er), because I've never listened to a podcast in my life. And get off of my lawn!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 12:03:48 AM »
It's a FIB Badger.  It literally doesn't get any worse than "Big Cat."

And the other guy was a Kentucky sports talk radio guy.  He's still having nightmares of Dwyane Wade and Robert Jackson.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 05:37:24 AM »
You've got to really want to be in an urban environment to like MU.  I only considered city schools, and for me, the worse the neighborhood surrounding the school was, the more it appealed to me.  Ended up choosing MU over Temple (which is in an even worse neighborhood than MU) because at that time Temple was like 70% commuter and I wanted a school with a more traditional college residential life if not traditional campus.  I absolutely loved MU but it's definitely not for everyone and the weather is absolutely awful.  It boggles my mind that anyone from the West coast would choose to go there so I'm puzzled that CA is MU's 3rd biggest draw these days after IL and WI, even more than MN.  I'm from the northeast where we also have cold winters but unlike MKE, there's this season called Spring here.  Out there, Fall is basically 2 weeks and Spring does not exist.  For perspective, we got a snowstorm with an accumulation of 6 inches or more in the first week of May 3 of the 4 years I was there.  My Sr. year was the only year that didn't happen  WTF??   Porky likes 4 full seasons, not two, one of which is 9 months.

+1

Urban campuses are far different.  Ever been to Harvard?  You would be unimpressed if you are like Hill-Toppers nieces and are wowed by Arizona (and yes I’ve been their a few times).  Kids that prefer Urban campuses would roll their eyes and think “boring.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »
ASU’s campus is butt ugly, unlike its students.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »
You've got to really want to be in an urban environment to like MU.  I absolutely loved MU but it's definitely not for everyone and the weather is absolutely awful.

Of course.

Anyone who chooses a college based on weather is, well, nuts. OK, Wisconsin has two seasons -- winter and construction. Milwaukee is a city still emerging from a post-industrial funk and Marquette is really, really urban.

You choose a college because its programs fit what you want and need for life. You choose because of the educational environment. You choose because there is something special that appeals to you. There may be a program, a professor or a cultural or societal element that appeals to you.

MU isn't what's on the outside. It's what's on the inside.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »
PMT's opinion hasn't been relevant since the 80s.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 02:05:21 PM »
Now I feel old(er), because I've never listened to a podcast in my life. And get off of my lawn!

Look into it.  I started listening to podcasts a little more than a year ago, and now the vast majority of my listening time in the car is podcasts.  You really can find pretty much anything to suit your interests.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »
Of course.

Anyone who chooses a college based on weather is, well, nuts. OK, Wisconsin has two seasons -- winter and construction. Milwaukee is a city still emerging from a post-industrial funk and Marquette is really, really urban.

You choose a college because its programs fit what you want and need for life. You choose because of the educational environment. You choose because there is something special that appeals to you. There may be a program, a professor or a cultural or societal element that appeals to you.

MU isn't what's on the outside. It's what's on the inside.

Yes and no. I certainly didn't choose MU based on weather and wouldn't suggest that it should be at the top of the most peoples' lists. But you're also putting yourself in an advantageous position by going to school in an area you may want to stay professionally. For a lot of people, weather and aesthetics is what "fit what people want and need for life."  For folks that have lived in warm weather climates before or who are resistant to sticking in the Midwest after school, it'd be tough to begrudge them giving MU a pass.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
It's a FIB Badger.  It literally doesn't get any worse than "Big Cat."

And the other guy was a Kentucky sports talk radio guy.  He's still having nightmares of Dwyane Wade and Robert Jackson.

In Big Cat's defense, he said nothing about MU's campus.  The comments all came from PFT, whom I believe is a JMU grad. (Not that it is relevant at all.)

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
Yes and no. I certainly didn't choose MU based on weather and wouldn't suggest that it should be at the top of the most peoples' lists. But you're also putting yourself in an advantageous position by going to school in an area you may want to stay professionally. For a lot of people, weather and aesthetics is what "fit what people want and need for life."  For folks that have lived in warm weather climates before or who are resistant to sticking in the Midwest after school, it'd be tough to begrudge them giving MU a pass.

Burrow:

I grew up in Tennessee. I guess that qualifies as a warm weather climate and trust me, this was long ago, way before Nashville was hip. In fact, back then it was hick -- which is why I had no intention of leaving the Midwest after college.

You're right about going to school where you want to work. I really believe that. Unless you're going to about a dozen national universities (i.e., the Ivies and maybe University of Chicago), regionalism matters. A Marquette degree in Seattle generally does not stand out, for example. Even the vaunted Notre Dame is still a regional school to the East and Midwest. Not sure it means a whole lot other than football in California unless, of course, you are interviewing with another Notre Dame grad.

Quite simply, you will get better receptiveness where you have a large concentration of grads.

This in my mind is one reason why the basketball team is so important. It creates visibility. I interviewed for my first job the year after we won the NCAA. People knew Marquette for that reason. Yeah, the Philosophy department will go nuts, as will a host of other eggheads, but that's reality.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »

In Big Cat's defense, he said nothing about MU's campus.  The comments all came from PFT, whom I believe is a JMU grad. (Not that it is relevant at all.)

Maybe I’m misremembering who said what. I thought I remembered the Kentucky sports talk radio hick talking about getting PMT’s Badger (Herro), Big Cat saying they can’t let WI players out of the state, that he hates when kids from WI go to MU but at least he understands it, and then the hick from Kentucky saying MU had an awful campus and Big Cat chiming in that it, along with Purdue, are the 2 worst campuses in the country, with PFT only saying “it’s like a giant wind tunnel walking around MU’s campus.”
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:38:49 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
Maybe I’m misremembering who said what. I thought I remembered the Kentucky sports talk radio hick talking about getting PMT’s Badger (Herro), PMT saying they can’t let WI players out of the state, that he hates when kids from WI go to MU but at least he understands it, and then the hick from Kentucky saying MU had an awful campus and Big Cat chiming in, with PMT only saying “it’s like a giant wind tunnel walking around MU’s campus.”

I mean, Big Cat certainly isn't wrong in that regards. That's actually a pretty good assessment of Marquette's campus.

The walk across the 9th street bridge in the winter is brutal, and that passage by Olin engineering isn't exactly a walk in the park either.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »
I heard it. It was needlessly harsh - perhaps Kentucky guy is still stinging from 3 tourney exists courtesy of MU - but not an altogether unfair assessment.
It's an urban campus in the middle of a not aesthetically appealing city. And, while campus has improved in recent years, if your vision of a college campus looks more like Virginia, Notre Dame and Indiana, then you're likely to find the area around MU to be unappealing.
That's fine.

feedback