[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Midwest Cities  (Read 21514 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Midwest Cities
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2017, 09:58:08 AM »
Went to Detroit for a Packer game a few years ago. It was a fun place to visit. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
You're always negative. Pretty sure I'm sitting next to you at Wandos right now. Resting bitch face.

Interesting.  She's not that way at all.  Now she has opinions on things that she's willing to share and she can certainly be sarcastic when she wants to be but are you simply upset that she might disagree with you?  Can you simply not handle a woman with her own opinion?  Seriously, in some stages in life Chicago (or any place) offers strong positives.  In other stages, not so much.  Does anyone really believe retiring here is a good idea absent grandkids, etc.?  We don't.  But that's why it's a free country, right?  Anyway, it's an hour to Bucky beatdown.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »
You're always negative. Pretty sure I'm sitting next to you at Wandos right now. Resting bitch face.

Funniest post of the year.
Have some patience, FFS.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
Just curious if people would post the list of cities where they have actually LIVED for at least a year, to get a perspective on how much of it is homerism, and how much is based on real-life comparison.

I'll start:

Milwaukee (born and raised)
Chicago
Madison
Nashville
Richmond
Rochester

And FWIW, in each case, I have lived in the city mentioned (not the 'burbs).

Of the cities I've lived, if I were ranking where I'd want to live for the rest of my life, I'd rank them:

1. Rochester
2. Madison
3. Milwaukee
4. Nashville
5. Chicago
6. Richmond
Here is the list of the cities( with Neighborhoods as applicable) I have lived in.
1. LA-South Central LA
2. LA-Homeless Downtown LA
3. LA-North Hollywood
4. Del Mar CA
5. Madison
6. Milwaukee
7. East Lansing
8. Knoxville, TN
9. New York - West Village
10. New York- Gramercy Park
11. New York- UN
12. New York- Upper East Side
13. New York - Upper West Side
14. New York- Suburbs
15. Palm Beach
16. Chicago- Hyde Park
17. Chicago- Gold Coast
18. Chicago- Lincoln Park
19. Chicago- Lincoln Square

I think when I evaluate the cities certain factors have to be taken into. From a financial standpoint I have been destitute, poor, student , broke,  middle class, upper middle class, rich, wealthy.From a personal standpoint I have been  single, had a girlfriend  married, had kids, had mistress, engaged in affair. I think all these things taken together help create a point of view . 

Overall I would say New York is the worst place. It is highly overrated. Crowded bad traffic just an overall unhealthy place. Lots of people with bad attitudes.

I would say Chicago is the best place I lived, as it has almost everything New York has but it far more livable. The only things New York has that Chicago doesn't are Broadway and the fashion industries which I could care less about . New York is also a media capital, but  as I have gotten to know many of those people over the years, I have found that to a be a negative.

My overall best and most enjoyable was living on the Gold Coast in Chicago. I could walk to work, go to the beach, easy access to high way to get to Ohare .  Had a great view of the lake and lake shore drive. Relationship status was perfect.

I think the period of time I lived in LA shaped a lot of my world view.  I was at the bottom and it forced me to be independent and self reliant. It also taught me early on how many phonies there are in the world. Showed me anything is possible if you believe in your self .

Madison , East Lansing and Knoxville are all fun depending on the context . Del Mar was pretty but it is like living in a vacation all year long .  Palm Beach is full of wealthy socialites and gets old quickly. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
The improvements in test scores and graduation rates (still well below state and national averages) reflect to a degree an ongoing drop in student population, particularly in poorer performing schools.  And as the population of students declines, measures to reduce cost are not commensurate.  Plans to close or consolidate schools and reduce administrative overhead are met with opposition of CTU, whose pension system is insolvent despite the recent $140 MM bailout from the state's "Education Funding" bill.

And the CPS CEO resigned today amid an ethics scandal....

So, your position is all the poor test-takers and future dropouts left the city?
Huh.

Of course the test scores are below average. The (by far) number one factor in success on standardized tests is socio-economic standing. You think kids from Englewood and Austin and Back of the Yards are going to have the same academic success as kids from Wilmette and Naperville, or even Moline and Springfield?

And the CEO's resignation (do you even know why?) proves the schools are poor, how?

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »
 Hah, indeed.  I was putting your hyperbolic claim of "remarkable" progress in the proper context.  Where did I say ALL the poor performers left the city? Where did I say "the schools are poor?"

And the Claypool resignation was applauded by the CTU, because he tried to trim expenses and consolidate operations and didn't beg, borrow or steal to their liking.  Did you know that?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2017, 04:58:15 PM »
Hah, indeed.  I was putting your hyperbolic claim of "remarkable" progress in the proper context.  Where did I say ALL the poor performers left the city? Where did I say "the schools are poor?"

The progress has been remarkable. Are you disputing that? A Stanford study released this year showed CPS test scores improving at a rate better than 96 percent of districts across the country. Do they still have a ways to go? Of course, because where they were a 15-20 years ago was so low. But that doesn't remotely invalidate what I wrote (which, I suppose, you're tacitly admitting).

And the Claypool resignation was applauded by the CTU, because he tried to trim expenses and consolidate operations and didn't beg, borrow or steal to their liking.  Did you know that?

So, the answer is no?

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »
No, I know why Claypool resigned.  As I stated earlier it was regarding and ethics scandal.  Cover-up, lying to Inspector General, conflict of interest.  Just another day in Chicago politics.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2017, 06:11:38 PM »
Here is the list of the cities( with Neighborhoods as applicable) I have lived in.
1. LA-South Central LA
2. LA-Homeless Downtown LA
3. LA-North Hollywood
4. Del Mar CA
5. Madison
6. Milwaukee
7. East Lansing
8. Knoxville, TN
9. New York - West Village
10. New York- Gramercy Park
11. New York- UN
12. New York- Upper East Side
13. New York - Upper West Side
14. New York- Suburbs
15. Palm Beach
16. Chicago- Hyde Park
17. Chicago- Gold Coast
18. Chicago- Lincoln Park
19. Chicago- Lincoln Square

I think when I evaluate the cities certain factors have to be taken into. From a financial standpoint I have been destitute, poor, student , broke,  middle class, upper middle class, rich, wealthy.From a personal standpoint I have been  single, had a girlfriend  married, had kids, had mistress, engaged in affair. I think all these things taken together help create a point of view . 

Overall I would say New York is the worst place. It is highly overrated. Crowded bad traffic just an overall unhealthy place. Lots of people with bad attitudes.

I would say Chicago is the best place I lived, as it has almost everything New York has but it far more livable. The only things New York has that Chicago doesn't are Broadway and the fashion industries which I could care less about . New York is also a media capital, but  as I have gotten to know many of those people over the years, I have found that to a be a negative.

My overall best and most enjoyable was living on the Gold Coast in Chicago. I could walk to work, go to the beach, easy access to high way to get to Ohare .  Had a great view of the lake and lake shore drive. Relationship status was perfect.

I think the period of time I lived in LA shaped a lot of my world view.  I was at the bottom and it forced me to be independent and self reliant. It also taught me early on how many phonies there are in the world. Showed me anything is possible if you believe in your self .

Madison , East Lansing and Knoxville are all fun depending on the context . Del Mar was pretty but it is like living in a vacation all year long .  Palm Beach is full of wealthy socialites and gets old quickly.
Wow, you've been kicked out of a lot of places  ;D
Goal is National Championship

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »
One thing we might all agree on:  Madison would have been the best Midwest City to be in late this morning and early this afternoon.

;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »
One can find enjoyable, rewarding, satisfying places to live in any metro area.

I have friends and relatives who live in the Detroit area, the Cleveland area, the KC area, the St. Louis area and many others, and they love where they live. They love their pro teams, they love their suburban enclaves, they love their schools, etc.

I live in Charlotte. There are many areas that are gorgeous and extremely livable. There are many that I would't condemn my enemies to live in.

Like pretty much every other city in America.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2017, 12:23:30 AM »
TheGRIMEY

Your post made me laugh quite hard. Well done.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
Guess it is what you are looking for.  Twin Cities is great.  Grand Rapids is also great.  Madison is to phony for me.  As I see it, raping the rest of Wisconsin for them to look good.   But that is just my opinion.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:05 AM »
Went to Detroit for a Packer game a few years ago. It was a fun place to visit. Definitely exceeded my expectations.
I worked in the Detroit metro for 4 years.  When people ask me of my experience there I tell them I had a blast.  Their Metro Parks are awesome.  Many hours blading around Kennsington.  Also loved to hang out in Royal Oak.   Has a blue collar feel (I grew up in Kenosha) with a high IQ from all the engineering.  People are great too, tough exteriors but warm hearts.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2017, 09:02:44 PM »
  Madison is to phony for me.  As I see it, raping the rest of Wisconsin for them to look good.   But that is just my opinion.

What do you mean by this?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
One thing we might all agree on:  Madison would have been the best Midwest City to be in late this morning and early this afternoon.

;)

Amen, Brother Goooo - God do I love MU beating Bucky!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
The progress has been remarkable. Are you disputing that? A Stanford study released this year showed CPS test scores improving at a rate better than 96 percent of districts across the country. Do they still have a ways to go? Of course, because where they were a 15-20 years ago was so low. But that doesn't remotely invalidate what I wrote (which, I suppose, you're tacitly admitting).

So, the answer is no?

In my opinion...You're dead wrong on this.  Citing the Stanford research study is great...while you question if someone knows why Claypool resigned...but do you understand the methodology used in the study you reference?  Have you read the peer reviews?  The study may be reliable, but it has validity issues that many with similar "Stanford" level research skills have questioned.  Nothing against CPS...they have an impossible battle on their hands.

Oh, and for best cities to live in...never enjoyed big cities for more than a few days...Kohler and Bailey's Harbor do it for me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »

So, the answer is no?

If you have a penny and I give you another penny your net worth just increased by 100%. Some would call such an increase remarkable. I'd say you're still pretty bad off.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
Chicago receives -10000 points for its traffic issues.  Too many damn people.

That's why it is great to live and work in the city--you don't drive. A bad day commute for me is 20 minutes tops from Lakeview to the Lake stop. If it's nice out, I get a great bike ride on the lake path. The concentration of businesses in the loop/west loop/river north and good public transportation infrastructure is great.

I don't get the vitriol for the city. If you don't like the amenities of a big city, don't live in Chicago. Now, if there's anything to complain about, it is the lack of a good golf course I don't have to drive for 40 minutes to reach.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2017, 10:00:13 PM »
If you don't like the amenities of a big city, don't live in Chicago. Now, if there's anything to complain about, it is the lack of a good golf course I don't have to drive for 40 minutes to reach.

This.

How many Scoopers are "forced" to live anywhere?

We walked almost everywhere during the time we lived in Chicago, and where we didn't walk we took public transit.

Totally agree about the golf, though. My buddies and I had a regular game on Friday. Took me a solid 30-40 minutes to get to the course, and often an hour, 15 or more to get home on a Friday afternoon.

But even all of that was my choice. I chose to live in Chicago, I chose to want to play golf.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2017, 10:12:42 PM »
That's why it is great to live and work in the city--you don't drive. A bad day commute for me is 20 minutes tops from Lakeview to the Lake stop. If it's nice out, I get a great bike ride on the lake path. The concentration of businesses in the loop/west loop/river north and good public transportation infrastructure is great.

I don't get the vitriol for the city. If you don't like the amenities of a big city, don't live in Chicago. Now, if there's anything to complain about, it is the lack of a good golf course I don't have to drive for 40 minutes to reach.

Harborside isn't far from downtown - public, two solid 18 hole courses.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2017, 10:20:16 PM »
Harborside isn't far from downtown - public, two solid 18 hole courses.

Harborside in the afternoon during late August was probably my favorite round I've ever played. The weather/environment almost made me forget how garbage I was playing.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
Lived in Lincoln Park for 4 years, now in Madison for 6+.  They aren't really comparable for a whole lot of reasons, biggest being cost of living.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2017, 11:57:42 PM »
I also enjoyed Harborside the few times I played it, but it's pricey. I didn't have the kind of money - or the kind of game - to justify $75+ rounds.

And the ride home from Harborside on a Friday afternoon was no picnic, either.