[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Markus Sets (Another) MU Record  (Read 6274 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Markus Sets (Another) MU Record
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
Fun fact I learned while looking up the capacity of the Joe Gentile arena:

Loyola is the only school in the state of Illinois to have won an NCAA championship in basketball.

I thought that was common knowledge

Despite all the D1 schools the only two with legitimate history are U of I and Depaul, maybe SIU to but never championship caliber.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
When is the last time you thought about Loyola?

Actually, I was thinking about Loyola yesterday while reading that they shut down the 405 due to the fires.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »
Actually, I was thinking about Loyola yesterday while reading that they shut down the 405 due to the fires.

Loyola Marymount.    Nice. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
Did you know that Loyola Marymount is only a half hour drive from Mount St. Mary's?  But not the Mount St. Mary's you're thinking of.  You're thinking of the other Mount St. Mary's which is about an hour away from Loyola.  But not the Loyola you're thinking of.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 12:09:07 PM »
Did you know that Loyola Marymount is only a half hour drive from Mount St. Mary's?  But not the Mount St. Mary's you're thinking of.  You're thinking of the other Mount St. Mary's which is about an hour away from Loyola.  But not the Loyola you're thinking of.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
Older Bro put a hurting on Cal.

Woulda been nice to have him on the squad as well

Even nicer we avoided playing Cal. God they suck
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 01:28:15 PM »
Older Bro put a hurting on Cal.

Woulda been nice to have him on the squad as well

Even nicer we avoided playing Cal. God they suck

Wow. Central Arkansas beat them by near 30. Anyone still pining for Cuonzo?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
Wow. Central Arkansas beat them by near 30. Anyone still pining for Cuonzo?

Cuonzos at Missouri
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »
Cuonzos at Missouri

He is. And he was at Cal last season. And he would likely still be at Mizzou even if he had been hired here. He took a solid Cal program and ran into the ground in three seasons. They'll be lucky to finish 11th in the PAC 12.
TAMU

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »
He is. And he was at Cal last season. And he would likely still be at Mizzou even if he had been hired here. He took a solid Cal program and ran into the ground in three seasons. They'll be lucky to finish 11th in the PAC 12.
How did he run the program in the ground? I'm genuinely curious -- he very well may have.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
How did he run the program in the ground? I'm genuinely curious -- he very well may have.

How? You'd have to ask to Cal fans about the specifics. What I do know is that his time out there went like this:

• Took over a team that went 21-14 and had a 2 seed in the NIT.
  • Missed the postseason in year 1
  • Landed two 5 star freshman and earned a 5 seed (and first round upset) in year 2
  • Made the NIT as a 1 seed (and lost in the first round) in year 3
  • Left for Mizzou
  • Now the fallout from his departure has Cal starting this season off 3-6 with losses to UC-Riverside, Chaminade (by 24), and Central Arkansas (by 27). Only wins are against Cal Poly, Wofford, and CSU Northridge.

He also managed to have a sexual harassment scandal with one of his assistants IIRC.

Don't know what would have happened if Cuonzo came here, but I'm pretty sure that we would have still left for the Mizzou job. I know if the results had been a missed postseason, an NCAA first round exit, an NIT first round exit, and then starting what seems like a multi-year rebuild with a new coach....I would have been pissed.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
I wanted Martin, especially with how he seemed unfairly treated at Tennessee. But it's clear in retrospect he was running from something and not to something. I'd rather someone who seems to actually want to be at Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »
I wanted Martin, especially with how he seemed unfairly treated at Tennessee. But it's clear in retrospect he was running from something and not to something. I'd rather someone who seems to actually want to be at Marquette.

And I think that came across in the interviews. He had no real plan/vision except recruiting (which is important and he is good with). His teams play defense, though.

That said, he has had problems, maybe not all his own as he is a good man. But, following Buzz...wasn’t going to happen.

#PPTskillsmatta

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
Fun fact I learned while looking up the capacity of the Joe Gentile arena:

Loyola is the only school in the state of Illinois to have won an NCAA championship in basketball.

The team was notable in that it broke the so-called "gentlemen's agreement" amongst coaches in which no more than two black players would be on the floor at one time (and in some road games, black players would have to rotate so that only one of them was playing at any given moment): the Ramblers would regularly have three or four black starters, paving the way for the 1965-66 Texas Western Miners men's basketball team who would finally put the "agreement" to rest and have an all-black starting five.

On July 11, 2013, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of their championship, surviving members of Loyola's team were honored by President Barack Obama in a ceremony at the Oval Office of the White House. It also was announced that the entire team would be inducted in the College Basketball Hall of Fame in a ceremony scheduled for November 2013.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:46 PM »
I wanted Martin, especially with how he seemed unfairly treated at Tennessee.

You of all people should know what an RPI drain Tennessee-Martin would be.
Why the hell would you want them?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
I remember watching Terry Furlow of Michigan State score 50,48 and 42 against Iowa, Northwestern and Ohio State in the pre 3 point era. I estimate the 3 point equivalent was probably 58,56 and 50.

Markus  picture shooting in the left panel for SOTG  reminds me a little bit of Furlows shooting style.

Furlow died in a cocaine related car crash which cut short a promising professional career.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 12:48:49 AM »
The best pre-3-era game I saw a player have in person was Scott Skiles scoring 45 for Michigan State at Williams Arena. It seemed at least half of his shots were from NBA 3-point range. He was a hell of a college player, and a pretty good pro, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
The best pre-3-era game I saw a player have in person was Scott Skiles scoring 45 for Michigan State at Williams Arena. It seemed at least half of his shots were from NBA 3-point range. He was a hell of a college player, and a pretty good pro, too.

He and Shaq were virtually unstoppable in NBA Jam (pre-Tournament Edition).

feedback