[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: brewers in the running for babe ruth of japan!!  (Read 5156 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
brewers in the running for babe ruth of japan!!
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »

this guy has A LOT of potential.  i've seen 60 minutes episode on him and he is the real deal in japan.  he's only 23(so they say) and has ruled out the yankees and the red sox. 

the brewers are on his short list.  i wonder if anttanasio can lure him over-the signing bonus doesn't look all that high at $3,35 mil, but i would be curious as to what he's looking for if not new york or los angeles.  i would guess he'd rather play on a national league team because pitchers can hit, but the twins, blue jays and athletics are in the running as well. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21657459/new-york-yankees-boston-red-sox-running-sign-shohei-ohtani
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
Re: brewers in the running for babe ruth of japan!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »

this guy has A LOT of potential.  i've seen 60 minutes episode on him and he is the real deal in japan.  he's only 23(so they say) and has ruled out the yankees and the red sox. 

the brewers are on his short list.  i wonder if anttanasio can lure him over-the signing bonus doesn't look all that high at $3,35 mil, but i would be curious as to what he's looking for if not new york or los angeles.  i would guess he'd rather play on a national league team because pitchers can hit, but the twins, blue jays and athletics are in the running as well. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21657459/new-york-yankees-boston-red-sox-running-sign-shohei-ohtani

Did you read the article? It says the Brewers are out of the running.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »

Lolllllll!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »
Ohtani is BOTH a starting pitcher with 100 MPH stuff and capable of hitting for average and 40+ HRs (so they say).

Supposedly he wants to be a starting pitcher and a 3 or 4 hitter on the days he does not want to pitch.  The reason so many teams have been ruled out if they want him to pick one, not do both.

Rumor is he likely to end of on a small market team that is desperate for attendance and let him do both,

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:05 PM »
Ohtani is BOTH a starting pitcher with 100 MPH stuff and capable of hitting for average and 40+ HRs (so they say).

Supposedly he wants to be a starting pitcher and a 3 or 4 hitter on the days he does not want to pitch.  The reason so many teams have been ruled out if they want him to pick one, not do both.

Rumor is he likely to end of on a small market team that is desperate for attendance and let him do both,

Haven't heard anyone say they think he is a 40 hr bat.  Probably more like 20 or so, but there seems to be questions about his bat, while there are apparently none about him being a top of the rotation arm.

And many of the teams remaining are decidedly large market teams. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »

Oops.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »
Haven't heard anyone say they think he is a 40 hr bat.  Probably more like 20 or so, but there seems to be questions about his bat, while there are apparently none about him being a top of the rotation arm.

And many of the teams remaining are decidedly large market teams.

I wonder if he has as good of an arm as Sidd Finch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
My sources say he will be a 50-game winner (thanks to his 2 relief appearances between each of his 30 starts), will hit 75 home runs, will steal 140 bases, and will date both Kate Upton and Justin Upton.

He also will be a Brewer. He's saying the Brewers are out of the running only to throw others off his scent!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:47:17 AM »
So he works both ways, eh?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
Its too bad that he gets so jobbed by the international signing rules - I'd be fascinated to see what he would be worth on the open market.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 09:02:42 AM »

Fake news.   Just because it says the Brewers are out of the running, it is clearly a fabrication by failing ESPN!     Sad!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 09:29:16 AM »
Think how great the 80's Mets would have been with him.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2014/10/15/curious-case-sidd-finch
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:35:08 AM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
If it's the Brewers then he must be PEDing...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
Its too bad that he gets so jobbed by the international signing rules - I'd be fascinated to see what he would be worth on the open market.

Probably $150 - $200 million.  He could have waited two years so he wouldn't have been subject to the spending restrictions so money clearly isn't the most important factor for him. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
Probably $150 - $200 million.  He could have waited two years so he wouldn't have been subject to the spending restrictions so money clearly isn't the most important factor for him.

Uffda. He may end up being worth that, but I wonder how much of that is attributable to the arm and how much is attributable to the the pitch/hit combo. I may end up eating these words, but I don't think the ability to pitch and hit would be worth all that much to me. If I were a GM, I'd probably just evaluate him on what he does best (which is why my team would never get him, since doing both is such a high priority of his).

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »

well it isn't like the OP is a Brain Scientist

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
Uffda. He may end up being worth that, but I wonder how much of that is attributable to the arm and how much is attributable to the the pitch/hit combo. I may end up eating these words, but I don't think the ability to pitch and hit would be worth all that much to me. If I were a GM, I'd probably just evaluate him on what he does best (which is why my team would never get him, since doing both is such a high priority of his).

Well I think the majority of his value lies in his arm but if he wants to try to be a two-way player these teams are going to give him that opportunity. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »

Nobody has an arm ad good as Sidd's.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
Btdubs there's no rule that says the dh bat's for the pitcher as far as I know.

Also if he played on the AL he could dh on days he doesn't pitch. Allowing him far more at bat's then the NL

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
Wants a small market, west coast team... Cubs make his short list. Weird.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 03:09:51 PM »
Wants a small market, west coast team... Cubs make his short list. Weird.
They are on the west coast of Lake Michigan.   As is Milwaukee. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
Btdubs there's no rule that says the dh bat's for the pitcher as far as I know.

Also if he played on the AL he could dh on days he doesn't pitch. Allowing him far more at bat's then the NL

He can get for himself in the AL but then you forfeit your DH the entire game so relief pitchers would have to get as well.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
He can get for himself in the AL but then you forfeit your DH the entire game so relief pitchers would have to get as well.

That's only a rule if you take the dh out of the game. I believe the rule is the same as in college. You can designate someone to bat for a fielder. It doesn't have to be a pitcher no?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
Well I think the majority of his value lies in his arm but if he wants to try to be a two-way player these teams are going to give him that opportunity.

Ehhh. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see whoever signs Ohtani to use him strictly as a pitcher.  Maybe let him pinch hit now and again, but I don't see them running him out there in the OF 3 days a week and pitching 1. 

I think there are only a couple teams in MLB that would let him be a true 2 way player.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.