[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who will get the last CFB Playoff Spot?

Alabama
28 (77.8%)
Ohio State
8 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Vote: Bama or tOSU for the last CFB Playoff Spot?  (Read 4013 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Vote: Bama or tOSU for the last CFB Playoff Spot?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
According to the oddsmaker, #4 seed Alabama has the best chance to win it all at 35%.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »
Expand to eight, the five power conference champs and three at-large bids.

This way everyone of the 65 power five conference schools have a guaranteed path to the playoffs ... win your conference and you are in.

Agreed with one amendment.  If a non power 5 goes undefeated and is ranked at least 15th (made up number put it wherever you think makes sense)  they get an auto bid too. Cinderellas are good for the sport
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Get rid of conference championships. Use the extra week to expand the playoffs. Make campus sites host the first round.  Easy peasy
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »
Get rid of conference championships. Use the extra week to expand the playoffs. Make campus sites host the first round.  Easy peasy

Agreed with one amendment.  If a non power 5 goes undefeated and is ranked at least 15th (made up number put it wherever you think makes sense)  they get an auto bid too. Cinderellas are good for the sport

So you agree with expanding to 8 and giving the power conference champions an auto-bid, but then want to get rid of conference championships?  How are you going to determine conference champions then?

Some conferences have divisions.  Almost no conferences have round robin schedules.  You kind of need a conference championship these days to determine your conference champion.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
I would get rid of divisions personally.  Even if you didn't you can put in a series of tiebreakers to determine conference champs
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 11:29:12 AM »

That is what we have the selection committee for. 

Even if we have the five auto-bids, still need the selection committee to seed and pick the three at-large bids.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
I would get rid of divisions personally.  Even if you didn't you can put in a series of tiebreakers to determine conference champs

I guess my point is that if you do get rid of divisions you still can't possibly play each team in your conference if you're the B1G and you have 14 (I think that's what they're at now?) teams.  So let's just say they did get rid of divisions and UW ends up with the schedule they had this past season.  They then don't have to play the B1G title game and represent the B1G in the CFP, but they didn't even have to play PSU, MSU, or OSU, the 3 best teams (aside from them) in the B1G.  I think with the size of conferences these days making it impossible to play each team and thus creating uneven scheduling, you need a conference title game to determine your conference champion.

You could try to cut the conference season by one or maybe take out 1 non-conference matchup and have the conference title game a week earlier if you start the CFP earlier.  Or you could have less time between the conference title game and the CFP beginning.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:10:46 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »
I guess my point is that if you do get rid of divisions you still can't possibly play each team in your conference if you're the B1G and you have 14 (I think that's what they're at now?) teams.  So let's just say they did get rid of divisions and UW ends up with the schedule they had this past season.  They then don't have to play the B1G title game and represent the B1G in the CFP, but they didn't even have to play PSU, MSU, or OSU, the 3 best teams (aside from them) in the B1G.  I think with the size of conferences this day making it impossible to play each team and thus creating uneven scheduling, you need a conference title game to determine your conference champion.

You could try to cut the conference season by one or maybe take out 1 non-conference matchup and have the conference title game a week earlier if you start the CFP earlier.  Or you could have less time between the conference title game and the CFP beginning.

In that situation, with an expanded playoff Wisconsin would get in and Ohio State would likely get in as an at large.
TAMU

feedback