[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Flat Earthers Are Making A Come Back  (Read 2171 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Flat Earthers Are Making A Come Back
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »
So sad ...

America’s flat-Earth movement appears to be growing
https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/11/daily-chart-21?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/

Simply rebutting conspiracy theories may make adherents even more entrenched in their views. (If “they” are so keen to deny it, it must be true!) Absence of evidence is taken as evidence of a fiendishly effective cover-up. Some conspiracy theories are irrefutable—the American government cannot prove, for example, that it is not storing dead aliens in a secret underground laboratory.

If schools were better at teaching analytical thinking, that might reduce the appeal of conspiracy theories. And it would not hurt if governments were more open and trustworthy. Meanwhile, the best response is often to ignore the tinfoil-hat brigade. After the rapper B.o.B sparked an argument on Twitter about the shape of the Earth in 2016, one of the groups supposedly responsible for misleading the public on this point, NASA, chose not to weigh in. A spokeswoman told the Washington Post: “we don’t think there’s a debate to be had.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Flat Earthers Are Making A Come Back
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:58 PM »
Stupid people are not "making a comeback". They are always with us.

The only difference is that their ranks are growing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:50:33 AM »
Probably having difficulty differentiating between click bait fake news and reality. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
So do flat earthers think all planets are flat? Because I can definitely look through a telescope and see that Mars is a sphere. Do they think Earth is different from every other planet?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
Stupid people are not "making a comeback". They are always with us.

The only difference is that their ranks are growing.

Doesn't their ranks growing = making a comeback?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
This is what happens when people have became brainwashed that scientists don't know what they are talking about.  Evolution, climate change, etc.  The people become sheep.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
If the evidence for flat-earthers making a comeback is based off of google search volume, and a big chunk of that is related to Kyrie Irving saying he's a flat-earther, then at least some portion of that spike are of people searching, but not believing, in flat-earth, no?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
This is what happens when people have became brainwashed that scientists don't know what they are talking about.  Evolution, climate change, etc.  The people become sheep.
This may be saying the same thing.....

I don't think the ranks are growing as much as we've given a platform for the stupid to view every explanation as equal and we've confused 'famous' with 'informed/knowledgeable'.  Toxic mix of the internet, stupidity, and not differentiating between 'famous' and 'informed/knowledgeable'. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »

I don't think the ranks are growing as much as we've given a platform for the stupid to view every explanation as equal and we've confused 'famous' with 'informed/knowledgeable'.  Toxic mix of the internet, stupidity, and not differentiating between 'famous' and 'informed/knowledgeable'. 

Well stated.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »

I agree with this. 

As a scientist, I've had people I know tell me I'm wrong (on things I'm an expert on), because the likes of Food Babe said otherwise.  Actual scientific data is not as impressive to many, as statements of a famed blog.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
I agree with this. 

As a scientist, I've had people I know tell me I'm wrong (on things I'm an expert on), because the likes of Food Babe said otherwise.  Actual scientific data is not as impressive to many, as statements of a famed blog.

Food Babe is infuriating in her misinformation.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
Doesn't their ranks growing = making a comeback?

No, it doesn't.