[Today at 02:06:54 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

UGA, UVM, WIS? how does MU do?

UGA-W   UVM-W   WIS-W   (3-0)
59 (29.1%)
UGA-W   UVM-W   WIS-L   (2-1)
62 (30.5%)
UGA-W   UVM-L   WIS-W   (2-1)
16 (7.9%)
UGA-L   UVM-W   WIS-W   (2-1)
20 (9.9%)
UGA-L   UVM-L   WIS-W   (1-2)
3 (1.5%)
UGA-L   UVM-W   WIS-L   (1-2)
24 (11.8%)
UGA-W   UVM-L   WIS-L   (1-2)
6 (3%)
UGA-L   UVM-L   WIS-L   (0-3)
13 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Voting closed: December 02, 2017, 01:32:56 PM

Author Topic: Next Week?  (Read 10705 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Next Week?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
UGa worries me the most, so I said 2-1.  If we don't beat this rodent team, I'll begin to get concerned. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »
I really think you should be prepared for a loss in Madison.  Happ is going to brutalize MU's interior defense, and UW's defense is good enough to shut down a one-dimensional team.  UW has lost to four ranked teams.  Two of those games were within five points at a neutral site, and another (Xavier) was close until the last few minutes.

They aren't as good as they have been previously, but I don't get where the assumption that MU should win this game comes from.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 08:27:02 AM »
We don't match up well against Georgia.  A lot of height on that team.  Tall, athletic, quick.  But they don't shoot 3's very well, but their size may affect our 3's too.  Georgia scares me the most.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
Georgia is largely the same team they were last season minus Frazier and plus Hammonds. If we could handle them at their place last season, I think we can handle them at our place this season. We have played two games since they played their last game so they theoretically have had longer to scout us.

Stick Sammy on Maten and give him plenty of double team help. Heldt/John on Ogbedie/Edwards, neither  are good scorers. Anim on Hammonds, Anim gives up a lot of height in that matchup but I think his physicality could unnerve the freshman. Put Markus/Rowsey on Jackson and tell them to live in Jackson's jersey, kid is a shooter not a driver. Put Elliott and Cain wherever help and disruption is needed.

I think Georgia is the game I am most confident about. Vermont's discipline, experience, and pace scares me a bit. Feels like a trap game before the rivalry game with Bucky.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:03:54 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 09:01:48 AM »
Of these 3 teams, I'm thinking Georgia will have the worst record / lowest RPI and probably won't make the tournament. This is probably our best shot for a win. The other 2 games will be tough, and winning either of them will be a big plus in my eyes.

I think Vermont is going to have a shot another undefeated conference run and might be sniffing the 30 win mark again. This team is experienced and has 4 starters back from last year, when they held their own against Purdue (with Swanigan) in the tournament. They were one of the best defensive teams in the country last year too, so expect that to continue. I'm not optimistic about this one.   

UW is a bit one dimensional, but their slow pace and home court advantage are probably going to frustrate our guys. I don't think Heldt or Theo will slow Happ down much, so he'll have his usual double-double. The Davison kid seems like he's a standard issue Badger guard - shoots well, doesn't turn the ball over much, not overly athletic. He's been strong so far this year, but I don't think he'll be a difference maker against us. In the end, I think UW's early big-game experience this year along with playing in Madison will be enough to give them the W.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
I think Georgia is the game I am most confident about. Vermont's discipline, experience, and pace scares me a bit. Feels like a trap game before the rivalry game with Bucky.

Yup.  Of the next three,  most confident about Georgia.  Not saying we win easy but I think we pull it out.

Then Vermont... they are exactly the team that can beat us.  Lamb can do it all.  They have two 3 point gunners.  Decent on offensive boards.  Decent defensive team.

I can see a loss to Vermont then us getting up for the UW game in a down year for them and pulling it out.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
Then Vermont... they are exactly the team that can beat us.  Lamb can do it all.  They have two 3 point gunners.  Decent on offensive boards.  Decent defensive team.

I think this underestimates UVM. They were one of the best defenses in the country last year. Maybe even a top 10?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
I think this underestimates UVM. They were one of the best defenses in the country last year. Maybe even a top 10?

Only seen them play once this year but last year and this year ranked around #70 in defense per Pomeroy.  They play super slow which makes their defense look better.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:29:15 AM by MarquetteDano »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »
I really think you should be prepared for a loss in Madison.  Happ is going to brutalize MU's interior defense, and UW's defense is good enough to shut down a one-dimensional team.  UW has lost to four ranked teams.  Two of those games were within five points at a neutral site, and another (Xavier) was close until the last few minutes.

They aren't as good as they have been previously, but I don't get where the assumption that MU should win this game comes from.

Plus the B1G is brutal...ex MSU, Minn and Purdue.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 09:35:39 AM »

74th in defense last year, 73rd this year per Kenpom

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 09:37:13 AM »
Only seen them play once this year but last year and this year ranked around #70 in defense per Pomeroy.  They play super slow which makes their defense look better.

That makes me feel a little better. I think I had seen rankings just based on points allowed, which is obviously not always the best metric. On the other hand, though, I worry about the pace if UVM is able to slow it down. We're such a heavy volume offense that having fewer possessions could be an issue.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
Of these 3 teams, I'm thinking Georgia will have the worst record / lowest RPI and probably won't make the tournament. This is probably our best shot for a win. The other 2 games will be tough, and winning either of them will be a big plus in my eyes.

I think Vermont is going to have a shot another undefeated conference run and might be sniffing the 30 win mark again. This team is experienced and has 4 starters back from last year, when they held their own against Purdue (with Swanigan) in the tournament. They were one of the best defensive teams in the country last year too, so expect that to continue. I'm not optimistic about this one.   

I watched a handful of the Vermont - Richmond game last night.  I wasn't impressed. I agree that they'll probably only have a couple losses on selection sunday, but the American East is garbage.  I think it'll be a tough game, but one that MU should win. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
That makes me feel a little better. I think I had seen rankings just based on points allowed, which is obviously not always the best metric. On the other hand, though, I worry about the pace if UVM is able to slow it down. We're such a heavy volume offense that having fewer possessions could be an issue.

I guess the good news is that Vermont's slow down game and patient offense will have us prepared to play the Badgers.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
I guess the good news is that Vermont's slow down game and patient offense will have us prepared to play the Badgers.

You know how they say that no amount of practice can prepare you for full game speed?

Same holds true for Bucky's 1930s style - no amount of slowing down can prepare you for the boredom....

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
We can beat all 3 teams just need everyone to be committed on the defensive end we all know we can score when ever we want

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
We can beat all 3 teams just need everyone to be committed on the defensive end we all know we can score when ever we want

What leads you to believe that the players aren't "committed?"

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »
Just looked at Vermont

At least it appears they don't have too much size(like most mid majors).

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
Just looked at Vermont

At least it appears they don't have too much size(like most mid majors).
But they have experience, don't turn the ball over, and play good defense. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
But they have experience, don't turn the ball over, and play good defense.

Size is my biggest concern.

Not really expecting our D to force many TOs anyways.

Vermont will be a very tough game. Just good to know they don't have any bruiser who should score at will
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
Not really expecting our D to force many TOs anyways.

We're forcing 14 turnovers a game. Not an elite number certainly but above average.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »
We're forcing 14 turnovers a game. Not an elite number certainly but above average.

It looks like both Elliott and Anim have a nose for the turnover, similar to what JJJ had though not as developed yet. Cain, too. So maybe that already respectable number will go up. Of course, missing a steal can lead to all kinds of troubles, as happened fairly often to JJJ, especially his first 3 years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

AllenCeb

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2017, 02:06:39 AM »
I voted for Trimtone as I look on the optimistic side but digging a little deeper I think Georgia is a tougher test for us that that team west of us. Georgia's length could bother all shooters but Sam, and that might lead to Rowsey playing a little hero ball (which that can doom us quickly if the shots don't fall). I still think we should be able to pull away but double teaming Maten needs to happen early.

As for the game at the Kohl, no one outside of Happ intimidates me. I watched the second half of the Virginia game and gained more optimism for our chances. Virginia would double Happ and shooters were open, but it was clank after clank after clank. I think Badger fans were hoping that Pritzl and King would be the answers, but neither have been good to the start of the season.

I agree, 3-0 is a bit on the optimistic side, but I hope you're right!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:34:23 AM by AllenCeb »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 05:34:15 AM »
I voted 3-0 as I look on the optimistic side but digging a little deeper I think Georgia is a tougher test for us that that team west of us. Georgia's length could bother all shooters but Sam, and that might lead to Rowsey playing a little hero ball (which that can doom us quickly if the shots don't fall). I still think we should be able to pull away but double teaming Maten needs to happen early.

As for the game at the Kohl, no one outside of Happ intimidates me. I watched the second half of the Virginia game and gained more optimism for our chances. Virginia would double Happ and shooters were open, but it was clank after clank after clank. I think Badger fans were hoping that Pritzl and King would be the answers, but neither have been good to the start of the season.

Not that I disagree and hope you are right, but against us those clanks will be swoosh after swoosh after swoosh. It's uncanny how teams get hot when playing us.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
Not that I disagree and hope you are right, but against us those clanks will be swoosh after swoosh after swoosh. It's uncanny how teams get hot when playing us.

Actually they don't.  Marquette has held every opponent except VCU to under their season 3P%, and VCU only shot .02% over.  MU's 3P defense isn't elite but it is top third of all D1 programs.

2P fgs on the other hand....
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »
Actually they don't.  Marquette has held every opponent except VCU to under their season 3P%, and VCU only shot .02% over.  MU's 3P defense isn't elite but it is top third of all D1 programs.

Thanks to the pick and roll that everyone complains about.

2P fgs on the other hand....

And that's the consequence. 

feedback