[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Nonprofit hospital CEO gets 16% raise to $3.4 million  (Read 10349 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Nonprofit hospital CEO gets 16% raise to $3.4 million
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »
So, don't shop at Toys R Us and don't buy their stock.  The board of directors have every right to run it into the ground if they want.

Not if they are under bankruptcy protection. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
More than enough but less than I should.

Read an article the other day that the whole don't talk about your salary stigma is a tool that keeps people from asking to all to be paid what they are worth.  Makes sense but I still don't feel comfortable with it

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7xH7eGFuSYI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7xH7eGFuSYI</a>

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
More than enough but less than I should.

Want to be happier? Subscribe to "More than I need and all that I want". Envy of others and overvaluations of self are common barriers to fulfillment. Be grateful. You are fortunate enough to live in a country where you can choose any path - some provide more monetary compensation, others provide rewards beyond dollars. If you're unhappy with your choice make a new one. "Less than I should" shouldn't (and needn't) apply.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
So, don't shop at Toys R Us and don't buy their stock.  The board of directors have every right to run it into the ground if they want.

Ummm, no, they don't.
The board of directors has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the corporation's and shareholders' best interests.
Running the company into the ground" seems contrary to that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:56:01 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
Ummm, no, they don't.
The board of directors has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the corporation's and shareholders' best interests.

Excellent point, Pakuni. Embarrassed that I didn't make it myself.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
Want to be happier? Subscribe to "More than I need and all that I want". Envy of others and overvaluations of self are common barriers to fulfillment. Be grateful. You are fortunate enough to live in a country where you can choose any path - some provide more monetary compensation, others provide rewards beyond dollars. If you're unhappy with your choice make a new one. "Less than I should" shouldn't (and needn't) apply.

I am very happy with life and my profession. I can be that and also recognize that I am very good at my job but work in a field with very rigid pay scales and for a university that doesn't believe in merit raises.

Though I think your "more than I need and all that I want" mindset would work great for some scoopers when it comes to our basketball program!  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

My long-stated financial goal is to have, simply, "more than enough."

Despite suffering through a little bit of adversity (as many folks do), I am happy to say my wife and I are easily on track to reach that goal.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Nonprofit hospital CEO gets 16% raise to $3.4 mill
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
While you should damn well know better than to drink anything while perusing the Superbar, what kind of tea?

Lord Bergamont Earl Grey
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
The whole salary thing comes down to what you want out of life. I could definitely step much higher in an organization and probably double my already good salary. However with that comes a lot of things I don't want (significantly more travel, having to hobnob with executives, high stress levels with less control, etc). I want to spend time with my family, not be a grouch when I come home and be home at reasonable hours, socialize with people I like not people I have to, have a schedule that allows my wife to work, etc. My current job or something similar allows all that so its plenty good enough for me. I'll change jobs from time to time to get some salary bumps but I don't see any serious moves up the ladder in the near future just cause life is short and I work to live not the other way around.

I've seen the CEOs job, I'm quite confident I could do it but quite frankly I don't want it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »
Ummm, no, they don't.

I stated that poorly.

What I meant to say was that as long as they aren't breaking any laws, it is no one else's business but the shareholders how they choose to run their company in terms of compensating their employees.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »

Though I think your "more than I need and all that I want" mindset would work great for some scoopers when it comes to our basketball program!  ;D

Good point, TAMU, but I honestly don't envy anyone - even Duke fans. But since one of my true passions is MU bball I'd like for us to excel.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
My long-stated financial goal is to have, simply, "more than enough."

Despite suffering through a little bit of adversity (as many folks do), I am happy to say my wife and I are easily on track to reach that goal.

Good for you, Mike, though "enough" is a relative term. Both of my sons have spent time in Thailand (one lived there) and tell me that, by our standards, most folks there have very little - but are the happiest group/culture they've ever encountered.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »
Good for you, Mike, though "enough" is a relative term. Both of my sons have spent time in Thailand (one lived there) and tell me that, by our standards, most folks there have very little - but are the happiest group/culture they've ever encountered.

I also noticed that when I traveled a lot to third world countries, the people, in general, were happier than people here.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/aetnas-outgoing-ceo-set-to-reap-about-500-million-if-cvs-deal-closes-1512480623

Up to $500M possible exit pay for Aetna's CEO for leading an underperforming company to the point that it is attractive to purchase by another entity. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2017, 09:56:48 PM »

Thanks, Lenny. I think I know what enough is for us. We do not have an appetite for mansions, expensive cars, yachts, round-the-world trips, etc. We just like to enjoy living financially independent lives, free from money stress, surrounded by our family and friends. It works for us!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »
I've seen the CEOs job, I'm quite confident I could do it but quite frankly I don't want it.

Having had some great Scoopversations with you over the years, I am quite confident you could do it, too.

I know the value of having a good CEO, but I also think there is some unnecessary mysticism about it. CEOs aren't born. They didn't go to some secret CEO school or join some CEO society. They are just people who have taken the time and put in the hours to get good at their jobs and climb the company ladder.

They aren't "special" the way a great athlete or musician is special. Springsteen or LeBron could learn to be great CEOs, but no matter how hard they try Gates can't lead the E-Street Band and Cuban can't make championship-saving blocked shots.

Some folks who definitely could do it choose not to for the exact reasons you state. Some people are content to have great jobs, great families and relatively stress-free lives. But the idea that those people lack some super-special CEO IQ is ridiculous.

If I ever start a multibillion-dollar corporation, mu03, I'm coming after you to be my CEO!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
Having had some great Scoopversations with you over the years, I am quite confident you could do it, too.

I know the value of having a good CEO, but I also think there is some unnecessary mysticism about it. CEOs aren't born. They didn't go to some secret CEO school or join some CEO society. They are just people who have taken the time and put in the hours to get good at their jobs and climb the company ladder.

They aren't "special" the way a great athlete or musician is special. Springsteen or LeBron could learn to be great CEOs, but no matter how hard they try Gates can't lead the E-Street Band and Cuban can't make championship-saving blocked shots.

Some folks who definitely could do it choose not to for the exact reasons you state. Some people are content to have great jobs, great families and relatively stress-free lives. But the idea that those people lack some super-special CEO IQ is ridiculous.

If I ever start a multibillion-dollar corporation, mu03, I'm coming after you to be my CEO!

Well, idk...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-small-business/wp/2016/09/16/gene-marks-21-percent-of-ceos-are-psychopaths-only-21-percent/?utm_term=.21ec95a71a0c

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »

Yeah, the nature vs nurture thing is interesting when it comes to executive leadership and then when you compare that to sports it gets even more interesting. I think you are born with both a mental and physical "platform" upon which you build your capabilities and those are shaped by your experiences but don't really exceed your "platform". Using this context, I think the sports world is dependent on a strong mental and physical platform(to be great) but a high value physical platform is a must and much rarer than a mental platform. Whereas being a successful executive only requires the mental platform. Put another way, I think a lot more "smart" people are born than "athletes" are. However, in most cases you have to build on the platforms you have through experiences and exposure for you to achieve high levels of success. So while I think more people are born with a strong mental platform, the physical platform is "easier" to build on or at least to access meaning if you have a strong physical platform your much more likely to use that successfully. To be an executive you need exposure to education, leadership, socializing, etc...which isn't uniformly available and when you combine that with need for a high motor/drive there are a lot fewer CEO types than the numbers of strong mental platforms would indicate.

And somewhere in there is the social component, things like a disproportionate number of CEOs are 6 feet or taller...that's a societal thing, not a that guy is smarter than everything.

I get what you are saying about the mysticism of the CEO and this is where I do think some of the millennial mentality is right or at least going in the right direction. The making of organizations and groups more peer based and less hierarchical is critical to getting more agile in the workplace and increasing productivity while reducing the risk in making bad decisions.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
Yeah, the nature vs nurture thing is interesting when it comes to executive leadership and then when you compare that to sports it gets even more interesting. I think you are born with both a mental and physical "platform" upon which you build your capabilities and those are shaped by your experiences but don't really exceed your "platform". Using this context, I think the sports world is dependent on a strong mental and physical platform(to be great) but a high value physical platform is a must and much rarer than a mental platform. Whereas being a successful executive only requires the mental platform. Put another way, I think a lot more "smart" people are born than "athletes" are. However, in most cases you have to build on the platforms you have through experiences and exposure for you to achieve high levels of success. So while I think more people are born with a strong mental platform, the physical platform is "easier" to build on or at least to access meaning if you have a strong physical platform your much more likely to use that successfully. To be an executive you need exposure to education, leadership, socializing, etc...which isn't uniformly available and when you combine that with need for a high motor/drive there are a lot fewer CEO types than the numbers of strong mental platforms would indicate.

And somewhere in there is the social component, things like a disproportionate number of CEOs are 6 feet or taller...that's a societal thing, not a that guy is smarter than everything.

I get what you are saying about the mysticism of the CEO and this is where I do think some of the millennial mentality is right or at least going in the right direction. The making of organizations and groups more peer based and less hierarchical is critical to getting more agile in the workplace and increasing productivity while reducing the risk in making bad decisions.

Interesting take. I also think a lot more smart people are born. There have been numerous studies - and real-life occurrences - demonstrating that how a person is raised from birth to adulthood has a ton to do with achievement.

Plus, that's what Trading Places showed - case closed!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »

You aren't really addressing the fact that a lot of what makes a successful CEO has nothing to do with how smart he or she is.  Some people are natural leaders.  They are the ones who suggest what game to play on the kindergarten playground and everyone ends up agreeing with them.  In most instances, you have to be able to sell, whether it's a product or an idea.  If you have the personality that makes people like you and want to please you, that helps as well.

I have said it before.  I have friends from Marquette who weren't the sharpest knives in the classroom that are running some pretty significant companies.  How those drunk numbskulls managed to accomplish that is beyond me, but I can tell you it wasn't because of their high IQ.
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »

I have said it before.  I have friends from Marquette who weren't the sharpest knives in the classroom that are running some pretty significant companies.  How those drunk numbskulls managed to accomplish that is beyond me, but I can tell you it wasn't because of their high IQ.

Pretty tough review of jsglow here.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
You aren't really addressing the fact that a lot of what makes a successful CEO has nothing to do with how smart he or she is.  Some people are natural leaders.  They are the ones who suggest what game to play on the kindergarten playground and everyone ends up agreeing with them.  In most instances, you have to be able to sell, whether it's a product or an idea.  If you have the personality that makes people like you and want to please you, that helps as well.

I guess I didn't mean literal IQ when I said smart. Social intelligence is a critical component to leadership and certainly one of the main drivers of a successful CEO. In fact, I generally think the highest IQ folks would make some of the worst CEOs.

feedback