collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Skipping bowl game season begins  (Read 7224 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Skipping bowl game season begins
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 08:04:19 AM »
Come on, I'm not talking about the Beef O'Brady Bowl. I'm talking Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Peach, Orange, Citrus, Outback, Holiday, Sun Bowl for starters. I will be on my college hoops as well. I have multiple TV's in my man cave!  ;)

Which is why they should cut the bowls to a reasonable number and add them to the playoff system...so they really mean something, like the NCAA tournament.  Maybe go from 4 teams to 8 or 16.

If they still want other games sponsored by Beef O'Brady (is that a real thing?), call them exhibition games...which is what they really are.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 08:11:59 AM »
Which is why they should cut the bowls to a reasonable number and add them to the playoff system...so they really mean something, like the NCAA tournament.  Maybe go from 4 teams to 8 or 16.

If they still want other games sponsored by Beef O'Brady (is that a real thing?), call them exhibition games...which is what they really are.

The problem with expanding the playoff, especially to 16, is you're asking teams to shorten their seasons, giving up huge revenues from home games and ending non-conference matchups, or you're extending the season another 2+ weeks, essentially asking 18- to 20-year-old kids (on the better teams) to play an NFL schedule.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
The problem with expanding the playoff, especially to 16, is you're asking teams to shorten their seasons, giving up huge revenues from home games and ending non-conference matchups, or you're extending the season another 2+ weeks, essentially asking 18- to 20-year-old kids (on the better teams) to play an NFL schedule.

I also have seen travel mentioned as a potential problem. If you have a 16-team playoff, you're asking fans of the eventual champion to travel to 4 bowl games.

I happen to think this is not a real problem, though. Many fans would do it, just as some do for the various NCAA tournament rounds. Most stadiums would just as likely be as full as they are now for meaningless bowls. And TV drives it all, anyway - and one would think ratings would be higher if the games actually matter.

So yes, length of season/number of games probably is the main factor. Many argue that in the current system, college championship games are de facto national quarterfinals - and that's probably true.

Eventually, the lesser bowls will either go away because their value keeps getting more diminished, or they will just be recognized as what they always have been - mindless, meaningless exhibitions that reward players and some fans with a little trip after a "fine" 6-6 season.

It really doesn't bother me that the Beef O'Brady Bowl exists; I'm simply not ever going to watch one second of it. And even though hundreds of millions will join me in not watching one second of it, it still probably get better ratings than anything else they could air in the time slot. Which is a big reason why they exist and ain't going anywhere.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »

As long as the marketplace for the bowls exist, they will continue.  And they have always been exhibitions except for now the semifinals and finals.

If the playoffs expand, it will be to eight teams and that's about it.  But it will be hard to do that and keep the bowls, which are a nice money maker for the conferences - especially the Power 5.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
How many teams in the D2 playoffs?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
How many teams in the D2 playoffs?

Many.  D3 has 32.  But everything is at home sites and crowds are not great.  And the TV money behind the bowl system is going to keep them in business for awhile. 

And also there is timing.  D3 is in their Final 8 this weekend.  The earliest a larger tournament could start in D1 is December 9. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »
This was a sentiment many expressed last year after Fournette and McCaffrey decided to skip postseason exhibition games. However, there is a lot of time between Jan. 1 and the draft, and they spent months training hard, had great workout for GMs, and showed they were serious about being pros. Each was drafted in the top 10, and each has helped a likely playoff team this season.

I seriously doubt any smart GM will have the concerns you mention - as long as the players follow up their college careers by showing NFL teams how serious they are about being NFL players.

Exactly.  And GMs know exactly why players are doing this. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
So JB, could Marquette go after Haanif's scholarship since he didn't finish the semester?

If they can, should they?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
Skip the Bowl Game, pull their scholarship. Simple as that.

I'm way out of the CFB loop, but aren't the players who skip the bowl games presumably declaring for the draft anyway? If so, how would pulling their scholarship affect them?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
I'm way out of the CFB loop, but aren't the players who skip the bowl games presumably declaring for the draft anyway? If so, how would pulling their scholarship affect them?

They can actually go back and charge them for fall semester if they don't complete the season.  No one would ever do that.  It would be a PR nightmare.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »

They can actually go back and charge them for fall semester if they don't complete the season.  No one would ever do that.  It would be a PR nightmare.

Interesting!

Yeah that would be a long-term recruiting disaster. Not worth it.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »

Exactly.  And GMs know exactly why players are doing this.

Maybe.  But the list of clowns GM's have drafted over the years would beat any sport.  They have clearly proven they are not psychoanalytic experts.

I guess they figure when it is all said and done you have to balance personality and team orientation with football skills and take some risks.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »
Maybe.  But the list of clowns GM's have drafted over the years would beat any sport.  They have clearly proven they are not psychoanalytic experts.

I don't think this is true.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »

They've been extending the season for years anyhow (just like in hoops).  Using Bucky as an example:  In 1970, they played 10 games before bowl season.  In 1990, they played 11.  In 2010, they played 12.  And this year, they'll play 13 before the playoffs start. 

Plus note, with 13 games before the playoffs:  8 of the playoff teams would get to 14 games (the current max for most bowl teams), another 4 would get to 15 (the current max for championship game teams), 2 would get to 16, and the final 2 would get to 17.  So it isn't as though you're asking lots of teams to play an NFL schedule.  You're only asking the teams where most players are en route to the NFL anyway....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:54:21 PM by GooooMarquette »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »

I don't think this is true.

I have trouble believing that there are a higher percentage of first-round busts in the NFL than in MLB.

In MLB, it seems that almost as many 22nd-rounders make it as first-rounders. Probably isn't the case, but it seems like it.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »
I have trouble believing that there are a higher percentage of first-round busts in the NFL than in MLB.

In MLB, it seems that almost as many 22nd-rounders make it as first-rounders. Probably isn't the case, but it seems like it.

Sorry.  Clowns = bad character people.  I was saying NFL GM's seem to weigh character very low on their determination of a draft pick so what does it matter if people are not team players (what I was talking about in earlier post).  Team players are the least of GM's problems in some cases.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 11:11:56 PM »
Sorry.  Clowns = bad character people.  I was saying NFL GM's seem to weigh character very low on their determination of a draft pick so what does it matter if people are not team players (what I was talking about in earlier post).  Team players are the least of GM's problems in some cases.

Ah.

I seriously don't think skipping an exhibition game is a sign of poor character in any way.

I can't speak for others, but McCaffrey seems like a great teammate. Works hard. Works extra. Blocks for others. Always gives others credit for his success. Glad he's a Panther.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
..and I thought Pakuni was skipping Bowl games on TV.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »
..and I thought Pakuni was skipping Bowl games on TV.

No chance. I'm a sucker for this nonsense.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »

NFL HOFers- high draft picks:
http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/hall-of-famers-by-draft-year/

Baseball HOFers -high draft picks
https://baseballhall.org/discover/caught-in-the-draft

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »

I don't think you are correct. Teams do a vast array of psychological testing on potential draftees. It is a big part of the evaluation process.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
It seems to me that most first round "busts" in the NFL are due to injury.  Most turn out to be solid starters, if not All-Pros. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »
I don't think you are correct. Teams do a vast array of psychological testing on potential draftees. It is a big part of the evaluation process.

I am sure it is.  And my guess is a lot of it is ignored otherwise you would not have murderers,  rapists,  spouse abusers,  etc.. drafted so often in the early rounds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
I am sure it is.  And my guess is a lot of it is ignored otherwise you would not have murderers,  rapists,  spouse abusers,  etc.. drafted so often in the early rounds.

Out of curiosity, how many "murderers and rapists" have been drafted in early rounds?  Physical abuse I understand, but it's not like its a commonplace occurrence. 

Jockey

• All American