collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA FB Coaching Carousel  (Read 10787 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: NCAA FB Coaching Carousel
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
Coaches of Iowa St, Duke, NC St, Ok St have all said no to Tennessee. All of them were right to say no, just funny how this job search is going.
From what I understand Mike Reilly is available.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 03:11:52 PM »
From what I understand Mike Reilly is available.

God he was a train wreck, huh? I mean, how can you screw up Nebraska? Good luck to Scott Frost.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
God he was a train wreck, huh? I mean, how can you screw up Nebraska? Good luck to Scott Frost.

Riley didn't screw up Nebraska.  They have been screwed up for awhile.  Replacing Frank Solich with Bill Callahan was when it began.  Not necessarily because Solich was a fantastic coach, but because Callahan tore down a lot of what made Nebraska the program that it is - for instance their walk-on program.  (Which Nebraska alum Barry Alvarez duplicated in Wisconsin.)  If you hear Tom Osbourne talk about why that program was important, you can see how they were successful.  (In a nutshell, walk-ons oftentimes work harder because it is their life-long dream to play football at Nebraska.  That worth-ethic rubs off on the scholarship players from Florida, California, etc.)

They have been decidedly mediocre since that move.  Pelini was a decent coach, but a terrible person.  Riley is a great guy, but way out of his element.

What Frost bring is a tie to the past, but also with a pretty exciting background at places like Oregon.  Home run hire.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »

Cause its not THAT great of a job?  Nebraska isn't exactly a football hotbed and Nebraska's rise and heyday was more about Tom Osborne's greatness and also taking over a good program from Bob Devaney than it was the job.  Frank Solich was just ok once he didn't have Osborne's recruits.  Callahan wasn't successful and while Pelini had success, they were never more than a top 20-25 team.

I'd call it 3rd tier

Also, what Sultan said.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »

Riley didn't screw up Nebraska.  They have been screwed up for awhile.  Replacing Frank Solich with Bill Callahan was when it began.  Not necessarily because Solich was a fantastic coach, but because Callahan tore down a lot of what made Nebraska the program that it is - for instance their walk-on program.  (Which Nebraska alum Barry Alvarez duplicated in Wisconsin.)  If you hear Tom Osbourne talk about why that program was important, you can see how they were successful.  (In a nutshell, walk-ons oftentimes work harder because it is their life-long dream to play football at Nebraska.  That worth-ethic rubs off on the scholarship players from Florida, California, etc.)

They have been decidedly mediocre since that move.  Pelini was a decent coach, but a terrible person.  Riley is a great guy, but way out of his element.

What Frost bring is a tie to the past, but also with a pretty exciting background at places like Oregon.  Home run hire.
Yep.  Solich was mediocre at best but Callahan was the real disaster. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »

That's just brutal.  Really, really funny.  But brutal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »
That's just brutal.  Really, really funny.  But brutal.

He's an pretty boy, and petty, but dammit I love Lane Kiffin.  And I still think he's going to be a very successful HC one day.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2017, 05:44:58 PM »

Agreed - it was a long slide.  My next door neighbor at the time Callahan was hired is a Nebraska season-ticket holder.  He tried to be optimistic about the hire, but was clearly worried.  Turns out he had good reason....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »
And Tennessee just fired their AD.

Clusterf*ck is too nice a word to describe what is happening down in Knoxville.

EDIT:

@Brett_McMurphy
Sources: John Currie was prepared to hire Mike Leach but university officials wouldn’t allow him to do so. Phillip Fulmer has been sabotaging search process in hopes to become Tennessee’s AD
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:22:59 AM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »

EDIT:

@Brett_McMurphy
Sources: John Currie was prepared to hire Mike Leach but university officials wouldn’t allow him to do so. Phillip Fulmer has been sabotaging search process in hopes to become Tennessee’s AD

I can't remember which writer mentioned this, but there's no way Currie unilaterally went rogue for the Schiano hire - it would have had to be approved by regents, Prez, and Haslam and Peyton Manning also okayed it - yet not a peep once it all went sideways. Currie didn't do much of anything right here, but its not like he was in this alone. Now he's the scapegoat.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »

EDIT:

@Brett_McMurphy

Don't know Tennessee football that well, would it be fair to compare Fulmer to Barry Alvarez from Wisconsin?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:15 AM »
It's like the Hindenburg without people dying.  It is kind of glorious to watch from the outside and someday might be turned into an iconic album cover.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
Don't know Tennessee football that well, would it be fair to compare Fulmer to Barry Alvarez from Wisconsin?

I don't think Alvarez undermined his athletic director.  He's been continuously employed by the University since he was hired as football coach.  I think Fulmer has been out of UT for almost a decade.

Fulmer was a good coach who objectively accomplished more than Alvarez, but he took over for a pretty good coach in Johnny Majors.  Alvarez built the program from nothing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »

Speaking of Barry Alverez I heard a pretty solid story about him a couple months ago.  I was in Madison to root on Minnesota's women's volleyball team against the Badgers (I know one of the MN assistants, plus anytime you can root against UW you do it) and went to Dotty Dumpling's Dowry before the match.  As my friend and I got up to leave I noticed Barry Alverez had been sitting at the table behind us and mentioned it to my friend when we got outside.  He goes, "That guy's such an pretty boy.  They have an athletic director's conference every year and one of the years my friend had a booth for his non-profit organization set up and asked me to help him work it for the weekend.  We're sitting at the booth and my friend sees Barry walk by and says, 'I'm going to go talk to Barry.'  I see him go up to Barry, talk for a few minutes, and when he comes back he says, 'unnatural carnal knowledge Barry Alverez.'  I asked him what happened and he said Barry listened to him explain what he was doing and he handed his card over to Barry when he was done talking and Barry said, 'What do you think the chances are that I ever do anything with this thing?' and handed the card back to him."

The dude can do whatever he wants and he's praised no matter what.  It's amazing how UW can ride around on their high horse over the smallest things and then when administrators in their athletic department are drugging people at athletic department parties before Rose Bowls it's just swept under the rug and handled like it's something that happens every day in every athletic department.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Barry is the rain maker and works almost entirely with the football program.  A complete figurehead with a huge ego.  He's not really doing much of the actually work that most ADs do.  His associate ADs are doing pretty much everything.  But the good news is that he let's them do their thing.  Not a micro-manager.

(And yes I do know this.  Not really speculative.)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »
The amount of coin UT is going to spend on this absolute disaster of a coaching search is utterly amazing.

Butch Jones buyout ($8.2 mi)
Schiano settlement (TBD)
Currie buyout ($5.5 mil)
New coach hire (which is increasing by the hour)
New AD hire

It will literally cost UT $20 mil to hire a new football coach, it's eff'in staggering.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2017, 10:07:19 AM »
My guess is that they will somehow say that Currie was for cause and make him sue.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
And when they do finally hire a new coach, the situation he will inherit will make success so much more difficult. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
It's like the Hindenburg without people dying.  It is kind of glorious to watch from the outside and someday might be turned into an iconic album cover.

The 30 for 30 about this is going to be fantastic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2017, 10:12:57 AM »
My guess is that they will end up with Fulmer as the (interim) AD, who will hire Tee Martin as the coach.  Martin is the USC offensive coordinator, and of course former Tennessee QB.  But he is woefully short on experience.  He'll be pretty cheap though.

I guess Currie had an agreement with Mike Leach in place when this whole thing blew up.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »
My guess is that they will end up with Fulmer as the (interim) AD, who will hire Tee Martin as the coach.  Martin is the USC offensive coordinator, and of course former Tennessee QB.  But he is woefully short on experience.  He'll be pretty cheap though.

I guess Currie had an agreement with Mike Leach in place when this whole thing blew up.

What a power-play from Fulmer. Canned from UT 9 years ago, now calling the shots. I agree, Tee Martin seems likely.

Funny thing, I know Leach has baggage, but I think he would have been a nice hire. Especially with how much of a crapshow this search has been.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »

The funny thing is the USC offense this season with "sure fire" and future Brown QB Sam Donaldson was pretty weak. Tee Martin will be a $hitshow of an HC at Tennessee.

After all this, the only power play and real way to fix this is to godfather offer Peyton as the AD
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »
What a power-play from Fulmer. Canned from UT 9 years ago, now calling the shots. I agree, Tee Martin seems likely.

Funny thing, I know Leach has baggage, but I think he would have been a nice hire. Especially with how much of a crapshow this search has been.

Yup. And the news of this leaking out hurts UT's search in the eyes of other candidates far more than the Schiano mess. Every coach can say "hell, I don't have Schiano baggage" but Leach didn't really do anything wrong, and now looks like an pretty boy for having an agreement in principle to leave his current gig.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
I love the NCAA...Ole Miss getting hammered and Hugh Freeze basically coming out of this mess unscathed is hilarious. College football on and off the field is really the best thing going on in sports.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
The funny thing is the USC offense this season with "sure fire" and future Brown QB Sam Donaldson was pretty weak. Tee Martin will be a $hitshow of an HC at Tennessee.

USC's offense has been inconsistent but it still ranks 13th in the country this season (heading into the Pac-12 title game).

feedback