[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA FB Coaching Carousel  (Read 10777 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: NCAA FB Coaching Carousel
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
The answer is Kathleen Kane and Paterno was dead 3 months after the story broke so really wasn't much time to go after him.

The investigation began in 2009.
The first news report was in March 2011.
Mike McQueary testified in 2011 that he told Paterno what he witnessed.
Sandusky was indicted in November 2011.
Paterno died in January 2012.

There was more than enough time to go after Paterno.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
The investigation began in 2009.
The first news report was in March 2011.
Mike McQueary testified in 2011 that he told Paterno what he witnessed.
Sandusky was indicted in November 2011.
Paterno died in January 2012.

There was more than enough time to go after Paterno.

OK great, you were talking about one AG(Corbett) and I was talking about another (Kane). Are we done here?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
OK great, you were talking about one AG(Corbett) and I was talking about another (Kane). Are we done here?

I mean, we can be ... but the AG who oversaw things in 2011 - including McQueary's testimony about Paterno - was Kelly.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »
I mean, we can be ... but the AG who oversaw things in 2011 - including McQueary's testimony about Paterno - was Kelly.

You're right, the actual timeline is Corbett started the investigation, when he left for the Governor's office (which it could be argued was part of his playing footie with the PSU folks on this) in January of 2011 Linda Kelly was appointed in his place...the grand jury testimony was released in November 2011 and Kelly ran point of the investigation until she was replaced by Kathleen Kane in 2013 who took over the efforts to investigate and charge anyone involved. Kathleen Kane was in charge when McQueery testified about Schiano in 2015.

That level of detail really isn't that important unless we want to be really pedantic.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
Another potential candidate rejects Tennessee:

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Source: Iowa State coach Matt Campbell will not be involved in the Tennessee job.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 02:35:25 PM »
Another potential candidate rejects Tennessee:

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Source: Iowa State coach Matt Campbell will not be involved in the Tennessee job.

Can't say I blame him - though I don't think it has anything to do with "how they treated Schiano" as some CFB guys have written. The Schiano situation doesn't really say anything about the job that candidates didn't already know, other than maybe how much of a kept woman the AD is, based on all this Haslam nonsense.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 05:01:22 PM »
Can't say I blame him - though I don't think it has anything to do with "how they treated Schiano" as some CFB guys have written. The Schiano situation doesn't really say anything about the job that candidates didn't already know, other than maybe how much of a kept woman the AD is, based on all this Haslam nonsense.

Yeah I think the Schiano stuff is a symptom of what that job is not the disease itself...it was a "bad" job before the Schiano stuff hit

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »
Agree with mueng03. I think a good comparison for Tennessee football is Illinois basketball. Good programs with some great recent history, but fancy themselves in a league with the Bama/USC/Ohio States of the world (KU/Duke/UNC for the other example).  I think the difference is Tennessee has a FAR more rabid and crazy fan base and football vs basketball, and you get this mess. They are a program that could be in the discussion for a national title with the right pieces but a fan base and booster base that thinks they should be there immediately and every year.

Don’t blame a lot of coaches for saying no thanks. It’s a toxic environment in Knoxville right now

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »
David Cutcliffe turned down the Vols tonight. Who'd have thought we'd see the day when the Duke and Iowa State football jobs were seen as preferable to Tennessee?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »

I think the difference is Tennessee has a FAR more rabid and crazy fan base and football vs basketball, and you get this mess. They are a program that could be in the discussion for a national title with the right pieces but a fan base and booster base that thinks they should be there immediately and every year.

Don’t blame a lot of coaches for saying no thanks. It’s a toxic environment in Knoxville right now

Truer words have never been said. Having grown up in Tennessee (with gazillions of Vol fans everywhere), you have to remember the sports hierarchy at UT:

1) Football
2) ______
3) Spring football
4) Women's basketball
5) Men's basketball

The blank is intentional. Vol fans eat, sleep and breath Vol football. The comment was right on -- they expect to be an Orange Alabama. Every year. No excuses. They make Green Bay Packers fans look downright apathetic.

The singular devotion to football reportedly was one of the reasons why KO left for Northwestern. He had a good thing in Big Orange Country but was always going to be fifth in line for interest and attention in the state. Vol Basketball energized, well, no one! Vol Football and fishing are the only two things that matter in Tennessee. Kinda like deer hunting and Packers football in Wisconsin!

As we used to say where I went to high school, "No fruit sucks like a big orange!"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
David Cutcliffe turned down the Vols tonight. Who'd have thought we'd see the day when the Duke and Iowa State football jobs were seen as preferable to Tennessee?

Cutcliffe's at the point in his career that he's not going to f*ck around with an AD like Currie.  He has enough goodwill built up at Duke to last him a few more seasons.

Really the way they handled this is going to screw up their whole search.  Apparently Currie wouldn't even contact Schiano directly but had one of his assistants call Schiano's agent.

Currie is the guy who ran Frank Martin out of KSU when he was AD there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
Apparently Arizona State's AD was telling boosters this weekend that he was going to make a "blockbuster" head coach hire.  Someone with NFL experience.

Turns out that guy might be Herm Edwards. 

How can ADs be so stupid.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 04:50:03 PM »
Apparently Arizona State's AD was telling boosters this weekend that he was going to make a "blockbuster" head coach hire.  Someone with NFL experience.

These guys are lazy. Why spend time researching options. Much easier to hire a friend of a friend.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 05:02:02 PM »

Dear God.
Sumlin falls into their lap and they're hiring Herm?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Dear God.
Sumlin falls into their lap and they're hiring Herm?

If you can get a coach on the wrong side of 60 who hasn't coached in 10 years and hasn't seen the college ranks in 30 as opposed to the guy 10 years younger who never lost more than 5 games in a year in the SEC, why wouldn't you?

Meanwhile, Mike Gundy may very well be headed to Knoxville.  Which would be incredible given the disaster the last few days have been for UT.  Its like ordering a pizza from Dominos and instead the delivery guy brings you a porterhouse.  He's not Nick Saban but he's got a solid track record without a ton of off field black eyes and has experience dealing with influential big money boosters.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »
If you can get a coach on the wrong side of 60 who hasn't coached in 10 years and hasn't seen the college ranks in 30 as opposed to the guy 10 years younger who never lost more than 5 games in a year in the SEC, why wouldn't you?

Meanwhile, Mike Gundy may very well be headed to Knoxville.  Which would be incredible given the disaster the last few days have been for UT.  Its like ordering a pizza from Dominos and instead the delivery guy brings you a porterhouse.  He's not Nick Saban but he's got a solid track record without a ton of off field black eyes and has experience dealing with influential big money boosters.

I'm not a big Gundy fan (except for that glorious mullet), but he'd probably be the best they could do at this point.
I wouldn't say he's been without off-field black eyes, though.
This was only four years ago:

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
I'm not a big Gundy fan (except for that glorious mullet), but he'd probably be the best they could do at this point.
I wouldn't say he's been without off-field black eyes, though.
This was only four years ago:

I completely forgot about that.  Either way, no matta, cause Gundy isn't leaving.  The subsequent list of candidates is gonna be tremendously underwhelming.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
The "righteous indignation" against Schiano and the lack of it for Gundy speaks volumes about the Tennessee fanbase. Gundy recruited and signed a player knowing he was being investigated for having sex with a 12 year old and was eventually convicted for it. Enabling a pedophile is okay as long as you put wins on the scoreboard I guess.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
The "righteous indignation" against Schiano and the lack of it for Gundy speaks volumes about the Tennessee fanbase. Gundy recruited and signed a player knowing he was being investigated for having sex with a 12 year old and was eventually convicted for it. Enabling a pedophile is okay as long as you put wins on the scoreboard I guess.

I think our society has made it clear that opposition to sexual assaulters/pedophiles is a case-by-case basis.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
This UT thing is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
This UT thing is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
Agreed.
Sometimes, there is karma in the universe.    And sometimes, you do reap what you have sown.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
I think our society has made it clear that opposition to sexual assaulters/pedophiles is a case-by-case basis.

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
The Arizona State hiring Herm Edwards just got more interesting.  Apparently the AD at Arizona State used to be Herm's agent.  Hope they had a long look at potential conflicts of interest.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »
Coaches of Iowa St, Duke, NC St, Ok St have all said no to Tennessee. All of them were right to say no, just funny how this job search is going.