Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?  (Read 11931 times)

barfolomew

• All American
Re: B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
The biggest disappointment for me has been when they joined this new BE, I really and truly thought they'd run through it Memphis style every year.

You thought they'd run through it with cole slaw on top?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »
They were in the Big East, of course. But for a long-time, they weren't and we played them almost every year. The rivalry was so strong between two great teams that people filled our arena -- and their's as well. The rivalry preceded and then passed into the conference.

The last non-conference game between MU and UofL was in 1984.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »

Well done, sir. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »
I don't remember that--who was that player?

McKay?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
McKay transferred on his own. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
The thread topic is basketball Hermie.  Not revenue or football or something else. Stay off the meds Ners!

Whoa whoa, I haven't been too engaged with Scoop recently but...is it common knowledge that Herman Cain is Ners?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »
Whoa whoa, I haven't been too engaged with Scoop recently but...is it common knowledge that Herman Cain is Ners?

He’s not. Ners isn’t that clever.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
I don't remember that--who was that player?

JUCO who got “home sick”...like my mafia member Uncle Rocco who visited Sicily and had a “heart attack”.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »
JUCO who got “home sick”...like my mafia member Uncle Rocco who visited Sicily and had a “heart attack”.

TJ Taylor. Completely forgot about that guy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »

No one here is obviously Ners.  He may be lurking or something.

Chicos/hoop/banny are all clearly him within five posts.  Writing style and talking points are so obvious.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »
No one here is obviously Ners.  He may be lurking or something.

Chicos/hoop/banny are all clearly him within five posts.  Writing style and talking points are so obvious.

Which kinda makes you wonder... why are the mods - who have the actual IP data and tools to confirm this - allowing it?

Has anyone ever seen Spiral and Chico’s in the same room together?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
Has anyone ever seen Spiral and Chico’s in the same room together?

If Hoopaloop and Spiral had a beer in the back yard, would they hear Chicos speak?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
I started this post because of the Pitt dumpster fire article. The greedy jumpers have had firings, arrests and vacated wins.  Most of their basketball programs are a mess. In essence, they have become football schools to the detriment of their basketball programs.

The NBE has had relatively smooth sailing, winning a national championship on the clear. Georgetown was the one school griping but their excuse went away with the Nova win. They woke up and got rid of JT3.  Hell, even DePaul got a new arena.

As to MU, not to rehash, but when you impart extrajudicial academic standards higher than the NCAAs, don’t allow in a NCAA and originally MU cleared player, restrict JUCOs, suspend your coach for a tee shirt given to a recruit a week before he started school, one would expect a program drop in talent.  Buzz deserves a lot of blame but it is certainly shared.  But like the schools who left, that was not the MU way.

That said, the Board made the tough calls and MU is on its way back.  Buzz was a great coach but he also poured gas on the Marquette dumpster fire at the time, of which MUBB was just a part.

What's even more satisfying about this is, IIRC, Pitt is the school that double-crossed the Old BE by torpedoing the ESPN contract and then immediately jumping to the ACC.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
What's even more satisfying about this is, IIRC, Pitt is the school that double-crossed the Old BE by torpedoing the ESPN contract and then immediately jumping to the ACC.

And the President and AD were eventually fired. Jamie Dixon owned NYC recruiting and that dried up with the switch to the ACC.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:18 PM »
TJ Taylor. Completely forgot about that guy.

Ended up playing two seasons for North Texas. Came off the bench his first season and started his second. Averaged 8.4 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game as a senior for a pretty bad Mean Green squad.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:52 AM »
I take a different tactic. We lost out from the BE restructuring because:

1) We lost the second biggest traditional rival we had, Notre Dame. They were good for a sell-out at least once every other year. It created emotion and excitement around our program in a way only Wisconsin does today. Not playing them takes an emotional and financial impact out of our schedule.

2) We lost Loserville from the schedule as well. Even when we were in different conferences, we played Loserville. These games were exciting and almost always sold out. We lost something special when they went elsewhere.

3) Syracuse was always good for a sell-out too.

These games were always big dollar games. We lost financially when we replaced these rivals

I don't think revenue loss shows a significant downgrade...

Attendance:

2017 - 233,169
2015 - 252,858
2013 - 240,530     
2012 - (final OBE year) 242,305
2011 - 242,205

.. so even if you rounded up and used the worst vs. best years.. say OBE was 250k, NBE is 235k ..  The difference is 15,000 paid seats .. of which 100% of them are in the upper deck, so say an average of $15 each .. = $225,000

$225k isn't nothing, but it's a minor revenue hit to MU.

The "reasons" MU is down is that it lost conference prestige through the loss of Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, ND, etc.  It lost prestige because the new NBE schools increased their prestige (and performance) while MU's went down.  It lost because Buzz was a high caliber coach and he left.  It lost due to a downgrade in network (ESPN to FSx). 

(And back to revenue .. anyone recall what BE teams got under ESPN, versus Fox Sports?  Did that rev go up or down?)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
the contract with espn that expired in 2012 paid the non-football teams around $1.5 million a year.  The football schools were paid $3.12 million.

The reports were the next contract offer from espn, which was turned down, would have paid the basketball only school $2.43 million.

Isn't Fox $500 million over 12 years?   If shared equally is about $4.2 annually. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
I am a huge fan of the reorganized Big East.  During this time of Thanksgiving, I could not be more thankful we did not get chained to a conference with Tulane, East Carolina, the Florida twins, and the other Conference USA rejects.  We are in excellent position, as a conference, moving forward, and - perhaps for the first time ever - the Big East can be in a position of selectivity and be proactive if/when it ever decides to expand, and not reactionary.  If SLU elevates its basketball program (big win against Buzz last night), they would be a great fit.  If Dayton rides the change with Anthony Grant, and continue their national level of winning, they would be a great fit too. 

No thanks to UConn.  They can continue the pursuit of power football in a power conference.  They nearly lost to Stony Brook in front of 5k the other night.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »
Just to comment a little on topper.  In my view most of our attendance decline is more attributable to our failure to make the postseason over an extended period, not BEast membership.  Sure losing 'Cuse and Louisville hurts.  But losing South FLA and Rutgers probably helps.

And of course the three teams that were added were all brilliant choices, much of which was driven by Marquette influence.  Remember that GTown was a total a-hole holdout.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
Just to comment a little on topper.  In my view most of our attendance decline is more attributable to our failure to make the postseason over an extended period, not BEast membership.  Sure losing 'Cuse and Louisville hurts.  But losing South FLA and Rutgers probably helps.

And of course the three teams that were added were all brilliant choices, much of which was driven by Marquette influence.  Remember that GTown was a total a-hole holdout.

No disagreement that attendance decline (which, really, is small or even flat) is mostly performance related.

Prestige .. fanaticism/fandom enjoyment ..  are other matters.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
Which kinda makes you wonder... why are the mods - who have the actual IP data and tools to confirm this - allowing it?

It's way harder than you think.  IP addresses bounce around like popcorn.  It's the exception when you find a match and can (relatively) definitively say two accounts are the same.

Pretty sure half you monkeys on typewriters are in a room in Russia somewhere.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
It's way harder than you think.  IP addresses bounce around like popcorn.  It's the exception when you find a match and can (relatively) definitively say two accounts are the same.

Pretty sure half you monkeys on typewriters are in a room in Russia somewhere.

Yeah exactly.  I could make myself appear across the world in seconds.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »
The biggest disappointment for me has been when they joined this new BE, I really and truly thought they'd run through it Memphis style every year.

Fun fact: In the 12 years since, basically, the C-USA "American Division" programs broke away from the National aka "NASCAR Division" programs in 2005, and Conference USA reformed itself as a Southern, less fun version of the MAC, Memphis only won its Conference title (CUSA or AAC) 6 times, one of which (2008) was vacated.

The last three years, Memphis haven't finished higher than 5th in the American.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:46:36 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »

I can't remember, does Memphis BBQ use sauce or a dry rub?

Edit: I Googled it and found Memphis style can be either "wet" (with sauce) or "dry" (rub).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:07:31 PM by Lazar's Headband »