[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?  (Read 11933 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:50 PM »
Looking back, one could argue Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers, UCONN are worse off.  Cuse is neutral but ND is a winner. Cincinnati and WVU a push to a plus.

In the Real Big East, the winners are Nova, Hall, Creighton, Xavier, and Providence. DePaul and Butler is a push to positive. SJU, GTwon and MU are down. 

Three national championships were directly or indirectly tied to the Big East during the breakup and beyond. 

Thoughts

MUBigDance

• All American
Re: B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:06:08 PM »
A couple of years ago there was so much expansion talk. Now I don’t hear anything. Maybe I’m just not listening. But it sure seems the BE has settled in with the 10 we have. No more football havoc. Nice round number 10. decent success. And the SLU, Dayton types are ok but no real demanding case for getting in.

Anybody know rumors of any additions or subtractions coming to the BE?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »
A couple of years ago there was so much expansion talk. Now I don’t hear anything. Maybe I’m just not listening. But it sure seems the BE has settled in with the 10 we have. No more football havoc. Nice round number 10. decent success. And the SLU, Dayton types are ok but no real demanding case for getting in.

Anybody know rumors of any additions or subtractions coming to the BE?

UCONN wants in. They need to park football somewhere.  Conference break ups will occur with TV contract fuses. It may not even be called TV then.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:54:19 PM »
Looking back, one could argue Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers, UCONN are worse off.  Cuse is neutral but ND is a winner. Cincinnati and WVU a push to a plus.

In the Real Big East, the winners are Nova, Hall, Creighton, Xavier, and Providence. DePaul and Butler is a push to positive. SJU, GTwon and MU are down. 

Three national championships were directly or indirectly tied to the Big East during the breakup and beyond. 

Thoughts
Depends on what you define as winners. Everyone who went to the ACC is a winner. Everyone who won a National Championship is a winner. The Big East as a conference is a winner. Everyone going to the Big Ten and Big 12 is a winner. The AAC teams are the big fish in their pond so they have a good shot at tournament every year.

So the break up of the old Big East  yielded a very good outcome for everyone.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:26:21 AM »
Depends on what you define as winners. Everyone who went to the ACC is a winner. Everyone who won a National Championship is a winner. The Big East as a conference is a winner. Everyone going to the Big Ten and Big 12 is a winner. The AAC teams are the big fish in their pond so they have a good shot at tournament every year.

The thread topic is basketball Hermie.  Not revenue or football or something else. Stay off the meds Ners!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:06:07 AM »
I'd say the big losers are uconn and Cincinnati (usf?)

All teams who went ACC are winners

New big East nova Creighton butler providence and Seton hall are clear winners

Marquette and Georgetown are definitely losers at the current moment. Contenders every year in the old big east. Both have lost national spotlight in the New one. Don't play enough big named schools any more. Weren't able to keep national pace like nova.

DePaul is still DePaul. St John's has a bit of an uprising.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:01:46 AM »
Marquette being down in the NBE is coincidental.  Every year that goes by, I miss the OBE less and less.  This conference feels like the best fit.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:17 AM »
Marquette being down in the NBE is coincidental.  Every year that goes by, I miss the OBE less and less. This conference feels like the best fit.

Not to me...they have had basically zero success in the NBE. Coincidental?? going on 4 years now of being down...Once is an accident, two times a mistake, three times a trend..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:26:42 AM »
No my point is that the new conference didn't cause the downturn. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
No my point is that the new conference didn't cause the downturn.

Perhaps, but coincidental or not, one can argue that the conference has been a big benefit to everyone except MU, when you look at it from a perspective of where they were in the old big east as opposed to where they are now. No matter the circumstances, as an MU fan, and given where they were in the Old Big East, their slide into irrelevancy is quite frankly astonishing and embarrassing.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:54:46 AM »
Two words. Buzz Williams

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:03 AM »
Don't know who is better or worse, since it comes down to revenue to those schools, but I for one really miss the rivalry games against Louisville, ND, Cincinnati, UCONN, Cuse and PITT and WVU.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »
Two words. Buzz Williams

I think it's underestimated how Buzz left at the almost perfect time to protect his MU legacy. I think our last 3 years would have been a little better with him, but I don't think it would have been regular Sweet Sixteen trips. I think we would have missed the tourney once or twice.

My big worry for the Big East was if there would be enough teams having success on a national level to keep the conference relevant. I think that's been an overwhelming success and I've really enjoyed this version of the conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »
Two words. Buzz Williams

Well the first year in the conference was his and I don’t think that group of recruits would have helped him out much either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »
Perhaps, but coincidental or not, one can argue that the conference has been a big benefit to everyone except MU, when you look at it from a perspective of where they were in the old big east as opposed to where they are now. No matter the circumstances, as an MU fan, and given where they were in the Old Big East, their slide into irrelevancy is quite frankly astonishing and embarrassing.

Stop making out like we are at a DePaul level. Are you really embarrassed?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 06:59:32 AM »

Well the first year in the conference was his and I don’t think that group of recruits would have helped him out much either.

I think Chili was bolstering your point that the change in conference had nothing to do with MU's men's basketball slide.  It was more due to a slip in recruiting by Buzz at the end and the roster blowup that happened when he left.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:42 AM »
Stop making out like we are at a DePaul level. Are you really embarrassed?

It's more like muguru feels entitled and pissed off.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
Saying the NBE is the reason for our 'irrelevance' is like saying it's cold in the winter because it's basketball season.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
How is St Johns down? They’ve stayed flat. 02-11 no NCAA appearance then one in 15.

Oh really a benefit to everyone? Well then please make the argument it’s been a positive to Georgetown
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:21 AM »

UConn won a men's championship in 2014, yet last year they were under .500 for the first time since Jim Calhoun's first year.  I was shocked to see that in this season's Athlon Sports preview, they didn't rate a full page writeup.  Their women's team is a perennial winner, but no longer faces any real challenges when playing in conference.  How long is that sustrightble?  So, Natty or not, UConn is a loser.

Creighton, Xavier and Butler all got a conference upgrade, so they are winners.  DePaul got taken along by the rest for a free ride, so they are winners revenue wise, if not on the court.

sustrightble?  I guess if you spell it correctly it has that Milwaukee word that has been banned in it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:16:34 AM by 4everCrean »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »
I realize the teams that went to the ACC are winners in terms of money, but I still think the success on the basketball court of the traditional BE schools (Syracuse and Pitt) will be a slow, steady decline.  I think ND and Louisville are conference-proof, though maybe not FBI-proof.  Cincy and UConn also will suffer in the AAC.  USF and Rutgers were rarely any good so they remain the same.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
All said, I LOVE the current BEast.  It is exactly right for all 10 schools. 

It's like when you find that perfect 'chick' and she's willing to go out with you.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 08:20:48 AM »

sustrightble?  I guess if you spell it correctly it has that Milwaukee word that has been banned in it.

I'm not really sure it's a Milwaukee word, so much as it's a word that weirdos on the board used so much it drove the otherwise light-handed mods to do something about it. I've never heard it spoken aloud in my life and only ever encountered it here.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
All said, I LOVE the current BEast.  It is exactly right for all 10 schools. 

It's like when you find that perfect 'chick' and she's willing to go out with you.

+1 (to both)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
I think Chili was bolstering your point that the change in conference had nothing to do with MU's men's basketball slide.  It was more due to a slip in recruiting by Buzz at the end and the roster blowup that happened when he left.

This ^^^^^^^

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
I'd like to see the University of Connecticut get in.  Then I would add Saint Louis as the 12th to balance it out since they have the arch. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
I'm not really sure it's a Milwaukee word, so much as it's a word that weirdos on the board used so much it drove the otherwise light-handed mods to do something about it. I've never heard it spoken aloud in my life and only ever encountered it here.

Same

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
USF and Rutgers were rarely any good so they remain the same.

Honestly, Rutgers was a big winner in all of this.  They continue to suck on the court and on the field, but they get that sweet Big10 money and home games against Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St every year. 

USF is honestly in a pretty similar situation to where they were in the Big East.  No one cares about them nationally, but every once in a while they put together a decent team, and it's easier to compete in a watered-down conference.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them get the call-up with UCF (a better program in hoops and football) to a major conference looking to get into Florida.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »
On the Marquette hoops side of things, we have definitely seen a down-turn, but I think it's mostly because the other schools took advantage of the move and we didnt.  Remember that MU was the only team in the 16-team Big East to never finish below .500 in conference, but a lot of that was because we beat up on the bad teams and then usually held our own against the average teams.  In those days Seton Hall, Rutgers, Depaul, Providence, St. Johns were all good for 1-2 wins per year each, and you only needed 3-4 more to get to .500.

Since the move, Seton Hall and Providence especially have taken advantage of playing in a smaller conference without the big dogs of Cuse, UConn, LVille, etc to improve their recruiting and on-court performance.  We're a little down, but also we've suffered because those programs have risen.  It also doesn't help that none of the new programs have been bottom feeders.  There's only so much room at the top, so Marquette and (especially) Georgetown have been crowded out.  This league is SO much more competitive because it is so much more balanced.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
Rank the schools bu how long their head coach has been there.  That is about how the standings will look, Mu is in a rebuild as are others
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28:38 AM »

Thoughts

Not sure how Cincinnati is a winner.  Sure, they've done fine since moving to the AAC, but I can assure you they're not happy there.  Other than that, I mostly agree.  Butler is a big winner. Sure, they won't make the dance every year because they now play in a real conference, but their talent level has risen considerably since moving and it was a huge win for the program.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
The biggest disappointment for me has been when they joined this new BE, I really and truly thought they'd run through it Memphis style every year. Not because the rest of the league was that bad, but because of where MU was as a program at that time vis a vis the others that joined(or were brought over). I just thought they'd be head and shoulders above everyone else, and like I said, given where MU was as a program at the time, those expectations were not unrealistic at all.

So for them to be where they are now...regardless of the circumstances, is IMO a monumental drop. I was around for the Dukiet days, and the Deane days..and after TC took over the program, I never would have imagined dropping to those depths again, and what I mean by that is no national relevance, missing tournies altogether(even though NIT is irrelevant, it's still postseason). It wasn't that long ago, MU was amongst the top of the NCAA in consecutive NCAA appearances, they were making sweet 16's, Elite 8's, and were a well known(and respected) commodity in NCAA hoops.Now, no one nationally talks about Marquette. They are just another of the 350+ NCAA programs...and irrelevant to most people.

How can you not find that perplexing, embarrassing and downright sad??

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »
The biggest disappointment for me has been when they joined this new BE, I really and truly thought they'd run through it Memphis style every year. Not because the rest of the league was that bad, but because of where MU was as a program at that time vis a vis the others that joined(or were brought over). I just thought they'd be head and shoulders above everyone else, and like I said, given where MU was as a program at the time, those expectations were not unrealistic at all.

So for them to be where they are now...regardless of the circumstances, is IMO a monumental drop. I was around for the Dukiet days, and the Deane days..and after TC took over the program, I never would have imagined dropping to those depths again, and what I mean by that is no national relevance, missing tournies altogether(even though NIT is irrelevant, it's still postseason). It wasn't that long ago, MU was amongst the top of the NCAA in consecutive NCAA appearances, they were making sweet 16's, Elite 8's, and were a well known(and respected) commodity in NCAA hoops.Now, no one nationally talks about Marquette. They are just another of the 350+ NCAA programs...and irrelevant to most people.

The only thing I find perplexing, embarrassing and downright sad is for you....

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
Funny that this topic is brought up as I was thinking of how far Pitt has fallen. Remember they were one of the toughest home courts. Filled up their arena. Paid attendance in the loss to Montana was 3,102. they only sold 25% of the seats. This was a place that was always sold out. Last night in the win over UCSB, 2,685. Wow!

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2017/08/10/pitt-basketball-attendance-petersen-events-center-crowd-size/stories/201708100119
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:53:37 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 12:50:48 PM »
You and everyone else guru.  However, whether it be al, oneil , or crean the last 3 rebuilds we have had did not happen over night.  Sure we would all like it to but it hasnt.  With that being said, i wasnt around for the al rebuild but its my belief that the recruiting under wojo has been excellent , much better than under crean. Creans rebuild fell flat after wade as he did not have enuff other talent and alot of bottom of the barrel recruits.  Oneils recruiting was very good.  I think wojos is even better . I think the team is going to be solid this year and his recruiting n transfers bode well for better years ahead.  Ive said it before .,, that his recruiting has been really good relative to a program that was down and a coach that had never done anything.  Another decent year or two and his message to recruits is more than just a vision and i think we will continue to recruit well and prolly even better

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »
                                                  if only we had a football team hut hut hut
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »

Because every program in history goes through down periods. To think we would be immune from that is just not realistic. Certainly not happy with where we are and hope like hell it will improve. But as much as I care about Marquette basketball it doesn't have the ability to make feel embarrassed or sad...maybe perplexed I guess. But I don't find anything perplexing about having to rebuild after a coaching change.

I guess I am a bit perplexed why it seems like half the board has decided this season is going to be terrible because of one loss to at least a top 20 team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
I take a different tactic. We lost out from the BE restructuring because:

1) We lost the second biggest traditional rival we had, Notre Dame. They were good for a sell-out at least once every other year. It created emotion and excitement around our program in a way only Wisconsin does today. Not playing them takes an emotional and financial impact out of our schedule.

2) We lost Loserville from the schedule as well. Even when we were in different conferences, we played Loserville. These games were exciting and almost always sold out. We lost something special when they went elsewhere.

3) Syracuse was always good for a sell-out too.

These games were always big dollar games. We lost financially when we replaced these rivals

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

The US has changed so much since the 70s

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »

You either had a naive view of the rest of the Big East or an over-inflated sense of who and what we were. 

Our problems and lack of progress related to two issues. The first was the coaching turn-over. We're on our third coach in about 12 years. Elite schools are those that maintain their coach for 20 years or more. Every time we change coaches, our recruits flee and we start from scratch. The Hillbilly was probably the worst, but Crean leaving didn't contribute to the stability and elitism of our program.

The second issue was the problems we had with our coach's handling of our players behaving in a manner that would get you off the Republican ticket in Alabama. We cracked down on some of the practices that our former Hillbilly coach was using to jump-start our program.  In that vein, Coach Wojo is developing our players from freshmen on, identifying our weaknesses and doing a commendable job of recruiting to solve talent problems on our team.

As to Al, he came to us for the 1964-1965 season. Entertaining though his first season might have been, our record was deplorable by latter-Al period standards. Our first breakthrough was in Year 3, when we made the NIT finals and in Year 5, when we were one made free throw away from the Final Four. It took Al some time from the day Brute Force signed with us until Dean the Dream et al. We did not make the Final Four until 1974.  The world was different then and Al, like John Wooden, Dean Smith and several other coaches, was not a bigot who refused to recruit African-American players. Our bee-line to the 'hood made an incredible difference.

We compete against many more teams today for talent and attention than we did between 1964 and 1977, when Al was here. Doesn't mean we can't be elite. Just means for us to matter, it's going be different.

Ultimately, we have to be in a conference. The Big East is good for us and we have some emerging rivals in Butler, Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's to go with traditional foes like Creighton and DePaul.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:21:14 PM by dgies9156 »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »

1) We lost the second biggest traditional rival we had, Notre Dame. They were good for a sell-out at least once every other year. It created emotion and excitement around our program in a way only Wisconsin does today. Not playing them takes an emotional and financial impact out of our schedule.

2) We lost Loserville from the schedule as well. Even when we were in different conferences, we played Loserville. These games were exciting and almost always sold out. We lost something special when they went elsewhere.

These games were always big dollar games. We lost financially when we replaced these rivals

Umm we played louisville because they were in our conference ,  or are you actually taking about 40-50 years ago.  And if so how is this germane to the conversation?

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

You deserve more! (Awww, are you coworkers still making fun of you?)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
I started this post because of the Pitt dumpster fire article. The greedy jumpers have had firings, arrests and vacated wins.  Most of their basketball programs are a mess. In essence, they have become football schools to the detriment of their basketball programs.

The NBE has had relatively smooth sailing, winning a national championship on the clear. Georgetown was the one school griping but their excuse went away with the Nova win. They woke up and got rid of JT3.  Hell, even DePaul got a new arena.

As to MU, not to rehash, but when you impart extrajudicial academic standards higher than the NCAAs, don’t allow in a NCAA and originally MU cleared player, restrict JUCOs, suspend your coach for a tee shirt given to a recruit a week before he started school, one would expect a program drop in talent.  Buzz deserves a lot of blame but it is certainly shared.  But like the schools who left, that was not the MU way.

That said, the Board made the tough calls and MU is on its way back.  Buzz was a great coach but he also poured gas on the Marquette dumpster fire at the time, of which MUBB was just a part.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
As to MU, not to rehash, but when you impart extrajudicial academic standards higher than the NCAAs, don’t allow in a NCAA and originally MU cleared player, restrict JUCOs, suspend your coach for a tee shirt given to a recruit a week before he started school, one would expect a program drop in talent. 

I don't remember that--who was that player?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »

I could be wrong but he may be talking about newbill?
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
The guy from Illinois who set the girl's hair on fire?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »
Umm we played louisville because they were in our conference ,  or are you actually taking about 40-50 years ago.  And if so how is this germane to the conversation?

Yo Sand Knit, I know that. I was following Marquette while you were still loading your diapers -- and probably before judging from the comment.

They were in the Big East, of course. But for a long-time, they weren't and we played them almost every year. The rivalry was so strong between two great teams that people filled our arena -- and their's as well. The rivalry preceded and then passed into the conference.

Now behave or you'll be sent to your room without supper.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
The guy from Illinois who set the girl's hair on fire?

Malek Harris, still mad everybody made fun of me when I broke that news
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
Malek Harris, still mad everybody made fun of me when I broke that news

This made me realize that I hadn't heard anything about this guy in awhile. Apparently he plays for D2 Kentucky Wesleyan now. Averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds a game for them last season. Seems likely that he wouldn't have made much of an impact here.
TAMU

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »
This made me realize that I hadn't heard anything about this guy in awhile. Apparently he plays for D2 Kentucky Wesleyan now. Averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds a game for them last season. Seems likely that he wouldn't have made much of an impact here.

After he was denied by MU, he signed with Kansas St. Played there for one season and was dismissed from the team by Bruce Weber.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
The biggest disappointment for me has been when they joined this new BE, I really and truly thought they'd run through it Memphis style every year.

You thought they'd run through it with cole slaw on top?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »
They were in the Big East, of course. But for a long-time, they weren't and we played them almost every year. The rivalry was so strong between two great teams that people filled our arena -- and their's as well. The rivalry preceded and then passed into the conference.

The last non-conference game between MU and UofL was in 1984.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »

Well done, sir. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »

McKay?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
McKay transferred on his own. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
The thread topic is basketball Hermie.  Not revenue or football or something else. Stay off the meds Ners!

Whoa whoa, I haven't been too engaged with Scoop recently but...is it common knowledge that Herman Cain is Ners?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »
Whoa whoa, I haven't been too engaged with Scoop recently but...is it common knowledge that Herman Cain is Ners?

He’s not. Ners isn’t that clever.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »

JUCO who got “home sick”...like my mafia member Uncle Rocco who visited Sicily and had a “heart attack”.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »
JUCO who got “home sick”...like my mafia member Uncle Rocco who visited Sicily and had a “heart attack”.

TJ Taylor. Completely forgot about that guy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »

No one here is obviously Ners.  He may be lurking or something.

Chicos/hoop/banny are all clearly him within five posts.  Writing style and talking points are so obvious.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »
No one here is obviously Ners.  He may be lurking or something.

Chicos/hoop/banny are all clearly him within five posts.  Writing style and talking points are so obvious.

Which kinda makes you wonder... why are the mods - who have the actual IP data and tools to confirm this - allowing it?

Has anyone ever seen Spiral and Chico’s in the same room together?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
Has anyone ever seen Spiral and Chico’s in the same room together?

If Hoopaloop and Spiral had a beer in the back yard, would they hear Chicos speak?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
I started this post because of the Pitt dumpster fire article. The greedy jumpers have had firings, arrests and vacated wins.  Most of their basketball programs are a mess. In essence, they have become football schools to the detriment of their basketball programs.

The NBE has had relatively smooth sailing, winning a national championship on the clear. Georgetown was the one school griping but their excuse went away with the Nova win. They woke up and got rid of JT3.  Hell, even DePaul got a new arena.

As to MU, not to rehash, but when you impart extrajudicial academic standards higher than the NCAAs, don’t allow in a NCAA and originally MU cleared player, restrict JUCOs, suspend your coach for a tee shirt given to a recruit a week before he started school, one would expect a program drop in talent.  Buzz deserves a lot of blame but it is certainly shared.  But like the schools who left, that was not the MU way.

That said, the Board made the tough calls and MU is on its way back.  Buzz was a great coach but he also poured gas on the Marquette dumpster fire at the time, of which MUBB was just a part.

What's even more satisfying about this is, IIRC, Pitt is the school that double-crossed the Old BE by torpedoing the ESPN contract and then immediately jumping to the ACC.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
What's even more satisfying about this is, IIRC, Pitt is the school that double-crossed the Old BE by torpedoing the ESPN contract and then immediately jumping to the ACC.

And the President and AD were eventually fired. Jamie Dixon owned NYC recruiting and that dried up with the switch to the ACC.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:18 PM »
TJ Taylor. Completely forgot about that guy.

Ended up playing two seasons for North Texas. Came off the bench his first season and started his second. Averaged 8.4 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game as a senior for a pretty bad Mean Green squad.
TAMU

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:52 AM »

I don't think revenue loss shows a significant downgrade...

Attendance:

2017 - 233,169
2015 - 252,858
2013 - 240,530     
2012 - (final OBE year) 242,305
2011 - 242,205

.. so even if you rounded up and used the worst vs. best years.. say OBE was 250k, NBE is 235k ..  The difference is 15,000 paid seats .. of which 100% of them are in the upper deck, so say an average of $15 each .. = $225,000

$225k isn't nothing, but it's a minor revenue hit to MU.

The "reasons" MU is down is that it lost conference prestige through the loss of Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, ND, etc.  It lost prestige because the new NBE schools increased their prestige (and performance) while MU's went down.  It lost because Buzz was a high caliber coach and he left.  It lost due to a downgrade in network (ESPN to FSx). 

(And back to revenue .. anyone recall what BE teams got under ESPN, versus Fox Sports?  Did that rev go up or down?)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
the contract with espn that expired in 2012 paid the non-football teams around $1.5 million a year.  The football schools were paid $3.12 million.

The reports were the next contract offer from espn, which was turned down, would have paid the basketball only school $2.43 million.

Isn't Fox $500 million over 12 years?   If shared equally is about $4.2 annually. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
I am a huge fan of the reorganized Big East.  During this time of Thanksgiving, I could not be more thankful we did not get chained to a conference with Tulane, East Carolina, the Florida twins, and the other Conference USA rejects.  We are in excellent position, as a conference, moving forward, and - perhaps for the first time ever - the Big East can be in a position of selectivity and be proactive if/when it ever decides to expand, and not reactionary.  If SLU elevates its basketball program (big win against Buzz last night), they would be a great fit.  If Dayton rides the change with Anthony Grant, and continue their national level of winning, they would be a great fit too. 

No thanks to UConn.  They can continue the pursuit of power football in a power conference.  They nearly lost to Stony Brook in front of 5k the other night.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »
Just to comment a little on topper.  In my view most of our attendance decline is more attributable to our failure to make the postseason over an extended period, not BEast membership.  Sure losing 'Cuse and Louisville hurts.  But losing South FLA and Rutgers probably helps.

And of course the three teams that were added were all brilliant choices, much of which was driven by Marquette influence.  Remember that GTown was a total a-hole holdout.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
Just to comment a little on topper.  In my view most of our attendance decline is more attributable to our failure to make the postseason over an extended period, not BEast membership.  Sure losing 'Cuse and Louisville hurts.  But losing South FLA and Rutgers probably helps.

And of course the three teams that were added were all brilliant choices, much of which was driven by Marquette influence.  Remember that GTown was a total a-hole holdout.

No disagreement that attendance decline (which, really, is small or even flat) is mostly performance related.

Prestige .. fanaticism/fandom enjoyment ..  are other matters.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
Which kinda makes you wonder... why are the mods - who have the actual IP data and tools to confirm this - allowing it?

It's way harder than you think.  IP addresses bounce around like popcorn.  It's the exception when you find a match and can (relatively) definitively say two accounts are the same.

Pretty sure half you monkeys on typewriters are in a room in Russia somewhere.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
It's way harder than you think.  IP addresses bounce around like popcorn.  It's the exception when you find a match and can (relatively) definitively say two accounts are the same.

Yeah exactly.  I could make myself appear across the world in seconds.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »
The biggest disappointment for me has been when they joined this new BE, I really and truly thought they'd run through it Memphis style every year.

Fun fact: In the 12 years since, basically, the C-USA "American Division" programs broke away from the National aka "NASCAR Division" programs in 2005, and Conference USA reformed itself as a Southern, less fun version of the MAC, Memphis only won its Conference title (CUSA or AAC) 6 times, one of which (2008) was vacated.

The last three years, Memphis haven't finished higher than 5th in the American.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:46:36 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »

I can't remember, does Memphis BBQ use sauce or a dry rub?

Edit: I Googled it and found Memphis style can be either "wet" (with sauce) or "dry" (rub).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:07:31 PM by Lazar's Headband »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »

Yep many ways to get by the IP address
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »

From what I recalled either MU took care of it or NCAA would have , and the coach made it worse by lying.
Goal is National Championship

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
UConn won a men's championship in 2014, yet last year they were under .500 for the first time since Jim Calhoun's first year.  I was shocked to see that in this season's Athlon Sports preview, they didn't rate a full page writeup.  Their women's team is a perennial winner, but no longer faces any real challenges when playing in conference.  How long is that sustrightble?  So, Natty or not, UConn is a loser.

UConn was sub-500 because they lost like 6 players for the season before the season even began.