[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?  (Read 11875 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:50 PM »
Looking back, one could argue Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers, UCONN are worse off.  Cuse is neutral but ND is a winner. Cincinnati and WVU a push to a plus.

In the Real Big East, the winners are Nova, Hall, Creighton, Xavier, and Providence. DePaul and Butler is a push to positive. SJU, GTwon and MU are down. 

Three national championships were directly or indirectly tied to the Big East during the breakup and beyond. 

Thoughts

MUBigDance

• All American
Re: B/A the Big East B-ball break Up?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:06:08 PM »
A couple of years ago there was so much expansion talk. Now I don’t hear anything. Maybe I’m just not listening. But it sure seems the BE has settled in with the 10 we have. No more football havoc. Nice round number 10. decent success. And the SLU, Dayton types are ok but no real demanding case for getting in.

Anybody know rumors of any additions or subtractions coming to the BE?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »
A couple of years ago there was so much expansion talk. Now I don’t hear anything. Maybe I’m just not listening. But it sure seems the BE has settled in with the 10 we have. No more football havoc. Nice round number 10. decent success. And the SLU, Dayton types are ok but no real demanding case for getting in.

Anybody know rumors of any additions or subtractions coming to the BE?

UCONN wants in. They need to park football somewhere.  Conference break ups will occur with TV contract fuses. It may not even be called TV then.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:54:19 PM »
Looking back, one could argue Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers, UCONN are worse off.  Cuse is neutral but ND is a winner. Cincinnati and WVU a push to a plus.

In the Real Big East, the winners are Nova, Hall, Creighton, Xavier, and Providence. DePaul and Butler is a push to positive. SJU, GTwon and MU are down. 

Three national championships were directly or indirectly tied to the Big East during the breakup and beyond. 

Thoughts
Depends on what you define as winners. Everyone who went to the ACC is a winner. Everyone who won a National Championship is a winner. The Big East as a conference is a winner. Everyone going to the Big Ten and Big 12 is a winner. The AAC teams are the big fish in their pond so they have a good shot at tournament every year.

So the break up of the old Big East  yielded a very good outcome for everyone.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:26:21 AM »
Depends on what you define as winners. Everyone who went to the ACC is a winner. Everyone who won a National Championship is a winner. The Big East as a conference is a winner. Everyone going to the Big Ten and Big 12 is a winner. The AAC teams are the big fish in their pond so they have a good shot at tournament every year.

The thread topic is basketball Hermie.  Not revenue or football or something else. Stay off the meds Ners!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:06:07 AM »
I'd say the big losers are uconn and Cincinnati (usf?)

All teams who went ACC are winners

New big East nova Creighton butler providence and Seton hall are clear winners

Marquette and Georgetown are definitely losers at the current moment. Contenders every year in the old big east. Both have lost national spotlight in the New one. Don't play enough big named schools any more. Weren't able to keep national pace like nova.

DePaul is still DePaul. St John's has a bit of an uprising.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:01:46 AM »
Marquette being down in the NBE is coincidental.  Every year that goes by, I miss the OBE less and less.  This conference feels like the best fit.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:17 AM »
Marquette being down in the NBE is coincidental.  Every year that goes by, I miss the OBE less and less. This conference feels like the best fit.

Not to me...they have had basically zero success in the NBE. Coincidental?? going on 4 years now of being down...Once is an accident, two times a mistake, three times a trend..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:26:42 AM »
No my point is that the new conference didn't cause the downturn. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
No my point is that the new conference didn't cause the downturn.

Perhaps, but coincidental or not, one can argue that the conference has been a big benefit to everyone except MU, when you look at it from a perspective of where they were in the old big east as opposed to where they are now. No matter the circumstances, as an MU fan, and given where they were in the Old Big East, their slide into irrelevancy is quite frankly astonishing and embarrassing.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:54:46 AM »
Two words. Buzz Williams

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:03 AM »
Don't know who is better or worse, since it comes down to revenue to those schools, but I for one really miss the rivalry games against Louisville, ND, Cincinnati, UCONN, Cuse and PITT and WVU.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »
Two words. Buzz Williams

I think it's underestimated how Buzz left at the almost perfect time to protect his MU legacy. I think our last 3 years would have been a little better with him, but I don't think it would have been regular Sweet Sixteen trips. I think we would have missed the tourney once or twice.

My big worry for the Big East was if there would be enough teams having success on a national level to keep the conference relevant. I think that's been an overwhelming success and I've really enjoyed this version of the conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »
Two words. Buzz Williams

Well the first year in the conference was his and I don’t think that group of recruits would have helped him out much either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »
Perhaps, but coincidental or not, one can argue that the conference has been a big benefit to everyone except MU, when you look at it from a perspective of where they were in the old big east as opposed to where they are now. No matter the circumstances, as an MU fan, and given where they were in the Old Big East, their slide into irrelevancy is quite frankly astonishing and embarrassing.

Stop making out like we are at a DePaul level. Are you really embarrassed?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 06:59:32 AM »

Well the first year in the conference was his and I don’t think that group of recruits would have helped him out much either.

I think Chili was bolstering your point that the change in conference had nothing to do with MU's men's basketball slide.  It was more due to a slip in recruiting by Buzz at the end and the roster blowup that happened when he left.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:42 AM »
Stop making out like we are at a DePaul level. Are you really embarrassed?

It's more like muguru feels entitled and pissed off.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
Saying the NBE is the reason for our 'irrelevance' is like saying it's cold in the winter because it's basketball season.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
How is St Johns down? They’ve stayed flat. 02-11 no NCAA appearance then one in 15.

Oh really a benefit to everyone? Well then please make the argument it’s been a positive to Georgetown
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:21 AM »

UConn won a men's championship in 2014, yet last year they were under .500 for the first time since Jim Calhoun's first year.  I was shocked to see that in this season's Athlon Sports preview, they didn't rate a full page writeup.  Their women's team is a perennial winner, but no longer faces any real challenges when playing in conference.  How long is that sustrightble?  So, Natty or not, UConn is a loser.

Creighton, Xavier and Butler all got a conference upgrade, so they are winners.  DePaul got taken along by the rest for a free ride, so they are winners revenue wise, if not on the court.

sustrightble?  I guess if you spell it correctly it has that Milwaukee word that has been banned in it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:16:34 AM by 4everCrean »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »
I realize the teams that went to the ACC are winners in terms of money, but I still think the success on the basketball court of the traditional BE schools (Syracuse and Pitt) will be a slow, steady decline.  I think ND and Louisville are conference-proof, though maybe not FBI-proof.  Cincy and UConn also will suffer in the AAC.  USF and Rutgers were rarely any good so they remain the same.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
All said, I LOVE the current BEast.  It is exactly right for all 10 schools. 

It's like when you find that perfect 'chick' and she's willing to go out with you.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 08:20:48 AM »

sustrightble?  I guess if you spell it correctly it has that Milwaukee word that has been banned in it.

I'm not really sure it's a Milwaukee word, so much as it's a word that weirdos on the board used so much it drove the otherwise light-handed mods to do something about it. I've never heard it spoken aloud in my life and only ever encountered it here.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
All said, I LOVE the current BEast.  It is exactly right for all 10 schools. 

It's like when you find that perfect 'chick' and she's willing to go out with you.

+1 (to both)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
I think Chili was bolstering your point that the change in conference had nothing to do with MU's men's basketball slide.  It was more due to a slip in recruiting by Buzz at the end and the roster blowup that happened when he left.

This ^^^^^^^