[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Debbie downer time  (Read 4248 times)

tower912

• All American
Debbie downer time
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
Marquette needs to be actively recruiting a PG for next year.    Although getting a freshman AND a graduate transfer might be better.   Yes, I understand all our scholarships are currently accounted for.    Do it any way. 

I fear that Markus may have the same effect on MU that Yogi Ferrell had at IU.    Crean was never able to recruit another decent PG while Ferrell was there.   It came back and bit him once Yogi graduated.    I worry that Wojo will be unable to land another alpha guard, either PG or SG, while Markus is here.   And by 'alpha', I mean instant impact.    I think Elliot will be ok, but he is more of a 4 year guy than an impact guard.   
   If Eke wasn't going to see minutes because of Heldt and TJ, how far does he have to go to be ready?
   19.5 fouls per 40 minutes.   Theo.   Wow. 
   7-27 from anybody not named Howard or Rowsey. 
   Cain can't get run in a game where MU is being manhandled?    I can only hope he is sick and will be better by the time the team gets to Maui. 
    Expecting Froling to be a 'savior' isn't fair.   A year ago, he was the 7th man for SMU as a frosh.   Expecting him to magically turn the team into a contender is as unrealistic as expecting 4 freshman from outside the top 100 nationally to have instant positive impacts.   
   Bottom line:   Now everybody knows how far they have to go to be a contender.    Let us hope that attitudes are properly adjusted and efforts are redoubled. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
Re: Debbie downer time
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »
Not sure why Markus being here should stop an elite PG from wanting to play here.

If I'm an elite PG, one who likes getting assists, I'm LOVING that I can penetrate and kick to a guy who hits 50% of his 3s!!!

Markus didn't need the ball in his hands constantly to score last night; Rowsey had the ball most of the time.

I do agree we could use at least a Cadougan-level PG next season. Note I said "at least."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
I'm all in on a grad transfer point guard. We have the blueprint. Show them how Markus can play with Rowsey. Use the pitch that got us a visit with Quentin Grimes. Then focus on a freshman for 2019. DJ Carton would be great. Get a one-year senior to bridge the gap, then bring in someone that can play their freshman year with senior Markus before getting the reins as a sophomore (alongside another combo in Elliott).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
We played against a Purdue team that had two good players who were 7-3 and 7-2 , they also had athletic players and they played the game at a very fast pace. It was not an embarrassing loss.

I am very confident in our team and the players we have in the pipeline.  Greg Elliot is going to be a very high quality guard for us. He will be our point guard next year.

As for current point guard, I thought Rowsey did an excellent job. He had multiple responsibilities of creating and scoring and did well at both.

The key to o our success as team is going to be 25 quality minutes from Matt Heldt and solid Big East level play from Haani and Sacar.

Each game is a building block.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:18:45 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
I'm all in on a grad transfer point guard. We have the blueprint. Show them how Markus can play with Rowsey. Use the pitch that got us a visit with Quentin Grimes. Then focus on a freshman for 2019. DJ Carton would be great. Get a one-year senior to bridge the gap, then bring in someone that can play their freshman year with senior Markus before getting the reins as a sophomore (alongside another combo in Elliott).

Completely agree

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
We played against a Purdue team that had two good players who were 7-3 and 7-2 was they also had athletic players and they played the game at a very fast pace. It was not an embarrassing loss.

I am very confident in our team and the players we have in the pipeline.  Greg Elliot is going to be a very high quality guard for us. He will be our point guard next year.

As for current point guard, I thought Rowsey did an excellent job. He had multiple responsibilities of creating and scoring and did well at both.

The key to o our success as team is going to be 25 quality minutes from Matt Heldt and sold Big East level play from Haani and Sacar.

Oh... dear god... Elliot is your new Dawson isn't he?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
Oh... dear god... Elliot is your new Dawson isn't he?
Dawson is currently in the G League with the Greensboro Swarm , so the parable that he could not play is false.

Elliot is a tremendous talent,with length  and quickness. Every time he gets on the court he flashes some of his promise. He is going to earn the confidence of the coaches pretty quickly.

The kid is tough too, as he is playing through a very painful injury.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
Dawson is currently in the G League with the Greensboro Swarm , so the parable that he could not play is false.

The parable wasn't that he couldn't play, it was that he wasn't a high-major player. His 84.9 ORtg as a freshman coupled with his inability to get on the court as a sophomore here supported that. His mediocre offensive play throughout college (peak ORtg was 97.0 as a junior at low-major Liberty) supported that. His difficulty cracking a G-League roster (12 minutes through 4 games with 2 DNPs) further supports that.

Dawson seemed like a good kid, was saddled with overly outspoken family members on Marquette-related social media that impeded fan impressions of him, and was simply better suited for a low-major D1 program like Liberty than he was at a high-major like Marquette.

I think it's safe to say his story here has been catalogued ad nauseum and it's well past time to set him squarely in the history books. Great game at Georgetown, we'll remember him fondly for that, and otherwise better suited where he ended up, as his play at Liberty and with the Swarm thus far would indicate.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
It's only been two games and both Howard and Elliott are nursing nagging injuries. I am not ready to declare that we need a new PG next season quite yet. Of course I'm open to the idea if the right player emerges.

Last season, I don't think I saw Rowsey drive and kick once. I've seen it happen several times in our first two games. PG skills can be developed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
We played against a Purdue team that had two good players who were 7-3 and 7-2 , they also had athletic players and they played the game at a very fast pace. It was not an embarrassing loss.

The key to o our success as team is going to be 25 quality minutes from Matt Heldt and solid Big East level play from Haani and Sacar.

For the first time in a very long time, I agree with MUFNY/Herman.
It was one game against two towering guys...

connie

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
Why wouldn't we be trying to over-recruit (recruit over?) every player?  I guess I agree and don't see the problem.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
Why wouldn't we be trying to over-recruit (recruit over?) every player?  I guess I agree and don't see the problem.
not really about recruiting over anyone.  More about recruiting the best players you can.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »

connie

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »
not really about recruiting over anyone.  More about recruiting the best players you can.
I'm more clueless than usual today.  I don't see the difference.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

source?

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:50 PM »
Eh, nm. Don't care that much

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
Speaking of Debbie Downer...thank god we aren't Pitt. Things fell hard and fast there.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
Need more switchables

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »
Kneed moore 5 stars, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
Need more muscle and weight to compete.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
The parable wasn't that he couldn't play, it was that he wasn't a high-major player. His 84.9 ORtg as a freshman coupled with his inability to get on the court as a sophomore here supported that. His mediocre offensive play throughout college (peak ORtg was 97.0 as a junior at low-major Liberty) supported that. His difficulty cracking a G-League roster (12 minutes through 4 games with 2 DNPs) further supports that.

Dawson seemed like a good kid, was saddled with overly outspoken family members on Marquette-related social media that impeded fan impressions of him, and was simply better suited for a low-major D1 program like Liberty than he was at a high-major like Marquette.

I think it's safe to say his story here has been catalogued ad nauseum and it's well past time to set him squarely in the history books. Great game at Georgetown, we'll remember him fondly for that, and otherwise better suited where he ended up, as his play at Liberty and with the Swarm thus far would indicate.

Brew, really like what you have to say but geez this has got to be the longest most thorough posts on Dawson! Ad nauseum on steroids. I agree with you though, Ellenson Family Reunion didn’t need to bring it up. Cain was making a different point.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »
And to comment on this post, how do you “find” a transfer? Does it have to be manna from heaven or are there candidates out there? Maybe fro schools that can a coach or something?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:30:10 PM by MUBigDance »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
And to comment on this post, how do you “find” a transfer? Does it have to be manna from heaven or are their candidates out there? Maybe fro schools that can a coach or something?

If you're talking about grad transfers, it comes down to research. As a complete amateur, I've found three potential grad transfers at the point that I like. Ahmaad Rorie, a former Oregon player who is now a redshirt junior at Montana is probably my favorite of the three. Deshon Taylor is a Fresno State redshirt junior guard that only scored 4 at the BC last year, but saw his usage increase at the end of the season and is now on an 18-game streak where he scored at least 13 points. And Tayler Persons from Ball State is a great distributor that can also score at all three levels, and at 6'3", 220 has the size to be a more physical perimeter defender.

I'm sure the staff is even better at locating kids, but once you identify potential grad transfers, you can start preparing for the event they become available and are interested. Rorie and Taylor are both West Coast kids, so maybe Stan has some connections.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »

Last night was another case of men against boys, a scenario that has become familiar over the last few years.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »
Very nice research Brew. Sounds like potential. I’m getting an idea of how a large coaching staff might fill their time besides X’s and O’s. Lots of work.