[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Purdue game thread  (Read 15923 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Purdue game thread
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
TAMU I agree but I think Wojo went double team to try to avoid Theo and Heldt from fouling out

From the years of watching wojo he's had tons of success not having his big men foul out......

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »
54 second half points

And what seemed like an embarrassingly high efg% for the Boilers in Half #2.  Very reminiscent of last year.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »
From the years of watching wojo he's had tons of success not having his big men foul out......
Those bigs are who they are. I expect Theo to learn not to foul at the rate he does. Heldt is basically out matched with decent centers. That is why Wojo recruited who he did if you read my post. But I guess you just want to be like Dodds...............
Goal is National Championship

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:24 PM »
Give me an F’NG BREAK. I rush back from the meeting, tune into the rest of the game (knew the score was close, didn’t want to start from the beginning), look up the game thread and it is F’NG UNREADABLE because all of you so-called fans have decided to sit in your armchairs on your keyboards trashing some fine 18-22-year-old because they do not meet your definition of basketball perfection. Why do you even watch the games if they make you so miserable?

This serves as a great reminder to me to stay out of the game thread from now on. Maybe I can convince the mods to give me the double secret password for the site where actual fans post.

I think your bra is on too tight!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2017, 11:15:10 PM »
Thought we did ok.  The whole double team or not was an issue.  For those calling gor tge double now see what a well balanced team of seniors fo to a double team.  Yet haas is a great big man.  Thats why good teams have bslance.
Thought our defense was good.  Purdue just bigger and mote experienced, they start 4 seniors from a S16 team.
Hauser needs to step up his aggressiveness on offense, it cant just be rowsey n howard.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2017, 04:59:33 AM »
Thought we did ok.  The whole double team or not was an issue.  For those calling gor tge double now see what a well balanced team of seniors fo to a double team.  Yet haas is a great big man.  Thats why good teams have bslance.
Thought our defense was good.  Purdue just bigger and mote experienced, they start 4 seniors from a S16 team.
Hauser needs to step up his aggressiveness on offense, it cant just be rowsey n howard.

Agree 100%.  I thought we played well against a really good team who will most likely win the Big Ten.  It was a humbling but learning experience for our young players. 

The key word is "young."  We are very talented and will get better as the season progresses.   We will win 20+ games this year, but, will sustain a few bumps and bruises along the way.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:19 AM »
Paint Touches tweeted that we allowed points on 13 straight possessions over a 7 minute span. If that's the benchmark for improved defense, yikes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »
Paint Touches tweeted that we allowed points on 13 straight possessions over a 7 minute span. If that's the benchmark for improved defense, yikes.

Tale of two halves. Defense was improved in the first half. Offense was like last year's in 2nd. Shows our potential on both sides. Put it all together for an entire game and we win last night.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
Tale of two halves. Defense was improved in the first half. Offense was like last year's in 2nd. Shows our potential on both sides. Put it all together for an entire game and we win last night.

Color me unconvinced. Purdue's 8 turnovers and the 2 blocks (Elliott, Rowsey) that looked more like steals were the only reason we were close.

If I'm calculating correctly, Purdue shot 51.7 eFG% yesterday in the first half. There's not much correlation between turnovers and defensive efficiency, so while it worked for us yesterday in the first, I'm not at all convinced that will be a sustainable plan in the long term.

Now 51.7 is better than the 52.2 we allowed for the season last year (still below average), but not by much. And obviously, the 70.4 we allowed in the second was disastrous. And much of that first half was with Haas and Edwards sidelined with foul trouble.

I think at this point, the jury on the defense is at best still out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:39 AM »
Agree 100%.  I thought we played well against a really good team who will most likely win the Big Ten.  It was a humbling but learning experience for our young players. 

The key word is "young."  We are very talented and will get better as the season progresses.   We will win 20+ games this year, but, will sustain a few bumps and bruises along the way.

They will not win the Big 10.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
Do you guys think when Wojo finally has all his own players, he'll be better able to implement his defensive strategies and everything will be fine?

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »

Why not?  It is either going to be MSU or Purdue.  NO one else close to them.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Do you guys think when Wojo finally has all his own players, he'll be better able to implement his defensive strategies and everything will be fine?

He has all of his own players. Not a single buzz Era man is left.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
He has all of his own players. Not a single buzz Era man is left.

I think there was teal implied.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
I think there was teal implied.

Well fuk me  :-[

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
Color me unconvinced. Purdue's 8 turnovers and the 2 blocks (Elliott, Rowsey) that looked more like steals were the only reason we were close.

If I'm calculating correctly, Purdue shot 51.7 eFG% yesterday in the first half. There's not much correlation between turnovers and defensive efficiency, so while it worked for us yesterday in the first, I'm not at all convinced that will be a sustainable plan in the long term.

Now 51.7 is better than the 52.2 we allowed for the season last year (still below average), but not by much. And obviously, the 70.4 we allowed in the second was disastrous. And much of that first half was with Haas and Edwards sidelined with foul trouble.

I think at this point, the jury on the defense is at best still out.

I'm an optimist. But I'm with you on this one. I find nothing encouraging about giving up 86 points (including 54 in the second half) and losing by 15 at home. Just the opposite — I find it extremely concerning. That's putting it mildly. Last season, only one team (Georgetown) defeated us by 15+ at home.

That doesn't mean we can't or won't get better. I simply haven't seen any evidence on the court yet.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
I'm an optimist. But I'm with you on this one. I find nothing encouraging about giving up 86 points (including 54 in the second half) and losing by 15 at home. Just the opposite — I find it extremely concerning. That's putting it mildly. Last season, only one team (Georgetown) defeated us by 15+ at home.

That doesn't mean we can't or won't get better. I simply haven't seen any evidence on the court yet.
Actually, the loss to G-Town was at their place.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Actually, the loss to G-Town was at their place.

And it wasn't our only 15+ point loss of the season, we also lost to Michigan on a neutral court by 18.

Our last home losses by 15+ were Seton Hall (20 points in December 2015) and Iowa (28 in November 2015).

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »
And it wasn't our only 15+ point loss of the season, we also lost to Michigan on a neutral court by 18.

Our last home losses by 15+ were Seton Hall (20 points in December 2015) and Iowa (28 in November 2015).

My mistake. Not sure how I got that mixed up, but thanks for the correction. Even worse.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »

Time will tell.  I believe Purdue is the best team in the Big Ten.

feedback