[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Heldt>Fisher  (Read 24168 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Heldt>Fisher
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
Not on par with wilt or kareem
Just better than fischer which is not that hard

Fischer isn't on the team anymore...so just STFU about it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »
I think how Wojo uses his bigs, always back to the basket, makes it very hard on the center to score against a good big man.  Luke was not strong enough.  Need a center that can play high and low (Froling?).  Heldt will have a difficult time against other bigs.  Just remember the South Carolina game no factor.  It would be nice to
pull Haas out of the middle but in this offense it will not happen.  Like to have center face-up and hit a free throw jumper.  It might be better to play Hauser at the center
position to see how they guard him?  Can he defend the big guy, not sure.

Luke scored plenty.   Drop offs, put backs, jump hooks.  Hauser has no chance against Haas.  You roll with the team you have.  Heldt is improved at guarding without fouling.   Theo needs to learn. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »
Matt Heldt is one of the reasons I am confident about our prospects this season. I believe he can give us 25 Big East level quality minutes a game.   Last night was a good first step. The next game is going to be tough going against Isaac Haas.  I believe Matt is up to the challenge and will give some vigorous resistance defensively,  although it is likely he will foul out in the process.  If our shooters can stretch the spacing, Matt maybe to pick up a few junk baskets here and there and on the offensive end.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
Did Luke bang your daughter or what Sand Knit?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 03:47:35 PM »
Let's just stop with this ridiculousness.  Heldt had a very nice game, both offensively and defensively last night and his growth as a ballplayer over these last two years has been outstanding.  Remember all those moving screens on offense when he was a Frosh?  It's a testament to how hard he's worked and how much he's tried to implement what his coaches have taught.  Dare I say that no MU player in recent memory has improved that much over two seasons.  But before we anoint him the second coming of Wilt or Kareem, let's see what he does against a Top 20 team on Tuesday, mkay.

thank you!  matthew has and is progressing very nicely.  i lose no confidence when he enters the line up.  fundamentally very sound

apples and fire hydrants though
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:49:10 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
Did Luke bang your daughter or what Sand Knit?

Nope just nice to see us play 5 v 5 defense again.  I also like that howard is not starting, im a defense first guy and i think Fischer really really hurt the team .  Team turned the corner when heldt started getting his minutes yet the board said fischer was better due to offensive stats.  Was glad wojo finally took a defense first mentslity it was the turning point of our season.  Watching heldt play defense last night n finish rebounds n offensive chances was just a reminder of how bad luke was .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:52:48 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
Saying Heldt was better for the team,  and saying he was better than Luke are two different things. Luke was unquestionably the better overall player but Heldt was unquestionably the better defender. You could make an arguement for Heldt without tearing down Luke and many would agree with you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »
It's weird to type this, but there is a chance Heldt could wind up more productive.  For one thing, his expectations are lower.  If Heldt were to avg 8.0 pts and 8.0 rebs, we'd be ecstatic.  His job is to be a gritty hustling big that plays D and crashes the boards.  Fischer was supposed to be an impact player and a featured part of the offense.  As far as we know, Heldt's shoulder is sound. 

We haven't had a chance to see Heldt make moves or play the post, but don't be surprised if he gets plenty of 2nd chance points.  Fischer had an assortment of post moves, and probably dominates gyms and games of H-O-R-S-E by calling "baby-hook off the glass," but unfortunately the fancy shots never seemed to fall in games

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
Fischer isn't on the team anymore...so just STFU about it.

kinda harsh, enn'a?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 05:06:10 PM »
kinda harsh, enn'a?

No.  He's classless and clueless.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
It's weird to type this, but there is a chance Heldt could wind up more productive.  For one thing, his expectations are lower.  If Heldt were to avg 8.0 pts and 8.0 rebs, we'd be ecstatic.  His job is to be a gritty hustling big that plays D and crashes the boards.  Fischer was supposed to be an impact player and a featured part of the offense.  As far as we know, Heldt's shoulder is sound. 

We haven't had a chance to see Heldt make moves or play the post, but don't be surprised if he gets plenty of 2nd chance points.  Fischer had an assortment of post moves, and probably dominates gyms and games of H-O-R-S-E by calling "baby-hook off the glass," but unfortunately the fancy shots never seemed to fall in games

Actually fischer had one post move the jump hook.  Never developed a drop stop or an up and under.  The first two post moves taught in junior high.  Unsure if that was a result of bad coaching all the way thru or just a lack of confidence in anything else  forced him to always use the same move. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »
It never ceases to amaze how someone like Sand knit (or Heisy or Mufiny) can start a thread that under no circumstances deserves ANY response whatsoever, yet Scoop bites every time and fills pages either seriously discussing the issue or telling the poster he is out of line.  Did your mother never tell you that they are just trying to get a rise out of you? Ignore the trolls and they might go away.

Just for once, I’d Love to see a topic like this posted and have everyone just let it hang.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »
It never ceases to amaze how someone like Sand knit (or Heisy or Mufiny) can start a thread that under no circumstances deserves ANY response whatsoever, yet Scoop bites every time and fills pages either seriously discussing the issue or telling the poster he is out of line.  Did your mother never tell you that they are just trying to get a rise out of you? Ignore the trolls and they might go away.

Just for once, I’d Love to see a topic like this posted and have everyone just let it hang.

Amen!

I can't understand why people would argue with such baseless, stupid comments.

And to the guy who thinks Heldt will average 8 rebounds a game - ain't gonna happen.

And that Howard should not be a starter? Have these people ever watched basketball?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »

You were probably one of the cool kids in junior high school.
            ---Al McGuire

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »
And your the guy that big daddy called out for being full of sh1t, right?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2017, 09:38:39 PM »
And your the guy that big daddy called out for being full of sh1t, right?
Up your game. Your a Marquette PHD, you can come up with something more clever and insightful.
            ---Al McGuire

fjm

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
Up your game. Your a Marquette PHD, you can come up with something more clever and insightful.

Can't say him coming up with something more clever or insightful is necessary at this point. You've been discredited about 90% of the time you post concerning players/recruits.

You're a great guy. You don't need the approval of us on a board. You don't need to continue to make stuff up, it's ok to be someone not in the know about MU basketball. I bet you're VERY in the know about your job and that's awesome enough dude!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2017, 10:09:10 PM »
  mom...he's looking at me...stop, no you stop, you're mental, no you're mental...mom...he touched me again, no i didn't, yes you did.....wait until your father comes home...oh shhhhhhh....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »
It never ceases to amaze how someone like Sand knit (or Heisy or Mufiny) can start a thread that under no circumstances deserves ANY response whatsoever, yet Scoop bites every time and fills pages either seriously discussing the issue or telling the poster he is out of line. 

Beat me to it. Well said.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:47 PM »
  mom...he's looking at me...stop, no you stop, you're mental, no you're mental...mom...he touched me again, no i didn't, yes you did.....wait until your father comes home...oh shhhhhhh....

99.99% of your posts I have no clue what the heck you’re talking about. And I think that’s probably a good thing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2017, 06:42:02 AM »
It's not a game...you came on this site and posted some B.S. that really would make our current players look bad if true. It was pure B.S. and for that you should take a hike. Not sure why you have to try and act like you have an inside scoop...but don't do It at the expense of making MU players look bad.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 06:48:00 AM »
Can't say him coming up with something more clever or insightful is necessary at this point. You've been discredited about 90% of the time you post concerning players/recruits.

You're a great guy. You don't need the approval of us on a board. You don't need to continue to make stuff up, it's ok to be someone not in the know about MU basketball. I bet you're VERY in the know about your job and that's awesome enough dude!

You took the classy route...probably should do so myself.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Is this an example of the vigorous resistance defensively you were referencing earlier?
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »
The disappointment in Luke is that he had the makings of being a dominant collegiate center.  I watched him play his first game in an MU uniform and came away thinking we are going to have the best collegiate center for the next 2 plus years.  He never dominated became more and more frustrating to watch.

Heldt in his first year looked like a D2 player at best.  He had a goofy running style and looked a little uncoordinated and out of place.  There has been huge improvement in his all around game and he ended up starting at the end of the year over Luke. 

On looks and skillset alone Luke is the no brainer of a pick but I would take Heldt over Luke.  He knows his limitations and is the ultimate team player.  He will struggle against very good bigs this year but so did Luke.  I like that Heldt will give it his all on defense, will clean up around the bucket and actually will knock down free throws. 

My images of Luke are he couldn't finish strong consistently even though he was the biggest and strongest on the court, was foul prone and had a hard time knocking down free throws.  Maybe the injuries contributed to his lack of development but he leans towards a bust as Heldt leans towards a pleasant surprise.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
99.99% of your posts I have no clue what the heck you’re talking about. And I think that’s probably a good thing.

mine was a synopsis of posts #36 thru #41 or so. i guess you didn't catch that bicker-fest either.  brought back memories of the long car rides with my 3 brothers in the back seat of our '65 rambler station wagon.  we used to battle for the right rear passenger side as it was rusted thru and you could see the road pass by under the floor mat. we got pretty good at ducking quickly as my dad's backhands were legendary...oh, look at the pretty colored stars ;) 

sorry you're missing out on some really good stuff.  i'll try to knock 'er down a few levels