[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Heldt>Fisher  (Read 24119 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Heldt>Fisher
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:47 PM »
Duane and JJJ were better defenders than Katie.

Duane's defense was regularly overrated. In 139 defensive possessions, Duane allowed 125 points for a ppp allowed of .899. That ranked in the 37th percentile of Division 1 players.

In 185 defensive possessions, Katin allowed 151 points for a ppp allowed of .816. That ranked in the 63rd percentile of all Division 1 players. Not only that, but he was elite when facing a defender 1 on 1. In 21 possessions where a defender tried to take Katin in isolation, he only allowed 5 points. His ppp allowed of .238 in isolation situations was in the 99th percentile of all D1 players.

Now JJJ is an interesting case. Overall he allowed .857 points per possession which was in the 50th percentile. But his on ball defense was actually elite. He was great at defending the pick and roll, covering players off screens, and was one of the best at defending isolation. In 20 possessions where a defender tried to take JJJ in isolation, he only allowed 2 points. He was in the 100th percentile in this category. Where JJJ struggled was guarding jumpshooters. In 68 possessions where JJJ defended a jumpshot, he allowed 94 points. That means he allowed an incredible 1.382 ppp on jumpshots. That's historically bad. It put him in the bottom 2% of all Division 1 players. I've puzzled about how such a good on ball defender could be so bad at defending jumpshots. It has to be a combination of both bad luck and some lapse in his defensive abilities. Honestly, I think he would check out sometimes and not keep his hands up. The play that I remember from last season is Jalen Lindsey burying a three in his face right after Wojo emphasized staying in Lindsey's jersey all night during the time out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »
How is it even an argument? I don't see Heldt surpassing Luke's career by any stretch of the imagination.  Too much of the basis surrounding Luke's game was due to failed expectations.  While he was good, people expected more. Maybe he was a bit "soft," didn't rebound too well and fouled too often but overall Luke is missed and will be missed the entire season.

I like Matty and his hustle but some of our success this season hinges upon the productivity from Froling or quick development from Theo.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
8 rebounds n more solid defense by Mr. Heldt!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
Why even both responding? He's either trolling, an idiot or both.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
THEO>Heldt - if he can just stop the illegal picks!!!!
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
THEO>Heldt - if he can just stop the illegal picks!!!! We need good minutes from him with our small guards.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
I'm about to say something political to shut this thread down.

Don't make me do it, RockY!
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »
With the wet fisch out there VCU devastates us with the pick n roll.  Heldts perimeter defense was the key.  Did we hold D1 teams  to 44% shooting n out rebound them last year?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
With the wet fisch out there VCU devastates us with the pick n roll.  Heldts perimeter defense was the key.  Did we hold D1 teams  to 44% shooting n out rebound them last year?

Seek help.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
If Theo can stay out of foul trouble he is taking Heldt's minutes it was obvious today.
Goal is National Championship

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2017, 07:02:55 PM »
Why are normal posters still posting in this ridiculous thread?
We should all be ashamed of ourselves! Those that are trying to make valid points, please make them in other threads!

What if aliens came down and tapped into our internet as reconnaissance and saw this thread? Surely it would provoke them to enslave us all and harvest our organs and vital fluids to fuel their intergalactic flux capacitors. Do you really want that on your conscience in the afterlife?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

🏀

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
I'm about to say something political to shut this thread down.

Don't make me do it, RockY!

Do it, please

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2017, 05:57:44 AM »
Do it, please

Ok, what the hell-

A thief sticks a gun to this guys ribs and says- give me all your money to which the victim replies, do you realize that I’m a United States congressman?  The thief looks at him, pauses, then says, oh, then give me all my money ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2017, 07:15:48 AM »
Bump.   Because I need something to make me laugh this morning. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2017, 07:21:34 AM »
I do find the Luke support to be somewhat amusing. Late last season many on here felt Heldt was the answer. I wish the #5 spot was the only hole in the roster. To paraphrase 4ever "Wojo needs to up the talent level across the board". There is far more work to be done that most on here are willing to accept.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2017, 07:25:12 AM »
Agreed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »
Don't worry, this will be defensible...i.e. fouled out their big man, Luke woulda fouled out, etc.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2017, 07:35:39 AM »
I do find the Luke support to be somewhat amusing. Late last season many on here felt Heldt was the answer. I wish the #5 spot was the only hole in the roster. To paraphrase 4ever "Wojo needs to up the talent level across the board". There is far more work to be done that most on here are willing to accept.

I remember a vocal few who felt that way, especially one person. But I strongly disagree it was many or the majority.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
Vander

Honestly I do nor remember who or how many were in Heldt camp, but I do remember scratching my head over it. It was another reminder to me on how little some folks know about the game of basketball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »

This team is just not tough enough physically. Not only that, 4 or 5 years into a rebuild and we are still "young"?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
79Warrior

I do find the fact that we are still young to be a bit troubling. Actually tired of hearing that from the idiot announcers.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:25 AM »
This team is just not tough enough physically. Not only that, 4 or 5 years into a rebuild and we are still "young"?

We have one senior and one junior.  We are young.
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »
79Warrior

I do find the fact that we are still young to be a bit troubling. Actually tired of hearing that from the idiot announcers.

We ARE still young. We now have one senior and one junior. Once Froling is eligible, our 9 players will consist of 3 freshmen, 4 sophomores, 1 junior and 1 senior.

It's troubling that we are still young, but it's not an excuse. It's a fact.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »
MUeagle

It is a fact. It is like the Packers, always the youngest team in the league and most under the cap. If we are going to be young, lets have a bunch of one and done or two and done guys. Please note, I want this to be guys turning pro and not transferring that leave early.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
MUeagle

It is a fact. It is like the Packers, always the youngest team in the league and most under the cap. If we are going to be young, lets have a bunch of one and done or two and done guys. Please note, I want this to be guys turning pro and not transferring that leave early.

But the Packers win and they don't use being young or having injuries as an excuse.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »

I think there's a bit of a disconnect on this, but I agree that we should be older by now. We have one senior because of a transfer. We have one junior left from the first class. We are young, in large part, because Haanif Cheatham, Traci Carter, Sandy Cohen, Henry Ellenson, Gabe Levin, and Duane Wilson left. We are also young because Egor Koulechov, Kyle Washington, and Cameron Johnson went elsewhere and for the most part the staff hasn't targeted JUCOs. There has definitely been some trouble balancing the classes.

Next year we are currently scheduled to have:

1 Senior: Matt Heldt
5 Juniors: Markus Howard, Sam Hauser, Ed Morrow, Sacar Anim, Harry Froling
3 Sophomores: Theo John, Jamal Cain, Greg Elliott
3 Freshmen: Joey Hauser, Brendan Bailey, Ike Eke

Personally, I really hope to see a grad transfer point guard (probably made that obvious in the recruiting thread) and that would give us pretty good balance going forward. Losing 60% of the 2016 class certainly had an impact. The next two years we won't be young anymore, but it is taking awhile to get there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback