[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What is your standard for joining the "fire Wojo" posts this year?

Nothing could shake my faith. Wojo is the savior.
72 (38.3%)
Being projected outside of the Bubble
30 (16%)
Losing to DePaul. God I hate losing to DePaul.
34 (18.1%)
Our first L
7 (3.7%)
Don't care about the record, but a sub-150 KenPom D efficiency rating will kill me
45 (23.9%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Author Topic: Woj Colored Glasses  (Read 25215 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Woj Colored Glasses
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
Aren't you supposed to get more patient and wiser with age? Have people been lying to me? Cause I was kind of banking on that

Not lying to you, I think guru is a different sort of case. I was less patient when I was younger, and after Wade wasn't going to be satisfied with much other than Marquette springboarding from the Final Four back to elite status.

As the years have gone by and that hasn't happened, I've come to accept that it's a process and cannot happen overnight. Watching how programs like Villanova grew from mid-table to Champions, I think where we are now is where Jay Wright was in 2005. They didn't win a title for more than a decade.

All I want is one time cutting down the Final Four nets before I die. I don't remember 1977 (was born a month before the title), but I got the Cubs and Blackhawks titles I long coveted. Really hoping a Marquette basketball championship is next on my list.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
The only thing that get me on the 'fire Wojo' bandwagon this year is NCAA violations.    I think this team will be a bubble team again.  3 of the  group of 4 freshman/Froling/Sacar have to hit, as well as Haanif improving for this to be more than a bubble team.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
Letting Henry walk instead of keeping him for another year to develop https://twitter.com/DetroitPistons/status/923354621048844288

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
Aren't you supposed to get more patient and wiser with age? Have people been lying to me? Cause I was kind of banking on that

I'm more patient about sports stuff like MU basketball.  I'm less patient about stuff like standing in line.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
Not lying to you, I think guru is a different sort of case.

That's for sure. Based on stuff he's said over the past year or two, it's pretty evident that he "needs" MU basketball success more than most.

It would be easy to say his priorities are a little misplaced, but nah ... he's just into it crazy-hot. It takes all kinds to make a fan base. Still, that doesn't mean we can't remind him it's not life or death every once in awhile!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »
I have been on record in several threads saying we should be 3rd in the Big East and make it to second week of Tournament. I have been a big fan of Wojos recruiting over time. I saw signs of his growth as a coach last year . In particular, the armistice he signed with JJJ last year was for the betterment of the team . Now that he has all his own guys, it is up to him and the staff to make it work.

I think the Detroit Trio plus Theo have the athletiscm to keep us in the conversation in coming years. Markus and The Hausers are also a band making great music . If Bailey matriculates we go to another level .

The only thing that would cause me to reevaluate my view would be a significant backward movement in Big East Conference play. As that is the acid test of the game coaching ability. 8th or worse would put him on hot seat .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:00:31 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:53 PM »
None of the above. Dumb poll.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »
A point of reference that got brought up on an astounding podcast and some twitter talk.....we could finish with the same record in conference as last year, be statistically better, and not make the tournament. Making the tournament is but one of several metrics on performance, yes it's important and I would be disappointed if we don't make the NCAA, it is not cause for any action on Wojo.

A lot of how I feel about Wojo will be determined by KenPom this year, especially around defense. He knows it's a problem for at least 10 months now, if he can't make progress with the team thats a big concern.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:14 AM »
I have been on record in several threads saying we should be 3rd in the Big East and make it to second week of Tournament. I have been a big fan of Wojos recruiting over time. I saw signs of his growth as a coach last year . In particular, the armistice he signed with JJJ last year was for the betterment of the team . Now that he has all his own guys, it is up to him and the staff to make it work.

I think the Detroit Trio plus Theo have the athletiscm to keep us in the conversation in coming years. Markus and The Hausers are also a band making great music . If Bailey matriculates we go to another level .

The only thing that would cause me to reevaluate my view would be a significant backward movement in Big East Conference play. As that is the acid test of the game coaching ability. 8th or worse would put him on hot seat .
My problem with this assessment is that to be counting on 4 freshmen from outside the top 100 to be significant contributors as freshmen is asking for disappointment.     If you are expecting them all to be able to give you 15-20 good minutes each per night, you are being unfair and unrealistic.    And if it doesn't happen, you will blame the coach.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »
My problem with this assessment is that to be counting on 4 freshmen from outside the top 100 to be significant contributors as freshmen is asking for disappointment.     If you are expecting them all to be able to give you 15-20 good minutes each per night, you are being unfair and unrealistic.    And if it doesn't happen, you will blame the coach.   
But of course he'll blame Wojo. Plus all the demotivation by Wojo. He won't sign another armistice for sure!
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »
I am expecting Theo to give 10 quality minutes, Elliot and Cain to work their way to 6-7 by season end and a handful of minutes from Ike.  My enthusiasm for the frosh stems strictly from their energy uplift when they are in. Next year will be more skills based.

The core Hauser, Markus and Rowsey may combine for 60 points some nights. That is where the excitement stems from. I also believe Haani is going to get back on track and Matt Heldt has a limited but well defined role he be effective in.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
I am expecting Theo to give 10 quality minutes, Elliot and Cain to work their way to 6-7 by season end and a handful of minutes from Ike.  My enthusiasm for the frosh stems strictly from their energy uplift when they are in. Next year will be more skills based.

The core Hauser, Markus and Rowsey may combine for 60 points some nights. That is where the excitement stems from. I also believe Haani is going to get back on track and Matt Heldt has a limited but well defined role he be effective in.

Can't wait for your Picks on Brew's Prediction Thread.  Hope its a Big Boy Pants Pick, and not a High Ceiling, Low Floor Range observation.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
Woo bringing us to the promise land

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »
Woo bringing us to the promise land

Wait ... Ronnie Woo Woo?

Marquette Woo! Warriors Woo!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »
1.  Wojo abuses players in practice.
2.  Wojo commits a major NCAA violation.
3.  Wojo brings to students waiting outside for first crack at student seating, donuts he bought the night before, instead of that morning's donuts.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:01:43 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
46% say Wojo is the savior. Help me understand. I want to be a true believer but the reality appear differently through my not so rose colored glasses.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
None of the above. Dumb poll.

This.

Although I do like that this thread led to MUFINY to claim he has been a Wojo fan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »
46% say Wojo is the savior. Help me understand. I want to be a true believer but the reality appear differently through my not so rose colored glasses.
Considering what wojo started with, what were your expectations?   Steady improvement.  Made tourney in  third season.   Stringing together classes that fill needs.   A little bit like Maximus.  Are you not entertained?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 09:44:02 PM »
Since I don't have any vision of jumping on the fire Wojo wagon this year, the choice of him being our savior was the closest option to what I believe. Next time, make a better poll.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
You misunderstood.  People were saying you get wider with age.

As to Wojo, he is maturing as a coach. As I stated in the past, I wish he did like Carolyn did and just got his players in from the get-go. In the end, there was a lot of wasted time and resources, and the inevitable happened anyway (players left or were Pole-whacked). Now, he has his guys here, recruited for his systems and by his coaches. There is stability in the program, the athletic department and university.  This is a make year for Wojo, not a break year.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »
Personally, I'm a little concerned about the declining quality of play in the noon-ball coaches games. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Judging by the Purdue thread, lots of people answered this poll dishonestly!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
Judging by the Purdue thread, lots of people answered this poll dishonestly!

I didn't answer because I thought the poll was pointless. Still is.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »
I have no faith that we would hire a better coach, if we let Wojo go. I think it is more of a talent problem than a coaching problem. Of course the coach is responsible for the talent on the team

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
Bilsu

I am with you across the board. Stick with Wojo and see what happens. While I might not like the progress, ride it out for 2-3 more years. Let him try and recruit talent and see where it goes. At this point, it is lack on high level talent that is the problem.

feedback