'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What is your standard for joining the "fire Wojo" posts this year?

Nothing could shake my faith. Wojo is the savior.
72 (38.3%)
Being projected outside of the Bubble
30 (16%)
Losing to DePaul. God I hate losing to DePaul.
34 (18.1%)
Our first L
7 (3.7%)
Don't care about the record, but a sub-150 KenPom D efficiency rating will kill me
45 (23.9%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Author Topic: Woj Colored Glasses  (Read 24907 times)

1SE

• All American
Woj Colored Glasses
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:28:28 AM »
Sorry for the bevy of posts - clearly leaves are falling, air is getting crisp and I'm ready for some MUBB!

I thought it would be good to put everyone's Wojo expectations on record now. My Woj colored glasses are on - I'm excited about the season, think that everyone is underrating us (which gives us a nice MU chip on the shoulder), and figure there's no way in hell that with being the only thing they worked on over the summer we won't have a swinging gate pick'n'roll "D".

I'm encouraged by the UWM reports that Theo is a Robert Jackson-esque (those of you there, can I use that? How I miss Robert Jackson. Finally we have someone that can bang with Delgado?). I'm a bit concerned about how we'll fare in non-con without Frolling's depth, but am confident we can steal one we aren't supposed to which keeps us firmly in the NCAA convo all year. My pick is the "off the bubble" (if we're not at least in the NCAA Convo that is a big step back) although I was tempted to the D eff rating.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

bilsu

• All American
Re: Woj Colored Glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
Automatic firing would be losing to UWM. Wojo is safe this year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
Where's the option for "Paid Orchestrated payment of $500,000 to the Ellenson family; then paid orchestrated another $500,000 for Henry."

Outside of that, there isn't much Wojo can do (or not do) this year that would have me calling for his head; however, if MU finishes bottom four in conference two years in a row (not attributable to injuries, external factors beyond control, etc.), then I might have something to talk about.

[Edited by legal counsel]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:34:37 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
I want to see progress. That may not result in a tourney berth, but better defense, Sam and Markus moving forward and not regressing, and staying competitive with an overall winning record will suffice.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »
I want to see progress. That may not result in a tourney berth, but better defense, Sam and Markus moving forward and not regressing, and staying competitive with an overall winning record will suffice.

Which I think would have to equate with us being on the bubble.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
Which I think would have to equate with us being on the bubble.

If that was all we saw, probably. I'm one of the eternal optimist types, so I think we have more upside than that. I believe 20+ wins, a top-100 defense, comparable offense to last year, and a 5-7 seed is perfectly realistic to hope for. But that's where the difference between what I hope to see happen and what I would be content with happening differs.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
For me to join a fire Wojo chorus, it would have to be an NCAA issue.  Maybe a really bad overall losing record (like 12-18 or worse).  I think he definitely has us on a steady progression in the right direction.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »
For me to join a fire Wojo chorus, it would have to be an NCAA issue.  Maybe a really bad overall losing record (like 12-18 or worse).  I think he definitely has us on a steady progression in the right direction.

I'm about here as well. Any sort of serious violations would get me on the bandwagon.

An ugly record would depend on how MU got there. Were there a ton of injuries? Did MU lose a bunch of games by a single possession? Was MU completely non-competitive in the Big East? Were there multiple midseason transfers from key contributors? Not all ugly records are created equal. It'd have to be an absolutely disastrous season on the court for me to think Wojo should go after this season.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »
I'm about here as well. Any sort of serious violations would get me on the bandwagon.

An ugly record would depend on how MU got there. Were there a ton of injuries? Did MU lose a bunch of games by a single possession? Was MU completely non-competitive in the Big East? Were there multiple midseason transfers from key contributors? Not all ugly records are created equal. It'd have to be an absolutely disastrous season on the court for me to think Wojo should go after this season.
Ditto on NCAA violations moving me to a 'time to move on' vote.  Things like multiple midseason transfers from key contributors would certainly be an indication of a larger problem too - thankfully neither of those things seems remotely possible. 

The only other thing that would shake my faith in Wojo's master plan would be lack of improvement in his time out speeches to the team that are shown on TV.  If he has to rely on the same platitudes again this year it's probably time to move on.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »

I really see the program going in the right direction.  This year getting into the NCAA tournament would be outstanding.  Different team this year then last.  Have to learn
how to play D.  With only 1 senior on the team, the following years should be a big improvement.   Really like Morrow, big body that has done it,  He is a proven rebounder, add Joey with Froling learning this year they will be able to play against anybody.  Freshman will be much better, new arena to sell.  With or without Grimes, they will be good.  With Grimes they could be a Top 15 team,  if Wojo  can coach.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
Wojo is on the verge of landing a 5 star recruit and people are wondering what it takes to fire Wojo. SMH

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »
Wojo is on the verge of landing a 5 star recruit and people are wondering what it takes to fire Wojo. SMH

I agree, he was left nothing from Buzz, rebuilding the program from the ground floor, I do not know what people expect.  Secondly, the guy works his ass off for MU
everyday.  The fruits of his work will be starting to show the next few years.  Yes, if they get Grimes for the one year, they should be really good next year.  MY only
problem I have is the 14th player on scholarship. somebody might have to go.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »
I voted our first loss, I tried to vote in teal but couldn't figure out how to do it. I'm with the NCAA violation crown. I am hard pressed to think anything that would get me on the fire Wojo bandwagon. I know some folks around here were pretty wound up last year but that was to early to judge. I could be wrong but seems to me that MU hoops is trending upward at a good clip.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »

I agree with you except for the "on the verge of landing" part........

Top 4 with a chance doesn't equate to on the verge for me.

In 2 weeks we will likely know if we landed him or not....I give Wojo all the credit for getting us this far in the recruitment but if we don't land him then being close isn't going to count for much.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
Screw this! Fire him yesterday!!

I'm tired of looking at his de-motivating arse on our sideline. Can't recruit a lick, either.

If we can't raise Al from the dead - and really, have any of our science-major geniuses even taken a real crack at it? - we might as well just disband the damn program.

I'm sick of this mediocrity. Wojo - he gowne!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
Big year for Wojo. All his recruits now.  Defense, please.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
Sorry for the bevy of posts - clearly leaves are falling, air is getting crisp and I'm ready for some MUBB!

I thought it would be good to put everyone's Wojo expectations on record now. My Woj colored glasses are on - I'm excited about the season, think that everyone is underrating us (which gives us a nice MU chip on the shoulder), and figure there's no way in hell that with being the only thing they worked on over the summer we won't have a swinging gate pick'n'roll "D".

I'm encouraged by the UWM reports that Theo is a Robert Jackson-esque (those of you there, can I use that? How I miss Robert Jackson. Finally we have someone that can bang with Delgado?). I'm a bit concerned about how we'll fare in non-con without Frolling's depth, but am confident we can steal one we aren't supposed to which keeps us firmly in the NCAA convo all year. My pick is the "off the bubble" (if we're not at least in the NCAA Convo that is a big step back) although I was tempted to the D eff rating.

After all o that can't wait for your picks on the Brew Thread.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »
I'm not up on every utterance the 1000 Scoop monkeys have been typing on keyboards.

Who in the past 7ish months has suggested Wojo be fired? 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
We would have to have two really bad seasons for me to get on board that train. However, if the defense is still a turnstile this year, it will make me lower my hopes of where Wojo can take us. We are past the point I think where we can keep using youth or Buzz's players excuses.

A lot have wondered about the scheme, including me. We don't even have to be great, just good enough that a top 10 offense does more than get us on a shaky bubble.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
There isn't an option that really fits me. I'm not sold Wojo is the savior but it would take a disaster of a performance to get me on the fire Wojo bandwagon (which hasn't been spotted for months as Hilltopper pointed out).

Ever since Wojo took over, I looked at this season as a probable down year. At the time, we had our highest rated recruiting class in a long time set to graduate this offseason. Plus, Luke was going to graduate and if I've learned anything about Marquette basketball its that we have hard time finding quality centers. I expect us to be a bubble team this season which means we are only a few bad breaks away from missing the postseason (NIT included) all together.

While I will enjoy this season and am hoping like hell we will exceed expectations, my gaze is already peeking ahead to to 18-19 & 19-20. Those seasons are shaping up to be our return to glory. So I guess the team would have to do so badly that I no longer believe that next season will be good. I don't see us getting close to that point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
While I will enjoy this season and am hoping like hell we will exceed expectations, my gaze is already peeking ahead to to 18-19 & 19-20. Those seasons are shaping up to be our return to glory. So I guess the team would have to do so badly that I no longer believe that next season will be good. I don't see us getting close to that point.

The last time I was this excited for future seasons was looking ahead to 2013-14, when we'd have Vander Blue, Davante Gardner, Jamil Wilson, and Chris Otule as seniors, top-100 talents behind them in Juan Anderson, Steve Taylor, and (not top-100 but outplaying his rankings) Todd Mayo, and a stud recruiting class that included Deonte Burton, Jajuan Johnson, Duane Wilson, and uber-JUCO Jameel McKay.

The Final Four with that team seemed not just possible but damn near probable. And that's why I'm always nervous to get too excited for future teams...though I don't disagree with your assessment.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
The last time I was this excited for future seasons was looking ahead to 2013-14, when we'd have Vander Blue, Davante Gardner, Jamil Wilson, and Chris Otule as seniors, top-100 talents behind them in Juan Anderson, Steve Taylor, and (not top-100 but outplaying his rankings) Todd Mayo, and a stud recruiting class that included Deonte Burton, Jajuan Johnson, Duane Wilson, and uber-JUCO Jameel McKay.

The Final Four with that team seemed not just possible but damn near probable. And that's why I'm always nervous to get too excited for future teams...though I don't disagree with your assessment.

This
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
You guys have a lot more patience then I do..20 years ago when I was younger, I'd have been where you are, but now, getting older, my patience wears thin easily for lots of things, ESPECIALLY MU not making the tourney.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »
You guys have a lot more patience then I do..20 years ago when I was younger, I'd have been where you are, but now, getting older, my patience wears thin easily for lots of things, ESPECIALLY MU not making the tourney.

Aren't you supposed to get more patient and wiser with age? Have people been lying to me? Cause I was kind of banking on that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
Aren't you supposed to get more patient and wiser with age? Have people been lying to me? Cause I was kind of banking on that
You misunderstood.  People were saying you get wider with age.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.