[Today at 05:54:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Whatever Happened Ta Dickie Strong?  (Read 5179 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Whatever Happened Ta Dickie Strong?
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
Ted Kellner just laid 25 mega on UW. Butt, Richard has been MIA for years, hey?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:32:40 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Whatever Happened Ta Dick Strong?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
Not bad for a walk on who got cut.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2017/10/21/badgers-their-core-ted-and-mary-kellner-commit-25-million-uw-madison/784355001/

This is just walking around money for him.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
Re: Whatever Happened Ta Dick Strong?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NLOn458Gy4A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NLOn458Gy4A</a>

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Whatever Happened Ta Dickie Strong?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:36:27 AM »

Kenn Riccci just gave ND $100 million.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/education/notre-dame-to-receive-million-gift/article_6071d2ad-7f19-5b50-aab6-05656d47d656.html

This is their 8th recent gift of more than $25 million.

-------------

Dick Strong lives in Aspen (or somewhere like that in CO), and runs Baraboo Growth Inc.  Rob Frozena worked for him (don't know if he still does).

Recall Strong was busted for illegally trading against his Strong funds in 2003 (called "market timing" trades), and sold his fund management business, called Strong financial, for a small fraction of its true net worth in 2004 to Wells Fargo.  At the time of the sale, Strong Financial had over 1,000 employees.  By 2012 it was down to just 1.

http://www.pionline.com/article/20120806/PRINT/308069980/one-time-powerhouse-strong-financial-down-to-a-staff-of-1

Dick Strong was also banned from the securities industry for life in 2004.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 07:32:25 AM »
Yeah butt, wee still need a suga daddie, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »

Between ND above and this story below, Bucky's $25 million is looking rather pedestrian.

I hope The Profit Marcus Lemonis is taking note and steps up.

The university of Illinois receives its biggest gift ever—$150 million
October 26, 2017
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20171026/NEWS13/171029897/university-of-illinois-receives-its-biggest-gift-ever-x2014-150-million#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccb-breakingnews&utm_campaign=ccb-breakingnews-20171026

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has landed the biggest donation in its history, with a Chicago entrepreneur and his wife giving $150 million to its business school.

Madison Industries founder and CEO Larry Gies and his wife, Beth Gies, who both graduated from U of I, made the donation, the school said in a statement today. The money will be used for scholarships, student programs and faculty recruitment and retention, said Jeffrey Brown, who is dean of what now is being called the Gies College of Business.

"All of this money is being invested in students and the faculty and staff that help make this place great," Brown said in an interview. "It's been decades in the making because Larry really attributes his success to his time here as a student."

For those who have never heard of Gies, 51, that's by design. Gies, who grew up in Illinois farm town of Mendota, made his way to the downstate university's college of business for an undergraduate degree in accounting, and has tried to keep a low profile, Brown said.

Gies became a certified public accountant after graduating from U of I, and earned an MBA from Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management before going to work for the late Heico founder and investor Michael Heisley, who also formerly owned the Vancouver Grizzlies professional basketball team.

Gies founded Madison Industries in 1994, and since then it has acquired some 100 companies across manufacturing, medical, energy and other industries. One of the companies, Filtration Group, owns Northbrook-based Chemco Manufacturing. Today, Madison's portfolio of businesses collectively has some $5 billion in revenue.

He also leads the Gies Foundation, focused on youth, education and health, and helped established a campus for Chicago Jesuit Academy, a full-scholarship school for boys on the city's West Side.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:30:16 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
Bigger schools, more alumni, better chance to hit it big that one of them will have the means.

In case some missed it, MU Dental school received a $5 million gift last week.  A few months ago $10M donation for Wild Hall.  Another $1.5M from Lemonis. 

A number of the benefactors MU has also donate to other philanthropic goals in the city. That splits up the dollars.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »
Bigger schools, more alumni, better chance to hit it big that one of them will have the means.

In case some missed it, MU Dental school received a $5 million gift last week.  A few months ago $10M donation for Wild Hall.  Another $1.5M from Lemonis. 

A number of the benefactors MU has also donate to other philanthropic goals in the city. That splits up the dollars.

Highlighted is exactly right. 

B1G schools crank out 10,000 to 15,000 alumni a year.  They have a living alumni base that numbers in the hundreds of thousands.  So the odds suggest you will have an alumnus that hits it really big and gives back.

Contrast that with MU that cranks out 2k to 3k alumni every year and maybe has 75k to 100k living alumni.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
Some alum just laid 34 mil, last weak, on frickin’ MSOE, of all places, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
This is from my post above about the $150 million gift to Illinois

Gies became a certified public accountant after graduating from U of I, and earned an MBA from Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management before going to work for the late Heico founder and investor Michael Heisley, who also formerly owned the Vancouver Grizzlies professional basketball team.

Note that Geis is also an alumnus of Northwestern.  Yet he did not give this money (or split it) with Kellogg.  I take this to mean he has a stronger affinity to Illinois than Northwestern.

Questions for the crowd ...

Do people typically have a stronger affinity to their undergraduate school than their graduate school? In my family, I strongly lean to MU (which is why I'm on this board) and send my donations that way.  But my wife, who also graduated from MU, donates to Northwestern, where she got her MBA.  She has a stronger affinity to that school.  So my family is split.  What do others say?

Do successful sports programs help solidify that affinity? Note that Geis worked with the owners of the Grizzlies.  Can I jump to the conclusion he is a basketball fan?  If has the many years of basketball success of Illinois, relative to Northwestern, made him a bigger Illinois fan and more willing to donate to Illinois over Northwestern?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »
Question 1. Typically yes but not always. My wife affiliates more with TAMU where she got her Masters because it is a more prestigious institution than her undergrad.

Question 2. Yes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »

Note that Geis is also an alumnus of Northwestern.  Yet he did not give this money (or split it) with Kellogg.  I take this to mean he has a stronger affinity to Illinois than Northwestern.

Do people typically have a stronger affinity to their undergraduate school than their graduate school? In my family, I strongly lean to MU (which is why I'm on this board) and send my donations that way.  But my wife, who also graduated from MU, donates to Northwestern, where she got her MBA.  She has a stronger affinity to that school.  So my family is split.  What do others say?

Do successful sports programs help solidify that affinity? Note that Geis worked with the owners of the Grizzlies.  Can I jump to the conclusion he is a basketball fan?  If has the many years of basketball success of Illinois, relative to Northwestern, made him a bigger Illinois fan and more willing to donate to Illinois over Northwestern?

Undergrad.  Not close.

Yes, if you care about sports. If you don't, then no.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
Question 1. Typically yes but not always. My wife affiliates more with TAMU where she got her Masters because it is a more prestigious institution than her undergrad.

Question 2. Yes.

This.  Look no further than yours truly as your example of both.... Benny got his Master's from Marquette but his undergrad came from a D-III school.  Said D-III school hasn't received a single dollar from me since I paid off my campus parking tickets in order to get my transcript released to MU, yet while I'm not a first-name basis with Joe True, I've donated enough to hang up my coat at the BC (+ free cookies and popcorn) every year since graduating from MU.

And I have absolutely no qualms admitting that the primary reason I put my grad school application into MU was the 2003 FF run.  So a successful basketball program was both the genesis and continuation of my giving to MU, which will culminate with the opening of the Thunderdome, circa 2036 (giving the Bucks 18 years to f'up their new arena).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »

I think most people have their greatest affinity to undergrad . The ones who have an affinity to grad are usually like your better half who did their grad work at an elite or more prestigious institution .

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback