[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Eight NCAA Tournament teams from last season that won't make it back in 2018  (Read 5588 times)

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/eight-ncaa-tournament-teams-from-last-season-that-wont-make-it-back-in-2018/

Marquette Golden Eagles
Last season's seed: No. 10
Key nonconference opponents: Purdue (Nov. 14), VCU (Nov. 20), Georgia (Dec. 2), Wisconsin (Dec. 9)
Marquette lost three seniors of a team that went 19-13 and shot the most accurate percentage from 3-point range (42.9) in the sport. Steve Wojciechowski's team isn't going to be that good again from deep, and the defense has miles to go. Marquette fans would absolutely take finishing sixth in the Big East right now if you offered that, vs. chancing any better outcome. A fun program, and Wojciechowski's going to keep it steady, but probably an NIT year. The schedule is plenty challenging, and I like that a lot. I'll eat crow if MU winds up winning at least two in Maui, and is able to take the game vs. Wisconsin. Do that, then the NCAA Tournament picture changes significantly for this program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Avoid injuries to Markus, Sam and Rowsey at inopportune times and we're tourney-bound again this year. Good foundation/experience to build on for a 2018/2019 squad that could legitimately challenge for the natty with Grimes.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
While I do think we make the NCAA Tournament this year, it's not unreasonable to predict us to miss it.

Yes, our offense was great last year, but our defense was just as bad as he offense was good. We lost a lot of minutes from last year, and have a lot of newcomers (freshmen and transfers). Adding to that, one of our more senior guards is coming off of a self described sophomore slump, and we have another guard looking to play solid minutes that is coming off of a redshirt year. If I'm a national sportswriter, I look at this and say "Yeah, they'll probably miss the tournament".

I think Wojo will have us on track to make the dance again, but our players need to really buy in and put in work to improve defensively to make that happen.

burger

• All American
Crow tastes good raw!

barfolomew

• All American
Only nit I would pick with that write up is the fans taking sixth in a heartbeat. I think the majority would rather roll the dice, considering 4th - 8th is pretty close.
Just in case, I've screen capped that to tweet back to Norlander in a couple months.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

DJO's Jaw

• All American
I agree there. I actually think we have a solid shot at the 5 spot. Could even get up to the 4 depending on how Providence compares to people's predictions of them.

TheGym

• Starter
Other than a simple regression, I don't get the implication that we will be worse this year from 3pt.  Reinhardt is gone and he was a huge drag on our percentage.  I guess if you fill a freshman with all of the Reinhardt 3's than yes, but I would think the Rowsey, Howard, Hauser combo will be just as good this year.

Also, I think the fans expectations this year are more than few years.  No way would I take a six place finish right now.

BM1090

• All American
Other than a simple regression, I don't get the implication that we will be worse this year from 3pt.  Reinhardt is gone and he was a huge drag on our percentage.  I guess if you fill a freshman with all of the Reinhardt 3's than yes, but I would think the Rowsey, Howard, Hauser combo will be just as good this year.

Also, I think the fans expectations this year are more than few years.  No way would I take a six place finish right now.

Reinhardt shot 38%. He wasn't a drag on our percentage. Yes he was lower than the average but he was another good shooter who helped create open looks for others.

TheGym

• Starter
Reinhardt shot 38%. He wasn't a drag on our percentage. Yes he was lower than the average but he was another good shooter who helped create open looks for others.

Sorry to quibble, but this a message board.  So here it goes.  He chucked up the second most attempts and was 5.4% below our average.  He definitely was a huge drag on the stats.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
If our fourth best 3 pt shooter is at 38% on high volume, I can live with that.  That is better than Hayward and Crowder shot.

MuMark

• All American
Simple regression is a good enough reason by itself.......we lead the country last season......unlikely to do it 2 years in a row. 3 point shooting tends to fluctuate quite a bit.....even if the shooters don't change.

TheGym

• Starter
If our fourth best 3 pt shooter is at 38% on high volume, I can live with that.  That is better than Hayward and Crowder shot.

Agreed, you will definitely take it.  Marquette was one of the best 3pt shooting teams last year.  But it wasn't because of Reinhardt.  It was because of the first three were off the charts good.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Agreed, you will definitely take it.  Marquette was one of the best 3pt shooting teams last year.  But it wasn't because of Reinhardt.  It was because of the first three were off the charts good.

MU shot 42.9% on 3s.  Without Reinhardt, that would have been 44.2%.  Make of it what you will.

wadesworld

• All American
MU shot 42.9% on 3s.  Without Reinhardt, that would have been 44.2%.  Make of it what you will.

yuuge...drag...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
I didn't have to read past the first sentence to know that this article was stupid.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Totally reasonable to pick us out, especially from an outsider perspective. I do, however, expect he'll be eating that crow.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
Sorry to quibble, but this a message board.  So here it goes.  He chucked up the second most attempts and was 5.4% below our average.  He definitely was a huge drag on the stats.
Much of that was early on.  Katin did shoot 41.7% on his 3s in BE play.  That's not too shabby.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Much of that was early on.  Katin did shoot 41.7% on his 3s in BE play.  That's not too shabby.

Markus also shot better from 3 point range in Big East play.  Isn't that around the time that Rowsey started getting starts?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

We R Final Four

• All American
I didn't have to read past the first sentence to know that this article was stupid.
+1.

muwarrior69

• All American
Let's play the games, then we can all brag how good we are or gripe about how bad a coach Wojo is.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
I dont see us making the tournament with all the experience we lost and the fact that its being replaced by many with very little experience.  However, i see much potential and would be happy to be wrong. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

fjm

• All American
I dont see us making the tournament with all the experience we lost and the fact that its being replaced by many with very little experience.  However, i see much potential and would be happy to be wrong.

WHOA! Big surprise there! I would have thought you'd expect us a final 4 team now that your Ex-love Luke Fish is gone...  :-*

Marquette2022

• Walk-On
Once again, very young. Still can make the tournament with a young team. Have heard that Theo, Greg, and Jamal are very mature players. If they can contribute, along with Sacar and Haanif it will be a good year.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
Marquette has to improve the defense.  It's been so bad over the past 2-3 years. 

dgies9156

• All American
Real respect is earned, not given.

If we intend to make it to the NCAA again, we do it by winning. Not by what some pre-season analyst says.

They have no clue as to what is happening at the Al Center.

Just win baby.