[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Women's BB thread  (Read 15103 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Women's BB thread
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »
If you can find one article or Coach Kieger quote in which the women's basketball team is referred to as "ladies", I will retract my statement.

Well, a quick search reveals she uses "ladies" to refer to members of the team...

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111315aac.html

"I am confident everyone one of these ladies will leave their mark on our culture, team and community. Our family has gotten bigger and better and I couldn’t be more thrilled.”

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2017, 01:23:07 AM »
If you can find one article or Coach Kieger quote in which the women's basketball team is referred to as "ladies", I will retract my statement.

https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/663444723760308224

https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/654375804055457792

https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/769402712131772416 (Granted this one is referring to the volleyball team)

https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/676173367851032577

How do those look from up on your high horse?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2017, 02:11:15 AM »
Poor women even get referred to as "girls" here (~3:18).  I wish the coach would show them some respect.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/dVYbrkicOXg?t=3m15s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/dVYbrkicOXg?t=3m15s</a>

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2017, 05:31:49 AM »
Let’s just refer to them as babes and be done with all this nonsense.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2017, 06:55:08 AM »
Da Marquette WarriorChicks, ey?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:42:52 AM by Grime-y Headband »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
Just as in a lot of other things, context is important.  If you are discussing female people in a social setting, for example, referring to them as "ladies" is usually perfectly fine.  However, if you are talking about them in regards to an area where they have traditionally been marginalized, such as athletics or the business word, using the word "lady" can be seen as condescending or dismissive.  It's why you don't use the term "lady doctor" or "businesslady".   It means, "Yeah, she's a doctor, but she's a lady doctor".

This is an imperfect analogy, but I think this is similar:  I have heard African American men refer to their group of friends as "my boys".  But if a boss pointed over to a group of African American men that he supervises and said "Those are my boys", I don't think it would be taken the same way.

And just like the Lady Vols, the Ladies' championship at Wimbledon keeps the name because of tradition.  The NAACP hasn't changed its name either.

JC!  Are we serious here??!!  Offended just to be offended.  This is absolutely pathetic take your outrage and apply it somewhere where it might actually help better something.  The poster(s) was making a decent anf respectful post and we fly off the handle.  Pathetic.  Happy Halloween

Maybe we should target our coach and get her fired for her clear atrocities against womanhood!! She is the really perp here, the evidence is clear and overwhelming.  Outraged women unite to tear down this double agent planted to continue the harm and disrespect directed towards women with the use of this vile word!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:24:21 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
I imagine they would too. Good thing no one here has referred to them as chicks.
So some refer to themselves as a chick, but shout from the mountain tops on how to respectfully refer to women.
Interesting.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
So some refer to themselves as a chick, but shout from the mountain tops on how to respectfully refer to women.
Interesting.

BINGO!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
Interesting.

I allow my acquaintances to call me "chick", but I would not want to be referred to that in a formal senting.

But then again I am sure you get that, and just want to argue with me.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
 Chickeepooo

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/663444723760308224

https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/654375804055457792

https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/769402712131772416 (Granted this one is referring to the volleyball team)

https://twitter.com/ckieger/status/676173367851032577

How do those look from up on your high horse?

Wow, thanks for these.  You have paid more attention to the women's basketball team just to prove me wrong than you have for any other reason.

Okay, I retract my statement.  Call them whatever you want. 
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »
Women’s team is pretty darn tough.   Go Warriors!!!

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
Wow, thanks for these.  You have paid more attention to the women's basketball team just to prove me wrong than you have for any other reason.

Or maybe I had a small role with the women’s team while I was in school and am a fan of both Marquette basketball teams. But please keep telling me about my own interests.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »

I want to apologize as it was my post that started this whole mess. I meant no offense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
There's a difference between what friends, acquaintances, and coaches refer to each other as and what others call someone in a formal setting. If you don't believe me, try telling the next female officer who pull you over a "lady cop" and see how she responds. It's also different when another woman refers to a woman as something than when a man does. Context matters.

JC!  Are we serious here??!!  Offended just to be offended.  This is absolutely pathetic take your outrage and apply it somewhere where it might actually help better something.  The poster(s) was making a decent anf respectful post and we fly off the handle.  Pathetic.

What outrage and flying off the handle? Chick calmly pointed out that our women's team is not the "Lady Golden Eagles" but the Golden Eagles. No one attacked anyone, labeled anyone, or was outraged. Just pointed something out. It was all the responses to that which contained outrage and flying off the handle.

Instead of anger, try listening to Chick. She is one of what? Like three active female posters on this site? I think she has more insight on this topic than any of us bums do.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:57:38 AM by TAMU Grimes »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
Just out of curiosity did anyone refer to the women’s soccer or lacrosse teams as lady Golden Eagles? Or is this purely a basketball thing?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
There's a difference between what friends, acquaintances, and coaches refer to each other as and what others call someone in a formal setting. If you don't believe me, try telling the next female officer who pull you over a "lady cop" and see how she responds. It's also different when another woman refers to a woman as something than when a man does. Context matters.

What outrage and flying off the handle? Chick calmly pointed out that our women's team is not the "Lady Golden Eagles" but the Golden Eagles. No one attacked anyone, labeled anyone, or was outraged. Just pointed something out. It was all the responses to that which contained outrage and flying off the handle.

Instead of anger, try listening to Chick. She is one of what? Like three active female posters on this site? I think she has more insight on this topic than any of us bums do.

Liberal academic types never get it, they just want to tell everyone how smart they are and why we should be listening to them

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
Liberal academic types never get it, they just want to tell everyone how smart they are and why we should be listening to them

Are you putting me in that group?  That's hilarious.
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
Oh Sand-Knit, you are so hard to ignore, mainly because other posters are always quoting your asinine comments in order to refute them.

Chick and I may not be in the group of which you accuse us (although I still can't figure out why some people think "liberal" is a perjorative term), but we are in a group you will never belong to, let's just call it the XX group.

I have no qualms with referring to women, individually or as a group, as "lady" or "ladies."  Certainly better than some of the other options: girls, chicks or bitches, which women might use among close friends but never to refer to women they do not know personally.

My take on this issue is that women have fought for comparable opportunities to men in high school and college athletics for years (and let's not even talk about the pros).  Unless we are going to call the men's team the "gentlemen Golden Eagles," calling the women "Lady Golden Eagles" could be construed as somehow lesser, and less important, than the "regular" Golden Eagles. So how about we refer to them as the school does: Marquette Men's basketball and Marquette Women's basketball. 

And for those of you who still choose to respond to Sand-Knit's not-so-witty repartee, do some of us a favor and please don't quote him.  Thanks so much :-*
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:53:10 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

fjm

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2017, 01:53:55 PM »
I get all the sides and thoughts here. But we call our men's team "guys" "dudes" "boys"... not everything has to always be so uptight and rigid.

I can see where chick is coming from with her initial comments. And I can see where mom is always coming from. Let's just say everyone has their opinions... and maybe move on and talk about how our women's team is going to hopefully be a top 5 seed in the tourney!?

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
I’m completely exhausted by this thread and where it’s gone from where it was intended, which is too bad because I am excited for the women’s team this year.  Thanks everyone for completely derailing this because of one comment.  I hope you can all move on.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:03:26 PM by TheyWereCones »
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
To help get this back on track, MU69 found a great preview on the Big East. As expected, Marquette is the team to beat.

https://summitthoops.com/2017/10/27/big-east-conference-preview-marquette-the-team-to-beat/
TAMU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2017, 02:09:29 PM »
To help get this back on track, MU69 found a great preview on the Big East. As expected, Marquette is the team to beat.

https://summitthoops.com/2017/10/27/big-east-conference-preview-marquette-the-team-to-beat/

Good stuff.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
The women's team dropped their opener in about the roughest way possible. Made two FTs to take a 2 pt lead with 13 seconds left. Played tough defense, forced a tough shot that missed.....the Lobos grabbed the offensive board and put it in.....and got the and one....with a second left on the clock. MU loses by 1.
TAMU