Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Women's BB thread  (Read 15116 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Women's BB thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
That's excellent to hear! The women need our support.

Women's Basketball Season Ticket Prices
Lower Chair Back Reserved - $100
Lower Bench & Upper (General Admission) - $50

'Family Plan' - Includes 4 season tickets (2 adult, 2 youth) $125 - General Admission

Thanks for the clarification - I should have known better not to quote the price from memory....
Have some patience, FFS.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »
I definitely plan on supporting our Lady Warriors!! BE Champions!!! WE ARE MARQUETTE!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »
The women's team is ranked 19th in USA Today's  poll, the highest preseason ranking ever in the program's history:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-women/polls/coaches-poll/2017/1/
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
The women's team is ranked 19th in USA Today's  poll, the highest preseason ranking ever in the program's history:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-women/polls/coaches-poll/2017/1/

Alright alright alright. They have three huge opportunities to build that in non-conference play. They take on #18 Tennessee in Cancun and get #5 Notre Dame and #23 Michigan, unfortunately both on the road. If they can somehow win two of those three and continue their domination of the Big East, we could be talking about a top 10 team by season's end.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
Hmm...will we have a Lady Warrior/Eagles day game thread, will Tower give is his thoughts of the game, will we have a lady stud of the game, will glow start a lady recruiting thread, will scoop have a lady scholarship table and schedule, will TAMU give us game by game press-season preview? If not is this a Title IX violation?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 12:32:22 PM »
Hmm...will we have a Lady Warrior/Eagles day game thread, will Tower give is his thoughts of the game, will we have a lady stud of the game, will glow start a lady recruiting thread, will scoop have a lady scholarship table and schedule, will TAMU give us game by game press-season preview? If not is this a Title IX violation?

Why would you post this

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »

My takes are good, but I'm pretty sure they aren't funded by the federal government.
TAMU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »

Just to be clear here, the only women's basketball team that likes to be referred to as "ladies" is the Lady Vols, and that's only because of tradition, and probably to a point, irony.

Treat these women with a little respect, okay fellas?  I am sure they could kick the asses of most of you out there.   :-*

In a non-athletic situation, it's probably fine.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:40:32 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »

I get the attempt at humor here.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
Just to be clear here, the only women's basketball team that likes to be referred to as "ladies" is the Lady Vols, and that's only because of tradition, and probably to a point, irony.

Treat these women with a little respect, okay fellas?  I am sure they could kick the asses of most of you out there.   :-*

Well I guess I was brought up wrong as my mother always taught me to treat a Lady/woman with respect; and my questions were asked to show a sign of respect or are we going to just ignore the women here like we usually do. My Title IX question was tongue in cheek or foot in mouth depending on how you want to take it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »
I get the attempt at humor here.

Thanks, but to the point.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
Well I guess I was brought up wrong as my mother always taught me to treat a Lady/woman with respect; and my questions were asked to show a sign of respect or are we going to just ignore the women here like we usually do. My Title IX question was tongue in cheek or foot in mouth depending on how you want to take it.
+1  I was brought up to believe that Lady is about the most respectful term you could use for a woman.  It is the female equivalent of gentleman, I would think.  It never would have occurred to me that the term is not respectful to a female athlete.  (Plus, Fairfield U's woman's team is the Lady Stags, so that's at least two sets of ladies that don't mind, not to mention the Ladies championships at Wimbledon). 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
+1  I was brought up to believe that Lady is about the most respectful term you could use for a woman.  It is the female equivalent of gentleman, I would think.  It never would have occurred to me that the term is not respectful to a female athlete.  (Plus, Fairfield U's woman's team is the Lady Stags, so that's at least two sets of ladies that don't mind, not to mention the Ladies championships at Wimbledon).

Just as in a lot of other things, context is important.  If you are discussing female people in a social setting, for example, referring to them as "ladies" is usually perfectly fine.  However, if you are talking about them in regards to an area where they have traditionally been marginalized, such as athletics or the business word, using the word "lady" can be seen as condescending or dismissive.  It's why you don't use the term "lady doctor" or "businesslady".   It means, "Yeah, she's a doctor, but she's a lady doctor".

This is an imperfect analogy, but I think this is similar:  I have heard African American men refer to their group of friends as "my boys".  But if a boss pointed over to a group of African American men that he supervises and said "Those are my boys", I don't think it would be taken the same way.

And just like the Lady Vols, the Ladies' championship at Wimbledon keeps the name because of tradition.  The NAACP hasn't changed its name either.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

+3

If this offends anyone they are looking for a reason to be offended.....

Best of luck to the Lady Eagles this season!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2017, 02:37:32 PM »
+3

Who are the Eagles?
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 03:28:31 PM »
+3

No. If someone is offended it is because they are offended. The example Chick gave was spot on. You wouldn't refer to a female doctor as a lady doctor. Fair or not, the cultural implication is that they are somehow a lesser doctor. You don't go around calling male doctors "a gentleman doctor" or "man doctor." And if you did, the cultural implication wouldn't be taken as a negative. Talk to someone who has served with female soldiers. Many of them if not most would correct you if you called them a lady soldier and say "no, I'm a soldier." If you then continued to insist that they were a lady soldier many of them would then put you on your arse.

In most contexts, the term lady is absolutely a compliment. In some, it is not.

Here's the important part. Why get mad at someone for being offended? If the person is blowing it out of proportion and turning around and labeling you a bigot or something, sure I understand that. But if someone just says, "actually I prefer not to be called a lady." Why not just shrug and say "OK" and stop calling them a lady? If your goal is to compliment them, why insist on calling them something that they don't find complimentary?

I haven't actually spoken to any of the current members of the women's team, maybe they would like being called the Lady Golden Eagles. Everyone is different. But from my experience of working with several female athletes (my current supervisor was a collegiate volleyball player) and hundreds of women throughout my life, I would guess that they would be more honored and complimented if you just referred to them as Golden Eagles.
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
No. If someone is offended it is because they are offended. The example Chick gave was spot on. You wouldn't refer to a female doctor as a lady doctor. Fair or not, the cultural implication is that they are somehow a lesser doctor. You don't go around calling male doctors "a gentleman doctor" or "man doctor." And if you did, the cultural implication wouldn't be taken as a negative. Talk to someone who has served with female soldiers. Many of them if not most would correct you if you called them a lady soldier and say "no, I'm a soldier." If you then continued to insist that they were a lady soldier many of them would then put you on your arse.

In most contexts, the term lady is absolutely a compliment. In some, it is not.

Here's the important part. Why get mad at someone for being offended? If the person is blowing it out of proportion and turning around and labeling you a bigot or something, sure I understand that. But if someone just says, "actually I prefer not to be called a lady." Why not just shrug and say "OK" and stop calling them a lady? If your goal is to compliment them, why insist on calling them something that they don't find complimentary?

I haven't actually spoken to any of the current members of the women's team, maybe they would like being called the Lady Golden Eagles. Everyone is different. But from my experience of working with several female athletes (my current supervisor was a collegiate volleyball player) and hundreds of women throughout my life, I would guess that they would be more honored and complimented if you just referred to them as Golden Eagles.

So when do we get the pre-season game by game preview for the women Golden Eagles?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »
So when do we get the pre-season game by game preview for the women Golden Eagles?

You don't. My writing is a hobby that I do for free and while I do follow and cheer for the women's team, I am more passionate and knowledgeable about the men's team. You don't have to be passionate about something in order to show it respect.
TAMU

cheesey

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
Alright alright alright. They have three huge opportunities to build that in non-conference play. They take on #18 Tennessee in Cancun and get #5 Notre Dame and #23 Michigan, unfortunately both on the road. If they can somehow win two of those three and continue their domination of the Big East, we could be talking about a top 10 team by season's end.

Last year in November they beat ASU which was ranked 18 at the time at the Al. Then followed that up 4 days later with a win against #15 Oregon State in Oregon. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
Just as in a lot of other things, context is important.  If you are discussing female people in a social setting, for example, referring to them as "ladies" is usually perfectly fine.  However, if you are talking about them in regards to an area where they have traditionally been marginalized, such as athletics or the business word, using the word "lady" can be seen as condescending or dismissive.  It's why you don't use the term "lady doctor" or "businesslady".   It means, "Yeah, she's a doctor, but she's a lady doctor".

This is an imperfect analogy, but I think this is similar:  I have heard African American men refer to their group of friends as "my boys".  But if a boss pointed over to a group of African American men that he supervises and said "Those are my boys", I don't think it would be taken the same way.

And just like the Lady Vols, the Ladies' championship at Wimbledon keeps the name because of tradition.  The NAACP hasn't changed its name either.

What about apples?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 06:57:22 AM »
What about apples?

Pink ladies may or may not be offensive.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »

How about “when do the chick’s play?”

“Did the chicks win tonight?”

“You going to see the chicks tonight?”

I’m quite certain some chicks would find this language more condescending and disrespectful than “lady.”

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »

Oh GTFO with this garbage.  If you've been around women's sports at a level higher than junior high, you'd notice that it is very common for a group of female athletes to be referred to as "ladies". You've mentioned you bought season tickets for the women's team this year. I guarantee Coach Kieger refers to her team as "ladies" in huddles and when calling out instructions from the sidelines.

I do agree that is dumb to add "Lady" before the mascot name.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »
Oh GTFO with this garbage.  If you've been around women's sports at a level higher than junior high, you'd notice that it is very common for a group of female athletes to be referred to as "ladies". You've mentioned you bought season tickets for the women's team this year. I guarantee Coach Kieger refers to her team as "ladies" in huddles and when calling out instructions from the sidelines.

I do agree that is dumb to add "Lady" before the mascot name.

If you can find one article or Coach Kieger quote in which the women's basketball team is referred to as "ladies", I will retract my statement.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 10:47:14 PM »
How about “when do the chick’s play?”

“Did the chicks win tonight?”

“You going to see the chicks tonight?”

I’m quite certain some chicks would find this language more condescending and disrespectful than “lady.”

I imagine they would too. Good thing no one here has referred to them as chicks.
TAMU