[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Women's BB thread  (Read 15102 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Women's BB thread
« on: October 18, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »
Okay, since none of y'all think it was important enough to get this thread started - what with all the breaking news about meat smoking and fishing  - I decided to.

The women's team is going to be amazing this year and we should start giving them the recognition they deserve.

Let's begin with this -

In the preseason coached poll, Marquette was the unanimous choice to win the conference. 

Allazia Blockton was named preseason Player of the Year

Two other MU players - Erica Davenport and Natasha Heideman - were named Preseason All Big East.

Don't you think they deserve at least as much love as the golf team?

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/101817aaa.html
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Women's BB thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
Yeah they do but sadly Women’s ball is already decided year in and year out with UConn winning it All and it’s not even close.

Happy for the ladies but that’s an insurmountable mountain they have to climb
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
Yeah they do but sadly Women’s ball is already decided year in and year out with UConn winning it All and it’s not even close.

South Carolina is on line 1.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »

So it's not interesting at all unless you think they have a chance to win the national championship?
Have some patience, FFS.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »
year in and year out with UConn winning it All and it’s not even close.

Didn't UCONN lose in the title game last year?

EDIT:  Just checked.  Didn't even make it to title game.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:09:51 PM by TallTitan34 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
Chick and I have decided to get season tickets this year.  The ladies are going to be great.  Even if we only get to 4-5 games when their schedule lines up reasonably well with the guys it'll be worth our commitment.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:13:15 PM »
Coach Kieger was a helluva a hire. I'm excited to watch the ladies dominate all year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
Not only this year, as the team is entirely made up of juniors. Add Tori McCoy into the picture next year (a former five star recruit who transferred from Ohio St.) to the current core, and Marquette may have two legitimate final four caliber teams in 2018-19.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
Not only this year, as the team is entirely made up of juniors. Add Tori McCoy into the picture next year (a former five star recruit who transferred from Ohio St.) to the current core, and Marquette may have two legitimate final four caliber teams in 2018-19.

So you're saying I have still have plenty of time to become a bandwagon fan.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 01:23:18 PM »
So you're saying I have still have plenty of time to become a bandwagon fan.

Might as well get a spot in the front seat.  ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »

19 final fours in the past 26 years and 11 titles but you’re focused on them not making the title game last year?

So it's not interesting at all unless you think they have a chance to win the national championship?

I watch the DePaul games every year but it all just seams pointless when you have UConn and UT combine for 17 of the past 26 titles. You can argue about our men’s team not having a shot at the title every year but at least there’s variation that can still give hope for one of those miracle runs in the tournament. 

Note that this is not an indictment of women’s sports just this level of dominance
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:34:33 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
Chick and I have decided to get season tickets this year.  The ladies are going to be great.  Even if we only get to 4-5 games when their schedule lines up reasonably well with the guys it'll be worth our commitment.
I believe you get a point for women's season tickets added on to your men's bb account.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
I really appreciate Women's basketball.    I go watch a couple of MAC-level games during the season just for fun.   I am looking for defensive techniques and offensive sets that I can teach the grade school teams I coach.    Being on the wrong side of the lake, I only see MU ladies when they are on TV.   I hope they live up to expectations. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
I believe you get a point for women's season tickets added on to your men's bb account.

Yep.  Don't know the exact calculation but do get points.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 01:52:49 PM »
Okay, since none of y'all think it was important enough to get this thread started - what with all the breaking news about meat smoking and fishing  - I decided to.

The women's team is going to be amazing this year and we should start giving them the recognition they deserve.

Let's begin with this -

In the preseason coached poll, Marquette was the unanimous choice to win the conference. 

Allazia Blockton was named preseason Player of the Year

Two other MU players - Erica Davenport and Natasha Heideman - were named Preseason All Big East.

Don't you think they deserve at least as much love as the golf team?

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/101817aaa.html

I do!  YOU GO, GIRL(S)!!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »

A general admission season ticket is $55. By far the cheapest way to pick up points. And it's cumulative in the same way men's season ticket points are.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:12:10 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
A general admission season ticket is $55. By far the cheapest way to pick up points. And it's cumulative in the same way men's season ticket points are.

I'm in. It will be a very fun year.

Speaking of points, Nova announced yesterday that it is moving to a points based seating system for the re-done Feinerman Pavilion.  And they do include Women's bball and Lax season ticket holders for points [including one time "accumulated points credit" for having season tix WBB and several other sports for as far back as they have ticket records: 3 (in the case of Lax), 10 (WBB) or 45 (MBB) years etc.].  Also, people on the waitlist gets points for each year they have been on the list.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 03:06:58 PM »
19 final fours in the past 26 years and 11 titles but you’re focused on them not making the title game last year?

I watch the DePaul games every year but it all just seams pointless when you have UConn and UT combine for 17 of the past 26 titles. You can argue about our men’s team not having a shot at the title every year but at least there’s variation that can still give hope for one of those miracle runs in the tournament. 

Note that this is not an indictment of women’s sports just this level of dominance

I take it, then, that if you had graduated from Marquette in the 60's instead of the 2010's you would have had no interest in Marquette Men's basketball until after John Wooden retired.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:08 PM »

Geno said it was a rebuilding year before the season started last year as the UConn ladies were lead by Freshman.  They still extended their consecutive winning streak to 111 straight games until loosing in the FF.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
I take it, then, that if you had graduated from Marquette in the 60's instead of the 2010's you would have had no interest in Marquette Men's basketball until after John Wooden retired.

Good question, guess I’ll never know
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »

My thoughts exactly. Why route for the Cubs when the Yankees have been in the post season more than half the time over the last century and won the WS more than a quarter of the time.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »
I'm also a first time season ticket holder. Should be very good, think the next two years will be incredible to watch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »
We have been Season tix holders for over 10 years. In the beginning  I wasn't that hep on  womens BB. But it grew on me and I love going. Its even more of a treat sitting right behind the bench like 2 rows up.  I can hear some of what they are doing. Its fun.  I highly recommend getting tix.  Patience is paying off as Coach Carolyn has really brought exciting BB to the AL.. I spoke to her right after she was hired and she said, be patient, you're gonna love our brand of BB.  It is great.. 8-)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Why route for the Cubs when the Yankees have been in the post season more than half the time over the last century and won the WS more than a quarter of the time.

If they become legitimate title threats like the cubs did I’ll start watching more than the annual DePaul games then. Till then consider me annoyed that WBB is essentially a college version of the NBA in terms of talent distribution.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
I'm also a first time season ticket holder. Should be very good, think the next two years will be incredible to watch.
That's excellent to hear! The women need our support.

Women's Basketball Season Ticket Prices
Lower Chair Back Reserved - $100
Lower Bench & Upper (General Admission) - $50

'Family Plan' - Includes 4 season tickets (2 adult, 2 youth) $125 - General Admission
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:13:30 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton