[Today at 08:41:54 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus NOT on the West or Cousey Watch Lists  (Read 4064 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Markus NOT on the West or Cousey Watch Lists
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
Markus Howard, the nation's top 3-point shooter last year, and a 90+% Ft shooter did not make watch list (20 in total) for the Jerry West Award watch list as the nation's top shooting guard.

College basketball: 20 players named to 2018 Jerry West Award watch list
Basketball Hall of Fame
Last Updated - Oct 17, 2017 14:28 EDT
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-10-17/college-basketball-20-players-named-2018-jerry-west-award

The following Big East players are on the list:

Marcus Foster of Creighton
Khadeen Carrington of Seton Hall
Shamorie Ponds of St. Johns

----------------

Ok, Markus is a point guard. 

But he did not make the Bob Cousey watch list (again 20 in total) for the nation's top point guard.

College basketball: 20 players named to 2018 Bob Cousy Award watch list
Basketball Hall of Fame
Last Updated - Oct 17, 2017 14:13 ED
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-10-17/college-basketball-20-players-named-2018-bob-cousy-award

The following Big East players are on the list:

Kyon Cartwright of Providence
Jalen Brunson of Villanova

----------------------

Highway robbery!!

I demand a recount!!!!

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Markus NOT on the West or Cousey Watch Lists
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »
It's all about numbers, and there are plenty of returning PGs and SGs who have better numbers.  Will there be 20 by the end of the year with better numbers?  Let's hope not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT:

As great as Markus' offense is (and it's great), his defense is almost as bad. I wouldn't put him on either of those lists.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »
#FTsNoMatta
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
There are some talented players on those lists. So it’s not an embarrassment to be left off. In some respects it’s a good thing not to have the burden of high expectations . If we win big like I think we will , that means Markus will have played to his potential and he will get plenty of awards.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »
Maybe he didn't meet the age requirement

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »

I have some doubts about the Selectors.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
Players can also be added during the season to these lists.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »

I have some doubts about the Selectors.

Markus 3P% was one of the highest in NCAA history.  He was 3 or 4 makes away from the all-time record.

And he did this in a conference that sent 70% of its members to the tourney.  He shot 57% in conference.

Most of the other names (not all) that were on the list for all-time 3p% were from "buy schools."  Markus arguably did it in the toughest conference in the nation (70% tourney teams metric)

That resume alone should bet him on a pre-season watch list.  So I agree with questioning the selectors.

And this ...

Trevon Bluiett is pre-season first team all-BE ... not on either list.
Markus second team all-BE ... not on either list
List here https://twitter.com/BIGEASTMBB/status/920629116105383936

In total, the first and second team all-BE has five guards, eight if you include the honorable mentions.  None of them is Jalen Brunson.

The Cousey award selectors picked Brunson and might have named the 9th best point guard in the BE to their watch list as one of the nation's best PGs. Either that or the all-BE list is bogus.  If both are correct ... how does that work?

All I'm saying is this stuff is wildly inconsistent ... largely because it is all made up BS.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:33:37 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
No chit, y’all need ta rain it in. The cat’s a young, 5’9” soph. Man, just let da kid play. He ain’t no pro now, butt may bee in 3 years. Crazy talk here most times, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
Markus 3P% was one of the highest in NCAA history.  He was 3 or 4 makes away from the all-time record.

And he did this in a conference that sent 70% of its members to the tourney.  He shot 57% in conference.

Most of the other names (not all) that were on the list for all-time 3p% were from "buy schools."  Markus arguably did it in the toughest conference in the nation (70% tourney teams metric)

That resume alone should bet him on a pre-season watch list.  So I agree with questioning the selectors.

And this ...

Markus second team all-BE ... not on either list
List here https://twitter.com/BIGEASTMBB/status/920629116105383936

In total, the first and second team all-BE has five guards, eight if you include the honorable mentions.  None of them is Jalen Brunson.

The Cousey award selectors picked Brunson and might have named the 9th best point guard in the BE to their watch list as one of the nation's best PGs. Either that or the all-BE list is bogus.  If both are correct ... how does that work?

All I'm saying is this stuff is wildly inconsistent ... largely because it is all made up BS.

There were 5 guards, 8 if including honorable mention, on Preseason All Big East teams with none of them being Jalen Brunson because...Jalen Brunson is the BE Preseason POY.  He wasn't voted the 9th (at best) best guard in the BE.  He was voted the very first best guard/player in the BE.

You literally get everything you post wrong.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:43:25 AM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »
There were 5 guards, 8 if including honorable mention, on Preseason All Big East teams with none of them being Jalen Brunson because...Jalen Brunson is the BE Preseason POY.  He wasn't voted the 9th (at best) best guard in the BE.  He was voted the very first best guard/player in the BE.

You literally get everything you post wrong.

So the BE POY list means you cannot also be on the all-BE at the same time?  These are mutually exclusive lists?  How do you know this?

And I did not get everything wrong ... you actually did if you cannot show that POY candidates are purposely excluded from the All-BE list.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
So the BE POY list means you cannot also be on the all-BE at the same time?  These are mutually exclusive lists?  How do you know this?

And I did not get everything wrong ... you actually did if you cannot show that POY candidates are purposely excluded from the All-BE list.

Lol.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
And yet, somehow, inexplicably, the sun came up today.   If Howard plays well enough, he will be recognized.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »

Another one. Elite offense, terrible defense. He also plays as a wing and even a PF in X's system.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »
And yet, somehow, inexplicably, the sun came up today.   If Howard plays well enough, he will be recognized.

But then I guess they're saying he didn't play well enough Last year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »

Awesome! 
I can't remember the last time I heard, "I know you are, but what am I".

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »

Are you being serious? That's how it's been done at least the past three years running now. Player of the Year, then the First Team. I guess the answer to "how do you know this" is "wades doesn't have his head up his ass."

2016: http://www.bigeast.com/news/2016/10/10/MBB_1010163751.aspx

Quote from: Big East
Villanova guard Josh Hart has been chosen the 2016-17 BIG EAST Preseason Player of the Year by a vote of the league’s head coaches...

The 2016-17 Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team includes Villanova forward Kris Jenkins, a unanimous selection, Xavier guards Trevon Bluiett and Edmond Sumner, Butler forward Kelan Martin and Creighton guard Maurice Watson Jr.

2015: http://www.bigeast.com/news/2015/10/13/MBB_1013153109.aspx

Quote from: Big East
Providence guard Kris Dunn has been selected 2015-16 BIG EAST Preseason Player of the Year by a vote of the league’s head coaches...

The 2015-16 Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team includes Villanova’s Arcidiacono, Georgetown’s D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Xavier’s Jalen Reynolds and two Butler standouts, Kellen Dunham and Roosevelt Jones.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
The news had not reached his Moscow basement.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
Are you being serious? That's how it's been done at least the past three years running now. Player of the Year, then the First Team. I guess the answer to "how do you know this" is "wades doesn't have his head up his ass."

2016: http://www.bigeast.com/news/2016/10/10/MBB_1010163751.aspx

2015: http://www.bigeast.com/news/2015/10/13/MBB_1013153109.aspx

Yup.  I mean, even if I didn't know that is how it goes, simple common sense would be reason enough.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
There is no “I” in team, and there is no “E” in Cousy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 10:33:45 PM »
There is no “I” in team, and there is no “E” in Cousy.

Shyte, you beat me to it.

I was wondering who this Cousey guy was, and why he had an award named after him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 10:49:32 PM »
Lol didn’t even notice that part. Just keeps getting better. Nothing is ever right in Heise’d posts but he sure does post confidently!

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »
Yup.  I mean, even if I didn't know that is how it goes, simple common sense would be reason enough.

This is true but give jigawatts a break, the preseason list is ambiguous and the final thing always assigns the first team specifically (I think 6) then picks the POY from them. Correct me if I'm wrong ... but PLEASE have Mercy  ;D

Jigawatts you can't argue BE and MU BB minutae with this crowd , they are too good.

feedback