Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE Could Expand to 20 League Games Soon  (Read 2393 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
BE Could Expand to 20 League Games Soon
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
..but only if an 11th team is added.

Rothstein is usually fairly in the know, and his article makes it seem like this may actually still be in the works.  Love the idea of a 20 game league schedule if it means UCONN joins the league.  Outside of them, I don't see a good fit. I know this has been discussed at length here before, but thought I'd share..

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-big-east-could-play-20-conference-games-if-it-adds-11th-team/

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: BE Could Expand to 20 League Games Soon
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »
This would be great as it would hopefully knock 2 out of conference cupcakes off the schedule. Of course, it could just as easily knock 2 legitimate opponents off and replace them with 2 in conference cupcakes.

Still, intriguing idea

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
This is non-news.  It only says they "could" be going to a 20 game season "but only if" they add another team.  Nothing on the likelihood of that ever happening.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
This is non-news.  It only says they "could" be going to a 20 game season "but only if" they add another team.  Nothing on the likelihood of that ever happening.

Okay, between that and "M2N could shoot 60% from 3 this year", I think it is time for this:

Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
This does tell us that they are still looking at the idea of expansion. I'm of the opinion that the only really viable options are UConn or Notre Dame, both of which I view as so unlikely that they aren't even really worth considering, but if you can get either (again, I do not think it is realistic) you go for it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »
Notre Dame will not be realistic in the near future. UConn? Give it time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
This does tell us that they are still looking at the idea of expansion. I'm of the opinion that the only really viable options are UConn or Notre Dame, both of which I view as so unlikely that they aren't even really worth considering, but if you can get either (again, I do not think it is realistic) you go for it.

UCONN is possible. Notre Dame ship has sailed, they are not coming back.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
I would rarely ever consider Rothstein in the know. I think his source from the very beginning continues to be UCONN trying to push their agenda.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
I would rarely ever consider Rothstein in the know. I think his source from the very beginning continues to be UCONN trying to push their agenda.

What agenda is UConn pushing?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
UConn will be welcomed into the Big East with open arms if they ever drop football, but no sooner than that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
What agenda is UConn pushing?

They found themselves without a good chair when conference realignment happened and they are trying to find something better than the AAC to put their non-football programs. UConn is trying to kick a bunch of tires through the media to get someone to bite on inviting them into their conference so they aren't stuck with the rest of the dregs.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
They found themselves without a good chair when conference realignment happened and they are trying to find something better than the AAC to put their non-football programs. UConn is trying to kick a bunch of tires through the media to get someone to bite on inviting them into their conference so they aren't stuck with the rest of the dregs.
you know this but the people running major conferences don't?

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 02:20:38 PM »

I don't understand how threatening to leave the AAC to join the BE is going to get other conferences to take a look at them harder.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »
UConn isn't moving until the next AAC contract is decided.  If it - with football - is still less, or equal, to the current BE deal, then they have incentive to move.  They made the decision to tread water during this period of alignment.  They have been operating via the exit fees from the OBE, as well increased student fees, to try and keep things afloat.  If the next deal doesn't substantially improve, they will need to look at alternative ways of making more money (and going to a non-football conference for more money with closer/regional rivals would certainly fit the bill). 

UConn, currently, is in an interesting spot.  Their current AD, who is a huge football guy, may get poached to go to Auburn (where he was prior).  If that happens, UConn would be looking at its fourth AD since 2011.  Football has been awful since Edsall left (originally).  If he can't right the ship, the pursuit of football at the school may cease.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
I recognize the desirability of UConn from a basketball perspective.    However, IMO, only basketball-only schools.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.