Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Crean has a new gig  (Read 5500 times)

tower912

• All American
Coach Crean has a new gig
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/920024863716401154

This is going to be a fun thread.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Coach Crean has a new gig
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
I think the studio suits him better. He can come up with a game plan and stick to that. Doing a game, if it doesn't go according to the script, he may be a little lost out there.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »
This sheds new light on Wade recently being seen sporting ESPN shorts.

A quote from TC:

"You don't think that Dwayne wanted to go to ESPN?  Dwayne would have crawled on his hands and knees over hot coals to go to ESPN."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
More reason to be glad that we're on Fox Sports.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
It's a good spot for him.  Who knows, he may end up liking that more than coaching.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
More reason to be glad that we're on Fox Sports.

ESPN doing Maui games, ai-na.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
It's ESPN! It's ESPN!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
My guess is he is let go by week 8, after he says the exact same thing every day for the first 7 weeks
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
My guess is he is let go by week 8, after he says the exact same thing every day for the first 7 weeks

I don't think you've seen him on television. What you describe is not his persona at all.

ESPN executives fell in love with his performance for The Vertical at the NBA Draft. They see someone who can relate the details of the game into an accessible manner for the people watching who often are of limited intelligence like some above.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:10:54 AM by Golden Avalanche »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
As expected... work for free, get experience & keep your name out there.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
"Watching ESPN in 1979 is really what got me interested in broadcasting."

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »
"Watching ESPN in 1979 is really what got me interested in broadcasting."

Nicely played.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »
Officially now dunn wit da 4 letter network, hey?

Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
I don't think you've seen him on television. What you describe is not his persona at all.

ESPN executives fell in love with his performance for The Vertical at the NBA Draft. They see someone who can relate the details of the game into an accessible manner for the people watching who often are of limited intelligence like some above.

Listened to his coaches show for about 3 years, where he said the same robotic coach speak every show every time.  Personality of a card board box. 
Truly enjoyed listening to oneil, deane buzz and others.  Looked foward to their shows and hearing about them and the team.  Completely, stopped listening to Crean's incredibky boring and unintelligent.  To each his own, he will probably fit in well at ESPN

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »
Listened to his coaches show for about 3 years, where he said the same robotic coach speak every show every time.  Personality of a card board box. 
Truly enjoyed listening to oneil, deane buzz and others.  Looked foward to their shows and hearing about them and the team.  Completely, stopped listening to Crean's incredibky boring and unintelligent.  To each his own, he will probably fit in well at ESPN

+1000. Many of Marquette's coaching fraternity have been interesting guys with big personalities. Al, Rick, KO, Deane and Buzz qualify. Put TC's personality into a thimble and there's lots of room left over. I've never heard the guy speak any language other than "coach speak". Boring and predictable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »
+1000. Many of Marquette's coaching fraternity have been interesting guys with big personalities. Al, Rick, KO, Deane and Buzz qualify. Put TC's personality into a thimble and there's lots of room left over. I've never heard the guy speak any language other than "coach speak". Boring and predictable.

Agreed.

I don't listen much to even the good announcers, as I regularly watch games at bars with friends or fast-forward on the DVR at home. So I sure a shootin' ain't gonna be listening much to this vanilla bore ... especially with MU on FS1.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
Since he isn't a head coach at another institution this year, there shouldn't be any conflict of interest in making good on that $100k Valley Fields donation now right?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
Crean can actually be pretty fun and engaging in the right circumstances.
Check out the interview he did with Pardon My Take a few months back, for example.
I think he'll do well at ESPN.
And I think some people need to get over it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Hahahaha. That's a good one. Some people will NEVER get over TC.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
Hahahaha. That's a good one. Some people will NEVER get over TC.

It's ironic because listening to Wojo coachspeak his way through every single interview is worse than watching paint dry. I guess when he moves on from MU one day there will be a thread about that?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
I agree that Wojo's interviews are as dry as Crean's.    How Wojo is perceived when he leaves will depend on the nature of his departure. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
I agree that Wojo's interviews are as dry as Crean's.    How Wojo is perceived when he leaves will depend on the nature of his departure.

As well as how the next 2 years go. The team looks primed for a deep run in 2019, can he capitalize on his patient, measured, roster construction?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
It's ironic because listening to Wojo coachspeak his way through every single interview is worse than watching paint dry. I guess when he moves on from MU one day there will be a thread about that?

Like TC, Wojo is long on coach speak and short on personality. Unlike TC, he doesn't seem to be a pr!ck. Until Wojo starts berating the waitstaff at his club, doling out all the summer camp trophies to his kids, screaming at other team's assistants in public, bullying the young people in the athletic office, etc., etc., etc., I can live with his bland personality. And I won't care about how he exits - but I didn't care how TC left either - I was just grateful that he left, period.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 03:20:21 PM »

True dat.

Al, Majerus and KO spoiled us. Buzz could be fun when one got past the phoniness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »
Like TC, Wojo is long on coach speak and short on personality. Unlike TC, he doesn't seem to be a pr!ck. Until Wojo starts berating the waitstaff at his club, doling out all the summer camp trophies to his kids, screaming at other team's assistants in public, bullying the young people in the athletic office, etc., etc., etc., I can live with his bland personality. And I won't care about how he exits - but I didn't care how TC left either - I was just grateful that he left, period.

I was there for the last year of TC's tenure. Where did you hear this?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »

As I suspected, you haven't listened to him on television as an analyst so your thoughts (and those of other bitter Marquette fans who haven't seen him in his new role) are irrelevant to the discussion.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Crean can actually be pretty fun and engaging in the right circumstances.
Check out the interview he did with Pardon My Take a few months back, for example.
I think he'll do well at ESPN.

The guy is boring nothing to get over.  Do i think buzz or ko or anyother mu choaches that left are boring?... no.
Fail

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »

+1000 after about 5 years of the NITs and ncaa first round embarrassments i was more than done. 
Tap u forgot the refusal to shake other coaches hands and the post game tantrums that led to blowing off press conferences n radio.  Pure ahole

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
As I suspected, you haven't listened to him on television as an analyst so your thoughts (and those of other bitter Marquette fans who haven't seen him in his new role) are irrelevant to the discussion.

I've heard him 'Lanche - unimpressed. Maybe over time he'll get better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »
He was charming and funny at the 100 year celebration.  Who knows?  Maybe with the lack of pressure he will become informative and entertaining.  It worked for Nick Faldo.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »
I was there for the last year of TC's tenure. Where did you hear this?

Multiple sources - there also was a poster (here or Dodds, not sure which) who was one of the "abused". Even his staunchest defender (Chico) conceded he was a total pr!ck to work for.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:48 PM »
Multiple sources - there also was a poster (here or Dodds, not sure which) who was one of the "abused". Even his staunchest defender (Chico) conceded he was a total pr!ck to work for.

I've heard that for the full time staff but by "young people" I assumed you meant the student staff. Never heard or experienced anything of the sort.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:33 PM »
Edit:  crean sucks

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 08:17:34 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback