[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: North Carolina Sanctions Coming Out Today  (Read 10991 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: North Carolina Sanctions Coming Out Today
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Were "enrolled student-athletes" part of the fraud?  If yes, then they violated bylaw 10.1. 

The other students committed fraud argument is not a legal defense of bylaw 10.1.

I think all of us other than chicas know this was a violation.

She probably does as well, but just wants to argue.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »

Calling someone a woman is not an insult. C'mon Jockey you should know better.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2017, 06:37:29 PM »

I've spent way too much time on this board arguing with Chico, but as much as it pains me to say it, he has this one right. Did UNC violate the spirit of the bylaw? You bet. Are they despicable? Yep. But the loophole they're escaping through is clear and real, sad to say.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:40:31 PM by Quentin's Tap »

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
We all hate it.  Want to change it, then schools like ours, the membership, have to do something about it.  We make the rules. 

The bigger picture   http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/north-carolina-tar-heels-academic-fraud-scandal-ncaa-violations-roy-williams-news-update/x6ubn77xmuxr1ksbe4d38wgbq?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »
Calling someone a woman is not an insult. C'mon Jockey you should know better.

He doesn't. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2017, 08:52:54 PM »
I've spent way too much time on this board arguing with Chico, but as much as it pains me to say it, he has this one right. Did UNC violate the spirit of the bylaw? You bet. Are they despicable? Yep. But the loophole they're escaping through is clear and real, sad to say.

Agreed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
What will this do to UNC's USNWR ranking???

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2017, 10:56:15 AM »
I haven't followed this whole thread so maybe it was shared before, but apparently the journalist who is responsible for exposing this story spoke to the "normal students" that took these "fake" classes actually had to attend the classes and were graded on the real work that they did throughout the semester.  If that's true then the NCAA definitely should have had a case against UNC.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
I haven't followed this whole thread so maybe it was shared before, but apparently the journalist who is responsible for exposing this story spoke to the "normal students" that took these "fake" classes actually had to attend the classes and were graded on the real work that they did throughout the semester.  If that's true then the NCAA definitely should have had a case against UNC.

That would be the first I’ve ever heard of that. And, if true, would be a pretty obvious violation. I’d be interested to see the source for that. It’s pretty different than everything I recall seeing elsewhere.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »
That would be the first I’ve ever heard of that. And, if true, would be a pretty obvious violation. I’d be interested to see the source for that. It’s pretty different than everything I recall seeing elsewhere.

Matt Norlander said it on his and Gary Parish's CBS Sports Eye on College Basketball podcast that they released late last night.  He said that the person who broke this was a journalist who was relentless with his investigation for over the past 4-5 years.  He said the guy was part of the UNC conference call and that the NCAA infractions committee (I think it was, anyway?) basically told him "We could really use you on our team."  He said that that guy reports that he interviewed many "common students" who took the same "fraudulent classes" and were required to do, and were fully graded on, much more work than the two 800 word essays that the student athletes were required to complete in their semester of work.  I'm not sure if he's written anything on it, though.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/swf/audio/AudioPlayer.swf?playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fpodcasts.cstv.com%2Ffeeds%2Fmensbasketball.xml&hostname=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com&avEnabled=true&autoplay=true&isPopout=true&seekTo=0

I could be misinterpreting what he's saying.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »
What about the grade changes for student athletes? Didn't the 2012 report find that there had been upward of 500 unauthorized grade changes for student athletes? I can't imagine they were doing that for non-athletes as well. I ask this fully admitting that I only know the basics of this case and could be missing something entirely.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
Bottom line, NCAA didn't want to enforce for anything so they didn't find anything they could enforce on. Same thing is going to happen with Baylor.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
Having listened to a Ringer podcast by the very biased Tate Frazier and neutral Mark Titus, it appears that there was no paper trail showing that UNC men's hoops coordinated with this class.  However there is that paper trail for UNC football & women's hoops.  Will be interesting to see if they get any penalties.

I'm of the opinion this is a slippery slope.  As a COMM major my classes were filled with basketball players.  I doubt they all walked on campus and said hey coach I have a passion for a wide range of disciplines that include strategic communication, digital media and performing arts, communication studies, journalism and media studies.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »
Pretty lucid post for a com major:)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »

you couldn't carry "chicas" jockstrap there jockey boy.  this is an excellent example of the blind hatred on this board.  some here cannot handle a good point and kills them to admit it when coming from a polar opposite.  a big thumbs up to quentin for showing some humility. 

don't...don't don't don't don't