[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Committee To Save College Basketball  (Read 19243 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Committee To Save College Basketball
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
Too many "high profile" types that bring little to the table (Condi Rice, David Robinson, Grant Hill).

Geno Smith is the problem, not part of the solution.  Unless his job is to explain to the committee how tOSU efficiently and regularly breaks the law.

JTII is the problem, not part of the solution.  Unless his job is to explain to the committee how the sneaker companies bought him.

https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/status/918180576179425280

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: The Committee To Save College Basketball
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
Well, if they were looking to answer the question, "How can we appear to be addressing corruption within college basketball without actually penalizing or hurting our bottom dollar?", then they hit a home run.

Didn't anyone learn anything from putting Rice on the CFP selection committee???

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »
Geno Smith is the problem, not part of the solution.  Unless his job is to explain to the committee how tOSU efficiently and regularly breaks the law.

Just ask the Jets!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:13:36 PM »
Too many "high profile" types that bring little to the table (Condi Rice, David Robinson, Grant Hill).

JTII is the problem, not part of the solution.  Unless his job is to explain to the committee how the sneaker companies bought him.

Also, not to go all MU82/Dusty Baker on you  ;) but you do realize that you specifically called out the 5 minority members of the board as being unqualified or "the problem," right?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »
Also, not to go all MU82/Dusty Baker on you  ;) but you do realize that you specifically called out the 5 minority members of the board as being unqualified or "the problem," right?

Oops...I'm sure that was purely by coincidence.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »

Holy crap you're right. A committee of 14 and he calls out the only 5 non-white people in the group but no others. I honestly don't think it was intentional but that is both hilarious and concerning at the same time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »
Holy crap you're right. A committee of 14 and he calls out the only 5 non-white people in the group but no others. I honestly don't think it was intentional but that is both hilarious and concerning at the same time.

For the record, I don't mean to insinuate that 1.21 is racist. After all, those are probably the 5 most recognizable names on the list (to sports fans anyway). I just found it to be note-worthy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
For the record, I don't mean to insinuate that 1.21 is racist. After all, those are probably the 5 most recognizable names on the list (to sports fans anyway). I just found it to be note-worthy.

To be fair, I have seen more than one person in the media suggest that Condi Rice is not black.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:50:57 PM »

Oh absolutely agree.  It's a funny/interesting coincidence.  And I'm not interested in going any further down this rabbit hole
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
For the record, I don't mean to insinuate that 1.21 is racist.

But you kind of did, didn't you?  And so am I, sort of?

In a population of 14, there are only 16,382 possible subsets... so by the raw numbers, the likelihood that 1.21 called out the five minorities on the committee as "the problem" by sheer coincidence is somewhere between being struck by lightning sometime during your lifetime (1 in 12,000) and dying on the job (1 in 18,000).

And I reject the rationale of those 5 being the most recognizable names.  The biggest problem on that entire list is Mark Emmert, and the odds of 1.21 not recognizing his name are probably worse than 16,382 to 1.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:15:49 PM »

Glad to see identity politics is alive and well here.  Keep it up and the 22nd amendment will be suspended so Trump can be the permanent President.

But if counting Black v White is how you measure things, and Benny you worry me, then here ...

Mark Emmert is nothing but a useless bags of chemicals.  Why is he even allowed to take in oxygen

Jenkins is there to be the Holy than thou looking down on everyone condescendingly

Kathryn Ruemmier is the worst kind of person in the world, one of those "swamp" creatures that infect Washington.  Here resume alone should make one vomit.

Foley, another person that can tell everyone "back in the day" stories about how the Gators arranged bags of cash for players.  Is he qualified because Florida leads all D1 sports in the number of arrests every year?

Coleman .... why???

Peterson .... why???

Oh, and for the record ...

* I think Condi is great and would vote for her if she ran for President.  This ceremonial do nothing committee is behenate her. 

* Hill and Robinson bring too little to the table because a high PPG average or a long NBA career does not make you qualified to fixed the cheating and paying of players in college basketball.  Good people on the wrong committee picked for name value, not the ability to solve this problem.

* I offer no more explanation for my comments about Smith and JTIII.  The sooner Smith is in prison the sooner college sports are better off.  You can take this to the Tatoo parlor!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:20:46 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:25 PM »
Glad to see identity politics is alive and well here.  Keep it up and the 22nd amendment will be suspended so Trump can be the permanent President.

But if counting Black v White is how you measure things, and Benny you worry me, then here ...

Mark Emmert is nothing but a useless bags of chemicals.  Why is he even allowed to take in oxygen

Jenkins is there to be the Holy than thou looking down on everyone condescendingly

Kathryn Ruemmier is the worst kind of person in the world, one of those "swamp" creatures that infect Washington.  Here resume alone should make one vomit.

Foley, another person that can tell every "back in the day" stories about how the Gators arranged bags of cash for players.

Coleman .... why???

Peterson .... why???

* I think Condi is great and would for her if she ran for President.  This ceremonial do nothing committee is behenate her. 

* Hill and Robinson bring too little to the table because a high PPG average or a long NBA career does not make you qualified to fixed the cheating and paying of players in college basketball.  Good people on the wrong committee picked for name value, not the ability to solve this problem.

* I offer no more explanation for my comments about Smith and JTIII.  The sooner Smith is in prison the sooner college sports are better off.  You can take this to the Tatoo parlor!!
Don’t let a bunch of phony bleeding heart liberals intimidate you. Your opening post was sound. The reality though is all blue ribbon commissions are made for pr reasons. There is usually a staff person behind the scenes doing the actual work.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:00:14 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
Just ask the Jets!

He's on the WINLESS Giants!  Someone should break your jaw over this mistake.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
In B4 da lock, hey?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »

Foley, another person that can tell everyone "back in the day" stories about how the Gators arranged bags of cash for players.  Is he qualified because Florida leads all D1 sports in the number of arrests every year?

Coleman .... why???

Peterson .... why???

* I think Condi is great and would vote for her if she ran for President.  This ceremonial do nothing committee is behenate her. 

This further explanation almost seems to reaffirm the initial inferred concerns. If you had these rationalizations against all these folks, do you find it interesting that you inadvertantly picked out the 5 non-whites to document your dislike of the commitee?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 05:15:21 PM »
He's on the WINLESS Giants!  Someone should break your jaw over this mistake.

True...but he was thought to be the Jets' solution first!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »

Your massively defensive post seems even more revealing that what initially appeared to be an amusing coincidence. There's a whole lot of protesting too much going on rather than accepting what seemed to be a coincidence.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
Your massively defensive post seems even more revealing that what initially appeared to be an amusing coincidence. There's a whole lot of protesting too much going on rather than accepting what seemed to be a coincidence.

Exactly.  Shakespeare said it best.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »
This further explanation almost seems to reaffirm the initial inferred concerns. If you had these rationalizations against all these folks, do you find it interesting that you inadvertantly picked out the 5 non-whites to document your dislike of the commitee?

I thought what I did was comment on the five most well-known names, and that is why I stopped there.  The fact they were the only African Americans on the committee, and the fact you figured this out, it and genuinely seemed concerned about it, reflect on your views and your insecurities. 

(if it matters, and I know it does not, I "forgot" Smith was Black.  I looked at him as the kingpin that is the criminal organization known as tOSU athletics, his race never occurred to me.  Their violations list deep, long and impressive.  And if it further matters, I think Condi is one of the most impressive people in this country and this dog and pony show is not worth her time.)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:16 PM »
Well, if they were looking to answer the question, "How can we appear to be addressing corruption within college basketball without actually penalizing or hurting our bottom dollar?", then they hit a home run.

Didn't anyone learn anything from putting Rice on the CFP selection committee???

Good post!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 02:03:14 AM »
I thought what I did was comment on the five most well-known names, and that is why I stopped there.  The fact they were the only African Americans on the committee, and the fact you figured this out, it and genuinely seemed concerned about it, reflect on your views and your insecurities. 

(if it matters, and I know it does not, I "forgot" Smith was Black.  I looked at him as the kingpin that is the criminal organization known as tOSU athletics, his race never occurred to me.  Their violations list deep, long and impressive.  And if it further matters, I think Condi is one of the most impressive people in this country and this dog and pony show is not worth her time.)

I accept your explanation (though I will point out that it wasn't me that pointed out first that they were the only and all of the African Americans on the list).

Call it insecurity or call it attentiveness, but as a white man I am trying to explore my own inherent biases when I unknowingly do or say something that can be perceived as unequal, unfair or even racist. I'm trying to be willing to look in my own mirror, and it's not always easy or comfortable.

I'm not trying to chastise you. There's enough blame being thrown around our world.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 04:30:21 AM »

Wait, didn't you call her one of the '"high profile" types that bring little to the table'?

Just change your name again and move on.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:45:40 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »
Wait, didn't you call her one of the '"high profile" types that bring little to the table'?

Just change your name again and move on.

Yes, she is an impressive person but her skill set is not what is needed in this case.  This she brings little to the table other that a “star power” name.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 07:39:43 AM »
Don’t let a bunch of phony bleeding heart liberals intimidate you.
Tex is right, Heisy.  After all, we know there are "some very fine people" on your side too.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »
Hi guys was able to get some wifi in a friends office here in my home town. Signal is intermittent, but it'll do. Glad to see scoop has not changed  ;D
Goal is National Championship