[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One and Done or 4 Year Stud?  (Read 5664 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
One and Done or 4 Year Stud?
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:35:16 PM »
Someone posed a question to me today that I thought was valid. We know we are all in on Quentin Grimes. It also seems like we are at least kicking the tires on Courtney Ramey. Grimes projects as a one and done that could possibly propel us into a second weekend or even final four appearance. Ramey is no slouch himself, a top 40 player but is likely to be a four year player who could be a solid backup or even starter his first season before developing into a multi-year starter....possibly being even more talented as a junior/senior than Grimes would be as a freshman.

Which player does Marquette need more right now?

Now obviously we aren't going to stop recruiting Grimes and will take him if he commits. But in a theoretical world world where you were guaranteed one or the other, which would you take for Marquette?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
Re: One and Done or 4 Year Stud?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
Take the best player. There are never any guarantees for the future. The player you think will be around to develop and contribute for four years could be a bust, transfer to another school or suffer an injury. Grimes, no question.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »
I generally lean toward the 4-year players, but RIGHT NOW I'd go for QG.  Barring injuries or major transfers, we could be VERY good for the one year he'd presumably be here - Hanny as a Sr., Marcus and Sam as Jrs., QG and Joey as Frosh.  If QG and Joey are as good as advertised, and we get anything out of our incoming guys when they are Sophomores, we could be looking at a big season in '18-'19.

And the Final Four is just up the road in Minneapolis.... :D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:56:26 PM »
Grimes
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »
Where there is smoke there is fire. Stay away from Ramey.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »
Grimes

Where was Wojo sitting this weekend?  Under the basket watching Grimes at USA Basketball in Colorado.  I would say he is all in, and then some on this one.  Grimes
even stated he could play with Marcus Howard and a junior, senior ladden team, maybe juniors.  He knows he would be a good fit.  Hope the weather holds up for a
few weeks.  The new arena is impressive that is for sure.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
Just not sure the reads here are right...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »
I would take QG, I think it’d show Henry wasn’t a fluke and begin to open up the door to some other studs taking us seriously. Especially if we actually do something great with QG
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:29:39 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:27:58 AM »
Take the best player. There are never any guarantees for the future. The player you think will be around to develop and contribute for four years could be a bust, transfer to another school or suffer an injury. Grimes, no question.

Absolutely take the Best Player.  Hard to project 4 years out.  Remember that old saying "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:47:36 AM »
Just not sure the reads here are right...

Do you have them both as one and dones? Or neither?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »
If it's a back court one and done, I would take them over a 4 year stud....if it's a front court one and done, make me down for the 4 year stud. It's just about development cycle and what kind of meaningful impact can be had in a single year and front court players develop later/slower than back court guys.

So I'm all in on Grimes....FForGTFO
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 07:58:40 AM »
For Wojos sake and his longevity at MU, landing QG would be huge. Out gunning blue bloods, second 5 star player in young tenure, paving the way for potentially additional 5 stars,etc.

However, for MUBB's sake, I would take four years of Sam Hauser over one year of Henry.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »
To the general point, I'd prefer the 4 year guy to the one and done guys, who are generally not as good in their one year as a very good player is in his fourth.  But that is with hindsight knowledge.  I agree you go for whoever you think is the best player.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »
Grimes. He fits the roster perfectly.  I think it's a coin flip if he is one and done or two and done.  Marquette has a chance to be really good in that 1-2 year window, maybe even Final 4 good.

Grimes can also break the ice for out of state 5 stars. Getting the first one is always the hardest. Get Grimes and other out of state 5 stars consider MU more seriously.

That said, Courtney Ramey would be a hell of a consolation prize.  If Ramey waits until spring and Marquette has 2 transfers, maybe Wojo can get both.   8-)

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
I am finding it hard to find 1 transfer and you are talking about 2 of them?  Interesting.  It will be a tough decision on this one for sure.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »
For Wojos sake and his longevity at MU, landing QG would be huge. Out gunning blue bloods, second 5 star player in young tenure, paving the way for potentially additional 5 stars,etc.

However, for MUBB's sake, I would take four years of Sam Hauser over one year of Henry.

Isn't that just because Henry was the difference between an 8 win team and the 16 or so we ended up with?  If he was the difference from a 16 win team to a Sweet 16 run, we'd all feel differently about him.

Note that I completely agree with your assessment, I feel no general affinity towards Henry.  If Quentin loses in the first round of the NCAAs, I imagine he will similarly be forgotten.  I'll take the chance with Grimes all day, though.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »
Thing is, it doesn't work that way.  You never know how things will play out, so you take the more talented player every time.  But if Grimes isn't willing to make a decision in the next several weeks, I likely don't pass on Ramey if he wants to commit to Marquette.  It'd suck to pass on Ramey at the 1/3 chance (at best) of landing Grimes, and then he chooses Kansas or Kentucky in the spring.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Isn't that just because Henry was the difference between an 8 win team and the 16 or so we ended up with?  If he was the difference from a 16 win team to a Sweet 16 run, we'd all feel differently about him.

Note that I completely agree with your assessment, I feel no general affinity towards Henry.  If Quentin loses in the first round of the NCAAs, I imagine he will similarly be forgotten.  I'll take the chance with Grimes all day, though.

We had 20wins under Henry. Shouldn’t a 20win season that you associate as being about 16 tell you about his impact? If we had beaten DePaul and Belmont and at least been an NIT team I’m sure people would associate Henry with bringing MU back from the brink but as it is I’d say Howard is most likely to get that association.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
Will just say this for now ---

If QG goes to MU I will be delighted. However, I'm at least equally as pleased that Joey is coming. And I mean that from an evaluation / objective perspective.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
We had 20wins under Henry. Shouldn’t a 20win season that you associate as being about 16 tell you about his impact? If we had beaten DePaul and Belmont and at least been an NIT team I’m sure people would associate Henry with bringing MU back from the brink but as it is I’d say Howard is most likely to get that association.

Good catch, I'd completely forgotten we had that many wins with Henry and obviously did no homework.  Those years will be looked on as "the lost years" and lumped together with the Buzz departure year and rebuilding.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
I am finding it hard to find 1 transfer and you are talking about 2 of them?  Interesting.  It will be a tough decision on this one for sure.

At this time last year, who knew Carter and Cohen would transfer at semester?  Let it play out.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »
I could see Cohen for sure last year.  Carter was a surprise.  With 2 juniors, no reason for them to leave, it gets down to Froling or Howard going pro, Anim sat out
a year, Hauser is going nowhere, then the 4 frosh.  It could be of them if they get homesick, see what happens is exactly right.  Bailey??

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
Respect the process.  Cross the bridge when you come to it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 11:57:59 AM »
Take  the best player, especially if you're in a position to win now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Divorcing from names, I take the better player when you consider our situation. The consensus is that we are a top-25 and potential second weekend team with or without a one-and-done.

Landing a one-and-done turned a likely 12-15 win team in 2016 into a 20 win team with Henry. Landing that type of player on a team already expecting to play deep into March could make us a title contender.

If you are building for the future and have low expectations, go for the four-year guy. But if you're to the point of win-now, may as well try to win it all.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.