[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Youtube TV Vs Ps Vue  (Read 7224 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Youtube TV Vs Ps Vue
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
So quite a while ago I made a post about Ps Vue. Since that time a lot has changed and I feel with the soon start of college basketball, the MLB playoffs, and the addition of Southeastern Wisconsin into youtube tv, its a perfect time to open a new discussion.

The real question is what do both of these systems bring to the table? So lets break it down.

First is the biggest change since our original discussion, the addition of local tv (Fox, Cbs, Nbc, Abc) This was a huge drawback for many when PSVue first went national. The good news is that both youtube tv and PSVue now have these 4 channels. Youtube now offers this for $35 a month, the price PSVue was without local channels. PsVue has upped its sports package from $35 to $45 since the addition of these channels, as well as not offering full availabilty to NBC. There is a $40 package on Vue, but its worthless for those of us who love sports.

So we have two packages to compare. The $35 (and only one) from youtube, and the $45 "Core" from PSVue.

For sports, we have a very wide range of channels these both offer, and you will miss out on something with either one you pick. Starting out, for us Marquette fans there is no clear choice as both offer espn, espn2, espn U, Espn news, Fox sports 1, Fox sports 2, and CBS sports you will never miss a Marquette game. For those who have had Psvue in the past you know all to well about the dreaded Depaul and Seton Hall games that would air on cbs sports that we would have to find an online stream to. That has mpw changed in PsVue's package as they have finally added it.

Going beyond Marquette basketball, things get more sporadic. boths providers offer NBCSN, Big Ten Network, NBC Golf, and the olympic channel. Youtube Tv offers fox sports Wisconsin and fox sports Wisconsin Plus. As well as the SEC network and the tennis channel. While PS Vue has the more mainstream MLB Network, NBA Tv, and NFL Network (As well as an addon for NFL Redzone).

However the biggest killer for Youtube Tv is PS Vue's wide range of channels. These include TBS (No NL games for youtubers this year) Tnt, and TruTv. This guarantees you every single march madness game, while you tube only offers cbs. This point can be made slightly mute by the NCAA's very liberal streaming site that rarely blocks out games as well as being pretty top quality.

Other channels are basically the same, Fx, Fxx, Disney, and Amc among others.

As for the UI and DVR I once praised PsVue on being by far the most streamlined and easy to use, far beyond anything cable provided. As well as a Bluetooth controller being heads over heels better then a completely inferior IR blaster remote control given with any normal cable setup. It also had one of the best DVR's, being unlimited but deleting after 28 days.  I can now testify against it. Youtube Tv has by far and large beaten Vue into the ground. The UI is gorgeous, even superior to the Playstation 4's version of PS Vue. The DVR is a truly unlimited one. Record anything you want, keep it forever, no cap. Can't beat that.

Going on to compatibility currently Vue has youtube beat. While Vue can run on almost any kind of device (Roku, fire stick, playstations, computers, phones, etc) currently Youtube tv can only run on Chromecasts, Android and computers. Though this is subject to change as not to long ago Vue could only run on Ps4's and Rokus.

For now I'm completely torn. Do I go 10 dollars a month cheaper and get Youtube Tv, get NBC and a smaller mainstream sports package (As well as a bar for every Cub game in the playoffs? Or pay slightly more for a wider sports package, the godsend bluetooth controller and a downgraded version of a DVR?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Youtube TV Vs Ps Vue
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »
I'm new to this discussion, but the packages you refer to are for one tv, correct?  If i want to be able to watch different shows on different TVs, what's the process? $35-$40 for each TV?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
I'm new to this discussion, but the packages you refer to are for one tv, correct?  If i want to be able to watch different shows on different TVs, what's the process? $35-$40 for each TV?
Oh I'm sorry I completely forgot about that point. The price is per household. Youtube allows 3 devices at once, while Vue allows 5 (1 ps4, 1 ps3, any combo of anything else) so long as they are all from the same ip.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Oh I'm sorry I completely forgot about that point. The price is per household. Youtube allows 3 devices at once, while Vue allows 5 (1 ps4, 1 ps3, any combo of anything else) so long as they are all from the same ip.
Not quite on the IP comment. If you are on mobile, you are OK too. Though, you may need to setup the mobile device initially on home network. I don’t recall though. I’ve also been able to get it rolling on a work computer, definitely different IP.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
Not quite on the IP comment. If you are on mobile, you are OK too. Though, you may need to setup the mobile device initially on home network. I don’t recall though. I’ve also been able to get it rolling on a work computer, definitely different IP.

Do you live close to your work? I know that Vue has issues determining ips from places within a few miles. But it's technically supposed to be arriving from the same place.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »
Do you live close to your work? I know that Vue has issues determining ips from places within a few miles. But it's technically supposed to be arriving from the same place.
12 miles or so.  And definitely different providers, comcast vs level 3.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
Any Hulu TV ppl out there?  Marquette hoops, Brewers and Bucks are the real I won't cut the cord (I live in MKE). 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 08:36:10 AM »
Old thread, but streaming related ..

Saw this post with some channel prices:

https://www.streamingmediablog.com/2019/01/live-ott-channel-costs.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »
My DirecTV contract is ending soon. Thinking about making the switch to a streaming platform.

Anyone have any updates thoughts? Currently, looking at YouTube TV or Hulu. But that's only because my friends have those. Any others I should consider?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:14 AM »
Old thread, but streaming related ..

Saw this post with some channel prices:

https://www.streamingmediablog.com/2019/01/live-ott-channel-costs.html

I can tell you those numbers are LOW in a number of cases.  Furthermore, they don't tell you the details that they force providers to carry them in many packages.  Distributors don't get to pick and choose. You want ESPN, you MUST carry EVERY DISNEY channel (now add up all those costs).  You want Cartoon Network, you MUST carry EVERY Viacom channel.  So on and so forth.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 10:38:47 AM »
YTTV wins

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »
My DirecTV contract is ending soon. Thinking about making the switch to a streaming platform.

Anyone have any updates thoughts? Currently, looking at YouTube TV or Hulu. But that's only because my friends have those. Any others I should consider?

YouTube TV is the best value, probably has the most content, and hands-down the best interface. I'm trying to think about what I liked about the other services more (Vue, Sling, Hulu TV) and I'm struggling. I believe Sling still has a cheaper option, so there's that, but it's not that good of a value.

For what it's worth, I have also had an easy time spoofing YouTube TV into thinking I am in the requisite viewing area for sports, if needed. If you like teams in your area then you have no worries, but I follow the Braves and Cowboys in addition to MU and Uconn basketball. I have never missed a Cowboys game since switching to YouTube TV due to miraculously relocating to the DFW area on Sundays. Some of the other services I've tried haven't been so easy to get around, but this could be different now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 12:51:01 PM »

For what it's worth, I have also had an easy time spoofing YouTube TV into thinking I am in the requisite viewing area for sports, if needed. If you like teams in your area then you have no worries, but I follow the Braves and Cowboys in addition to MU and Uconn basketball. I have never missed a Cowboys game since switching to YouTube TV due to miraculously relocating to the DFW area on Sundays. Some of the other services I've tried haven't been so easy to get around, but this could be different now.

Being addressed in Atlanta this week for Super Bowl.  One of the key agenda points at the meetings with broadcasters and OTT providers.  Why?  Because the local broadcaster where you live and pays $$ for jobs, taxes, etc, expects their broadcast will be seen and their advertisements seen.  They had to pay their affiliate fees so the local game would be seen.  That's how they stay in business.  Looking forward to that meeting on Thursday to address that issue and what the NFL, and more specifically the OTT providers will be doing to combat it.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
I've had DirecTV Now for over a year now and am still very happy. I was able to get in with the original AT&T Wireless Discount of $25 a month so that really helps. As it stands, DirecTV Now has the best channel lineup any of the streaming services. The only channel it doesn't have that I know some people would like is NFL RedZone. After that - It has all of the major contracts.

I will say that since I have a work mandated AT&T phone it helps a lot. I get $25 off DirecTV Now with HBO. I also have AT&T Fiber for my ISP so my DirecTV Now doesn't count against data cap.

I will say a big plug or PSVue is you can use a VPN to move your location around to out of market sports locally. It's not tied to your bill. DirecTV doesn't do that.

YouTube TV can also run on newer LG TV's (WebOS).
But I like to throw handfuls...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »
I've had DirecTV Now for over a year now and am still very happy. I was able to get in with the original AT&T Wireless Discount of $25 a month so that really helps. As it stands, DirecTV Now has the best channel lineup any of the streaming services. The only channel it doesn't have that I know some people would like is NFL RedZone. After that - It has all of the major contracts.

I will say that since I have a work mandated AT&T phone it helps a lot. I get $25 off DirecTV Now with HBO. I also have AT&T Fiber for my ISP so my DirecTV Now doesn't count against data cap.

I will say a big plug or PSVue is you can use a VPN to move your location around to out of market sports locally. It's not tied to your bill. DirecTV doesn't do that.

YouTube TV can also run on newer LG TV's (WebOS).

Cheeks will be by shortly to tell you about how your sins are ruining the lives of the middle class through job loss and missed taxes.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 02:22:15 PM »
Being addressed in Atlanta this week for Super Bowl.  One of the key agenda points at the meetings with broadcasters and OTT providers.  Why?  Because the local broadcaster where you live and pays $$ for jobs, taxes, etc, expects their broadcast will be seen and their advertisements seen.  They had to pay their affiliate fees so the local game would be seen.  That's how they stay in business.  Looking forward to that meeting on Thursday to address that issue and what the NFL, and more specifically the OTT providers will be doing to combat it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 02:29:39 PM »
Cheeks will be by shortly to tell you about how your sins are ruining the lives of the middle class through job loss and missed taxes.

I'm just telling you it is on the agenda at NFL meetings this week.  Local advertisers pay money for local viewers to see their products and services, which helps them stay in business.  If local viewers are cheating the system to watch games not in their market, those local ads don't get seen and the local businesses don't benefit. That means job losses and such.

Sorry Jesmu, just the way it is. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
I'm just telling you it is on the agenda at NFL meetings this week.  Local advertisers pay money for local viewers to see their products and services, which helps them stay in business.  If local viewers are cheating the system to watch games not in their market, those local ads don't get seen and the local businesses don't benefit. That means job losses and such.

I don't see local advertising on ESPN and the such on YTTV.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »

Do you really think NFL executives and elderly curmedgeons are the best hope at figuring out how to solve this "problem"? 90+% of these people need their children/grandchildren to help install apps on their iPhone, to print something out, etc.

We will start hearing about $250k fines and a FBI seal displaying before every broadcast about it. The point is to scare and dissuade the commoners from pursuing an easy end-around in the future.

While I totally respect your expertise on this area, I think you are overstating the extent of lost revenues, if any. This is a subset of a subset of a subset of a subset. Further, there is a point where spending the money to stamp out every last cheater does not make business sense. Non-technical people that ascribe to a simplistic view of "fixing the world" think that there is always a straightforward solution, one that includes bold, confident statements and reassured masses. This issue is complex and multifaceted. Even if they spent a great sum to fix it today, you will have 10,000 hackers with a lot of time on their hands creating a workaround tomorrow. Not to mention that 5, 10 years from now, technological "fixes" will be entirely irrelevant due to advances.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 09:14:24 PM »
Do you really think NFL executives and elderly curmedgeons are the best hope at figuring out how to solve this "problem"? 90+% of these people need their children/grandchildren to help install apps on their iPhone, to print something out, etc.

We will start hearing about $250k fines and a FBI seal displaying before every broadcast about it. The point is to scare and dissuade the commoners from pursuing an easy end-around in the future.

While I totally respect your expertise on this area, I think you are overstating the extent of lost revenues, if any. This is a subset of a subset of a subset of a subset. Further, there is a point where spending the money to stamp out every last cheater does not make business sense. Non-technical people that ascribe to a simplistic view of "fixing the world" think that there is always a straightforward solution, one that includes bold, confident statements and reassured masses. This issue is complex and multifaceted. Even if they spent a great sum to fix it today, you will have 10,000 hackers with a lot of time on their hands creating a workaround tomorrow. Not to mention that 5, 10 years from now, technological "fixes" will be entirely irrelevant due to advances.

You are entirely missing the point.  The NFL makes there money from television deals.  Soon they will make a big chunk from digital deals.  All of it guaranteed, not revenue shared.  So the companies that are paying guarantees are asking themselves, doing the math, running the models and saying WAIT A SECOND.  As people pirate, or find other means, I still have to pay you guys the same amount.  That isn’t flying anymore.

The digital folks have a lot of money, and they will be spending it very very soon.  But they also have the easiest platforms to compromise, and in a $$ guarantee world that is a problem.  If the pain was shared like many other tv deals, different story, but that’s not how it works with the NFL or with sports in general.  The risk is all on the buyer of the rights.  Whether that is the affiliate, the broadcaster, or tv provider.

Don’t under estimate the youth and intellectual folks working at the NFL.  The owners might be long in the tooth, but the people I deal with daily are 35 to 50, almost all Ivy League or Stanford or Notre Dame people.  Very smart, and they know how to make money like very few, because their bosses (the owners) demand it.  They are smart enough to hire people smarter than them to figure it all out.  There is nothing old or curmudgeons about the money part of that operation. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »
Any Hulu TV ppl out there?  Marquette hoops, Brewers and Bucks are the real I won't cut the cord (I live in MKE).

Yes!  I’ve got it down at my Az. home. Love it!  Switched from cox cable.  Changed internet to centurytel.  Got double the mbps(120) at half the price of cox.  I can turn it on/off at will without changing my internet which I need for my security cams, thermostat and pool controls.  Cox only allowed 2 on/offs and still charged $100/ month to keep you on hold.  Plus internet was like 80 mbps at its peak and $85/ month.

Ok bottom line, cox had very limited control at $185-260/ month vs Hulu live at $55-120/ month with stronger internet.  Leasing your modem-$55/ month or buy it outright for $150 I believe.  All I know is Hulu live provides me more than I need for my sports, plus I have Netflix and amazon prime
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 03:19:43 AM »

Sounds to me like maybe the NFL should make viewing games easier? Instead of awful blackouts and out of market games, let the viewer decide which game they want? Novel idea eh?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 05:19:33 AM »

Sounds to me like maybe the NFL should make viewing games easier? Instead of awful blackouts and out of market games, let the viewer decide which game they want? Novel idea eh?

Isn't that Sunday Ticket?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 06:54:30 AM »
Isn't that Sunday Ticket?

The contract is coming up I think in 2020 and there is talk that the NFL may join revolution of the rest of the sports world and stream games. I do like that MLB might get rid of all blackouts so you can even just buy the mlb streaming package without any cable options and watch your games in market. Seems like MLB gets it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 07:25:20 AM »
The contract is coming up I think in 2020 and there is talk that the NFL may join revolution of the rest of the sports world and stream games. I do like that MLB might get rid of all blackouts so you can even just buy the mlb streaming package without any cable options and watch your games in market. Seems like MLB gets it.

If the NFL starts streaming, I would greatly enjoy if they would give a team option. I'd rather pay $50 for Bears on vs $100 for the entire NFL

feedback