collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Home Schooling - LaMelo Ball  (Read 2624 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Home Schooling - LaMelo Ball
« on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:59 PM »
Anyone know the specifics of qualifying when you are home schooled?

LaMelo said he is excited about the change "because I can spend all my time now and dedication into it instead of going to school and doing book work".

Does the NCAA allow student who don't do "book work" to be eligible to play? And what kind of school would admit someone like that?

drewm88

• All American
Re: Home Schooling - LaMelo Ball
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:22:11 AM »
Between this and the shoe, seems like he's headed for a professional year in the G League or overseas before the NBA.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »
Does the NCAA allow student who don't do "book work" to be eligible to play? And what kind of school would admit someone like that?

UCLA

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
 I don't know how the NCAA feels about it,  but in certain states, the regulations surrounding homeschooling are very lax.  Some of them don't even have any testing or other means of determining if a homeschooled child is actually receiving an education.

I remember a story a few years back about a 12-year-old girl who had never spent a day in the classroom.  Her parent, who had simply never bothered to send her, was arrested.  One of the experts they interviewed said the parent could have avoided charges by saying that the girl was being homeschooled, because they would have no proof to the contrary.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »

LaMelo said he is excited about the change "because I can spend all my time now and dedication into it instead of going to school and doing book work".

Tim Tebow and Justin Jackson were home-schooled.
I have my doubts about what kind of academic rigor Lavar will impose, but homeschooling isn't necessarily a barrier to entry for the NCAA.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:21:03 AM »

Jokey, nontraditional courses are fine to satisfy NCAA requirements, subject to rather simple conditions. The key is test scores on a standardized test(s) and where that places you on the initial eligibility sliding scale.

Dad or internet gives him a 3.0 & he tests OK, no problemo

-----
14.3.1.3.2 Nontraditional Courses.
  • Courses taught via the Internet, distance learning, independent

study, individualized instruction, correspondence, and courses taught by similar means may be used
to satisfy NCAA core-course requirements if all of the following conditions are satisfied: (Adopted: 1/11/00
effective 8/1/00, Revised: 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate
institution on or after 8/1/10, 1/15/11 effective 1/14/12)
(a) The course meets all requirements for a core course as defined in Bylaw 14.3.1.2;
(b) The instructor and the student have ongoing access to one another for purposes of teaching, evaluating
and providing assistance to the student throughout the duration of the course;
(c) The instructor and the student have regular interaction with one another for purposes of teaching,
evaluating and providing assistance to the student throughout the duration of the course;
(d) The student’s work (e.g., exams, papers, assignments) is available for evaluation and validation;
(e) Evaluation of the student’s work is conducted by the appropriate academic authorities in accordance
with the high school’s established academic policies;
(f ) The course includes a defined time period for completion; and
(g) The course is acceptable for any student and is placed on the high school transcript.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
Hi JB!

I am pretty sure there is a difference between "nontraditional course" and "homeschool" per the NCAA regulations.  Non-traditional courses may be taught in the home setting, but "homeschool" means that a parent or tutor is developing the curriculum, teaching and evaluating.

If Ball is actually being "homeschooled" then the above reference would not seem relevant.  Is that correct?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »
Hi JB!

I am pretty sure there is a difference between "nontraditional course" and "homeschool" per the NCAA regulations.  Non-traditional courses may be taught in the home setting, but "homeschool" means that a parent or tutor is developing the curriculum, teaching and evaluating.

If Ball is actually being "homeschooled" then the above reference would not seem relevant.  Is that correct?

Yes, there is a difference b/w the two - It depends on what the Balls do (nh).... people use "home school" to describe what is really online... wouldn't trust the Balls to be precise in their language... nonetheless, yes, there are additional requirements for teaching done by parents or tutor

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/home-school-students
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »
UCLA

Thanks, Merritt. 8-)

After I typed the question the exact same thing popped into my head - along with a half dozen other names.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:29:06 PM by Jockey »

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:20:01 PM »
I wonder if he will still play high school ball. I know a home school team in wisconsin called SWCHA that is home schooled kids.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »
I wonder if he will still play high school ball. I know a home school team in wisconsin called SWCHA that is home schooled kids.

I believe the law in Illinois is that if you are homeschooled, you are allowed to join the sports teams of whatever public school you would have gone to. You just have to plug your ears and go "la la la"  if the other kids on the team  start talking about that evolution b.s.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »
I believe the law in Illinois is that if you are homeschooled, you are allowed to join the sports teams of whatever public school you would have gone to. You just have to plug your ears and go "la la la"  if the other kids on the team  start talking about that evolution b.s.

That is funny.