[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: State of Scoop  (Read 12386 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: State of Scoop
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »
Ah the eternal struggle of getting students to think of the core curriculum as something they simply don't *have* to do...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »
State of Scoop - I appreciated the effort with the Pollitics Board, and agreed with the decision to end the experiment.  The politics bleeding into BBall and Superbar threads is annoying, not respectful and mind numbingly repetitive. 

Core Curriculum - One Phil and one Theo class-  I think that is unfortunate, but change or die:  kids want a more “vocational” direction, and I get that, though I am glad that my two went the Liberal Arts route.  If memory serves, as a Lib Arts major, the requirement was 9 and 12 credits (it may still be).  Loved all but one of those classes (Christian Marriage - which I took with my now wife - was an awful, pedantically taught class). 

Hijacking Threads - Well... no matta

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 10:02:51 PM »
Core Curriculum - One Phil and one Theo class-  I think that is unfortunate, but change or die:  kids want a more “vocational” direction, and I get that, though I am glad that my two went the Liberal Arts route.  If memory serves, as a Lib Arts major, the requirement was 9 and 12 credits (it may still be).  Loved all but one of those classes (Christian Marriage - which I took with my now wife - was an awful, pedantically taught class). 

It was 9 THEO (Intro, Islam, Eastern Christianity) and 12 PHIL (Intro, Theory of Ethics, Philosophy of Art, Contemporary Ethical Issues.)

But if I think what they are trying to do is show how the core is more relevant.  Students can still take THEO and PHIL classes, but they have to be within a certain area.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
Wew lads.

Pretty funny when offensive people cry and crab about PC and snowflakes and then get their jimmies rustled by something smaller.

Oh, nope, that's just hypocrisy.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2017, 07:41:12 AM »
Core Curriculum - One Phil and one Theo class-  I think that is unfortunate...

Me too. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
Core Curriculum - One Phil and one Theo class-  I think that is unfortunate

Back in late 70s early 80s we had to take one philosophy (Logic was my PHIL course, easiest class in my 4 years at MU), one sociology and two Theologies.

I was an engineering major, and I took my two Theologies with a Dr. Segovia.  They were the most interesting classes I took at MU (which is why I took the second with him, he was an outstanding lecturer), and probably the only classes I actually enjoyed sitting in.  It is helpful to get kids out of their comfort zone.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
Funny you should mention that...

https://marquettewire.org/3976469/news/major-changes-coming-to-core-curriculum/

As a Catholic student at MU I was required to take 12 credits in both Philosophy (4 courses) and Theology (6 courses as each course was only 2 credits back then, and one of the courses was Christian Marriage with Father McEvoy) despite the fact that I doubled major in Biology and Chemistry.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »
As a Journalism major from 78-82, I had to take 3 Theo and 5 - five! - freakin' Philosophy courses. I ended up actually liking most of my Phil courses, which surprised me. The Theo courses I took, IIRC, were Old Testament, Judaism, and "Theism and Atheism." You waren't gonna get this ol' Bagelmuncher into no Jezzy courses!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
Funny you should mention that...

https://marquettewire.org/3976469/news/major-changes-coming-to-core-curriculum/
Just another example of the school dumbing things down to accommodate the pro Chicago State North crowd. Disappointing but in line with the whole political correct thinking prevalent these days.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »
Just another example of the school dumbing things down to accommodate the pro Chicago State North crowd. Disappointing but in line with the whole political correct thinking prevalent these days.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2017, 11:09:36 PM »

But we need to get those diversity numbers up to improve our WSJ ranking!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2017, 09:22:00 AM »

What the eff are you talking about?  Do you even have the first idea of why this is being done?  In fact, do you know ANYTHING about our university?  Just go away.

I respect folks who have differing views on the changing Core.  Those can be rationally debated.  But your statement is borne out of a complete ignorance of the facts facing the curriculum committee.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:26:47 AM by jsglow »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 11:07:13 AM »

Ummm...no.  At worst this is merely an advertising pitch, about having a progressive and evolving curriculum directed at educating students in an ever increasingly interdisciplinary world. 

The curriculum doesn't really change much, but they can sell it as the above without having to create a bunch of new courses (read hire new faculty).

At best, it is the university changing the core to better educate students for an ever increasing interdisciplinary world, with the intention of hiring new faculty and developing new courses to reflect these changes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:34:04 PM by forgetful »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
As a Catholic student at MU I was required to take 12 credits in both Philosophy (4 courses) and Theology (6 courses as each course was only 2 credits back then, and one of the courses was Christian Marriage with Father McEvoy) despite the fact that I doubled major in Biology and Chemistry.

Fr. MAC got me out of jail and connected me with a lawyer who cleaned my record, may he rest in peace.  MU was great before we gained elite status.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
Fr. MAC got me out of jail and connected me with a lawyer who cleaned my record, may he rest in peace.  MU was great before we gained elite status.

Marquette's national reputation has served me well, while not losing the personal charms you talk of locally and regionally. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
What the eff are you talking about?  Do you even have the first idea of why this is being done?  In fact, do you know ANYTHING about our university?  Just go away.

I respect folks who have differing views on the changing Core.  Those can be rationally debated.  But your statement is borne out of a complete ignorance of the facts facing the curriculum committee.

Come on Glow. We need rational posters like you. Here, you sound more like me 8-)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »
Come on Glow. We need rational posters like you. Here, you sound more like me 8-)

I should probably just put him on ignore.  Nothing useful to say.  Unfortunately HC has useful comments regarding hoops so tough choice.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »
HC has useful comments regarding hoops.

Particularly if you like neck-size and pogo-stick mentions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »
Particularly if you like neck-size and pogo-stick mentions.

Much value in neck size analysis.  8-)

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
Sultan is one of the obvious, begging-for-it people that must be banned before people who follow the rules leave.

Chitownwhatever is another. MU82 is begging.

All should be banned for months, announced to the community as to the length.

Most of us try to follow the rules. Chitown, Sultan.. they know they are defying it and don't care. My fear is that it's due to their alignment with the mods' beliefs. The mods' beliefs shouldn't come into this... but their inaction will force some hands.... not good.

If you can auto-change 'right', or 'skol vikings'... but not their words... or you can scream "NO POLITICS" but allow what they have said... might be time for me to exit. Hope not to.

Mods, please do the right thing.

Either change the rules, or have a heavy hand with those who openly scream, "I don't care if I get banned for this!!! I'm so righteous". You're pissing people off. It's your right to do whatever you wish, but you're upsetting a lot of your users.

There is a lack of common decency at times.  We are all going to have different viewpoints, disagreements, but the name calling isn't necessary.

Case in point. I provided some factual information about Maria because our family was in a state at the time of one of the bigger hurricanes of the last 50 years.  For providing factual information I was called a jerk and told what my views are, which he also got completely wrong. 

Can't we all agree to disagree at times without the personal attacks?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54409.msg948561#msg948561

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »
Marquette's national reputation has served me well, while not losing the personal charms you talk of locally and regionally.

I agree, in fact, more than well.  However, a great education is more than a great job.  It is a life well lived.  We have been going though an identity crisis for 50 years, change and transition is never easy.  On Scoop we have both the good old days and the new paradigm and sometimes we can't talk with each other.

Most of the old elite schools have a long standing culture.   That is how I would define them.  To see the Jesuit culture go to Venice, to see the elite culture go to Massachusetts.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2017, 01:23:10 PM »
Wait if we're talking about bad mods. Can we talk about when my first account was banned because I asked what happened in a game I missed because of O Chem?

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
Case in point #2.  The name calling.  It really is sad.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54503.msg950255#msg950255