[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: State of Scoop  (Read 12371 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
State of Scoop
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »
Sultan is one of the obvious, begging-for-it people that must be banned before people who follow the rules leave.

Chitownwhatever is another. MU82 is begging.

All should be banned for months, announced to the community as to the length.

Most of us try to follow the rules. Chitown, Sultan.. they know they are defying it and don't care. My fear is that it's due to their alignment with the mods' beliefs. The mods' beliefs shouldn't come into this... but their inaction will force some hands.... not good.

If you can auto-change 'right', or 'skol vikings'... but not their words... or you can scream "NO POLITICS" but allow what they have said... might be time for me to exit. Hope not to.

Mods, please do the right thing.

Either change the rules, or have a heavy hand with those who openly scream, "I don't care if I get banned for this!!! I'm so righteous". You're pissing people off. It's your right to do whatever you wish, but you're upsetting a lot of your users.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: State of Scoop
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:44:58 PM »
#ThanksTrump
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:56:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure that at least one of the mods has called me an SJW and "master of PC" (and not in a good way) before. So I'm not convinced that the mods (or least of all of the mods) political leanings go that direction.

I'm also only aware of one poster who's ever been given a vacation for politics (Keefe). I thought all the other ones were for general trolling. But I could be wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that at least one of the mods has called me an SJW and "master of PC" (and not in a good way) before. So I'm not convinced that the mods (or least of all of the mods) political leanings go that direction.

I'm also only aware of one poster who's ever been given a vacation for politics (Keefe). I thought all the other ones were for general trolling. But I could be wrong.

A lot more deserve it. And by their own admission. Some of your views, TAMU, I completely disagree with. I think they are horrible. But, you're not blatantly disrespectful of the site's policy (and most of the time you're thoughtful and usually on point)... guaranteed we differ politically, probably religiously.. but, I have no beef with that.

However, when little foreign living, no job having punks come on here and scream "screw this country I don't care if I get banned"... BAN THAT MF'R. Simple.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:05:08 PM »
A lot more deserve it. And by their own admission. Some of your views, TAMU, I completely disagree with. I think they are horrible. But, you're not blatantly disrespectful of the site's policy (and most of the time you're thoughtful and usually on point)... guaranteed we differ politically, probably religiously.. but, I have no beef with that.

However, when little foreign living, no job having punks come on here and scream "screw this country I don't care if I get banned"... BAN THAT MF'R. Simple.

As long as we're enforcing rules...

Respect other posters.  Insults, and flames will not be tolerated

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:06:55 PM »
As long as we're enforcing rules...

Where's the issue? No blatant disregard for the rules... unlike, "I don't care if I get banned!!!!!!!!!"

#StayInYoLane

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:58 PM »
Where's the issue? No blatant disregard for the rules... unlike, "I don't care if I get banned!!!!!!!!!"

#StayInYoLane

What is calling someone a "little foreign living, no job having punk" and "MF'R" if not blatant disregard for the rule of respecting and not insulting other posters?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 11:11:19 PM »
We don't have a lot of rules.  And clearly the ones we do have are too much for people to handle by themselves (JB, that means you too).  Trump set off a firestorm with his NFL comments, so now it's impossible to have an NFL thread without it being political.  So that one gets some leeway right now. 

Title IX thread?  I'll shut that down.  But people (Chicos! MU82! and others) need to stop taking these  isolated political threads and letting them bleed over to the other threads. 

I'm just about done with it.  Oh, and I do appreciate "reports" of politics.  But if you report, and then reply with a political slant in the thread, you're not really helping things.  Just a thought for some of you.

Oh, and if you don't like the moderation.  Please leave.  Don't just threaten it.  Thanks.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »
What is calling someone a "little foreign living, no job having punk" and "MF'R" if not blatant disregard for the rule of respecting and not insulting other posters?

Locker room talk.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »
We don't have a lot of rules.  And clearly the ones we do have are too much for people to handle by themselves (JB, that means you too).  Trump set off a firestorm with his NFL comments, so now it's impossible to have an NFL thread without it being political.  So that one gets some leeway right now. 

Title IX thread?  I'll shut that down.  But people (Chicos! MU82! and others) need to stop taking these  isolated political threads and letting them bleed over to the other threads. 

I'm just about done with it.  Oh, and I do appreciate "reports" of politics.  But if you report, and then reply with a political slant in the thread, you're not really helping things.  Just a thought for some of you.

Oh, and if you don't like the moderation.  Please leave.  Don't just threaten it.  Thanks.

My initial issue was about the Chitownxxx kid who said, "I don't care if I get banned, blah blah blah" and went off on a political ramp. Why is that not a ban? It's not about a thread getting shut down. There have been multiple people on here who have stated, "i don't care about the rules, eff you, i'm saying it!!!"

That's the issue. And it's bad.

Your response is "Please leave. Don't just threaten it. Thanks."

Nice, thanks for the hospitality. I see where you're at exactly.

I'll monitor to see if the appropriate changes are made. Maybe you'll get your wish. Thanks again.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 11:22:53 PM »
I'll monitor to see if the appropriate changes are made. Maybe you'll get your wish. Thanks again.

Hah.  Good thing we've got JB here to monitor us.  lol.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:38:06 PM »
Hah.  Good thing we've got JB here to monitor us.  lol.

Ridiculous.

This misogynist little creep wants to run the board now? -

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:54:01 PM »
Ridiculous.

This misogynist little creep wants to run the board now? -

In fairness, if it were one of our esteemed scoopers of your alignment who had started the thread using the exact same words (obviously, viced to versa), would you be calling them a misogynist little creep?  Meethinks not. 

Such is why we no longer have civil discourse in this country.  No principles, no consistency, no rules, no compromise, no understanding, no wisdom..... just "me, me, me, me, me, me, me, and maybe you (but only if you agree with me)."   Again, both sides here, folks.  I'm not pointing a finger at anyone , I'm pointing all ten and still coming up way short.

But that's not the real problem.  Try to think for yourself (i.e. not walk in lockstep with one side or the other), and you're ostracized by all.  Wonderful.  Reminds me of the words of a famous military leader:

"What makes a man turn neutral?  Power?  Lust for gold?  With enemies, you know where they stand but with neutrals?  They make me sick."

Ignorance and arrogance (ignorrogance?) knows not the bounds of philosophy.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »
In fairness, if it were one of our esteemed scoopers of your alignment who had started the thread using the exact same words (obviously, viced to versa), would you be calling them a misogynist little creep?  Meethinks not. 

Such is why we no longer have civil discourse in this country.  No principles, no consistency, no rules, no compromise, no understanding, no wisdom..... just "me, me, me, me, me, me, me, and maybe you (but only if you agree with me)."   Again, both sides here, folks.  I'm not pointing a finger at anyone , I'm pointing all ten and still coming up way short.

But that's not the real problem.  Try to think for yourself (i.e. not walk in lockstep with one side or the other), and you're ostracized by all.  Wonderful.  Reminds me of the words of a famous military leader:

"What makes a man turn neutral?  Power?  Lust for gold?  With enemies, you know where they stand but with neutrals?  They make me sick."

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »

Quite the impressive rant.

But I would ask you to think a bit more. Obviously, you and I differ greatly re: the state of the country/world. But I don't recall ever calling you names. Then again, I don't recall you calling me any names when you call me out, either. That is how it works. Despite our disagreements, I consider you to be consistent and intellectually honest (intellonest?). I respect what you post - even when you are snarkier than I.

JB is a different animal. Attacks posters at will and then whines like a melted snowflake. I have no problem calling him out in blunt terms.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 01:55:40 AM »
The people who tend to get booted add very little to the MARQUETTE discussion.  After all,  that is why we are here.... we are Marquette fans whatever your creed, politics, et al.

All of the people in this fight add a lot to this board as it relates to Marquette basketball and NCAA basketball in general.  I understand a lot of you disagree on various items such as politics but can we please find a way to get to basketball season so we can enjoy it.

I, for one,  would be disappointed if anyone left on their own volition or was booted.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 06:39:35 AM »
Methinks the OP who has LONG posting history of both homophobic and sexist comments should take a long look in the mirror.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 06:48:57 AM »
It's absolutely laughable that this was posted yesterday. So I assume we are also not going to discuss the FBI's investigation of NCAA basketball recruiting? That's politics in sports.

Politics and sports have always gone hand-in-hand in this country. They are linked closer than baseball is with apple pie. That's just reality. You can try to minimize it, and I think the mods have done a good job of that, but politics comes up in sports because sports are politics and politics sports.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »
A few items:

1. Behave.  I can't stress this enough.  We're ~all adults here, and most went to MU.  Act like it.   Really.  Do that, and things will go well.

2. We do our best.   We try.  We fail.  Sorry it's not perfect for you.  Here's your refund.

Frankly, I like political discussion, and very much wanted a political board but people couldn't adhere to point #1, so it was a failed experiment. 

We've always had a 'light touch' on moderating Scoop.    We try to moderate in the dictionary definition sense.  A tuck here, a prune there, and at worst, a timeout when things get beyond reasonable.  TBH, I'm not sure we've ever banned anyone and not let them come back.

Sports and politics do intersect, and I do leave lightly political posts to see how they play out.  Egregious ones get the axe, but often it starts with a weed and two hours later we've got a forest and impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Unfortunately, we've got users -- on both sides -- who need to point out the utter travesty when they read a Scoop post that they prefer not to view or doesn't comply with the rules.   I have some advice:

Get. Over. It.  Stop reading the thread.  Ignore the poster.   Move along with your lives.
Get. Over. It.  Stop reading the thread.  Ignore the poster.   Move along with your lives.

If you can't enjoy ~80% of Scoop and ignore 20%?  Dodds and IWB have boards, maybe you'll find your 100% there.  We'll welcome you back if you miss us. -- Or start your own site and bask in its awesomeness.   It's a real hoot, I encourage you to try it.

We're glad you're passionate.  But Scoop hasn't been perfect for its 10 years, isn't now, and won't be in the future.   Guaranteed. 

Enjoy your time here.  Really.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
A few items:

1. Behave.  I can't stress this enough.  We're ~all adults here, and most went to MU.  Act like it.   Really.  Do that, and things will go well.

2. We do our best.   We try.  We fail.  Sorry it's not perfect for you.  Here's your refund.

Frankly, I like political discussion, and very much wanted a political board but people couldn't adhere to point #1, so it was a failed experiment. 

We've always had a 'light touch' on moderating Scoop.    We try to moderate in the dictionary definition sense.  A tuck here, a prune there, and at worst, a timeout when things get beyond reasonable.  TBH, I'm not sure we've ever banned anyone and not let them come back.

Sports and politics do intersect, and I do leave lightly political posts to see how they play out.  Egregious ones get the axe, but often it starts with a weed and two hours later we've got a forest and impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Unfortunately, we've got users -- on both sides -- who need to point out the utter travesty when they read a Scoop post that they prefer not to view or doesn't comply with the rules.   I have some advice:

If you can't enjoy ~80% of Scoop and ignore 20%?  Dodds and IWB have boards, maybe you'll find your 100% there.  We'll welcome you back if you miss us. -- Or start your own site and bask in its awesomeness.   It's a real hoot, I encourage you to try it.

We're glad you're passionate.  But Scoop hasn't been perfect for its 10 years, isn't now, and won't be in the future.   Guaranteed. 

Enjoy your time here.  Really.

I’d rather not view this post so I’m going to report it
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 09:28:29 AM »
I’d rather not view this post so I’m going to report it

That's the spirit!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »
There’s a vocal minority here who just can’t let some stuff go. They try to get strength in numbers or at the very least, yell the loudest. Never seen it this bad and its escalating since last November 8. Frankly, BeeJay has a valid point.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:38:10 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »
topper and Rocky: Very much appreciate your posts and really appreciate you serving in your high-paying gigs as Scoop Monitors. I keep waiting for you to use some of your Scooply riches to treat the rest of us on an all-expense-paid trip to Hawaii - including lots of Kona beer and Kalua pork - but it hasn't happened yet. Cheap arses.

Disclosure: I actually was banned for a few days a couple months ago for too much Trumpiness in my comments. The mod did it quietly, in a polite but terse note to me. I deserved it.

Since then I've tried to avoid gratuitous "Trump sucks" types of posts. As a few others have noted, however, it's pretty impossible to avoid politics entirely with many of these very-much-sports subjects.

Also as a few others have said, always-angry posters who constantly resort to name-calling against everybody they have decided they don't like are far more insulting than any political thread. And yes, I did come up with "Boo-Boo," so I'm not totally innocent here, either!

What would be nice is if, before hitting that POST button, the poster re-reads his or her comment and asks himself or herself, "Did I go over the line here?" Maybe that's too much to ask, I don't know. Again, I admittedly have been guilty of posts I've later regretted.

Lastly, while I agree with stuff that most of y'all have said here, I agree mostly with topper's: Get. Over. It. Stop reading the thread. Ignore the poster. Move along with your lives.

A couple years ago, when chicos was particularly driving me nuts, I put him on ignore and it made my Scoop experience far more enjoyable. Sure, I could still see some of his posts if others responded to them, but I just moved along. Now, no matter the target, I'm more prone to shoot back a sarcastic one-liner because I find it fun and challenging to come up with one.

Oh, and JB ... this MF'R thanks you for starting this thread. I try to F my kids' M whenever I get the chance.

Peace out, everybody.

In before the lock!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:04:35 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »
I have been on very little over the past months, but I definitely believe there are folks that cross the line. The argument of ignore the thread or the poster is valid, provided they are posting within the rules. Frankly, I have vastly different political view than some on here and I try to keep those views to myself. When I am on, I hoping to read/discuss anything but politics.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
I think this thread may have cured my addiction to the Superbar. It's really too bad there were some great conversations, wish we could have civil discussions with only occasional insanity(I'm as guilty as anyone for occasionally getting my blood up and letting it impact my posting). However, based on what I see on the main board the SuperBar has gotten too caustic to remain isolated and the value of the SuperBar no longer exceeds it's cost. There are plenty of guilty parties and I'd just ask that people self reflect on what role they've had on increasing the animosity on a basketball board in a time where there is plenty of turmoil that we deal with in out daily lives so no need to add more.

/rant off
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback