'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 120913 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
Why should the NBA fix the NCAAs problems?

Why is an age limit even legal?

But because they want the best talent possible in their league presumably.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
Would love to see Coach Crean get a top drawer job.

At a mausoleum, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
I don't think putting an age requirement on the draft would change anything because...well, there already is one.

I also don't think eliminating the 1 year after your high school class graduates requirement would stop college recruits from getting paid by shoe brands and/or schools.

There will always be top available talent.  If you take away the Balls and Fultzs of the world from college basketball for a season they will be replaced by Omri Spellmans or Rawle Alkeninses of the world that schools/brands will then pay to pick a certain school.

Yah, only way to fix that is to come down hard on the guilty.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »

The age limit is legal because it is part of the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the union.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #404 on: October 11, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
The age limit is legal because it is part of the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the union.

So I could collectively bargain to keep people out of my union based upon their age?  Seems like a discriminatory practice.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #405 on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
So I could collectively bargain to keep people out of my union based upon their age?  Seems like a discriminatory practice.

The only age protected from discrimination is 40+.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #406 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:17 PM »
This is definitely a conspiracy theory but is it possible the NBA is the ones that pulled for this investigation? Maybe leaked info or something? Many of these kids would be going to the Gleague right away so the minor league system actually becomes a moneymaker for them.

Unlikely, the NBA is well aware that the problem with the Gleague isn't a talent issue, it is an interest issue.  They are aware that the draw of NCAA is the association with the colleges, not the quality of the athletes or the game. 

Getting the best players to the Gleague instead of the NCAA wouldn't change the attendance/interest level in either of the leagues.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #407 on: October 11, 2017, 09:09:11 PM »
The real underlying issue is that Stern screwed this all up when he made high school players go through a year of college before entering the NBA draft.

I can almost guarantee you that the one and done rule will cease to exist within the next three years.

Write an article about it, foreign anti-USA bro
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #408 on: October 11, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »

Why is it legal for insurance companies to charge more to males as compared to females? Ooooooh? Never hear yappin about that.

Join the #Principled truth and the #Righteous shall be revealed.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #409 on: October 11, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #410 on: October 11, 2017, 11:42:43 PM »
Why is it legal for insurance companies to charge more to males as compared to females? Ooooooh? Never hear yappin about that.

Join the #Principled truth and the #Righteous shall be revealed.

What?  Odd correlation.  Because statistically dudes die sooner and behave more recklessly leading to higher costs for insurance companies.  Duh.  And I ain't yapping about that because I was under the impression this was a basketball site.  I save my insurance thoughts for allstatescoop.com

Oh, and I think you should age discriminate yourself from using hash tags. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #411 on: October 12, 2017, 07:07:27 AM »
What?  Odd correlation.  Because statistically dudes die sooner and behave more recklessly leading to higher costs for insurance companies.  Duh.  And I ain't yapping about that because I was under the impression this was a basketball site.  I save my insurance thoughts for allstatescoop.com

Oh, and I think you should age discriminate yourself from using hash tags.

Chuckled at your response.  Anyway, to answer your question without being snarky it's important to know that 'protected class' is a quite restrictive list.  Race, color, religion, age (40+), and sex, with some extended interpretations from that.  This came up in the NFL discussion where an owner can absolutely fire a player for not anthem standing as an example.  On the other side, you can't fire a woman for being pregnant or a guy because he's Irish.  So in the original example, the young B-ball player is not protected.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #412 on: October 12, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
Lets talk about how Bill Self at Kansas will be the next domino

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #413 on: October 12, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
Lets talk about how Bill Self at Kansas will be the next domino

I'd love to!

MuMark

• All American

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #416 on: October 12, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »
That's big.

I'm not sure. I mentioned it in the other thread but there's a line in the actual response from the FBI that says "This is a standard notification given to all of our requesters and should not be taken as an indication that excluded records do or do not exist." If I'm reading that correctly, it could mean that there are no records but the FBI will not confirm or deny their existence due to the ongoing investigation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #417 on: October 12, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
I'm not sure. I mentioned it in the other thread but there's a line in the actual response from the FBI that says "This is a standard notification given to all of our requesters and should not be taken as an indication that excluded records do or do not exist." If I'm reading that correctly, it could mean that there are no records but the FBI will not confirm or deny their existence due to the ongoing investigation.

This is true.
It could mean something, it could mean nothing. The FBI as a  matter of policy - one they enforce pretty strictly except in rare exceptions - will say nothing about an ongoing investigation, including whether there is an ongoing investigation.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #418 on: October 12, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
BTW, if the NCAA was really concerned about one-and-dones, they would restore the freshman ineligibility rule.  But they haven't so I'm not sure they really are all that concerned.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #419 on: October 12, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
BTW, if the NCAA was really concerned about one-and-dones, they would restore the freshman ineligibility rule.  But they haven't so I'm not sure they really are all that concerned.

So they would over-react and solve a problem with an unrelated solution that harm everyone but the one and dones.  Yup good thought - sounds just like the NCAA. 

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »
So they would over-react and solve a problem with an unrelated solution that harm everyone but the one and dones.  Yup good thought - sounds just like the NCAA. 

It is a related solution. It would push one and dones away from college ball. And it is debatable that it harms other players. Sitting out for a year can be beneficial.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #421 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »
So...Pitino's opening salvo is to sue Adidas  Interesting play.  Apparently, Adidas was bribing players to attend Louisville without Rick's knowledge.

This leads me to two thoughts:  1) the usual suspects won't be circling their wagons this time -- it's every man for himself; and 2) suing Adidas signals that Rick knows that his career is over.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #422 on: October 18, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
ESPN has a brief interview with Rick Pitino where he denies knowing anything about a player being paid — and states that he passed a lie detector test administered by the FBI:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21064922/rick-pitino-stresses-no-knowledge-recruiting-scandal-cites-lie-detector-test

1) Maybe it's just me, but Slick Rick looks incredibly dodgy. Asked a simple question ("Did you know anything about that?") he gives a shaky "no" — then freezes speechless for about a second before continuing. He's trying to put on the charm like usual and Bilas is having none of it.

2) Pitino says "one of the toughest things you have to do...is take a lie detector test." I'd beg to differ; one of the toughest things you have to do is make the right choices. Why is taking a lie detector test tough if you're not lying? Yes, some people get nervous during tests and there can be false positives. Not the case here. He's lying.

3) The use and validity of polygraphs altogether is highly questionable at best. The National Research Council has found no evidence of effectiveness.

4) If the FBI asks you to submit to a polygraph test, do they really tell you the results afterwards? I guess it's possible. But this strikes me as one of the most unlikely aspects of Pitino's story.

5) What was the purpose of this interview in the first place? Pitino had already released a statement denying any knowledge. Who is he trying to convince?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #423 on: October 18, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
He's suing Adidas and Louisville, he's trying to build support. He's trying to get as much money as he possibly can. His earning power as a coach is OVER. He needs cash to keep up the lavish lifestyle IMHO

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »
ESPN has a brief interview with Rick Pitino where he denies knowing anything about a player being paid — and states that he passed a lie detector test administered by the FBI:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21064922/rick-pitino-stresses-no-knowledge-recruiting-scandal-cites-lie-detector-test

1) Maybe it's just me, but Slick Rick looks incredibly dodgy. Asked a simple question ("Did you know anything about that?") he gives a shaky "no" — then freezes speechless for about a second before continuing. He's trying to put on the charm like usual and Bilas is having none of it.

2) Pitino says "one of the toughest things you have to do...is take a lie detector test." I'd beg to differ; one of the toughest things you have to do is make the right choices. Why is taking a lie detector test tough if you're not lying? Yes, some people get nervous during tests and there can be false positives. Not the case here. He's lying.

3) The use and validity of polygraphs altogether is highly questionable at best. The National Research Council has found no evidence of effectiveness.

4) If the FBI asks you to submit to a polygraph test, do they really tell you the results afterwards? I guess it's possible. But this strikes me as one of the most unlikely aspects of Pitino's story.

5) What was the purpose of this interview in the first place? Pitino had already released a statement denying any knowledge. Who is he trying to convince?

First of all: that's a fascinating interview from a sociological perspective. In a single minute Pitino demonstrates nearly every textbook symbol that someone is lying - looking down and away, shifting the topic of conversation, and using animated hand gestures, to name a few. There's a reason why polygraphs are normally inadmissible in court!

Secondly: who the hell is this guy's attorney? Allowing him to go on TV and give such a weak performance the same day he files a lawsuit. I almost feel bad for the guy. Almost.