Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 120934 times)

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
It has also been going on for 5-years.  I wouldn't have a problem with it if it also applied to administrators/coaches/athletic staff. 

But it doesn't, all those groups are exempt from the salary freezes and have been seeing in some cases double digit gains.

How much of their gains are from outside $ sources, like a foundation, boosters, etc?  Vs the standard university salary payment?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2017, 12:40:17 PM »
Did they make similar efforts to improve academics?  No!  Even though they have lower quality faculty and faculty salaries, they froze faculty raise pools to a maximum of 2%. 

The "required over payment" is BS.  It was simply a way to try to justify pouring tons of cash into athletics and to make the power brokers more powerful.  It had nothing to do with performance or academics, indeed it hurt academics.

Shocker. Same thing happens daily at large corporations, hospitals, etc. More money to the top. Promises of "trickle down" effect. End result? The rich get richer and the bottom 90% suffer

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #377 on: October 08, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »
Shocker. Same thing happens daily at large corporations, hospitals, etc. More money to the top. Promises of "trickle down" effect. End result? The rich get richer and the bottom 90% suffer

I hate it that the QB gets paid way more than the other guys. So unfair. He couldn't do his job without the linemen doing theirs.

I hate it that top pitchers make more than anyone else, if it wasn't for the guys scoring runs for him.  So unfair.

Was so hoping this thread could stay away from the stuff, but alas.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #378 on: October 08, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
I hate it that the QB gets paid way more than the other guys. So unfair. He couldn't do his job without the linemen doing theirs.

I hate it that top pitchers make more than anyone else, if it wasn't for the guys scoring runs for him.  So unfair.

Weren’t you also hoping to stay away from MUScoop about a year ago with some super weird apology and story about the love of your life, which wasn’t your wife?

Or was that hoopaloop?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #379 on: October 08, 2017, 09:41:08 PM »

Is the QB also negotiating his linemen's contracts?  Dumb analogy.  Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #380 on: October 08, 2017, 11:24:56 PM »

People in power, at the top of their organizations, demanding their compensation be unequivocally high for pure individual short term gain and sell it as a benefit to everyone with no evidence that it has or will actually work.

Does that sound the same as a QB or pitcher negotiating their contract?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #381 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-college-basketball-scandal-20171010-story.html

Guy quoted in this article estimates that this scandal will lead to 40-50 head and assistant coaching vacancies in Division 1 basketball. Personally, I'll believe that when I see it....I can't even imagine the turmoil that could cause. An unprecedented coaching carousel.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #382 on: October 11, 2017, 01:18:58 PM »
Definite hearsay, but a guy I work with knows several D1 coaches and agents of coaches, and is very close with 1 major D1 coach in particular that told him upwards of 150 coaches (head and assistants) will go down, including many prominent names.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #383 on: October 11, 2017, 01:25:54 PM »
Definite hearsay, but a guy I work with knows several D1 coaches and agents of coaches, and is very close with 1 major D1 coach in particular that told him upwards of 150 coaches (head and assistants) will go down, including many prominent names.

If that were the case it’d be like the seen in dark knight when they arrest the entire mob and are charging them all at once
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #384 on: October 11, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
If those reports turn out to be even close to accurate, we will see the greatest amount of assistant coaches getting their 1st shot at head coaching positions as well as offers being thrown to former head coaches and possibly even NBA coaches/assistants.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #385 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
Buzz to everywhere.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #386 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »

If that is true, then the whole D-1 College bball landscape would have huge problems.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »
Buzz to everywhere.
Would love to see Coach Crean get a top drawer job.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Would love to see Coach Crean get a top drawer job.
Presuming Crean doesn't get caught up in the scandal, I think he lands a solid job anyway.  It won't take 150 coaches losing their jobs for him to get one.  Kevin O'Neill on the other hand...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:56:29 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »
This is definitely a conspiracy theory but is it possible the NBA is the ones that pulled for this investigation? Maybe leaked info or something? Many of these kids would be going to the Gleague right away so the minor league system actually becomes a moneymaker for them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #390 on: October 11, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
Just to be clear, the ~150 number included assistants.  It'd guess head coaches are in the 30-40 range.  But yes, still will have an enormous impact if even close to true.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #391 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »
The real underlying issue is that Stern screwed this all up when he made high school players go through a year of college before entering the NBA draft.

I can almost guarantee you that the one and done rule will cease to exist within the next three years.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #392 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »
The real underlying issue is that Stern screwed this all up when he made high school players go through a year of college before entering the NBA draft.

I can almost guarantee you that the one and done rule will cease to exist within the next three years.

I can guarantee you it will still be around.  It is part of the CBA with the union which is in force until 2022.  And "Stern" didn't put this rule in place.  It was collectively bargained.  The owners wanted it and the players let them have it.

Regardless, it's not the NBA's fault that these guys broke the law.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #393 on: October 11, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
Maybe the best way to solve the problem is to put an age limit on the NBA.  Must be 20 or 21 to be drafted means kids need to stay in college for at least 2 years.  May result in some kids going oversees, but I think it ultimately increases the CBB product as it would eliminate the 1 and done.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #394 on: October 11, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
There's an SI article (that I haven't read yet) that says "The NCAA is broken, but you knew that already.  Here's how to fix."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #395 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »
Maybe the best way to solve the problem is to put an age limit on the NBA.  Must be 20 or 21 to be drafted means kids need to stay in college for at least 2 years.  May result in some kids going oversees, but I think it ultimately increases the CBB product as it would eliminate the 1 and done.

Or eliminate it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #396 on: October 11, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
Or eliminate it.

Wouldn't putting an age limit on NBA draft eliminate it?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
Wouldn't putting an age limit on NBA draft eliminate it?

Eliminate the current age limit, is what I meant.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
I don't think putting an age requirement on the draft would change anything because...well, there already is one.

I also don't think eliminating the 1 year after your high school class graduates requirement would stop college recruits from getting paid by shoe brands and/or schools.

There will always be top available talent.  If you take away the Balls and Fultzs of the world from college basketball for a season they will be replaced by Omri Spellmans or Rawle Alkeninses of the world that schools/brands will then pay to pick a certain school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »
Eliminate the current age limit, is what I meant.

Why should the NBA fix the NCAAs problems?

feedback